Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I really can’t get enough of these dumbass messages. I might be a child, but every time someone writes “try fingers…” I laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Modal Auxiliary posted:

He also drops an (I think) +8 weapon that will completely gently caress up any low-level PVP build you might be trying for. Learned that one the hard way

you should build low-level around +8 weapons anyway, the only people deliberately avoiding Rogier's rapier are running around with their high-level friends to gently caress with people anyway, and regardless of if that's in your favor or not - you're in poor company.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Keep in mind that +8 is about equivalent to a +3 somber.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

a primate posted:

I really can’t get enough of these dumbass messages. I might be a child, but every time someone writes “try fingers…” I laugh.

Beware of up, dog

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

lol I can't believe the game pulled another 'nope, the map is EVEN BIGGER' when I took a teleport and got a view of farum azula.

Am I ever gonna finish this game? Signs point to no.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I'm replaying DS3, it feels downright claustrophobic and tiny compared to ER.

Vordt's GH is still the solution to 90% of PvE.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Elden Ring actually gave me a new appreciation of the fairly tight, compact 30 hour Dark Souls games. Game you can actually complete without taking annual leave

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

No Dignity posted:

Elden Ring actually gave me a new appreciation of the fairly tight, compact 30 hour Dark Souls games. Game you can actually complete without taking annual leave

Looking at my 60 hr Dark Souls 3 play time on Steam, only getting about halfway through the game probably.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It took me 63 hours to beat Dark Souls 1 and 65 hours to beat Elden Ring.

Please ignore any improvements at this kind of game design in between.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

No Dignity posted:

30 hours :shepface:

Just kidding that's probably where I would be at if I just sort of chugged along and didn't go too far out of my way. Definitely not the first playthrough

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
every souls game I've played, just like in Elden Ring, has seen my playtime bloated by hours upon hours of invading

think playthrough 1 of DS1 wrapped up at around 110 hours

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I just fired up Bloodborne and saw my old save had 98 hours playtime.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I went from Sekiro 30 hours to Bloodborne back to back so a complete run+ some new game doodling was 16 hours in that.

I made it to the "lol go kill some load bearing bosses" hard stop in Elden Ring so now Im just beating up random world bosses I find.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I take forever to finish any of these games, you really gotta drink in that first playthrough you never get another one better

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Paracelsus posted:

I tried popping into DS3 a couple months back but I just can't handle the reduced mobility compared to Sekiro/Elden Ring. Being able to jump just feels so much better.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Paracelsus posted:

Honestly the lack of a jump button alone makes it really hard for me to play dark souls anymore. Free jumping is just too good.

No Dignity posted:

If you skip most of the content you can beat Elden Ring very fast.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The only difficulty woth bee-lining Elden Ring as I see it is the lower level stones are spread out a bit since the game doesnt start linear funneling you until Leyendell.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

No Dignity posted:

i've been on the smaller, more focused experience train for years now, since the end products also tend to be better compared to the spiraling open world nightmares you otherwise get. i've been playing dragon's dogma 2 a ton lately and it's a great game, but it's also another case like elden ring where the butter for two slices of bread is being spread over three, and the endgame is a real drag to close out once you get there as a consequence

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I only recently played through ds1 and enjoyed the 30 hours of fun and adventure.

Now doing it again because I didn't know defeating the end boss was the point of no return. Wanted to do the dlc too.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
that beast incantation that heals over time is great for when you're just clearing dungeons and want to make the most out of your flasks, I also sometimes use talismans that heal on kill or on crit or whatever

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Vermain posted:

i've been on the smaller, more focused experience train for years now, since the end products also tend to be better compared to the spiraling open world nightmares you otherwise get. i've been playing dragon's dogma 2 a ton lately and it's a great game, but it's also another case like elden ring where the butter for two slices of bread is being spread over three, and the endgame is a real drag to close out once you get there as a consequence

this seems less like an argument against having a third slice of bread, and more like one for having more butter :colbert:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

wow rykard is a huge piece of poo poo at rl1. you can't just fry him because the unupgraded spear won't stunlock, and his phase two firestorm poo poo I've never even seen before is something else. took like a million tries :mad:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Zodium posted:

wow rykard is a huge piece of poo poo at rl1. you can't just fry him because the unupgraded spear won't stunlock, and his phase two firestorm poo poo I've never even seen before is something else. took like a million tries :mad:

it's a pretty spectacular fight if you actually let him do all his moves

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Zodium posted:

does rl1 also mean you can't upgrade weapons? i thought it just meant you can't level up

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Node posted:

it's a pretty spectacular fight if you actually let him do all his moves

it was a pretty cool and hard fight up until the firestorm stuff, just no getting through that if you can't take a hit and there are soon six hundred angry burning skulls chasing you while the dune boss tries to sword you. finally managed to interrupt his firestorm casts by saving the spear aow just for that.

Wafflecopper posted:

does rl1 also mean you can't upgrade weapons? i thought it just meant you can't level up

dunno. just seemed to make sense I guess, don't think anyone will put you in jail if you do.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
It is good and proper to take the spear, look at the giant serpent, think “hm,” and memory of grace out until Iji can put as many rocks in that pointy stick as you’ve got.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Zodium posted:

dunno. just seemed to make sense I guess, don't think anyone will put you in jail if you do.

fair enough. in for a penny, in for a pound, i dig that

i also will not be attempting any rl1 runs regardless of rules, so no game cops gonna put me in jail either way

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 28, 2024

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

it's actually super fun. you end up with maxed out consumables of all kinds and you gotta use them, try different weapons and affinities, sometimes multiple weapons for a single fight, trying this and that talisman or spell, treating each boss move as its own thing to master. would recommend even if you think you're not good at the game.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I get what they were going for with Rykard phase 2 but when he starts doing his big flashy moves it all becomes completely incomprehensible to me. Like it’s just a bunch of flashing colors on the screen and then I die.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

once the skulls start raining down you just wanna book it, if you’re sprinting they’ll hit the ground and disappear without hurting you

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zodium posted:

Upgrading weapons has no effect on stance damage just fyi.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I would have thought Rykard would be relatively trivial with the fight being balanced around an upgraded serpent hunter

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Mustached Demon posted:

I only recently played through ds1 and enjoyed the 30 hours of fun and adventure.

Now doing it again because I didn't know defeating the end boss was the point of no return. Wanted to do the dlc too.
This was my first of these games and counting the DLC I was at 80+ hours. It's interesting how mileage varies depending on order, but what was I doing in all that time, just throwing myself at bosses and Blighttown again and again and again and again?

I did play Demon's Souls and the remake much later and had a similar 30ish time. The answer obviously is that you learn From's design and it crosses over games.

HORSE OF THE YEAR
Jun 7, 2012

I was fighting the Regal Ancestor Spirit last night, and during its phase two transition, it up and died with half a health bar left.

It phased in to the ground, so I started walking around, waiting for it to reappear as one of the spirit animals, but noticed it was taking longer than usual. Then I heard the SHINK! of death and I was the new proud owner of a remembrance and some runes.

I thought they fixed these phase 2 death glitches for bosses, but I guess not!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

Upgrading weapons has no effect on stance damage just fyi.

hmm, not sure what was going on then. I could stagger him twice, then had to dodge two attacks before it would stagger again.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zodium posted:

hmm, not sure what was going on then. I could stagger him twice, then had to dodge two attacks before it would stagger again.

That's just normal. Even with optimal setup (serpent hunter in left hand, lance in right hand, doing crouching L1s) it takes like 5-6 hits to stagger him.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

huh. guess i never noticed before because he would just get deleted. crazy

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Was gonna say, I always understood it that the AoW specifically was a free instant stagger and that was key for phase 2. I don't even remember staggering him being a big part of the fight otherwise.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
First time I tried it, I didn’t realize that the standard attacks had the storm ruler effect so I burned all of my juice on the ash of war effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
My first time I was the opposite and staunchly refused to use the AoW at all to my inevitable detriment. But then, I also hammered phase 1 to death with blunt force just to see if I could.