Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Young Orc

Ulio posted:

^Nice to see more people getting into these games.

https://twitter.com/EXDragonith/status/1403140856865955840

This also needs the mushrooms from ds1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

This game better have fishing. :colbert:

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
enemy designer be like "i sat down two years ago and started sketching but no one ever told me to stop"

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Don't talk to me or my son ever again

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Hype reaching critical levels.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Don't talk to me or my son ever again

Hahaha

Blind Rasputin posted:

Can you all just loving imagine the VG stream already? How has no one discussed this. We demand calendar accountability. Sorry VG late January/early February is NOW BOOKED.

It is locked and loaded my good sir!

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Aidan_702 posted:

I can't imagine any other game where GRRM's involvement makes so much sense but it also so wasted. What are there like two people in the world only interested because Big George is helping?

This could've been in collaboration Henry Kissinger and I'd be throwing a £200 pre-order at them if they asked

From the minds of the people who brought you the most important game of the last decade and the most infamous war in American history comes.. Bloodborne 2

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Love this Smough-looking dude

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

I would be mad if From DIDN’T make it crossgen. Everyone alive deserves to have access to their games. Regardless of financial ability/discord or Twitter stalking to get a new one capability. I don’t have a doubt that the game will take full advantage of the New gen hardware while also running on old consoles. If it was Ubisoft or some other dev who would just get lazy I’d be worried, but From ain’t that. They will do it right. Everyone will get access to it. That’s good.

Me too. I don't know if I'll even have a PS5 by the time it comes out so I'm glad to be able to keep on truckin on PS4 for now.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Yeah if you look at DS3 and Sekiro built for PS4 they still look amazing, so there is no question this is going to be great as well.

Maybe the upcoming PS5/X version will be a bit more NuDes like, but I am not bothered if not.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I wasn't impressed by the trailer. It looked low detail due to being an open world game. I'm still buying it at launch and going to enjoy it, just felt like everything looked underdone.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
fromsoft games have never been graphical powerhouses or anything and this was already announced as a previous gen game, so idk why anyone was expecting this to be the prettiest game ever. it looks fine though, just a refinement of their house style with a little more detail & better lighting that you'd expect it to have. the fantastic art direction is really what carries the look of it, even more than previous fromsoft games.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I prefer the sparser detail style of Dark Souls 1 over the greebled crumbling-stone-everything of Dark Souls 3 anyway, so I thought it looked great.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

lih posted:

fromsoft games have never been graphical powerhouses or anything and this was already announced as a previous gen game, so idk why anyone was expecting this to be the prettiest game ever. it looks fine though, just a refinement of their house style with a little more detail & better lighting that you'd expect it to have. the fantastic art direction is really what carries the look of it, even more than previous fromsoft games.

It looks less detailed. I'm not commenting on the graphics. The interior shots in particular just looked sparse. From games aren't the prettiest but I feel like there's always a fair bit going on.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Love this Smough-looking dude

try getting the lordvessel now, you little hollow poo poo

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

lih posted:

TBH I was hoping that with their previous success and the leap to an open world game they'd invest in tech more. There's a limit to how long you can say "well Fromsoft games are never technical showpieces".

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
If you have played NuDes (on the mythical unreleased PS5) I get why people want a graphical powerhouse From Game.

It is the best looking game I have played (imagined) but there is nada wrong with the art direction on any of the other games and this looks fantastic too.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
From a storytelling perspective these games are definitely becoming a parody of themselves (does this new game set in a new world really need to center around "embers" and "extinguishing a flame?"), but from a gameplay perspective this one really looks like a breath of fresh air. All of the enemies, bosses, etc, shown look a lot more creative, interesting, and fun than most of the content in dks3.

IMHO each Dark Souls sequel has felt a little greyer and less fantastical than the last, and I'm extremely pumped that this one seems like it's reversing course in a big way.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 11, 2021

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

VideoGames posted:

If you have played NuDes (on the mythical unreleased PS5) I get why people want a graphical powerhouse From Game.

It is the best looking game I have played (imagined) but there is nada wrong with the art direction on any of the other games and this looks fantastic too.

Yeah demon's souls is absolutely crazy. It's very hard to walk away from that game and not want more, but I wasn't expecting it from this.

I just hope open world doesn't mean this game feels bare. Sekiro's environments are so rich and interesting to explore. The art delivers.

I'm sure in the end I'll feel like the opposite about Elden Ring because I'll just go wandering off somewhere and find some neat thing and get that open world "I'm the only one that's seen this" feeling, which will be super awesome in a From game with From sensibilities.

JBP fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 11, 2021

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Demon's Souls isn't a FROM game anymore and they had nothing to do with the remaster so I wouldn't look to that with any form of expectation whatsoever.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Volte posted:

Demon's Souls isn't a FROM game anymore and they had nothing to do with the remaster so I wouldn't look to that with any form of expectation whatsoever.

Wants aren't expectations.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Volte posted:

It showed what was possible, and there's no real reason From couldn't match it.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Comrade Fakename posted:

It showed what was possible, and there's no real reason From couldn't match it.

expecting from software to make a game as graphically excellent as the demons souls remake is kinda ridiculous. bluepoint had the luxury of having every design and gameplay mechanic built for them already. they also had sony breathing down their necks to produce a game that made the ps5 look amazing (they succeeded).

from is a different dev studio with a totally different set of strengths than bluepoint. games aren’t made magically by throwing money into a bucket and having a thing come out, there are people and teams and management involved that are going to vary hugely across the industry. from software is still working with an iteration of their original demons souls engine because they know how to make good games with it, but it definitely is not capable of pushing visuals like bluepoint does.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The lamest possible complaint I could imagine for this game especially after watching that trailer a dozen times.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Looking forward to cooping a Soulslike again! I wonder if there will be pvp as well

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Firstborn posted:

I am kind of bummed that it's also last gen. I get it... but it still stings a little.

You are bummed that the game that was up until yesterday only announced for last gen is also coming out on last gen?

If anything the biggest surprise is that it's actually getting a PS5/Series X upgrade at launch, given Fromsoft's history.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

punished milkman posted:

expecting from software to make a game as graphically excellent as the demons souls remake is kinda ridiculous. bluepoint had the luxury of having every design and gameplay mechanic built for them already. they also had sony breathing down their necks to produce a game that made the ps5 look amazing (they succeeded).

from is a different dev studio with a totally different set of strengths than bluepoint. games aren’t made magically by throwing money into a bucket and having a thing come out, there are people and teams and management involved that are going to vary hugely across the industry. from software is still working with an iteration of their original demons souls engine because they know how to make good games with it, but it definitely is not capable of pushing visuals like bluepoint does.

Yeah, why would I expect a software company to make good software? Graphical/technical prowess isn't magic, these games make From a shitload of money, they can afford to just hire programmers. It's not unreasonable to expect that one of the most anticipated games of the year would have significant investment in it.

It's not a huge issue, it's not a dealbreaker, but it's something that I had hoped would have changed and hasn't.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

The lamest possible complaint I could imagine for this game especially after watching that trailer a dozen times.

Seriously

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Comrade Fakename posted:

Yeah, why would I expect a software company to make good software? Graphical/technical prowess isn't magic, these games make From a shitload of money, they can afford to just hire programmers.
Do you think if you just fill up the fuel tank with enough Programmer Energy then the games become proportionally better looking or something

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Volte posted:

Do you think if you just fill up the fuel tank with enough Programmer Energy then the games become proportionally better looking or something

If by "the fuel tank" you mean money and "Programmer Energy" you mean hiring a larger team of well-managed programmers to work on the graphics technology of their games, then yes.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Aidan_702 posted:

I wonder what the 'you never die' conceit is...there's this from the site but uh I still don't know what it means.

"And now the guidance of grace will be brought to the Tarnished who were spurned by the grace of gold and exiled from the Lands Between. Ye dead who yet live, your grace long lost, follow the path to the Lands Between beyond the foggy sea to stand before the Elden Ring."

I assume you've been banished to some limbo dimension and found by a firekeeper waifu to....kill everyone

Lands Between sounding very DS2

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I seem to recall talk of this being ~open-world, are we still expecting that?

My best guess is, as someone else said already, is large interconnected DS/BB areas separated by SOTC-esque horse riding over barren wastelands. However I also think that those more barren areas are somehow going to be dedicated to PVP summoning of some sort.

Blind Rasputin posted:

It looks gorgeous op and I don’t give a poo poo. The combat looks like it is going to be amazingly crisp and heavy at the same time.

Just watched the trailer a third time. No tarnish to be found anymore but still rubbing

Yeah, while I personally predicted that it had jumped to next gen good on FROM for making it available to a larger audience. It's obvious that the trailer was assembled using their highest-spec and the game is certainly no slouch in terms of assets, but as with all recent FROM titles the primary focus is on quality quality conceptual and artistic design.

I will say that this is the first FROM title since Bloodborne that really seems to graphically build on BB's incredible fabric, fur, and hair...and the attack animations of that tree-faced boss, the wolf boss, and the dude with many arms all really call back to stuff like Gascoigne, Laurence, and Ludwig. BB still has the best looking clothes of any FROM title, and it looks like they might've adopted whatever strategy here as well.

Ulio posted:

I am not mad about it being cross gen, imo Fromsoft's games look fine on a technical level but most of the beauty of their games is the aesthetics, atmosphere and art style. That's why Bloodborne is still one of the best looking games just because of the aesthetics.

Completely :same: , I've never cared about the performance of FROM games at all and many of them have run like complete crap while still having the best concieved aesthetic design out there. Sekiro was a wonderful surprise because not only was it beautiful but it ran great right from the get go, which gives me confidence that FROM have learned how to optimize a little better over the years. Nevertheless, they're still not the largest studio in the world so I hope people can temper their expectations a bit, because the pressure must be enormous. Bamco knows they sitting on another huge hit.

lih posted:

it's Dark Souls except open world and this time they got the Game of Thrones guy to write all the background lore stuff that's going to be communicated exclusively through item descriptions

GRRM wrote the background but Miyazaki and co are writing the flavortext.

Polo-Rican posted:

IMHO each Dark Souls sequel has felt a little greyer

We've already gone over this, Ashen One... ;-*

Volte posted:

You know what, this simply isn't true. The original DeS/BB were both very much influenced by the culture and work of Japan Studio, and not only were they very much present with the remake but Bluepoint absolutely got Miyazaki's blessing for the project. I guarantee it wouldn't have been made otherwise. nuDeS is wildly faithful to the artistic ambitions of the original game, to the point where I'm really surprised that certain things were left in, and the people who talked poo poo can suck an egg.

Groovelord Neato posted:

:emptyquote:

Comrade Fakename posted:

Yeah, why would I expect a software company to make good software? Graphical/technical prowess isn't magic, these games make From a shitload of money, they can afford to just hire programmers. It's not unreasonable to expect that one of the most anticipated games of the year would have significant investment in it.

It's not a huge issue, it's not a dealbreaker, but it's something that I had hoped would have changed and hasn't.

Bloodsouls titles are very successful considering their budgets, but compared with CoD and GTA they might as well be considered niche titles.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
If you wanted this game to come out like a year later, maybe. Holy poo poo I can't believe people are complaining about the visuals.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Colonel Whitey posted:

If you wanted this game to come out like a year later, maybe. Holy poo poo I can't believe people are complaining about the visuals.

goons know how to entertain

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Thinking about that dragon grabbing that spear of lightning.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VideoGames posted:

huge Divine Sakura Dragon vibes, yo where my girl Tomoe be at??

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

huge Divine Sakura Dragon vibes

What. A. Boss.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Bearer of the Seek Seek Lest

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

horse horns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

VideoGames posted:

It reminded me of the DS1 opening cutscene with Seath and Gwyn