Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
dark souls 3 wasn't fast ENOUGH and invuln windows from rolling, etc. were much too big

sekiro is a good start as far as speed / mobility go but being entirely parry-centric was a step backwards. it looks cool but it downplays positioning in favor of timing and is extremely binary. fighting mooks in Sekiro is just a matter of figuring out how to overwhelm them quickly enough that you can get into an invulnerable kill animation before killing the next one and too many of the bossfights are just glorified QTEs. it works okay for a game that really wants to push you to be stealthy and ambush your opponents to minimize how much actual work you have to do / your exposure to damage, but i wouldn't want it in a more traditional Souls game

my wish list would basically be a Souls game with Sekiro's mobility but even more freedom, let me do crazy aerial poo poo without relying so hard on pre-defined grapple points, lots of weapons to choose from but no RPG stats, and parrying either rolled back to having extremely tight timing or just removed entirely (if they can come up with something else to fill the niche)

e: and bring back invasions again, obviously, preferably with fewer restrictions so it's easier to find a host and the game's MP lifespan is extended

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

I feel like somebody in this thread just said that my all time most difficult fight in gaming, with Owl Father, was a glorified QTE?? Did that happen or did I whiff my own fart

Owl has the lingering poison mechanic which makes you actually care about your footing and where on the battlefield you're standing, so yes, you're whiffing your own fart.

He's a good fight in a game that also contains, like, Corrupted Monk and Divine Dragon, though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Midir is probably the best dragon fight in a Souls game but that's an extremely low bar.

Non-humanoid fights have never been fun, so it's basically easy gimmicks > Midir > bad gimmicks > Dragon God.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Dragon God is in the 'easy gimmicks' category though

i've only watched someone else play that one but it looked incredibly tedious, i'm basically using "easy" for "quick" here

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Divine Sakura Dragon hands down

Sakura Dragon is a neat spectacle once but it's awful on replay. There's almost nothing you can do to speed the fight up, it doesn't engage with the game's core mechanics at all, you're just going through the motions of a cutscene that will kill you if you straight-up AFK but is otherwise a foregone conclusion.

This is a very different kind of bad than Midir but at least Midir is a credible challenge, and in some respects kind of feels like an early prototype of Demon of Hatred, who is a vast improvement. (Better camera, more distinct tells, more reasonable total health especially when you factor in Malcontent giving you almost an entire free phase, and most importantly Sekiro has the grappling hook and no stamina meter, so it's not as awful when he leaps across the entire arena and you have to chase after him.)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jul 31, 2021

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

apes are hominid, i would never disparage the monkey fight

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Demon of Hatred is amazing, one of the best fights in the game. My only complaint is that I still haven't figured out how to avoid his phase 2 ranged attack where he shoots a huge cone of fire at you along the ground. I know you're theoretically supposed to jump and grapple over it but even running full-tilt there's almost never enough time to get the indicator before you take damage, and every time I do manage I have no idea how I did it or how to replicate it.

It's something made largely irrelevant by knowing how vulnerable he is to staggers, where it's easily possible to only see that pattern once in the whole fight if at all, but still frustrating not to have mastered it after all this time.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Explicitly horde-themed bosses in Souls games are rarely amazing but they're not awful either. The combat system isn't really designed to make that interesting, but it does have some support for it, especially if you're using a heavy weapon.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

sounds like we're getting Pawns

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

multijoe posted:

It's the fun kind of scary when you get the invasion message and you don't know who's coming at you or where they'll be attacking from, it's a very organic and dynamic type of gameplay we used to fantasise about before this type of experience was possible and I really don't know why some people get so bent out of shape about them playing a game you're meant to die about 200 times your first time anyway

it's because they got owned, OP

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

anyways the co-op thing is fine. despite the fact that Dark Souls bosses don't really stand up very well to group play when everyone is experienced with the game, Dark Souls was literally inspired by a scenario where people had to help each other without being able to communicate or thank the person who helped them

the multiplayer has always been the point, and moreover this implies both using co-op to overcome insurmountable obstacles and also invaders loving with you. it's also strongly reflected in the level design of the mainline Souls games, all of which are very much built to accommodate a back-and-forth push for advantage between host and invader

if you're good enough at Souls games that you can complete them solo and never need help you've basically "aged out" of the intended experience. they're supposed to be brutally unfair and then become manageable when you work together. having two helpers and then an enemy loving with you is totally in that spirit

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 28, 2021

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

You're arguing from the incorrect assumption that just because a game mechanic exists, it improves the experience, which isn't true in a lot of cases and isn't true here. A fliprolling Havel with seemingly no hitbox until he lagstabs from 30 meters away has absolutely nothing to do with whatever you're talking about and I've never experienced souls pvp being anything like that.

i mean i'm arguing in favor of PvP, not in favor of the incredibly lovely/non-existent anti-cheat or "the only matchmaking regions are 'japan' and 'not-japan'", both of which suck rear end

however as someone living on the east coast US and usually playing during US prime hours PvP functions as intended like 90% of the time and getting hackers or hardcore lag is an anomaly i can laugh off

i also play with a third-party program that can detect and disconnect cheaters which is a huge improvement to the experience (and practically mandatory for DS3 given its unpatched vulnerabilities)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i don't think that's an "incorrect assumption", though, it's just that Souls games basically have Recommended Settings: Don't Live in Australia

e: the game breaking under certain stresses is unfortunate and reflects poorly on the developers, but treating that broken state as representative of how it's supposed to work and drawing abstract, theoretical conclusions about whether a mechanic is good or bad from that isn't a good argument

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 29, 2021

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

Ninja flipping Havels haven't been a Thing since 2012.

Goons have come a long way since the old days on this board of "PYF griefing story". loving with, or getting hosed by other players is a magical part of the Dark Souls experience. The game is so freeform for it, there are so many tools, from deadly traps to great arrows to plunging attacks to hidden body/chameleon for cool little stories to happen and the players to generate Content. I want, nay, need that dopamine injection to happen.

yeah the best invasions aren't characterized by honor duels or by dunking on totally unprepared newbies, they're characterized by chaos

which is another reason i'm not that broken up about invasions being exclusive to co-op hosts

i hope we get another iteration on the purple phantom concept, hopefully one with incentives that lead to people actually using them instead of it being a vestigial mechanic after like the first week

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I've played every Souls game through multiple times and I dunno if I've even hit double digits on getting invaded.

the older games have a timer/grace period between invasions and DS3 makes it impossible to be invaded again until you meet certain criteria that reset the status, with "entering a new area for the first time" and "summoning phantoms" being the most common ones. this is on top of (usually) needing to be embered, lacking either criteria will keep you safe

it has mixed results because on the one hand it means that nobody who is completely unprepared gets invaded repeatedly, but on the other hand it also contributes to 99% of invasions being RIGHT at the start of the level, which on some levels is far less interesting than getting caught out deeper into things

e: it's also what makes the Anor Londo section of Irithyll so good -- the beginning of that zone is strongly biased towards the host, with the really nasty areas that favor the invader deeper in. so hosts are frequently much more willing to press forward, and then once they've built up some momentum, they're psychologically less likely to get scared and stop

compare this to, say, Cathedral of the Deep, which despite being one of my favorite levels in any video game ever, immediately hits the host with a tight, constrained gauntlet full of enemies, some of whom can grab you or cause bleeds. it's strongly biased towards the invader and i almost never see anyone brave enough to try it anyways, which is a shame because the rest of the Cathedral is amazing to invade in while that front area is honestly kind of boring.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 29, 2021

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

If a mechanic is broken every single time I come across it then it's a bad mechanic to me, because it doesn't work. You're the one who's arguing based on a hypothetical situation of invasions always working as Miyazaki intended*, which is not reflected in reality.

no i'm not? i'm arguing from a) my own experience and b) the game working the way it's supposed to on a technical level

it's a "hypothetical" in the way that if you were to try to run a modern AAA game on integrated graphics you'd have a bad time. like from a consumer review perspective that's important and expecting things to be reasonably optimized is a subjective but fair thing to talk about, but from an artistic one you basically just... weren't able to play the game

e: i'm trying not to come off as too condescending but, like, you are absolutely correct when you say that a "fliprolling Havel" or whatever has nothing to do with what i'm talking about. because it doesn't, and i am not interested in the fliprolling Havel beyond acknowledging that yeah that kind of sucks and they should fix it.

it's a legitimate grievance! but the grievance isn't even about design principles, which is what i'm talking about

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 29, 2021

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Jerkface posted:

one of my favorite things was polymorphing into a piece of terrain and hiding \ going afk during invasions wasting untold minutes of someone's life while I worked from home

i love hide-and-go-seek. it rewards familiarity with the level (for both parties!) and it's a nice change of pace from the always-on energy of a normal invasion which can get a little tiring if you marathon it.

if you really want to bore an invader to death the way to go is just to hang out in spawn and refuse to leave

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

huh posted:

Q: One of the warmest discussions about the Souls series was talk about difficulty options as well as accessibility options. We have always been curious about From Software's attitude regarding this. What exactly does From Software think? And what do Kitao-san's personal opinions about it do?

A: We want this game to be enjoyed by anyone, both hardcore RPG gamers who are more interested in character and class building action and always want to test it. But we also want action game-loving gamers who are quite optimistic about their ability to join. For the latter, we also provide systems such as stealth, Spirit Summons, and cooperative multiplayer. We wanted to create as many options as possible so that whatever type of gamer came along, he found his place at Elden Ring.

From hitting 'em with the old "easy mode is called 'having friends'" :allears:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Sekiro runs at 60 FPS (or even 144 FPS with an unlocker) on PC and unfortunately that matters more than any amount of improvements in terms of higher-level gameplay systems

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

hatty posted:

I hope Elden Ring has the cool step dodge like Sekiro and Bloodborne, the roll is so goofy

i hope it has the roll animation but the speed and other properties of a Sekiro/Bloodborne dodge

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

:thunk:

DeS - no shield game
DS - no shield game
DS2 - no shield game
BB - no shield game
DS3 - no shield game
Sek - no shield game
ER - no shield game

:sickos:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

the dodge has six or seven i-frames (sources differ and idk which to trust exactly), which objectively speaking is tons and more than capable of phasing through most attacks. it's just that the sekiro deflect has like a loving 30-frame window unless you spam it

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

DS3 is the best game in the trilogy and it isn't even close

"but progression through the different areas of the game is so much more freeform in DS1!"

who cares, none of that means anything if the core gameplay feels like wading through molasses by comparison. DS3 isn't even actually very fast by action game standards, it just achieves a reasonable minimum. plus imagine playing dark souls with no diagonal rolling. disgusting

the one good/important thing the original game had going for it was fewer restrictions on invasions and the remake did away with that and retroactively made it work exactly like DS3 instead anyways lol

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

acyclicity posted:

I honestly think if DS1 had DS3 combat mechanics and bosses, it would be the perfect game.

yeah that's a fair assessment

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

although "perfect" would be more like "Dark Souls 3 stamina management (for attacks) and positioning requirements with Sekiro-level mobility and freedom of movement"

which, good news, is exactly how they're advertising Elden Ring! fingers crossed for it to actually deliver

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

skasion posted:

Maiden in Black remains the best level wife

Emma is the best because instead of just kind of passively existing, she'll kick your rear end if you get out of line.

(She's also not really where you level but she upgrades your healing gourd, that's close enough.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

DS3 PvP would be better if chugging animation speed were decreased (and the netcode were better) but i don't mind the amount of healing you have access to. it rewards relentless aggression over attrition, the only problem is that lag can make chug punishes inconsistent or even impossible under extreme circumstances, when they should be reactable as long as you're on the ball about it

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Why did they call him Big Hat Logan?

He was infamously afraid of turning 30, like in the cult classic Logan's Run (1976)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

huh posted:

Is there better 3rd person combat in gaming than FROM?

Witcher 3 is janky as.

there are some third person shooters i'd take over them but it's kinda apples to oranges

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

tank controls are a war crime and any game with them should be buried and forgotten

i'm talking about, like, Warframe or Horizon Zero Dawn

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Sum Gai posted:

The pedant in me has to point out that HZD doesn't have tank controls by any definition I know- if you press left you... move left, and so on. You don't swivel around and then press forward to actually move.

... yes, i know. i'm presenting them as contrasts, not examples

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

that jump animation looks incredibly silly. i love it and i hope it's real

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i will riot if the patches squat isn't in the game completely unchanged

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

patches but it's Patch the Good Luck from Armored Core, complete with mech, inexplicably

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

the important thing (besides poise) is that strength weapons excel at coverage, which allows for much more aggressive play in both PvE and invasions, despite being usually objective worse at single-target damage output and in duels

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

acyclicity posted:

I mean, the point is to prevent quick swapping in combat (unless you invest in the equipment load stat). It definitely affects the way fights are balanced, especially in DS2. I'm pretty happy they did away with the overall weight limit from Demon's Souls though.

yeah but it doesn't do that at all lol, all it does is give a significant advantage to people who learn to do efficient swapping from inventory

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Mailer posted:

Ideally it'd all be like BB's design - just cut out all the non-decisions.

this is why Sekiro is the best Souls game at the system level. i like a lot of the actual level design and specific fights in DS3 better but DS3 is still stuck in the "this is at least as much RPG as action game" mode and it's mostly for the worse

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

if you're uncomfortable with Miyazaki's fetishes i have bad news about literally the entirety of Dark Souls

well except for Gwynevere, which was apparently done without his knowledge by the art team and then he couldn't bear to tell them no lol

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Pulcinella posted:

I like how Sekiro puts puts “Portuguese father in a European suit of armor” on the same level as “headless undead body” or “Floating spirit warrior.”

"dads are powerful" is pretty much the theme of Sekiro in general

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

GodFish posted:

You can also find their spirits happily hanging out with Kotaro in the spiritual monkey realm!

Where they implicitly get their bloody revenge on any monks you spirit away, monks being the only enemies who are outright killed by the use of those gear items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

moons for the "moon's haunted" throne