Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I just got this game and played it last night.
I found a Mario style warp pipe that took me from a river all the way East to some Beast Sanctum no idea what to do there, and all the monsters are way stronger than I am. I spent the rest of my night exploring my way back and getting all the waypoints. Seems like most good stuff is packed into mini dungeons but many of them are just holes in a wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Are illusionary wall still a thing in this game? Should I be poking all the weird spots?

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

I'm starting to think I hate this game. I'm just running around Stormveil Castle and it's easily the worst level design I've seen in any soulsborne. Kinda don't want to bother anymore. :/

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

*performs complicated platforming maneuver got get to glowing spot*

*Mushroom x3*

Cool game.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Can someone tell me why I have a permanent debuff that's just a red square in the top left corner? Did I touch something I'm not supposed to? will that be there forever?

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Okay next question. This lady says a ruffian stole her necklace and that they're holed up in an abandoned house down the road. But there is no road and there are no houses nearby so what the gently caress is wrong?

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

I'm using a claymore, and I really want to experiment with ashes of war, but I don't want to lose the crazy flip attack from the base weapon. do I have to duplicate it or is there another trainer for ashes of war with Lion's Claw for sale?

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

queeb posted:

if you put a new ashes on it and then remove it, the old one comes back.

Oh gently caress me. I've been putting off experimenting for so long.

Also I've only found 1 piece of equipment that allows for alterations. Do I have to find another npc? Or is there really only like five armors that it works on?

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

hazardousmouse posted:

ok, I am legitimately impressed by the modelling on these ants holy poo poo

Could see this part of the game being unpassable for squeamish people. They aren't even tough, just.. unsettling.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

VulgarandStupid posted:

Are the non-unique weapons able to compete with the unique ones? I’d love to run bloodhound tooth as a secondary so I can bloodhound step and cause stuns all day, but none of the other curved great swords seem to compete on damage.

I mean I’m comparing a +17 regular to a +9 unique but it doesn’t seem close.

In all soulsborne games the unique weapons usually have a hard time keeping up with the more mundane ones. Unless you really lean into their gimmicks.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

CRAYON posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for Greatsword weapon ashes? I've been using Giant Hunt and it's a lot of fun but would like to try out some more. Quickstep and Bloodhound Step are out cause they feel a bit cheesy for what I'm going for with this character.

Lion's Claw is fun. But swinging any blood infusions seems to be the winning move.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

I've been using the sword of night & fire. Sword and boarding through the game with it's two moves is "lmao" but it's getting old. I use a bow, not well, mostly just to snipe lame poo poo and I have a handful of utility spells, so that's helpful. It looks like I can't really use any other weapon due to the min stat requirement on the sword absolutely sapping my damage stats through. Anybody find anything to pair it with?

Also what's the deal with fire and lighting infusions on weapons? They don't use a mental stat? Are they Str and Dex now?

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Nyoro posted:

Did they nerf Putrid Avatar's runes? I distinctly remember getting 95,000 but my friend just, impressively, beat him at only level 25 and got a paltry 9500

I think you just got blurred eyed and misread it. The biggest single drop of ruins I've gotten is 80,000 from a different boss and I've beat all the putrid avatars already.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Bumped up my level to 45 and even anecdotally, almost every single host is still in hand me down endgame boss armour & weapons being carried by their endgame summons and warping around the screen with a second of lag :psyduck: Even in Raya Lucaria I've had people wait behind where my phantom spawned in, them apparently knowing beforehand I'd be there? Another thing I keep seeing is people choosing to take the staircase where the ball rolls down even when they have the shortcut open??

It's a garbage shortcut. There is no resistance if you clear the ball rolling way. "Shortcut" procs aggro on like 5 wizards who have no issue shooting you in the back.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

nopants posted:

combat rolling in a mech is gonna pretty cool

All about those side thrusters. AC4:answer is a favorite game of mine.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

People saying pots suck like they've never used oil.

Burn baby, burn.

:tif:

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Vermain posted:

if they didn't dissipate after the first instance of fire damage they'd be godly but as it stands they're mostly just kinda "eh"

you can probably do some big funny numbers for a youtube meme compilation with jar companion + jar helmet and oil pots + giantsflame pots at least

The Mimic will throw them as well.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

I'm really not getting the lake of rot hate. There's a site of Grace at the beginning of it so you have all the time to prep. Moving through it doesn't slow you down, and there's plenty of Island pathing just close enough together to get you across and there's practically no fighting on the main path.

Did you not think this would happen? Is a souls game. This place is like 5000% easier then blighttown.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Pro tip for The crucible night at the bottom of stormville Castle:

Let him chase you to the elevator up. He'll wiff himself into the bottomless pit under it.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Quick question. When NPCs move spots does it appear instantly on the world map, or do I have to rediscover their location before I'll get a marker?

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Please remember to check sketchy ledges with a rainbow stone first. It will shatter if the jump is lethal.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

To whoever suggested using the arrow volley WA, thank you, lol! I'm cheesing like I've never cheesed before. You only need a target lock, not even a line of sight, just a target lock and you can rain down arrows onto all sorts of bastards who would otherwise be protected by a banister or by a small outcrop, all while being protected yourself by some knee high wall. Oh and SwordLions don't know how to dodge it either, no more jumping-on-input.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Raine posted:

1 Simple Trick Bell Bearing Hunters HATE:

(using horse to jump onto shack)

You'd think they'd just throw the sword up?

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Cast the lightning skin incantation, it'll cause light attacks to bounce off of you. Then just follow up after your recovery. Who needs poise.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

What are some good bleed weapon alternatives if I don't want to do the boring weeb dual katana build? Being able to slap bleed on anything with ashes is tripping me up in terms of figuring out which weapons have a good enough moveset / attack speed to actually compliment it.

In past games I put it on daggers since you can swipe them real fast and they're light enough to be a single purpose weapon.

I haven't experimented with bleed very much in this game however. :(

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

Trouble with the spirit summons is that a lot of the hardest fights in the game drop a very damaging persistent damage zone which no human would ever hang around in. Unfortunately the ashes do stand in said zones and get rapidly burned to death. I never got to try the Mimic before it got nerfed but it's been fairly useless for me ever since I got it even after upgrading to +5 or so.

If you give it a shield it'll last longer. I didn't really notice much other than slightly less damage post-nerf. But call me crazy because I think bosses are more likely to go crazy agro vs mimics to try and wipe them early.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

I'm a completionist. I've been searching high and low. Sniffing out each area in my own time. I've returned to places I had been to 40 hours earlier that just didn't sit right with me and discovered I missed a cave.
Twice now I've seen streamers in the beginning areas find something I've missed by just bumbling around.

This fuckin game. Amazing.

Meanwhile I'll play a bit of Horizon and the developer's are terrified I'll miss a random box of junk behind a wall and slap a million icons on a compass for me. :rolleyes:

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

I just beat Mohg. Bleed, no. Rot, no. Maybe frostbite, no. Wtf? Hmmm...

Let's see:
-Big-ish
-lumbering
-small room

I killed him with Night Maiden's Mist. Just cast it and held a shield up with occasional dodge, that with a small summon + shackle to keep him still.

Lol I'll never stop loving pestilent mist.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Nuebot posted:

This kind of stuff drives me nuts, like all those glowing statues that hemorrhage smithing stones if a troll or rune bear hits them hard enough. If I'm dual wielding colossal swords and can one shot those same enemies, I should be able to break them!

Is that what those statues are for? poo poo. I kept forgetting to look into it.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

I'm trying to show my friend the Elmer Fudd dodge roll meme that was posted earlier, but the thread moves too fast and I can't find it with regular searches. Can anyone repost it?

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

I was afraid that the mimic Spirit ash was making the game too easy, so I switched it to the loathsome dung eater. Game still easier. Might have to force a more gimmicky run where I only use the Demi-human Army or something.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

dumby posted:

I use golden runes to top off before leveling up, is everyone else cashing them right away?

My roommate was doing this and I was just sitting there shocked out of my mind. That said I'm level 145 and probably have enough banked runes to level up twice.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE posted:

Whoo boy, finally got past Malenia in NG+

Went with Mausoleum Gank Squad +10 as my summons. Ended up getting through her 1st phase using Mohg's Spear +10, and definitely felt like the most nasty, hosed up little man for using it on her of all people. But, it's really suited to how slow she walks around when not attacking. Got her down to 0 really quick, and then switched to dual Misericordes with bleed affinities, and just spammed L1 attacks. Got lucky with my summons perfectly surrounding her right at the beginning, but leaving me a little slot to squeeze in and join the fun :c00l:.

Mausoleum Gank Squad seems too good to be true, I haven't had a chance to use them, are they fragile or something?

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

I keep not interfering when I invade people fighting the rot dragon in southern caelid

so many of these co-op groups are just getting owned repeatedly :negative:

Do you still get the credit? If so, lol. What a great place to sit and watch.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Also I just beat Mohg. And like, what's his deal?

His mini-me self is trying to stop me from reaching the 3 fingers? Or did I just stumble into him and he can't get the platforming section right?

Then I find his dope pad, but he's raising an army of.. plump sorts and uncontrollable raptors. For Lord's sake they clearly just stole a Tiba Mariner's horn. Is he scary? Is he a joke? I get "tale of house hoslow told in blood :jerkbag:" vibes from the whole place.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

The Anime Liker posted:

The jars just seesawing their arms in a field of flowers is adorable and I don't even care about the horrible nightmare lore of their existence.

The Jars all remind me of siegmeyer of catarina and is easily my favorite part of the game.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

People be like "lol 2 fingers" and "wtf three fingers" as if they've never played super smash Bros Melee. Total rip off.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Vengarr posted:

I’d like to make a bow character but I need to know how to make bows fun first.

Rain of Arrows ash'o'war. Get it from doing the painting in Sellia. It breaks the longbow. You can use it to proc status super easy, it does a bunch of damage to large enemies, and you can use it to cheese shots out from behind cover.

I haven't played with enchanted shot yet, but it sounds like it adds tracking onto shots with target lock.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

For anybody doing dragon communism or am incant run, apparently pest threads absolutely shithouses Elden Beast like it does every other large enemy and also the tarnished. I plan on trying this out

Haven't you heard? Incantation is garbage and needs massive buffs to be viab:barf:

I tested it out with my faith leaning SoN&F build and it was okay. A good "can't miss" button but nothing special on the damage side. Presumably if those 14 points of int were still in faith it may be more useful. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

I figured the Cuckoo's rebeled because they got tired of nerds bossing them around. There is a few mentions of them being a rowdy bunch and I just assumed they got all Make Liurnia Great Again.