Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The Knight's Greatsword also has the better animations, and looks sick as hell in the bargain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Augus posted:

shields rule

I liked how Bloodborne handled shields, it made them into a joke item and mocked the player.

""A crude wooden shield used by the masses who have arisen to join the hunt.
Hunters do not normally employ shields, ineffectual against the strength of the beasts as they tend to be.
Shields are nice, but not if they engender passivity."

Throw that pathetic shield away and fight like a man.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ulio posted:

I liked how Bloodborne handled shields, it made them into a joke item and mocked the player.

Hunters do not normally employ shields, ineffectual against the strength of the beasts as they tend to be.

that’s a game about being a hunter, so you’re meant to play like a hunter.
elden ring isn’t a game about being a hunter, so you can use shields

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Ulio posted:

no bitch. shieldpokes you to death with my occult naginata

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
erdl

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ulio posted:

Reddit-rear end post

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i like parrying, so shields are win.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
As much as I like shields, and parrying with them, I think parrying with guns is a little cooler. Why can't we parry with the jar cannon?

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way

Ulio posted:

This post is pathetic

Unlike shield-print shield. A literal block of stone that turns your enemies mad just before you crush them under

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
That tooltip was master trolling by the dev that wrote it. It's not even accurate to itself.

Even the lovely wood plank blocks 50% physical damage and the DLC shield blocks 70% elemental so they do plenty against the strength of beasts but Bloodborne rewards you for being a twitchy dodger and dumping 1-3 bullets into enemies when they swing. I remember checking the shield stats when struggling with that one bullshit Amygdala in the half health chalice dungeon. I ended up learning the timings eventually instead.

If you absolutely can't get a few dodge timings down they could be useful, which gets to the crux of almost every item debate in the series: they're tools and tools are useful when properly applied.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Ulio posted:

I hear something coming, it sounds like The Wall.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Anyone who thinks shields aren't useful needs to go kill Moongrum exclusively with melee r1s

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Removing frost from enemies is self-sabotage unless you're running a dedicated super fast proc setup with a dagger or something. At least I'm pretty sure that was established last time frost was discussed.

Obviously there's super precise breakpoints you could crunch the numbers on w/r/t boss hp vs. weapon dps, but for something like the mighty Great Stars don't mess with success.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
I pull out the wooden shield for the gauntlet full of riflemen right before Hemwick Charnel Lane, the wooden shield blocks alot of blood damage, and guns deal blood damage. If you mess up your approach and get shot up you can usually block most of that damage.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

John Murdoch posted:

Removing frost from enemies is self-sabotage unless you're running a dedicated super fast proc setup with a dagger or something. At least I'm pretty sure that was established last time frost was discussed.

Obviously there's super precise breakpoints you could crunch the numbers on w/r/t boss hp vs. weapon dps, but for something like the mighty Great Stars don't mess with success.

the part of this I can't remember is if removing frost with fire resets the resistance as well as the immunity, as the status takes more buildup to proc every time past the first. That would really be the use case for "reset with fire" if you're doing some kind of meme status run on a high ng+ level where the %age health damage becomes more valuable than the actual weapon damage.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Respec'd my current character from an Int heavy build into 70 Faith, and am gleefully watching everything burn in the fires of the Blasphemous Blade, which keeps me topped up enough on HP that I'm making use of the two Ritual talismans for the first time. But having 70 Faith is making me realize I never really used incantations all that much beyond some healing ones and a few dragon breaths. What are some fun incantations worth checking out if you've boosted Faith all the way up to 70?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

McCoy Pauley posted:

Respec'd my current character from an Int heavy build into 70 Faith, and am gleefully watching everything burn in the fires of the Blasphemous Blade, which keeps me topped up enough on HP that I'm making use of the two Ritual talismans for the first time. But having 70 Faith is making me realize I never really used incantations all that much beyond some healing ones and a few dragon breaths. What are some fun incantations worth checking out if you've boosted Faith all the way up to 70?

Pest Threads

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

ChaseTheBro posted a pyromancy build yesterday and it looked insanely fun.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

McCoy Pauley posted:

learn how to lob Giantsflame Take Thee massive distances unlocked and you will never be wanting for fun

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

learn how to lob Giantsflame Take Thee massive distances unlocked and you will never be wanting for fun

This one’s good.

The frenzy incants are also quite strong. Everyone loves frenzied burst because you can snipe with it, but Flame of Frenzy (and Unendurable Frenzy) are even better imo, it’s like a holdable fire shotgun.

Discus of Light is an incredibly spammable (3 MP/cast) projectile that can double-hit.

Crucible horn is like a goofy shoulder charge that staggers almost everything.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

McCoy Pauley posted:

It's not like sorcery, where the big ticket stuff is all 50+ of the damage stat. Most of the incants you'll use even with 80 faith are ones that requires 27 or fewer faith, which is really nice because it means you can go heavy into arcane and use the dragon communism seal or heavy into strength and use the clawmark and still get solid to exceptional returns while having a whole other viable build to work with. The spells I used a lot of on my 99% pure casting playthrough are:

Howl of Shabriri - A fun way to make things interesting, body buff that buffs ALL damage 25% but increases damage you take by 30%. Only lasts a bit longer than Flame, Grant me Strength so I'd cast it for a very strong start to any fight
Flame, Fall Upon Them - Very powerful fireball shotgun. Only takes a single spell slot, and surprisingly good at distance because unfortunately it will only count like 3 fireballs worth of contact max no matter how many you see hit
Burn, O Flame - Firestorm baby, ragdolls anything that can be and does TONS of damage, and you crouch while casting so a lot of attacks will miss you. Can be charged or even more fiery goodness. One of the two spells that trivialize Malenia
Aspects of the Crucible: Horns - A meat and potatoes spell, always use it charged. Covers a ton of distance, does a ton of damage, throws things in the air. This was my go-to for knights with shields.
Ancient Dragons' Lightning Strike - Ultimate Mega Nuke, totally melts anything bigger than an omen and does way better than you'd expect on even human-sized enemies, as if you're locked on the pattern is predictable so you can almost guarantee it hits
Dragon Breaths - Every element is available to you here, including rot and magic. Treat them as a nuke - whole FP bar for a whole shitload of damage of a specific type. Tier 2 ones aren't typically worth it but are still very good
Frenzied Burst - Fire elemental Barret 50 cal
Black Flame - meat and potatoes spell, good damage on top of 2% HP damage, so any enemy in the game will die to 30-40 of these
Lightning Spear - meat and potatoes spell, good damage, fast to cast, good range. Charged does much better damage and uncharged is ignored by enemy AI, so the functional DPS is among the highest in the game
Flame, Grant Me Strength - really good body buff, but doesn't last long. What you use if you're not brave enough to Howl
Flame, Cleanse Me - Won't be on your bar all the time, but when it's good it's great
Pest Threads - Best tracking of any spell that isn't ignored by enemy AI, cheap and spammable. Most famous for absolutely melting big bosses. It's slightly tricky (you need to position and target so that it passes through the largest amount of the enemy hitbox) but for an example of what it can do, I killed the Fire Giant in 5 casts with it
Catch Flame - Underappreciated because it's short range and a starting spell, but this has incredible DPS and does solid posture damage as well. It's also just really fun to use because it's a brawling spell, an actually short range flame shotgun basically
Discus of Light - this will cost you 6 levels in INT to cast but it's worth it, great damage, funny animation, more damage on return, and 3FP per cast, making it the cheapest spell in the game. Excellent for co-op where your flasks are so much more limited

Ones I used a lot less but are still very good:

Black Flame Ritual - you can follow a charged one up with an uncharged one and create TWO barriers of fire that both do % healthbar damage
Flame of the Fell God - isn't dodged, knocks things on their rear end, and leaves fire behind. One of the two spells needed to trivialize Malenia, also very fun to use
The various elemental shields - Very situational but also VERY strong, the highest tier is a full 60% mitigation before anything else you have is factored in.
Giantsflame, Take Thee - BIG rear end FIREBALL WOOOOO
Stone of Gurranq - This one never felt like it was too great for me but it has a ton of fans, it's really good for str/faith as the clawmark buffs it

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

It's not like sorcery, where the big ticket stuff is all 50+ of the damage stat. Most of the incants you'll use even with 80 faith are ones that requires 27 or fewer faith, which is really nice because it means you can go heavy into arcane and use the dragon communism seal or heavy into strength and use the clawmark and still get solid to exceptional returns while having a whole other viable build to work with. The spells I used a lot of on my 99% pure casting playthrough are:

Howl of Shabriri - A fun way to make things interesting, body buff that buffs ALL damage 25% but increases damage you take by 30%. Only lasts a bit longer than Flame, Grant me Strength so I'd cast it for a very strong start to any fight
Flame, Fall Upon Them - Very powerful fireball shotgun. Only takes a single spell slot, and surprisingly good at distance because unfortunately it will only count like 3 fireballs worth of contact max no matter how many you see hit
Burn, O Flame - Firestorm baby, ragdolls anything that can be and does TONS of damage, and you crouch while casting so a lot of attacks will miss you. Can be charged or even more fiery goodness. One of the two spells that trivialize Malenia
Aspects of the Crucible: Horns - A meat and potatoes spell, always use it charged. Covers a ton of distance, does a ton of damage, throws things in the air. This was my go-to for knights with shields.
Ancient Dragons' Lightning Strike - Ultimate Mega Nuke, totally melts anything bigger than an omen and does way better than you'd expect on even human-sized enemies, as if you're locked on the pattern is predictable so you can almost guarantee it hits
Dragon Breaths - Every element is available to you here, including rot and magic. Treat them as a nuke - whole FP bar for a whole shitload of damage of a specific type. Tier 2 ones aren't typically worth it but are still very good
Black Flame - meat and potatoes spell, good damage on top of 2% HP damage, so any enemy in the game will die to 30-40 of these
Lightning Spear - meat and potatoes spell, good damage, fast to cast, good range. Charged does much better damage and uncharged is ignored by enemy AI, so the functional DPS is among the highest in the game
Flame, Grant Me Strength - really good body buff, but doesn't last long. What you use if you're not brave enough to Howl
Flame, Cleanse Me - Won't be on your bar all the time, but when it's good it's great
Pest Threads - Best tracking of any spell that isn't ignored by enemy AI, cheap and spammable. Most famous for absolutely melting big bosses. It's slightly tricky (you need to position and target so that it passes through the largest amount of the enemy hitbox) but for an example of what it can do, I killed the Fire Giant in 5 casts with it
Catch Flame - Underappreciated because it's short range and a starting spell, but this has incredible DPS and does solid posture damage as well. It's also just really fun to use because it's a brawling spell, an actually short range flame shotgun basically
Discus of Light - this will cost you 6 levels in INT to cast but it's worth it, great damage, funny animation, more damage on return, and 3FP per cast, making it the cheapest spell in the game. Excellent for co-op where your flasks are so much more limited

Black Flame Ritual - you can follow a charged one up with an uncharged one and create TWO barriers of fire that both do % healthbar damage
Flame of the Fell God - isn't dodged, knocks things on their rear end, and leaves fire behind. One of the two spells needed to trivialize Malenia, also very fun to use
The various elemental shields - Very situational but also VERY strong, the highest tier is a full 60% mitigation before anything else you have is factored in.
Stone of Gurranq - This one never felt like it was too great for me but it has a ton of fans, it's really good for str/faith as the clawmark buffs it

Tremendous -- thank you. Very much appreciate all the advice here and in the earlier posts.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Litany of Proper Death can be pretty good. Law of Regression is useful in some circumstances.

e: the thing about Litany is it hits upwards and downwards basically forever. you can use it to put a complete stop to skeletons or other undead (deathbirds for example) from below in a lot of places.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

In case you hadn't noticed, there's a shitload of really powerful or perfectly viable incantations lol. The other bit of advice I would give is about seals.

For casting:
60-80 faith = Erdtree Seal
27-60 faith = Godslayer Seal

Collect'em all though, because a seal in your offhand will buff the damage of the relevant spells cast from your main hand. My offhand was always a kite shield and two spell school buffing ones I'd swap to when I pulled the spell up, usually the Gravel Stone seal for lightning and Golden Order seal to buff Discus, though this one changed a lot. One nice thing about Seals versus Staves (beyond casting with your hands being cooler than with a stick) is that half of them weigh nothing

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

In case you hadn't noticed, there's a shitload of really powerful or perfectly viable incantations lol. The other bit of advice I would give is about seals.

For casting:
80 faith = Erdtree Seal
27-60 faith = Godslayer Seal

Collect'em all though, because a seal in your offhand will buff the damage of the relevant spells cast from your main hand. My offhand was always a kite shield and two spell school buffing ones I'd swap to when I pulled the spell up, usually the Gravel Stone seal for lightning and Golden Order seal to buff Discus, though this one changed a lot. One nice thing about Seals versus Staves (beyond casting with your hands being cooler than with a stick) is that half of them weigh nothing

Interesting -- thanks. So far I've just leveled up the Golden Order one, and I have the dragon one around since it was the first one I got. Haven't tried the Godslayer one.

I need to have a seal equipped in one of my two hands to get the buff -- it doesn't count if it's available to be equipped in one of my three left hand slots but isn't actually in hand?

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Golden Order is extremely good if you're cross faith/int, it's substantially weaker than other seals if your int isn't beefy. it is weightless though, which rules.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

McCoy Pauley posted:

Interesting -- thanks. So far I've just leveled up the Golden Order one, and I have the dragon one around since it was the first one I got. Haven't tried the Godslayer one.

I need to have a seal equipped in one of my two hands to get the buff -- it doesn't count if it's available to be equipped in one of my three left hand slots but isn't actually in hand?

Yeah it actually has to be in your hand, for this reason I put my casting seal in my right hand, so I'm not fighting muscle memory and the swap to only seals are in the left hand which I always have my swapping stuff in like shields and seals on my non-caster builds

At sub-27 Faith I think the default finger seal is best but it's not too much of a difference, Golden Order is only really good if you're int/fai which I don't recommend as a first time with casting.

Don't neglect your buffs, not just scorpion charms and Golden Vow/FGMS/HoS, but Pest Threads and Stone of Gurranq do physical damage and will thus be buffed by anything that boosts that

Another fun thing to do that isn't a spell when you have a ton of faith is to use the weapon art on the Envoy Long Horn, which is mega OP and scales ridiculously off only Faith

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 19, 2024

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Also regular old Heal immediately downs those yucky revenant things if you get them in its radius, which you can immediately Heal again for a relatively easy kill.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Epic High Five posted:

Good list. I've never tried Discus of Light. Miracles are really, really fun in this game. They outclass any incantations from the Souls games (rip DS1 Wrath of the Gods.) My only complaint is that some of them are flashy but nearly useless, like Lanseax's Glaive and Fortissax' Lightning Spear. Cool looking spell, it does hit everything in front of you like a mini Wave of Gold, but it takes way too long to cast.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Node posted:

Good list. I've never tried Discus of Light. Miracles are really, really fun in this game. They outclass any incantations from the Souls games (rip DS1 Wrath of the Gods.) My only complaint is that some of them are flashy but nearly useless, like Lanseax's Glaive and Fortissax' Lightning Spear. Cool looking spell, it does hit everything in front of you like a mini Wave of Gold, but it takes way too long to cast.

Those two either just aren't great or are outclassed by others of the same type which isn't the worst because despite being worse they may cost less or cast faster, I think my biggest "God I wish this were better" spell is Ice Lightning, which is totally neurotic in how it reacts to geometry on the ground and is super expensive to cast, but like 20% of the time it will hit for absurd damage and a ton of frostbite so you just keep trying to figure out how to make it work without ever succeeding

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ulio posted:

All my characters are girls and one of them will shove you with her massive shield, nerd.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Shield Crash, even on a small shield, will cheese NPC-type enemies extremely effectively. Bonus if you infuse it cold.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Exactly what I do with mine. Keep meaning to put it on the spiky shield so I can freezebleed people.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

OwlFancier posted:

Exactly what I do with mine. Keep meaning to put it on the spiky shield so I can freezebleed people.

They usually die before bleed actually procs, based on my experience with both Spiked Palisade and Spiralhorn.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land

OwlFancier posted:

the spiked palisade with shield crash is so good, frostbite seems like it would be overkill. Which means you should absolutely do it. :black101:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I don't usually like using shields but i'm happy for those who do. Be your own tarnished.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

gatekeeping is for losers

have fun with your game

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I played DS2 and DS3 after I beat Elden Ring, and of course have replayed DS1 since (great Switch game), and it's funny because the #1 thing I missed from ER in all of them was guard counters. It solved turtling so thoroughly that they could make shields their own fully developed thing in ER, and the ability to shield up for a breather and leverage that into a devastating strike if you're paying attention and know when to strike is all the advantages of turtling without ever feeling like the dance of battle has been interrupted. It's also a whole rear end extra move for weapons that are big enough or if you don't mind taking a bit of damage because strictly speaking it goes off blocking with anything, even fist weapons

Also, nailing some enemy that's holding back because their archer or mage buddy hit your shield is very funny

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

ever since demon's souls I usually have a shield and bow on left-hand and a weapon and spell tool on right-hand. in elden ring I had two spell tools because I'm an idiot.

in Dark souls 2 I power stance to the whole game, so no shield. That was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
DS2 had the ultra-light gold dragon armor and I miss it. Used that with high agility and light roll to dragon ninja it up.