Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I seem to have forgotten so many specifics, but some things return like dread, instantly

replaying for the DLC, go down a long elevator, freeze in PTSD after I see Ainsel River

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Doomykins posted:

Shields are actually a really aggressive playstyle in ER if you build for it. You're already stacking strength if you go unga bunga, toss in some endurance to carry a great shield and wall 90% of attacks, bounce half of those, and get in as many guard counters as you can as fast as you can. Guard counters feel great and drat near every boss can be forced to take a knee.

Good to know I will check them out then. I thought they are more defensive like in DS1-DS3.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Beating the poo poo out of things with a shield has always been an option iirc. It's definitely viable in DS3 and Elden Ring.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Horace Kinch posted:

Beating the poo poo out of things with a shield has always been an option iirc. It's definitely viable in DS3 and Elden Ring.

DS1 and DS2 both have shields intended to do damage as well. I can’t think of one in Demon’s Souls but that doesn’t mean it can’t be done

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Fromsoft laid clever mechanical traps within the design of the game itself, like seeding a hundred different shields everywhere. If you use any of them you're a noob. :smuggo:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I'd use shield builds in Stardew Valley if they had any. :mad:

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Horace Kinch posted:

I meant the r2 button for certain weapons had special attacks but the weapon arts since ds3 is what I meant. I don't use shields but I can see those giving them more offensive capabilities.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

You can’t parry without a shield, checkmate purists

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

a primate posted:

You can’t parry without a shield, checkmate purists

my parry setup is uchigatana mainhand wakizashi w/ dagger parry offhand

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I did parry w/ executioner's greataxe and the assassin's daggers.

Works p.good.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Parry on a Mace, call it a Maim Gauche

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Shield bash is an underused mechanic and is a fantastic way to gently caress up people in PvP with their roll timing.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
the coiled shield is my favorite for shield surprises.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

dialhforhero posted:

Shield bash is an underused mechanic and is a fantastic way to gently caress up people in PvP with their roll timing.

i had an insane pvp duel with an invader yesterday that had me using my whole kit, lots of mixups, and it was neck and neck until they hotswapped to the fingerprint shield mid-combo and destroyed me with a single shield bash

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ulio posted:

Good to know I will check them out then. I thought they are more defensive like in DS1-DS3.

shields are way more effective and fun to use in elden ring. the guard counter is very satisfying, does lots of stagger damage, and rewards knowledge of boss movesets since you need to know when there is a proper window and proper spacing after an attack to pull off a counter.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

What are some fun strength builds to unga bunga Malenia? I've been getting through her first phase with a bloody stone club and stone shield but it doesn't feel up to par for phase two.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Cash Monet posted:

What are some fun strength builds to unga bunga Malenia? I've been getting through her first phase with a bloody stone club and stone shield but it doesn't feel up to par for phase two.

big stick + prelates charge ash of war + bloodflame incant.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Cash Monet posted:

something with cragblade

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I seem to have forgotten so many specifics, but some things return like dread, instantly

replaying for the DLC, go down a long elevator, freeze in PTSD after I see Ainsel River

When I saw those giant ants my first playthrough I immediately froze for a few moments and debated just never going in there ever.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Malenia will frequently stagger from a greatsword using Lion's Claw. Use a mimic tear and just keep her on the ground for half the fight. At least in my experience.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Beaten Godrick in my second attempt though I almost managed to beat him in my first but got too greedy on my attacks for my own good and got killed for it.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

mohg spear AoW also destroys malenia, i beat her second try my first playthrough and was like why's everyone whining about her so much? lol

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I beat Malenia yesterday! :toot: I smithed the dual Great Stars up to +23 and the Mimic Tear to +10, though what I think what made the final difference was switching out the Claw Talisman for the Twin Blade Talisman, making the L1 attacks do some extra damage on the final attack.

I'll post a video once I have time.

Epic High Five posted:

I thought that too going into Sekiro but it turns out it is incredibly generous provided you are doing what the game wants you to do. Instant deflects even mid-attack and huge windows, blocking is 100% damage mitigation, no stamina bar, etc. The last game I played that made me feel like the devs WANTED me to beat it as much was Hades.

Now, mind you, it isnt an easy game, it's just very fair in a way that oftentimes makes it MORE frustrating because you know it is your fault if you die. It's all worth it though because no game has ever had as good a combat system

Ulio posted:

Sekiro is definitely one of the hardest games on the first run especially if you never played a parry playstyle in souls games or any game with tight parry mechanics.

But if you can get to the 2nd Genichiro fight and learn to parry in that. You can get through the whole game.

I remember doing parrying in DS1 and BB. With DS1, that's how I beat Gwyn. With BB, though, I think I started to give up on parrying after a point, because I could never figure out when you were supposed to shoot an enemy. I know specifically with Gascoigne, I finally overcame that fight once I stopped trying to counter every single attack and just focused on dodging and attacking.

It sounds like it's not as harsh as I think it is, and it's on sale on Steam right now, but I should probably finish Elden Ring first, so I'm ready for Shadow of the Erdtree when it comes out. Plus, in regards to samurai games, I've still got to finish Nioh 2, and I've been wanting to pick up Rise of the Ronin. Still, I'll keep it in mind.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
There's no way that this game plays acceptably frame-rate-wise on a PS4, yeah? Sekiro already gave mine (not sure if Pro or not) fits sometimes during crowds.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
It runs fine on PS4, though the load times leave something to be desired

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Zwingley posted:

It runs fine on PS4, though the load times leave something to be desired

I can probably live with load times, honestly. If frame rate worries aren't a big issue that'd thrill me, because I'd love to be able to at least start the original game before the DLC comes out. I was on twitter when Elden Ring dropped and everybody I knew was having the time of their lives. My buddy got me into Bloodborne recently (favorite game ever, single-handedly revitalized my dormant interest in seriously gaming) and then Sekiro (jesus CHRIST!). I still have to finish Bloodborne (gotta get Old Hunters before the final bosses) but I might have to pull the trigger on PS4.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Cash Monet posted:

Heavy (or Blood or Cold) Guts Greatsword with either Lion's Claw or Giant Hunt ash of war is a classic way to do it; either ash absolutely pancakes/juggles her, and the poise damage is immense so you'll end up getting plenty of riposte opportunities.

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

I dream of humans and goblins co-existing peacefully

Mentat Radnor posted:

Heavy (or Blood or Cold) Guts Greatsword with either Lion's Claw or Giant Hunt ash of war is a classic way to do it; either ash absolutely pancakes/juggles her, and the poise damage is immense so you'll end up getting plenty of riposte opportunities.

Heavy Greatsword with giant hunt is absolutely the way to go. Gives you lots of breathing room (by Malenia standards).
If you really want to power through the fight, then do the above setup with a +10 mimic.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

Criminal Minded posted:

I can probably live with load times, honestly. If frame rate worries aren't a big issue that'd thrill me, because I'd love to be able to at least start the original game before the DLC comes out. I was on twitter when Elden Ring dropped and everybody I knew was having the time of their lives. My buddy got me into Bloodborne recently (favorite game ever, single-handedly revitalized my dormant interest in seriously gaming) and then Sekiro (jesus CHRIST!). I still have to finish Bloodborne (gotta get Old Hunters before the final bosses) but I might have to pull the trigger on PS4.

I did my first Elden Ring playthrough on PS4 and nothing chugged nearly as badly as, say, the crowd of monkeys in Sekiro. I think it'll be fine for you

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Starchscourge Radahn. Lord Breadmane.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Solumin 10 minutes ago 
Bakers, welcome!
The starches have aligned! The bake-off is nigh!
General Radahn, mightiest chef of the Catering, awaits you!
Bakers, prepare for batter! Defeat the General, claim glory, and grab that Great Recipe!
A celebration of bread! The Radahn Festival!

-- Sous Chef Jerren

Allow me to present you the full banquet... General Radahn is cursed ever to hunger.
Now he gathers the croissants of former friends and foes alike, gorging on them, like a dog. Howling at the sky.
-@zed

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I'm thinking of going for a STR+INT build. Any catalysts good for a hybrid setup or should I just roll with the Meteor Staff and call it a day?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Horace Kinch posted:

I'm thinking of going for a STR+INT build. Any catalysts good for a hybrid setup or should I just roll with the Meteor Staff and call it a day?

Meteor is really quick to get and good enough to start with. demihuman queen staff will start to outdamage meteor in mid/late game and is usually the best option up to like 40 INT.

There is no STR/INT catalyst sadly. Fingers crossed for the DLC.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

dialhforhero posted:

if you know you won't immediately need stamina to dodge after you can shield bash to guard any amount of incoming damage without getting guard broken even if you go into stamina debt. it's a great way to gently caress over opponents that try to guard break you with heavy hits

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

God bless you Storm Blade. You pick that up so early in the game but man can it carry you to safety when you need it to most, severely underrated ash of war :discourse:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
That ash kicks a lot of rear end

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
That ash helped me early in the game because I was not having a lot of luck going toe to toe with banished knights in Stormveil

Grayshift
May 31, 2013

Horace Kinch posted:

Echoing another poster, the Meteorite Staff is nice for earliest Limgrave, but 20 int w/ Demi-Human Queen's Staff starts outpacing it as early as +6 and is top general staff all the way to 41 int/+14.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Augus posted:

shields are way more effective and fun to use in elden ring. the guard counter is very satisfying, does lots of stagger damage, and rewards knowledge of boss movesets since you need to know when there is a proper window and proper spacing after an attack to pull off a counter.

Good to know. I did dex build at launch , now mage and probably gonna do one more before dlc. I totally forgot guard counter, I remember using shield once to check shield bash which is a great ash of war.

Also the ranged mage is getting tedious close to the end, you power through almost everything. I want to get into the thick of it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
melee mage with carian slicer, greatsword and piercer is an extremely fun build. carian slicer even has jump and roll attacks