Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

a primate posted:

I’ve only ever played quality builds with no magic because reasons but now I’m in the market for a ranged magic or incantation I can use in lieu of a crossbow. Any suggestions?

If you're just looking for anything that you can use to hit an opponent to grab their attention and maybe do a little damage, go for glintstone pebble for minimal investment. If you want to be able to do physical damage at range, maybe stone of gurranq. If you want maximum range, try frenzied burst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

a primate posted:

I’ve only ever played quality builds with no magic because reasons but now I’m in the market for a ranged magic or incantation I can use in lieu of a crossbow. Any suggestions?

Ranged ashes of war like Storm Blade or Ice Spear can help give a bit of range to melee builds.

For incantations, Lightning Spear does good damage at range, and only needs 17 Faith (melee builds can benefit from having at least 15 Faith for the Flame Grant Me Strength buff, or even up to 25 for Golden Vow).

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Thanks, I’ll check those out. I wanted to deal some damage ideally, and have some tracking if it’s slow moving. I’ve seen frenzied burst in action, seems like it would work.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can I interest you in the spectral lance ash of war :v:

If you're already specced for just hitting people with things then all you need is a spear or halberd type weapon and some smithing stones.

It hits pretty solid, has incredible range (is affected by arrow's reach talisman) and tracks a little too. Only downside is if the enemy is physically short then it tends to hit at their feet unless you're fairly close. But it's great for staggering stuff and you can technically headshot people with it.

If you use the short spear it's only a little heavier than a seal and very FP efficient. Plus you can also hit people with the spear if you want to.

Honestly whatever character I build I end up picking up spectral lance because it's just so incredibly useful to be able to hoy a spear at some fucker from across the map. Great for pulling enemies, knocking flying bastards out of the sky, shooting dragons in the head, finishing off people who try to run. Probably my #1 AoW in the game honestly, much as I love nebula I use spectral lance far more.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 30, 2024

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum
And if you put Spectral Lance on a Guardian Swordspear (poise wrecking halberd disguised as a spear) and then chug a Stonebarb Crack Tear potion you can stager bosses easily.

For true magic Black Flame has pretty good range and does great damage with a lot of faith.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

a primate posted:

night comet is a good crossbow replacement, the ai won’t try to dodge it. the range isn’t as good though, you might want to use cannon of haima and loretta’s greatbow as well.

the staff of loss gives night comet a 30% damage boost, and holding one in each hand gives it a 69% damage bonus. if you have godfrey’s icon equipped, that raises it to a 94% damage bonus on charged night comets

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Of course, you need a second staff of loss which is either ng+ or requires an online drop. Bring back bonfire ascetics!!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Also bring back the spices. Dark Souls 2 had a lot of good ideas they should bring back.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

"IN PLACE OF KÄÄRIJÄ YOU WOULD HAVE LOREEN! NOT GREEN BUT BEAUTIFUL AND BEIGE AS 'TATTOO'!"

a primate posted:

Imo, spells are bothersome as a supplement when focusing on melee (with weapons) because you need to invest not only in your casting tool, but also spread your stats even wider (and sometimes into talismans as well). I usually build characters using one or the other - either focus on casting spells or rely on weapons. Haven't found a good way to mix the two like in DS3 (I miss you pyromancer). I did manage to create a pretty silly dexterity int build that used hidden weapon, unseen form carian slicer, and urumi - mind you, this is from pvp perspective. With enough worms in your brain you can make torches work in pve.

The suggestions so far have been good. I personally prefer ashes of war over spells and want to toss in some more unique ones that compete with ranged spells.
-Quality has storm blade aow, plus for getting it early (Leyndell war master's shack) and it is surprisingly reliable, flashy not so much.
-Dex has beast roar (AoW rewarded by Gurrang), mid damage, but drat is it hard to dodge. It also staggers. Regular thunderbolt aow (Royal capital) is exactly like the spell but in a weapon, also solid but mid game (unless you twink it). Aow scales with dex unlike the spell. It is also faster and costs less fp, for some reason.Bolt of Gransax (royal capital) hits like an actual lightning bolt, insane range but, again, mid to late game item.
-For faith there's Halo scythe(found in Caelid) and black knife (found in Altus). Black knife's blade of death is situational in pvp, but crazy good in pve, and the spell variant you don't get until after Farum Azula. Halo scythe's ring of light is an improved version of the AoW you can infuse into polearms, with better range, slight delay and better targeting. The basic ring of light (also Caelid) is not that good. Golden land: I've tried to make it work, tried. It is trash.
-For int there is glintstone pebble (stormveil or roundtable) that is surprisingly good, despite not being that spectacular. Glintstone kris is similar, except that it hits like a truck and is without question the best dagger in the game. Getting it is a hassle (kill Radahn, defeat Rennala, do the entire Sellen questline). Death ritual spear is simply amazing, but it is a late game item (mountaintops of giants), then there's the gimmicky family heads - flail (Altus) that summons homing skulls. It's a flail, so not very good, but I'm trying to figure a way to use it in invasions.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The glintstone pebble ash isn’t great as a ranged attack exactly because it doesn’t have much range (worse than the spell, which doesn’t have great range to begin with).
But it’s still well worth using due to low cost, high damage, and especially the combo. Follow up the pebble with a strong attack to do this ridiculous lunge. The Kris version has it to but takes till after Radahn to get, but pebble can be gotten as soon as you can find Rogier. It’s best for sorcerers but one of my go-to early game ashes on any character, together with sacred blade. so powerful for how easy it is to get.

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

Nuebot posted:

Also bring back the spices. Dark Souls 2 had a lot of good ideas they should bring back.

ds2 spices! i remember those. like sceptic spice: the worst spice girl. all the rest were into girl power and good-time melodies, and sceptic was all like i dunno, oo i'm not sure about that, etc. total buzz kill. glad they kicked her to the curb.

edit: ds2 was the best multi-player ds. it was totally the one that got all of us actually soulsing simultaneously in the same instance. really dunno why it's considered such a black sheep; game was rad.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do miss having the greatshield dunk, there's shield bash and shield crash which are both cool but DS2 if you pressed L2 with a greatshield it would just dunk the bottom of it onto the enemy's head and flatten them. So much fun.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

a primate posted:

the black knife and halo scythe aows have been my bread and butter weapons for my low level runs, especially black knife. rotten breath is probably my most used spell.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

dingo with a joint posted:

ds2 spices! i remember those. like sceptic spice: the worst spice girl. all the rest were into girl power and good-time melodies, and sceptic was all like i dunno, oo i'm not sure about that, etc. total buzz kill. glad they kicked her to the curb.

edit: ds2 was the best multi-player ds. it was totally the one that got all of us actually soulsing simultaneously in the same instance. really dunno why it's considered such a black sheep; game was rad.

There are a lot of legitimate complaints about the game with things like soul memory being really bad, the game shipping with a hosed up lighting engine half baked from what the previews all promised and other stuff. But most of the complaints people tend to have about it, in my experience, tend to center around things like "empty rooms" and "too many dudes in armour" which are just :effort:. The spices were very silly because they let you use spells people absolutely wouldn't expect you to whip out. They really crippled the damage of those spells, but it could be worth it for the fun and utility alone. I'd love to see a similar mechanic in elden ring, given how many really cool spells and miracles it has.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

One thing I think would be fun is if you could craft scrolls and drop them in other people's worlds. Like you summon help for a boss and the dude drops a scroll that will do one cast of Comet Azur at his stats (so at like 80 int). So you have this consumable that you can drop at any time as a gift from your mysterious friend.

I had something like that in a catacomb where i summoned someone who dropped a bunch of upgrade mats, what I assume were NG+ armour duplicates and a cold enchanted battleaxe, which was cool of them.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

if you need a ranged replacement for a crossbow just cut the crap and use comet azur

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the crossbow is the worst ranged option in the game so you could probably replace it with bone darts

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Crossbows are great, they're fast-firing sidearms you can put in your offhand to deal damage and maintain stance damage when your main weapon won't reach. Load em up with status bolts and you have a great supplement for your builds that requires little to no stat or upgrade investment.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

Crossbows are great, they're fast-firing sidearms you can put in your offhand to deal damage and maintain stance damage when your main weapon won't reach. Load em up with status bolts and you have a great supplement for your builds that requires little to no stat or upgrade investment.

im skeptical

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i beat radahn at sl1 with no summons using an unupgraded pulley crossbow

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
I can't wait to try out those shield weapons in the DLC. I haven't used a shield in Elden Ring yet but man those look cool.

Rudicron
Oct 30, 2013

It's Lunchtime!

Get yourself a hotdog!

a primate posted:

Tungsten posted:

night comet, staff of loss, godfrey’s icon

For pulling purposes, Ambush Shard has pretty decent range, which can be augmented by the Arrow's Reach talisman. (E.g., at the Gatefront grace, the soldier by the wagon is just outside the normal range, but just inside the range with the talisman.) Unfortunately, it's got the same weakness as a lot of sorceries, in that moving targets will just walk past it. (also, it needs lock-on to do its thing.)

One of the things I also enjoyed on my sorcery run is Roiling Magma, since its projectile hitting world geometry has a pretty large attention radius, so un-aggroed enemies will go to investigate, whereupon it will blow up in their face.
Drawbacks are that the range isn't great, and the projectile fizzles out without effect if it reaches the end of its range, or if it hits any entity (including destructible props.) It's also just a timed detonation versus the proximity trigger of DS2's Lingering Flame (which was really neat in the Chariot fight.)

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Also for super long range it's hard to beat the AoW on Radahn's Greatbow, I've used it in STR/INT builds and have wiped out entire gank squads in a single volley from across the map. It's also obscenely useful in corridors.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Magic glintblade is actually the best pulling spell. The delay is annoying at first but it's actually a net positive because the AI can't dodge and you can frontload a ton of damage or have a few seconds to reposition or swap gear or whatever before the spell fires.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Goatson posted:

Imo, spells are bothersome as a supplement when focusing on melee (with weapons) because you need to invest not only in your casting tool, but also spread your stats even wider (and sometimes into talismans as well). I usually build characters using one or the other - either focus on casting spells or rely on weapons. Haven't found a good way to mix the two like in DS3 (I miss you pyromancer). I did manage to create a pretty silly dexterity int build that used hidden weapon, unseen form carian slicer, and urumi - mind you, this is from pvp perspective. With enough worms in your brain you can make torches work in pve.

The suggestions so far have been good. I personally prefer ashes of war over spells and want to toss in some more unique ones that compete with ranged spells.
-Quality has storm blade aow, plus for getting it early (Leyndell war master's shack) and it is surprisingly reliable, flashy not so much.
-Dex has beast roar (AoW rewarded by Gurrang), mid damage, but drat is it hard to dodge. It also staggers. Regular thunderbolt aow (Royal capital) is exactly like the spell but in a weapon, also solid but mid game (unless you twink it). Aow scales with dex unlike the spell. It is also faster and costs less fp, for some reason.Bolt of Gransax (royal capital) hits like an actual lightning bolt, insane range but, again, mid to late game item.
-For faith there's Halo scythe(found in Caelid) and black knife (found in Altus). Black knife's blade of death is situational in pvp, but crazy good in pve, and the spell variant you don't get until after Farum Azula. Halo scythe's ring of light is an improved version of the AoW you can infuse into polearms, with better range, slight delay and better targeting. The basic ring of light (also Caelid) is not that good. Golden land: I've tried to make it work, tried. It is trash.
-For int there is glintstone pebble (stormveil or roundtable) that is surprisingly good, despite not being that spectacular. Glintstone kris is similar, except that it hits like a truck and is without question the best dagger in the game. Getting it is a hassle (kill Radahn, defeat Rennala, do the entire Sellen questline). Death ritual spear is simply amazing, but it is a late game item (mountaintops of giants), then there's the gimmicky family heads - flail (Altus) that summons homing skulls. It's a flail, so not very good, but I'm trying to figure a way to use it in invasions.

One reason you hear about strength being a good match for secondary casting is because, if you're two-handing at least (which you should be because posture damage and hyper armor are so good), strength can still do top tier damage with plenty of points to spare since you only need 54 strength to get to the 80 strength soft cap. Short spear, daggers, fist weapons, light shields, it's all good. More button presses than I normally like - I usually just keep my seal in slot two next to my main weapon since a shield is always useful but I can't attack with two different weapons at once. I think casting with R1 makes me a bit deviant tho.

Ashes are just basically spells and if you instead want some low weight spell sticks in your hotbar that works just as well, and it's something I use as well, usually for Black Flame Tornado. The base scaling of the ashes is something I don't think I've ever thought about, as with the whetblades you can change it to whatever you want barring elemental restrictions. For int, give the Clayman's Harpoon a shot, it's one of the only weapons that has base elemental that can get an ash so you can double up, and it's very good with cold infusions iirc.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

"IN PLACE OF KÄÄRIJÄ YOU WOULD HAVE LOREEN! NOT GREEN BUT BEAUTIFUL AND BEIGE AS 'TATTOO'!"

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

Needs more Pvp data.

I still can remember this one co-invader i met in ds3 who was absolute beast using off-hand light crossbow. I was a scared weenie purple just at the beginning my journey against 3 vs 1. The sunbros were overleveled and one shotted everything in Undead burg, so noob sl20 me pissed his pants and hid. Then this red with a rapier and cross-bow joins in, manages to crowd-control all three and practically saves my rear end and I still remember it to this day. Point being, I want to believe.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It feels silly that my basic rear end straight sword with Holy Blade can kill the undead instantly and permanently when the sacred buff is on but my big fancy Coded Sword, literally a light saber made from holy scripture, doesn't prevent skeletons from resurrecting.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

It feels silly that my basic rear end straight sword with Holy Blade can kill the undead instantly and permanently when the sacred buff is on but my big fancy Coded Sword, literally a light saber made from holy scripture, doesn't prevent skeletons from resurrecting.

The holy scripture wasn't fundie enough

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Stick and stones may break their bones, but words will never hurt them.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

No Dignity posted:

The holy scripture wasn't fundie enough

Heresy is but a contrivance: all things can be conjoined

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

Benagain posted:

Heresy is but a contrivance: all things can be conjoined

Very well, let us learn together.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

summoning black knife tiche in the stormveil courtyard and just letting her go ape kicks rear end. just cool to watch. you go girl.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
I’m going through my final run in the Black Knife armor, with the veil, the black dagger and Tiche as my primary summon. Marika’s line will find the end they’ve earned.

Ed: I will say the Black Knife power attack and the black flame spells work great for just chewing through a health bar.

DreamingofRoses fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 30, 2024

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

What's a good strategy for the crucible knight for a mage build? Shields are just generally a big fu for mage builds. Is magical downpour worth it to try and hit him in the back?

Btw I completely forgot how I did this fight in my first run, what side are you suppose to dodge his shield bash? That's the only attack that hits me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There is a spell specifically that shoots people in the back, very good for dodge or shield focused enemies. Also quite good on players.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Ulio posted:

What's a good strategy for the crucible knight for a mage build? Shields are just generally a big fu for mage builds. Is magical downpour worth it to try and hit him in the back?

Btw I completely forgot how I did this fight in my first run, what side are you suppose to dodge his shield bash? That's the only attack that hits me.

Parry their one-handed attacks. If you're absolutely determined not to learn how to parry, just dodge around and carian slicer them.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

moving around their shield side when they do the bash can often let you avoid it completely and give you an opening to cast, although it's risky. they're most vulnerable after their two handed triple swing, although phase 2 will gently caress that up since they can also do their tail attack at random after any combo

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Ulio posted:

Parrying is definitely the easiest way to deal with them even if you're magic heavy. If you don't want to parry, get a tanky spirit summon and throw rocks at them until they get poise broken/die.

If you don't want to spirit summon, learn Nights Comet and cast when they're in run status so they're not blocking your shots and you'll grind them down eventually.

If you want to melee them to death as a caster just roll and hit with Carian Slicer and grind them down that way.

Edit: Also for the shield bash if that's the attack when they slam the shield down and rush forward, you roll into them and you can counter-attack afterwards.

OGS-Remix fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Ulio posted:

Drink the infinite magic juice then cast spells.