Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ionicpsycho
Dec 25, 2006
The Shortbus Avenger.
I ruthlessly murdered Rykard, by equipping the Serpent Lance and then ganging up on him with my favorite NPC, Mimic Tear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum
The Serpent Spear has an AoW? I just spam R1.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Drain 001 posted:

The Serpent Spear has an AoW? I just spam R1.

Yea same, I didn’t know it did anything else

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I do strafing jump attacks with it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is there any reason not to use carian retaliation instead of any other parry?

Long window
Parries spells
Only uses fp on parrying magic

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Is there any reason not to use carian retaliation instead of any other parry?

Long window
Parries spells
Only uses fp on parrying magic

i believe golden parry has a modestly extended hitbox over it that can catch guys like the spear crucible knights more easily, but that's about it

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

a primate posted:

Yea same, I didn’t know it did anything else

I didnt know you could do normal ranged attacks with it when I first used it so I spammed the skill button

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
lol I got the blanket of Dolly Parton holding the moonlight greatsword

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Is there a particular reason to go through redmane castle before the festival?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Good loot, a boss fight.

Flame Strike ash of war!!!!! Also some smithing stone with elemental options.

All the doors are closed if you don't go before the festival. They'll open and repopulate the place with pre-festival enemies if you talk to Jesterman a few times/cycle with bonfire sits after killing Radahn.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

double nine posted:

The colossal sword you get from it is very strong.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

"IN PLACE OF KÄÄRIJÄ YOU WOULD HAVE LOREEN! NOT GREEN BUT BEAUTIFUL AND BEIGE AS 'TATTOO'!"

double nine posted:

No. You're in for the longest gauntlet in the entire game. The portals activate during the festival and stay up after and will save you considerable amount of time that would otherwise be spent trying to activate graces. The enemies will revert back after the festival so there is nothing to be gained going too early.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

you can easily pass the impassable greatbridge by sprinting and holding right or left until the catapults fire, changing sides, then double jumoping before impact. but i admittedly only spent time learning this because it's called the impassable greatbridge and we'll see about that. then just dodge the ballista riding up and hug the castle wall going right, climb the ladder and you're basically at the grace. there is no point besides spiting the game, but what more do you need.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

double nine posted:

The red-hot whetblade.

Zodium posted:

you can easily pass the impassable greatbridge by sprinting and holding right or left until the catapults fire, changing sides, then double jumoping before impact. but i admittedly only spent time learning this because it's called the impassable greatbridge and we'll see about that. then just dodge the ballista riding up and hug the castle wall going right, climb the ladder and you're basically at the grace. there is no point besides spiting the game, but what more do you need.

My favorite move is to jump off the side of the bridge with Torrent, then double jump back onto the bridge. If you’re in mid-air over a bottomless pit when the projectile strikes it won’t hit you. It feels very cool.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Epic High Five posted:

I take forever to finish any of these games, you really gotta drink in that first playthrough you never get another one better

:hmmyes:

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Man is there anything cooler than throwing out a bunch of fire and then whipping your sword through it to hit something? Every time I change my weapon art I think "but I want to be hitting this guy in the face with a flaming sword"

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Benagain posted:

Man is there anything cooler than throwing out a bunch of fire and then whipping your sword through it to hit something? Every time I change my weapon art I think "but I want to be hitting this guy in the face with a flaming sword"

bloody slash is cooler

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

im glad flaming strike works on katars, out of the limited options its one of the most comfortable choices

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

bloody slash is cooler

Lightning Strike supremacy.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Benagain posted:

No, it's hard to replace with something that is arguably more useful but inarguably more lame. It's basically my default ash of war for weapons smaller than colossals

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Epic High Five posted:

I take forever to finish any of these games, you really gotta drink in that first playthrough you never get another one better

I usually enjoy my first NG+ cycle way more than the initial run through Fromsoft games. It's so much better not having to deal with upgrade materials or worrying about getting ahead of or behind the progression curve.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land

Epic High Five posted:

It's this, plus I have the particular kind of brain damage that requires me to come as close to 100% on open world games as possible on the first playthrough. I am compelled to find all the secrets, pick up all the weapons I'll never use/not use for several playthroughs, etc.

Elden Ring has the additional bonus of having nailed the experience of coming around a corner on a trail/walking out of a tunnel/opening a door and being struck by an absolutely stunning vista of some new area. The first time I came out of the tunnel after Godrick and saw Liurnia spreading out before me, the first time I walked into Leyndell and saw the city below me and the giant door in the Erd Tree, the first time walking off the lift into the Mountaintop of the Giants...those were all-time great Gamer Moments for me.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I am kind of soured on games where you can't get everything in one run, I'm in my mid forties so one run is generally all a game gets out of me.

If it's particularly good I may replay it in a few years time but I'm definitely no longer a 'right, now to replay it but as a different class' type of person.

Unless of course there's a DLC coming out soon which is tempting me to hunt down all the mimic tears for more respecs.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I am kind of soured on games where you can't get everything in one run, I'm in my mid forties so one run is generally all a game gets out of me.

If it's particularly good I may replay it in a few years time but I'm definitely no longer a 'right, now to replay it but as a different class' type of person.

Unless of course there's a DLC coming out soon which is tempting me to hunt down all the mimic tears for more respecs.

the trick is to not waste hours of your time online researching every piece of content in the game, forcing yourself to be aware of the sidequests you missed that are obviously designed to be tackled in subsequent playthroughs

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Yeah but what if I miss a cool weapon, did you think of THAT.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The good thing about souls games is that most of the "different ending" is a 1 min different cutscene and not avtual story difference

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I still remember being so confused by the Farum Azula warp at the 4 belfries and then being extra confused by the giants cauldron because that's also the first spot you can clearly see it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Kill your brainworms and embrace the transient nature of existence.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I need to read all the item descriptions.

NEED

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

SHISHKABOB posted:

I need to read all the item descriptions.

NEED

This. You could miss out on hearing about a whimsical faerie cat!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

you said you were in your mid-forties

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The very thought of it sends chills down my spine :ohdear:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

scary ghost dog posted:

you said you were in your mid-forties
Just because I would put my back out even thinking about lifting some of these weapons doesn't mean my fantasy Barbie can't. The desire for a cool sword is eternal.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
What's a good halberd in mid-to-end game? I was using the one that drops from the Revenger earlier on, but now I've found a bunch more.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Nightrider Glaive + spinning slash = ez mode

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Listerine posted:

What's a good halberd in mid-to-end game? I was using the one that drops from the Revenger earlier on, but now I've found a bunch more.

Guardian swordspear is great but not much like any other halberd.

Cross naginata is technically a spear but behaves more like a halberd.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Listerine posted:

What's your build? Vulgar Militia Saw has innate bleed, which is fun. Nightrider Glaive has an S scaling on Heavy and hits like a dumptruck full of bags of cement. Commander's Standard is a Somber, STR-focused weapon and the AoW is a broadly useful buff that gives bonus damage and damage reduction, albeit only for like 30 seconds.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I'm going pure Str this time.

There's too many weapons to choose from in this game!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Highly recommend Howl of Shabriri as a buff for anybody looking to spice things up. Flat damage buff of 25% to all types, but you take like 30% more damage. Last the standard 30 seconds most buffs do, good for a strong start to a boss fight or a quick restart to try again

Body buff iirc so it will stack with golden vow for extra damage and taking a but of the edge off, but it means no crab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I’ve only ever played quality builds with no magic because reasons but now I’m in the market for a ranged magic or incantation I can use in lieu of a crossbow. Any suggestions?