Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you put enough points into it you can just swing at something and flatten it while it tries to kill you, it's very funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I like the struggle and also to see the enemy do their moves so anything that trivialises the fight is just boring for me. But power to you unga bunga guys

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Zodium posted:

gonna commit thread heresy by admitting i don't understand the appeal of unga bunga bonk. my favorite weapons are powerstanced noble slender swords or misericorde with a carian retaliation shield. winged/halo scythe also pretty win.

My unga bunga experience is basically just using the Kirkhammer in Bloodborne and a (moonlight) greatsword in this, but it is extremely cathartic to hit the enemy so hard it stunlocks them consistently, or pancake them.

Imho you should just play a Souls game with what is your personally sickest weapon. Using a giant anime sword whose existence defies reason is, like, pretty cool, but mixed attacker/mage knight type characters are the raddest poo poo imho so I tend to not go all in on unga bunga most of the time.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Yea I used that massive hammer for a bit, it’s surprisingly fun to just flatten anyone who challenges you.

Might do a mace build at some point.

scary ghost dog posted:

what a waste. you shouldve used it to shift roughly eight levels in or out of endurance, depending on how specialized you feel you need to be

:hmmyes:

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
twin maces has been great since dark souls 2. recommend beating the drum sometime

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

No Dignity posted:

You can also just like, use a shield sometimes? Some enemies have rapid but low stagger attacks that can be difficult to dodge but trivially blocked and maybe even make the enemy recoil and open them up for a counter, shields are just a tool in your moveset that can be used when the situation is right

yeah if you're measured and judicious even the worst rickety shield is useful

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

a primate posted:

I gave one to Boc today and it did not feel good. Especially since I didn’t realize you needed to use the prattling pate to get his good ending :(

It might not have mattered. In my current run, I did that, got the speech for the good ending...and still found him dead right outside the library.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ornamented Death posted:

It might not have mattered. In my current run, I did that, got the speech for the good ending...and still found him dead right outside the library.

wait, WHAT

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
If there's one thing the DLC adds, I hope it's weapons that can cast, or an ash of war that allows casting. Even if the weapons or shields that could cast weren't always great, they were a lot of fun to use, and ER has a ton of nice quick spells to take advantage of, or buff spells that don't care about scaling.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
What triggers Boc asking for the tear? In one of my chars I never used the prattling pate and he's just chilling in Leyndell ready to tailor my garments.

It's also funny that the whole city gets buried in ash and he doesn't care.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Zodium posted:

wait, WHAT

It's probably a bug. Very irritating though, there are few enough happy endings in this game that having one nuked by a random bug is extra sad.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dirk the Average posted:

If there's one thing the DLC adds, I hope it's weapons that can cast, or an ash of war that allows casting. Even if the weapons or shields that could cast weren't always great, they were a lot of fun to use, and ER has a ton of nice quick spells to take advantage of, or buff spells that don't care about scaling.

I miss using the izalith staff with the spell that sticks a sword on the end of your catalyst, to make a cool magic glaive.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Ironslave posted:

No, you cannot. You can swap between "weird eyes" and "normal eyes," not what kind of weird eyes you want. Flame overwrites blood overwrites dragon.

Yeah not gonna lie this is pretty frustrating cause the dragon eyes look kicks the poo poo outta the bloodshot ones, I was sad to see there be priority to these effects. You really should be able to pick between the 3, not sure why it's programmed the way it is :shrug:

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Mentat Radnor posted:

I love having a tiny shield with Carian Retaliation strapped to my back while 2-handing big bonks or greatswords, because being able to quickly 1-hand and parry comes in clutch against a lot of humanoid enemies (and other players). Ice Crest shield might be my favorite because it looks fancy as hell, only weighs 3, and gives +40 Robustness even when it's just on your back.

I love all the little round shields. :3:

I always grab the gilded iron shield super early.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zodium posted:

gonna commit thread heresy by admitting i don't understand the appeal of unga bunga bonk. my favorite weapons are powerstanced noble slender swords or misericorde with a carian retaliation shield. winged/halo scythe also pretty win.

Everybody's got their preferences, but the big appeal of the caveman lifestyle, for me at least, is the easy and consistent stance breaks. There are a lot of bosses that you can pretty much stunlock with well timed charged attacks with 2h great hammers.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

White Light posted:

Yeah not gonna lie this is pretty frustrating cause the dragon eyes look kicks the poo poo outta the bloodshot ones, I was sad to see there be priority to these effects. You really should be able to pick between the 3, not sure why it's programmed the way it is :shrug:

Your tarnished’s just permanently gone off that loud*

* optimal rune farming

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Was trying to play the perfect Golden Order paladin but I was tempted by how great dragon incantations are so I ended up with yellow snake eyes.

So I threw on the Banished Knight set for symmetry.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I decided to subscribe to PSPlus again, so I'm able to do co-op, and I joined a couple of game in Elphael. I managed to get a ton of runes to get three levels (up to Lvl136 now), and I was able to help in a three-on-one fight against Malenia.

That gave me the gumption to try taking on Malenia myself, so I boosted the Mimic Tear up to +8, and I switched the dual Great Stars from Heavy to Flame Art, and entered the arena. Surprisingly, I was able to make it through the first phase, and into the Goddess of Rot phase, though immediately after it started, I got killed by the Scarlet Aeonia. I made a couple more attempts, but I wasn't able to make it back to the second phase.

Still, the fight seems to be easier than I was expecting, but maybe that's because I'm cheesing it with the Great Stars doing stagger, fire, and bleed damage.

Augus posted:

in a similar vein, Sekiro is tuned to put you in the shoes of a master ninja acting with precision and lethality.

That's why I've been hesitant to pick up Sekiro, because it seems to requires you get really good at parrying, and you don't have the RPG elements to fall back on (or at least, that's the impression that I got from the little that I've seen and heard of Sekiro)

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

No Dignity posted:

Reddit-rear end post

It wasn't serious but it's funny how mad people get when you call shields users bad. I would say they are on average the most boring playstyle only after Mage.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Who gives a gently caress how other people play this mostly single player game

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I know in my heart of hearts that I'm playing this game, and any Soulsbourne, worse than any other player imaginable.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Fister Roboto posted:

Everybody's got their preferences, but the big appeal of the caveman lifestyle, for me at least, is the easy and consistent stance breaks. There are a lot of bosses that you can pretty much stunlock with well timed charged attacks with 2h great hammers.

I just made an honest go at dual wielding daggers (one was Misericord) with a new confessor character and after not being able to absolutely wreck house I decided to go back to two handed great swords at least. After getting rocked three times by Anastasia in Caelid of all things I knew it was time to move on so I equipped the Lordsworn’s Greatsword and hosed her up on the next try.

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

I dream of humans and goblins co-existing peacefully
Barging back into the thread to say that I’m deep into AC6 and it owns.
I don’t even care about gundams usually.
But I care about THESE gundams.

Fromsoft really make games don’t they.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

everyone who doesn't play exactly like me is a noob or deluding themselves into thinking they're having fun when they're actually very bored, and I must convert them, or at least force them to admit my superiority

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Max Wilco posted:

That's why I've been hesitant to pick up Sekiro, because it seems to requires you get really good at parrying, and you don't have the RPG elements to fall back on (or at least, that's the impression that I got from the little that I've seen and heard of Sekiro)

yeah but deflects in sekiro are different from parries in souls games. the timing is way more generous and there's no startup or recovery frames, if you deflect too soon you just block the attack instead.
there are ninja tools that you can use to tilt certain fights in your favor but they have limited uses.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You can beat Sekiro by kiting the bosses and hitting them for physical damage at the end of strings where you safely punish*. I know this because I did it and it wasn't even that hard. If you put the effort in to learn the block/parry system its even faster and the game wants you to do that.

Honestly its big mistake is mikiri counter, a thing the game is obviously built with in mind, is an optional purchase.

*Centipede demons exempt

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Dr Cheesequake posted:

They seem like one of the few places left that make actual games, rather than engagement machines to power a storefront.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Dr Cheesequake posted:

Barging back into the thread to say that I’m deep into AC6 and it owns.
I don’t even care about gundams usually.
But I care about THESE gundams.

Armored Core is why I gave Dark Souls a chance. Glad to know it works in reverse.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

No one cares how others play, I was saying for me shields and mage feel boring compared to other builds. I am currently doing a mage build this game definitely has the best selection of spells though.
The shield weapon from the dlc looks interesting tho.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Max Wilco posted:

I decided to subscribe to PSPlus again, so I'm able to do co-op, and I joined a couple of game in Elphael. I managed to get a ton of runes to get three levels (up to Lvl136 now), and I was able to help in a three-on-one fight against Malenia.

That gave me the gumption to try taking on Malenia myself, so I boosted the Mimic Tear up to +8, and I switched the dual Great Stars from Heavy to Flame Art, and entered the arena. Surprisingly, I was able to make it through the first phase, and into the Goddess of Rot phase, though immediately after it started, I got killed by the Scarlet Aeonia. I made a couple more attempts, but I wasn't able to make it back to the second phase.

Still, the fight seems to be easier than I was expecting, but maybe that's because I'm cheesing it with the Great Stars doing stagger, fire, and bleed damage.

I thought that too going into Sekiro but it turns out it is incredibly generous provided you are doing what the game wants you to do. Instant deflects even mid-attack and huge windows, blocking is 100% damage mitigation, no stamina bar, etc. The last game I played that made me feel like the devs WANTED me to beat it as much was Hades.

Now, mind you, it isnt an easy game, it's just very fair in a way that oftentimes makes it MORE frustrating because you know it is your fault if you die. It's all worth it though because no game has ever had as good a combat system

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

Sekiro is definitely one of the hardest games on the first run especially if you never played a parry playstyle in souls games or any game with tight parry mechanics.

But if you can get to the 2nd Genichiro fight and learn to parry in that. You can get through the whole game.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Bulldozing enemies with a shield is impractical but fun.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Shields are actually a really aggressive playstyle in ER if you build for it. You're already stacking strength if you go unga bunga, toss in some endurance to carry a great shield and wall 90% of attacks, bounce half of those, and get in as many guard counters as you can as fast as you can. Guard counters feel great and drat near every boss can be forced to take a knee.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
You can also guard counter with the shield if you two hand it. It’s not good. But you can.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Tbh I forget guard counters even exist, I'm too accustomed to parrying.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

You can also guard counter with the shield if you two hand it. It’s not good. But you can.

why would you do this when you can double shield. block with one shield, guard counter with the other

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Might I interest shield users in a game theyd enjoy better, known as "Stardew Valley"...?

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

I love it when dudes take so much time to hot swap they forget I’m attacking them! Duels never seem to get old for me. Can’t wait for the DLC to get more people in the colloseum!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh697lI4FVA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Zwingley posted:

why would you do this when you can double shield. block with one shield, guard counter with the other

the bonus strength scaling adds 1 extra damage.