Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Kilazar posted:

I'm not a fan of the theme for Sekiro just looking at the "base description" of Disgraced Shinobi vs Samurai clan... I prefer a good smattering non human (or non mundane monster) engagement mixed in with the human/wild life engagement. I like to see dragons and giants. Kill weird grotesques...etc.

Same reason I could never get into the Hitman, Yakuza or GTA games. Just standard Human on Human stuff.

all of those things are in sekiro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
its a sleep swamp full of purple sleepy flowers, you can see it in the trailer complete with sleeping player

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Phrosphor posted:

I got all the way to the Elden Beast, but couldn't kill it or Milenia who I also got to. Do I start again or try and complete my save? It's been awhile since I last tried. Would it be worth starting a new character and clearing everything apart from the last boss and Mohg or better to start when the DLC drops? How do previous DLCs interact with the main game in FromSoft history? ER was my first FromSoft Soulslike so I don't know what has happened in the past.

ds1, ds2, ds3 and bloodborne all have a location in the game world that you use to access the beginning of the first new area and from there its just like theres another zone in the game. i guess technically you can never just walk to the dlc, you always have to warp there via cutscene, which makes it distinct from the rest of the game, but all of those games already have zones you have to warp to, so if you didnt know the games had dlc you wouldnt be able to tell

edit: all this to say that the one thing you should avoid doing is going to new game plus right before the dlc comes out

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I mean that there are 8 new weapons types that you won't encounter until the endgame. It would just be nice to have low-level versions to play through the whole game with.

Wondering based on how previous DLCs have been handled for this franchise. It seems like they don't change the base game, from what I've heard.

dark souls 1-3 and bloodborne all had insanely sick new weapons in the dlc that you could rush to pretty much as soon as you unlocked it, and also insanely sick weapons that you would struggle to get without beating most of the dlc. for example:

dark souls 1: gold/silver tracer can be acquired before the hard part of the dlc, but the obsidian greatsword requires beating kalameet, the hardest boss in the game
dark souls 2: each dlc has tons of cool weapons sitting around but the best stuff is from the last bosses, like the fune ultra greatsword or alonne’s sword
dark souls 3: weapons everywhere but you have to beat friede to get her scythe and the ringed city weapons are mostly really late
bloodborne: whirligig saw and others accessible from dlc unlock, holy moonlight sword requires beating ludwig, dont even get me started on the rakuyo

so the MO for these games dlc weapons is that some of them can be rushed quickly to play with for the back half of your NG cycle, and others require more dedication. but there’s absolutely zero chance that they are adding dlc weapons as class starter weapons or drops from non-dlc zones, you will have to get the dlc items from the dlc zone no matter what, anything else would be a huge unexpected divergence from fromsoft’s normal structure

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Do you get double healing if you duplicate the remembrance to get 2 of them?

you cant use the ash of war with both at the same time. powerstancing the Great Stars greatmace or the Butcher’s Knife does double their health regen on-hit bonuses though

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

doomrider7 posted:

No worse. It requires chopping off his tail which is even HARDER since he gives very openings to hit him there. It arguably being the best dragon weapon is a bonus slap in the face(can be buffed and it's special is a black flame AoE).

ive never gotten it lol

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

I have a mental problem with Souls games

They give you a zillion tools that you can cleverly use like Batman utility belt gadgets to beat an enemy

But I never remember to use them in the heat of combat, if it’s not in my hands they don’t exist

those useable items are the ultimate proof that its a real rpg

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Right right right, I do understand that But like. When you select the sacred blade ash of war, how do you choose between affinity after you’ve selected it? I’m not sitting down with the game this minute, but from my recollection when you select an ash of war it just has its affinity. Not multiple to toggle between, unless I couldn’t find that specific button. Or any indication of what button I hit to toggle between affinities.

certain ashes of war allow you to choose from a set list of affinities or all of them. iirc bloody slash for instance legs you pick normal, keen, heavy, blood or occult. sacred blade applies a flat holy damage buff on use so in practice you can do lightning affinity, use the buff and do slashing, lightning and holy damage

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

dialhforhero posted:

Aren’t there a finite number of smithing stones (not somber)? Because I was farting around and experimenting with different weapons and now I can’t upgrade any because I don’t have any way to get 1s, 2s, and 3s until much, MUCH later in my playthrough.

:smith:

That’s my biggest beef with smithing and gear.

the bell bearing needed to unlock unlimited purchase of regular smithing stones 1 and 2 from the twin maiden husks can be found in a location called “raya lucaria crystal tunnel.” i dont understand why you think you have to wait until much later in your playthrough

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the only playstyle from launch thats less pve viable now is double ultra greatswords doing only jump attacks, and thats only not viable anymore because everything else got buffed, including the rest of the ultra greatsword moveset

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
bows are safer than melee and have faster animations than magic but do less damage than both. bow builds are fun and not terribly difficult but they require patience

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Node posted:

I'm never going to be able to beat that in its own arena. It makes Malenia look like some trash hollow from Dark Souls.

killed it in about fifteen seconds last night on ng+6 with reduvia’s weapon art. took about the same amount of time on that character’s ng+5 cycle using an eochaid’s dancing blade setup. ulcerated tree spirits real weakness is that it is an enormous target

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the interesting thing about dark souls 2 is that the fancy tesselation it had in the earliest footage before the “graphical downgrade” looks exactly like the tesselation bloodborne uses for all of its surfaces

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
my only problem with sidequests is that so many of them reward final weapon upgrade stones so on subsequent ng+ cycles you still have to do them

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Speaking of missable quests, I just found out that if you get both halves of the Haligtree medallion before talking to Latenna, she'll be dead when you get there and you can't do her quest. Which kind of sucks because it gives you one of the only 8 ancient somber smithing stones you can get per playthrough. Honestly not a huge deal, I can't imagine there are many people who beat Commander Niall before going back to do a semi-hidden side dungeon in Liurnia, but it's certainly possible.

I'm really looking forward to having more ancient smithing stones from the DLC.

its a bigger annoyance on ng+ cycles

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
if you dont have at least one way of dealing a good amount of every type of damage then you havent finished your build yet

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
maliketh isnt too hard on ng but on late ng+ cycles he becomes a real menace

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm running a pure dex build because I am bad at Souls games. What magical thing should I level to wreck house? I need to find a couple whetstones to give me access to all the infusions or whatever they're called in this game.

hit points

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
bad at souls games: hp
good at souls games: damage stats
really good at souls games: stay at level 1

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Str/Dex to weapon requirements -> Vigor to 40 -> Endurance to 25 -> Dex to 80 -> Vigor to 60

Keen or Lightning for infusions

for a new player who self-identifies as bad i would do dex to 50, then vigor to 60, then start pumping dex up to 80

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
my main dude is a level ~300 str/dex/arcane build (60 vit, 38 end, 29 mnd, 66 str, 80 dex, 22 int, 27 fth, 99 arc) and the highest dps somber weapons are the marais executioner’s sword or dual wielded reduvias, depending on whether the enemy can bleed and whether you have all of the best talismans for the build. also in my weapon stable is occult great stars, regalia of eochaid, bloody helice, moghwyn’s spear, morgott’s sword, and the serpent bow, plus the dragon communion talisman and all the beast incantations. i dont use rivers of blood or eleonora’s poleblade because theyre both worse than at least one of my other preferred weapons. i didnt anticipate this build out-dpsing every other build ive made on ng+7^, but it does, and easily

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bluff Buster posted:

I'm in the middle of an Arcane run and am planning to pair Mohg's Spear with an Occult Greatlance with a seppuku Ash of War. I think the ash was nerfed at one point, but committing seppuku with such a massive weapon looks goofy enough to work for it.

if you use lord of blood’s exultation then seppuku is a massive 20% damage buff on top of the bleed procs

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

doomrider7 posted:

According to Martin the backstory took place over 5k years ago. Dunno if he means the stuff pre-shattering or post though or if it's an overall backstory. At minimum, definitely a few decades to a few centuries maybe even more though.

i believe the shattering of the elden ring the last chronological event in his story bible. i have no reason to believe this besides instinct from reading all his other books.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the characters who say its more beautiful up close are referencing the huge LOD increase

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

skasion posted:

Well, Goldmask can definitely see grace though, he’s called out in the opening cutscene as one of the few chosen to restore the Ring. So yeah he definitely gets the whole golden tree. With others like Corhyn and Boc it’s more ambiguous.

i think the opening cutscene is referencing all tarnished and listing notable examples of tarnished. i also presume the “grace of gold” is the guiding beams of golden light that lead from one grace to another, or perhaps the graces themselves. they are called graces after all

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ariong posted:

My take (not unique at all): At some point in the recent past many (all?) tarnished suddenly began to see the guidance of grace once more after decades, or perhaps generations, of bring abandoned by the Greater Will. The Greater Will bestowed the guidance of grace on every Tarnished it thought might be able to fix the Elden Ring. As time went on, it began taking the guidance away from people one by one as it narrowed down the list of people most likely to get the job done. By the start of the game, the only people who can still see the guidance of grace are the ones mentioned in the intro.

*You, the Tarnished of No Renown. We know you can see the guidance of grace because, well, you can.

*Hoarah Loux. We know he can see the guidance of grace because we can see his in his intro cutscene. You and him are the last to see it. The Greater Will can’t decide which of you is most likely to mend the rune, so it uses the guidance to lead you and him into a battle to the death to settle the matter.

*Goldmask, Fia, and Dung Eater. We know they have the potential to mend the Elden Ring because they are the ones who, with your help, can create mending runes. They have so much willpower and such strong belief in their respective visions of how the world should work that they can bring a new rune into existence to reinforce the Elden Ring, that has to count for something! However, I imagine that by the end of the game they will have lost the guidance of grace, particularly at the moment when they create their mending rune. All of these people have some sort of beef with the Greater Will, and thus the Greater Will is incentivized to string them along until they make their mending rune and then ditch them in favor of someone else who can use the mending rune but may not be as hostile toward the Greater Will, i.e. you.

*Sir Gideon Offnir. I think this explains a lot of his motivation. He’s an egotist who sees the guidance of grace, and his ability to see it, as confirmation that he will someday be the greatest and smartest and most specialest of all tarnished. He raises Nepheli Loux because she can see it and being the father of the most specialest tarnished is his backup plan. When she stops being able to see it, he drops her like a hot potato. He stops seeing the guidance of grace when you get Destined Death. The confrontation with him in the ashen capital is basically him saying “If I’m not fit to be the next elden lord, nobody is. Certainly not you!”

sounds about right

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i do think at least the tarnished that show up in the hub also see the guidance of grace, at least at first

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

DreamingofRoses posted:

The Elden Beast keeps kicking my rear end and I can’t tell if it’s because I’m bad at the game and my build is poo poo or if I’m just bad at the game

if you have incantations you can trivialize the fight with lord’s divine fortification, if you have spells you can spam thops’ barrier to never get hit by projectiles, there are lots of other tricks, elden beast to me seems like the ultimate build versatility/supplementary techniques check but the thing to know is that it does mostly holy damage and receives very little, and also cant bleed

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Squiggly Beast posted:

The Elden Beast sucks poo poo. It's either a pain in the rear end (non faith build) or fairly braindead.

If you can cast Gideon's "gently caress You Demigods" incantation (Lord's Divine Fortification) it increases holy damage resistance by 60% which renders its only threatening attack a non-issue. Otherwise, I hope you like dodging Elden Stars while it swings its noodly arms around everywhere. :woop:

the thops barrier spell also trivializes elden stars if you spam it

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Annath posted:

Are the parry-rated ashes of war (carian retaliation, golden parry, thops' barrier) improved by using a buckler, since those have better normal parry windows?

no, the “better parry window” of the buckler in elden ring is actually a different ash of war called “buckler parry”

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

DreamingofRoses posted:

Primarily Faith, using Black Flame as my primary incantation and I have the Nagakiba in my right hand to buff with black flame if I need it.

For the actual numbers because I don’t have an intuitive understanding of how things should be proportioned:

Level 143

Vigor: 30
Mind: 31
Endurance: 20
Strength: 19
Dexterity: 30
Intelligence: 22
Faith: 66
Arcane: 15

Currently wielding the Nagakiba +24 and Godslayer’s Seal +25

Talismans are the Haligdrake Talisman +2, Green Turtle Talisman, Flock’s Canvas Talisman, and Two Fingers Heirloom

I do have Lord’s Fortification and Tiche +10

you have half as much vigor as you should. youre at fighting rennala amounts of vigor

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
if you fight the last boss halfway to the vigor cap then youre effectively taking double damage

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Kor posted:

does vigor really need to be that high? i just finished the game for the first time and stopped when i got vigor to 40, i don’t think i even had it at 30 by the time i took on rennala.

like this isn’t some kind of humblebrag, i feel like i was p bad at the game this run compared to when i first played it on release.

it doesnt need to be but if you are dying a lot then it should be your priority. its also the only stat thats always good for every build so its worth prioritizing its soft cap over the rest. i consider 40 the bare minimum for endgame but 60 is the softcap so you might as well aim for it

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
of course if youre on later ng+ cycles and you dont have 60 vigor every boss altus or later is going to one-shot you. hell i got one-shot last night by godfrey from full hp with morgott’s rune. they hosed up ng+ scaling in this game but im not sure to what degree

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the albinauric staff scales insanely well with arcane. i have just enough int to equip night shard, gavel of haima and loretta’s greatbow on my 99 arcane character for when im up against a magic-weak boss and they can put out huge damage

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

snoremac posted:

I don't like how if you fall a damage-causing distance and use Torrent's double jump it ignores the shift in momentum and damages you the same!

fool. anyone whose played previous souls-like games knows you can only avoid fall damage by exploiting iframes in canned animations

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i think ive reached the dps softcap. 99str/99dex/99arc with powerstanced bleed infused curved swords and rotted winged knight/millicent’s prosthesis/physick flask with consecutive damage boost + lord of blood’s exultation means im doing about 20k damage in a single L1 combo and if the boss cant bleed i swap lord of blood for godfrey icon and use the marais wxecutioner sword, which took out elden beast with two fully charged L2s. ng+7. this will be my dlc build

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Are people who are doing dlc builds starting the characters before or after it launches? I can't decide which way I want to go with it, though I have decided what I'm playing (crucible knight/dragon cult incant)

i have two dlc characters, one at level 150, int/str, with all bosses completed in NG and parked at mohg’s grace. the other is the level 400 arc/str/dex character on ng+7 with ONLY margit, godrick and mohg defeated. when the dlc launches im not going to want to spend the time levelling up a new guy

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Annath posted:

Is the Serpent Hunting Spear the only weapon in ER that's like the Dragonslayer Swordspear from DS3? I liked that weapon, but the Serpent Hunter's AoW is obviously only intended for Rykard.

no, there’s also the guardian’s swordspear, dropped by the little guys around the minor erdtrees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Are we certain that there will be nothing changed about the main game and new to experience on a fresh guy before killing those two?

its possible they will add some npc with a small amount of dialogue and maybe a new gesture and some new boss summons, like in bloodborne when they added valtr and the vermin and the madaras twins stuff with the dlc patch. but i doubt it