Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

You know what, this simply isn't true. The original DeS/BB were both very much influenced by the culture and work of Japan Studio, and not only were they very much present with the remake but Bluepoint absolutely got Miyazaki's blessing for the project. I guarantee it wouldn't have been made otherwise. nuDeS is wildly faithful to the artistic ambitions of the original game, to the point where I'm really surprised that certain things were left in, and the people who talked poo poo can suck an egg.
I think you misunderstood what I said. I just said it's not a FROM game anymore, in that (as far as I can tell) their name is literally not even mentioned in the remake except at the very end of the game when the original Demon's Souls PS3 credits are tacked on after the main credits. I only meant that nobody should look at nuDeS as an indicator of what future FROM games might look like, since people tend to associate Demon's Souls very closely with FROM and may not realize that they aren't involved in it anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

smellden ring

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Comrade Fakename posted:

Yeah, why would I expect a software company to make good software? Graphical/technical prowess isn't magic, these games make From a shitload of money, they can afford to just hire programmers. It's not unreasonable to expect that one of the most anticipated games of the year would have significant investment in it.

It's not a huge issue, it's not a dealbreaker, but it's something that I had hoped would have changed and hasn't.

If anything the fact they're designing it for older hardware too means you're less likely to have sub 10 FPS inexplicably on the ps5. So count your blessings, friend.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

One day, From will rediscover and learn from the ancient records, and the graphics on level three will finally be tightened

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
lol at the dude who said Dark Souls graphics usually aren't very good. The vistas and draw distance and fidelity of "wow they rendered every errant brick on that castle, I can count every stone if I wanted to" is real. Not talking about art, pure gamejuice grafix magic.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Volte posted:

I think you misunderstood what I said. I just said it's not a FROM game anymore, in that (as far as I can tell) their name is literally not even mentioned in the remake except at the very end of the game when the original Demon's Souls PS3 credits are tacked on after the main credits. I only meant that nobody should look at nuDeS as an indicator of what future FROM games might look like, since people tend to associate Demon's Souls very closely with FROM and may not realize that they aren't involved in it anymore.

Yeah, sorry, I took your post the wrong way. :doh:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Watched the trailer once again and man am I glad it's only a six month wait (fingers crossed).

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I'm going to play this game I reckon

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Comrade Fakename posted:

If by "the fuel tank" you mean money and "Programmer Energy" you mean hiring a larger team of well-managed programmers to work on the graphics technology of their games, then yes.
It's about more than just slotting programmers into chairs working on "graphics technology". Any programmer will tell you that adding more people to a team doesn't automatically make the team work faster or produce better work. Aside from that, the look of a game is an end-to-end product from the designers to the artists and the asset production pipeline to the programmers, even the non-graphics programmers, since everything in an engine has to co-exist 1/60th of a second at a time. Having technology that everyone involved knows inside and out and knows what they can do is not something to toss aside lightly. Having cutting edge graphical technology does not guarantee that your game won't look and run like poo poo (see: Unreal Engine).

Besides, you have to leave something for Bluepoint to do in 2028.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I'm sure this is the hottest take but I'm really sick of open world.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
I want a horse battle against GYOUBU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I'm looking forward to having an icon on my minimap direct me to a pot with limbs that offers a mission where I have to follow a lizard person without being spotted. I can't wait to climb a big tree to unlock a chunk of the map. This is how the game will work. Only six months!!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Have the strangest feeling it isn't going to play like those.

acksplode posted:

I'm looking forward to having an icon on my minimap direct me to a pot with limbs that offers a mission where I have to follow a lizard person without being spotted. I can't wait to climb a big tree to unlock a chunk of the map. This is how the game will work. Only six months!!

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I honest to god hope there is no minimap at all, or it's a cumbersome paper map that takes like 10 seconds to unfold and pauses the game.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Colonel Whitey posted:

and pauses the game.
Say what now? What kind of game-reviewer mode is that?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

That and FROM's "open zones" are usually, by far, their worst work so

Not super enthused about that part.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Elden Ring is: open world; hobby-grade coop campaign; genre-blended, multi-mode sidequests; meta-growth, choice + epic Elden Ring Heroes!

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Captain Oblivious posted:

That and FROM's "open zones" are usually, by far, their worst work so

Not super enthused about that part.

imagine the swamp map it's just miles and miles of foggy swamp, that probably also poisons and slow walks you.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

imagine the swamp map it's just miles and miles of foggy swamp, that probably also poisons and slow walks you.

There's a glowy item on the opposite side and when you get there it's a homeward bone

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Blind Rasputin posted:

One thing I notice is, you all remember that big trailer leak a while back? A ton of footage from that isn’t in this trailer. I wonder if anyone has put the two side by side and see if pieces fit together yet?

If that internal trailer leak was from when it's allegedly from (roughly a year ago) it is entirely possible that much of it has been scrapped/repurposed/was placeholder, knowing the dev cycle of all the previous souls games.

Also i'm really surprised but a scene in the trailer seems to match up with one of those leaked concept art pieces that came out of the chinese souls community

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

More screenshots:
https://twitter.com/fromsoft_pics/status/1403082852976189445

No details whatsoever!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
visual fidelity doesn't matter so much to me if what it's depicting is striking enough

i was genuinely awestruck when i first saw ash lake. no amount of lovingly rendered mossy concrete or reflective puddles could compare

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

punished milkman posted:

expecting from software to make a game as graphically excellent as the demons souls remake is kinda ridiculous. bluepoint had the luxury of having every design and gameplay mechanic built for them already. they also had sony breathing down their necks to produce a game that made the ps5 look amazing (they succeeded).

from is a different dev studio with a totally different set of strengths than bluepoint. games aren’t made magically by throwing money into a bucket and having a thing come out, there are people and teams and management involved that are going to vary hugely across the industry. from software is still working with an iteration of their original demons souls engine because they know how to make good games with it, but it definitely is not capable of pushing visuals like bluepoint does.

This.

Ya there is literally only a handful of devs that can get graphics like Bluepoint while on top of that making the game from scratch. That requires INSANE amounts of resources and capital. That's why its only teams like ND, Rockstar, Santa Monica, Square. I really prefer Fromsoft's less capital extensive style, they probably have way better roi for their games. DS3 for example sold as much as GoW with less marketing and smaller budget. Another thing is that those studios are NOTRIOUS for crunch or insanely long project times(Square).

Ulio fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 11, 2021

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

giZm posted:

No details whatsoever!

lol it took me a triple-take to notice that those aren't just severed arms, they're double-sided severed arms. triple-sided, even. and I think I see a foot

acksplode
May 17, 2004

What is this a PS3 game? Preorder cancelled, thread unbookmarked, wake me up when there's a Bluepoint remake

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
https://twitter.com/fromsoft_pics/status/1403083640154865664?s=20

https://twitter.com/fromsoft_pics/status/1403083420385878024?s=20

Jbp is a good poster but I’m sorry ur just wrong about the lack of detail

Also, I’d rather have From Software’s art design be as good as it is, rather than have a more generic design but ‘nicer’ graphics. This Zbrush presentation they did shows that they’re also really good at graphics stuff https://youtu.be/pygFqqwfPag

imhotep fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 11, 2021

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I guess all these drat hands want to put on that ring

edit - elden ring = toe ring?

bows1 fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 11, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fromsoft makes some of the best looking games out there and it's because their art is rad, not because their games are tech showpieces.

Wondering if the main elden ring dude is a set protagonist or the official stand in for a create a character. I am just going to assume the latter because the trailer shows phantoms that all look different and its a fantasy RPG.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Character creation is confirmed yeah

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
I'm not sure what it is about FromSoft, but when I see other games aping the souls format, I just groan and move on, but I never get tired of FromSoft's own games

very excited for this game, very confused about all the severed arms.

...even if it has giant bugs (why)

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Blaziken386 posted:

very confused about all the severed arms.
The power of the Elden Ring lies in the hands. The more hands the more powerful you are.

That's probably just Miyazaki going "See? I'm not into feet at all!"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

If FROM can pull off a version (and I'm extremely confident they can) of 'open world' that I end up enjoying then I will be pleased as punch, but I have very little patience for giant sandbox checklist experiences, almost all of which I tap out on...including HZD, all GTA and GTA-likes, Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima, all Ubisoft games, and very nearly God of War (yawn) and MGSV (:barf:)

If I make it through Cyberpunk for the story bits it will be a minor miracle at this point. To this day pretty much the only 'open-world' games I remember fondly are FROM titles, funneled cinematic narratives like 2LOU/UC4/LL (which almost don't count), NieR jrpgs, Control, and Mirror's Edge: Catalyst by special exception due to its peerless traversal.

acksplode posted:

Elden Ring is: open world; hobby-grade coop campaign; genre-blended, multi-mode sidequests; meta-growth, choice + epic Elden Ring Heroes!

:hai: epic heroes sold separately tho

you're god damned right

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

extreme ludwig vibes from the all-hands-on-deck dude

acksplode
May 17, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

If FROM can pull off a version (and I'm extremely confident they can) of 'open world' that I end up enjoying then I will be pleased as punch, but I have very little patience for giant sandbox checklist experiences, almost all of which I tap out on...including HZD, all GTA and GTA-likes, Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima, all Ubisoft games, and very nearly God of War (yawn) and MGSV (:barf:)

If I make it through Cyberpunk for the story bits it will be a minor miracle at this point. To this day pretty much the only 'open-world' games I remember fondly are FROM titles, funneled cinematic narratives like 2LOU/UC4/LL (which almost don't count), NieR jrpgs, Control, and Mirror's Edge: Catalyst by special exception due to its peerless traversal.

There's a certain semi-recent sequel to a renowned series of linear games that introduced a radical open world design while managing to respect series tradition, I'm hoping Miyazaki took some inspiration from it. For that matter it also happened to be gorgeous because of its art design rather than its technology.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It's not about the aesthetics, from does a great job of doing a western aesthetic. It's that the visuals are objectively bad and totally out of date, and not in a stylized way that could be cool. It's not just in terms of poly count and texture res either, look at the big dudes pulling the coach in the trailer. Their heads are totally non-animated, all their hair and poo poo is very plainly just part of a static "head" model and even that isn't flexing relative to the body at all. That's probably the most egregious example, but even in the "better" areas the animation honestly looks like complete rear end for the most part, it's more like an early 360 era title than even a PS4 game. From doesn't seem capable of moving forward at all from where they were with Demons Souls other than adding in a few polygons and a bit higher res textures. There really isn't an excuse for this, while not everyone is always at the bleeding edge, there's no one else making $60 games that has adapted this little. Madden shows more visual improvement FFS.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

K8.0 posted:

It's not about the aesthetics, from does a great job of doing a western aesthetic. It's that the visuals are objectively bad and totally out of date, and not in a stylized way that could be cool. It's not just in terms of poly count and texture res either, look at the big dudes pulling the coach in the trailer. Their heads are totally non-animated, all their hair and poo poo is very plainly just part of a static "head" model and even that isn't flexing relative to the body at all. That's probably the most egregious example, but even in the "better" areas the animation honestly looks like complete rear end for the most part, it's more like an early 360 era title than even a PS4 game. From doesn't seem capable of moving forward at all from where they were with Demons Souls other than adding in a few polygons and a bit higher res textures.

Hi I am not going to respond to whatever this is but I am delivering a formal notice that you are now my enemy and thus, you have started down a path of endless malice and misery.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

acksplode posted:

There's a certain semi-recent sequel to a renowned series of linear games that introduced a radical open world design while managing to respect series tradition, I'm hoping Miyazaki took some inspiration from it. For that matter it also happened to be gorgeous because of its art design rather than its technology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYxihFvCuk8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/BuxbiArts/status/1403082212925378564