Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

The Midniter posted:

What are the no-brainer choices when turning in remembrances? I know I'll certainly be getting the Sacred Relic Sword, but other than that...what's good?

Getting on top of the walking mausoleums lets you duplicate remembrances, so if you're having a hard time picking between two options, you can always use the mausoleum to get both.

In any case, Blasphemous Blade is always an excellent pick if you're running a faith build. Dunno how good the spell you get from Rykard as an alternative does in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Darth Walrus posted:

No, you are meant to cross the bridge with the exploding arrows. Sprint and use cover. The actual enemies are the same soldiers you've fought all across Limgrave, no particular hassle.

Yeah, I usually just take the horse and just plow through that bridge. Don't even bother trying to fight the enemies. With some jumping and zig-zagging, the explosive arrows aren't too hard to dodge.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

turn off the TV posted:

IMO it's funny hearing about people who have hundreds or thousands of attempts at killing Malenia complain that the boss is too hard. Like I get dying that much if you're doing a challenge run or something, but you get something like 20 larval tears. Just switch your build to counter the boss, using game knowledge and your available tools isn't cheating.

I'd just defeated her for the first time, and I did have to respec a bit to get more mind to use a summon that could tank more of her hits (Latenna wasn't lasting through the first phase, and Malenia is far too agile to keep away from a summon that can't tank).

The Berserk Greatsword with Lion's Claw did fine against her (even if it took at least 30 tries to win). Even if some people might argue that spirit ashes are a noob crutch that make the bosses too easy, it does make this game more accessible than past Souls games.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Doomykins posted:

Palace of Blood/late game underground area. If that has no meaning to you I recommend you keep enjoying the blind playthrough.

Spoilers: I believe if you kill Godrick to advance Varre to his position in Lakeland you can start his quest chain, suicide three invasions, slide whistle over to Frenzied Flame Town and Church, then get the teleport to A Place You Shouldn't Be Yet! Run like hell to the grace on the edge of the swamp, not further up into the palace/caves, and then use a bow to snipe a giant crow from the cliff directly adjacent to that grace. It'll suicide trying to run at you and you can do this as fast as you can sit at the grace, stand up and land the shot.

I use it when I want to mass upgrade and test new weapons now that I'm near the end.

As an alternate to doing invasions to advance the Varre quest, you can also do an NPC invasion on the Altus Plateau, east of the bridge into Mt. Gelmir and south of where you find the Great Stars. Incidentally, the boss drops a second Great Stars for if you want to powerstance them. This was added in a patch for those who have difficulty getting invasions to start.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

DoubleNegative posted:

Of course the grave scythe sucks rear end to farm. If you're unlucky you'll be spending quite a long time killing skeletons near the Lake-Facing Cliffs grace.

The grind for skeleton-dropped weapons like the grave scythe or bandit's curved sword can be made easier by putting the Sacred Blade ash of war on a weapon - that skill can very easily one-shot undead enemies and stop them from regenerating. The holy weapon buff it provides also chunks undead enemies quite handily.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

WalletBeef posted:

Just found out yesterday that you can get to Liurnia without having to kill any bosses. With that here's my new quick start guide for meele characters:

1. Starting class : Samurai with golden seed.
2. Get horse
3. Grab Great Sword in Caelid
4. Kill sleeping dragon for 71k souls in Caelid (bleed helps)
5. Level Str to 21 so you can 2h the Greatsword.
6. Enough End to not fat roll
7. Rest into Vgr
8. Grab all sacred tears in Weeping Peninsula, Caelid, Lime Grave and Liurnia.
9. Grab smithing stone miner ball bearing from Raya Lucaria Crystal Tunnel.

Takes 2 hours tops and you're positioned well for early game.

I use a similar setup to quick-start the game.

One difference is going down to Weeping Peninsula early on to pick up the Morning Star, since it's a bleed weapon with easy-to-meet stat requirements you can use to beat the sleeping dragon (this step can be skipped as a Samurai or Bandit since you already start with a bleed weapon).

Then, the levels you get from the dragon can be used to meet the requirements of whatever weapon you want to use, and then dump the rest into Vigor (with a few points in Endurance if you need the armor). Although this can be mitigated early on by dipping into the fort next to the dragon for Radagon's Soreseal to boost your physical stats.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Blue Labrador posted:

Yes please I would love both of these, especially the Dex seal. Dex/Faith should be a more rewarding combo!

I also want a couple more whips. A lightning whip and some kind of intelligence whip would be rad.

More ashes of war for whips/flails would be a great idea for the DLC, as would some for fists/claws. There aren't a lot of options for the more esoteric weapon types.

Also agreed with a Dex/Faith seal. The gravel stone seal should have been a Dex/Faith seal, since so many lightning weapons use Dex.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

dialhforhero posted:

The real question regarding the DLC is what will he the “canon” ending.

Assuming it takes place AFTER you become Elden Lord.

If it is a prequel or done in a tandem timeline/dream world then, well whatever.

I assume the DLC will add one or more endings to the base game. Completing its content unlocks a new mending rune, or allows Miquella to become Marika's successor like how Ranni's ending worked. Since they're both Empyreans, it seems like a logical conclusion.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

Parkour across the rooftops and pick off the ballista operators, then do one of two things:

a) patiently cheese everything with ranged from up on the battlements, or

b) jump down, run through the door, deke right, and climb up the ladder inside. The Avatar can't fit in there but the two knights will chase you in and pursue you up the ladder, so if you can take them out it'll basically just be you and the Avatar once you step outside again.

You can also get past the avatar from the rooftop by running up the sloping beam above the door and making a running jump to the balcony. From there you can just go down the ladder to get to the grace inside. It's much easier to deal with the avatar here rather than outside with all the knights and ballistas.

Especially if you run through the doorway and down the stairs - the avatar is too big to fit through, so you can whittle it down with ranged spells from there.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I just vibe. I just hit A and keep moving. You want me to pledge myself to you? Sure, sounds good. I pledged myself to some haughty blond who never made good on my knighthood and a blue-skinned witch who gave me a bell. Helping out Seluvis who everyone hates but I don't know why. Nearly gave man with crown in roundtable the potion Seluvis gave me but I thought I should go further down Seluvis quest instead. Plus, I don't know that guy either. Seems like everyone is a huge weirdo and they all hate each other. Fine by me that means no decision I make can be incorrect

You can still continue the quest even if you handed off the potion to Gideon (or foisted it off on the turd burglar) - Seluvis just assumes everything went to plan.

So you can still get the scorpion charm with a clear conscience.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Incidentally, there's enough good Intelligence and Faith-scaling weapons in the game that you can have an INT or FAI build with minimal casting, just relying on weapons and weapon arts.

You've got Darkmoon Greatsword, Wing of Astel, or Death's Poker for INT builds, and Blasphemous Blade and Flame Art weapons for Faith.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

MechaSeinfeld posted:

you forgot the Family Heads :hb:

Family Heads is actually a good weapon? I'd always heard flails were kind of pants in Elden Ring (though maybe they've gotten better in later patches). Bastard Stars seemed like the best one, but it just seemed like an inferior version of the Wing of Astel.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

don't forget the medium doot cannon (Envoy's Long Horn)

Good catch. Haven't used the Long Horn before, since it can be a pain to farm for. But I heard it does really well against bosses despite being holy damage.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

Pest Threads rules, make sure to always be right up in their face when casting it for maximum number of hits. It's not really applicable to Mohg but you should also be targeting the furthest away point of the enemy if you can to ensure it's spending as much time as possible in the hitbox

It's worth keeping slotted all the time, the single target damage isn't incredible but it's good enough and it has incredible tracking for an incant

Tried Pest Threads against the Fire Giant, and it was barely doing any damage to him. Not sure if I wasn't standing close enough for it to proc multiple hits, or if the fire giant is one of the big bosses it's not effective on. Black Flame proved to be more effective as an option against fire-resistant enemies.

Paracelsus posted:

Dual Bandit's Curved Swords can be quite strong with elemental infustions, and aren't hard to farm in WP.

In agreement with the bandit curved sword - any weapon with Sacred Blade on it easily takes down the skeletons that drop it.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Some level breakpoints for fighting bosses:

Margit: 30 (usually closer to 35 or so due to defeating the sleeping dragon early, but probably could be beaten earlier)
Godrick: 40
Renalla: 50
Radahn: 70
Draconic Tree Sentinel: 70 (usually fight Radahn first if going for an INT or ARC build, otherwise might beeline into Leyndell)
Gold Godfrey: 75-80
Morgott: 90
Astel: 90 (again, depends on build. INT builds benefit from beating Astel earlier and completing Ranni's quest)
Rykard: 100 (probably can be beaten around 70 or so like Radahn, but completing the Volcano Manor quest requires going into the mountains)
Fire Giant: 100
Mohg: 120
Malenia, endgame bosses: 140-150

So around level 150 is the typical point for finishing the game, if going for an "all quests completed" playthrough.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

You can also keep prawn guy alive by refraining from buying his prawn until you advance the doodoo devourer's quest to the point after he invades you. He won't move to the moat until then.

There's even enough seedbed curses in the game to get the Dung Eater ending without the one dropped by prawn bro.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

Sewer Prawns on the other hand are kind of necessary to get the Lord of Blood's Exultation talisman, which in turn is kind of mandatory for blood builds.

It's also a great dungeon as well, if you like that kind of dungeon gimmick. Of the three times it appears in this game.

If you take the right route (drop down from the pipes and run along the right wall until you can get through the door on the right), you'll only have to run past one of those lobster enemies. You might still get tagged by the water gun once or twice, though.

Of course, the prawns aren't the only problem - the imps on the pipes can be just as annoying. Especially since those pipes don't give you much room to manuever, and getting knocked off means almost certain death.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

In ER, raise stats to minimum to use your weapons of choice then pump vigor to at least 40 imho.

The general guideline I use is to raise vigor to around half my total level - so boost it to 20 by Level 40, 30 by Level 60, and so on. Going all-in on vigor early on runs into the problem where your flasks fail to keep up, so they end up restoring only a paltry bit of your health bar until they're upgraded. Once you're at 40, you can leave it there until around Level 100, where you can start boosting it to 50 or 60, depending on your build. Caster builds that do mostly ranged attacks can get away with less.

20 Mind is enough for most builds. Pure casters can put more in, but no more than 38, since that gives you the maximum focus points that a fully upgraded flask can heal.

As for endurance, it's usually sufficient to put just enough in to medium roll in your armor of choice. The rest of your points can go into meeting the requirements for your weapons/spells of choice, and then into the primary scaling stat for your weapons.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

a primate posted:

I’ve only ever played quality builds with no magic because reasons but now I’m in the market for a ranged magic or incantation I can use in lieu of a crossbow. Any suggestions?

Ranged ashes of war like Storm Blade or Ice Spear can help give a bit of range to melee builds.

For incantations, Lightning Spear does good damage at range, and only needs 17 Faith (melee builds can benefit from having at least 15 Faith for the Flame Grant Me Strength buff, or even up to 25 for Golden Vow).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Saw an interview that confirms that the way to start the DLC will be to Touch The Egg, as suspected. Also have to kill Radahn, not totally sure why. Am I right that you can get to Mohg pretty early through Varre's quest? Also sounds like you can travel between the new land and the existing one at will, and there's a separate progression system which will hopefully make it difficult no matter how minmaxed your character is when you go in.

I've seen a few theories online as to why defeating Radahn is needed for the DLC mission:

1. It's for the same reasons you needed to beat him for Ranni's quest - stopping the stars somehow prevents Empyreans from fulfilling their destiny and becoming Marika's successor.

2. It's related to the eclipse Miquella was trying to create in order to revive Godwyn - that failed because of Radahn holding back the sky. A common theory I've seen has suggested the possibility of a revived or undead Godwyn as the DLC's end boss.

3. The DLC super boss will be a version of Radahn in his prime, before being afflicted with the rot. The version that was able to match Malenia, the base game's super boss.