Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I haven't upgraded my computer since Obama's first term, and I am absolutely stoked to play Elden Ring on Friday for a whole 15 minutes before my rig bursts into flames, consuming me along with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Seems to be playable on my nearly 10 year old PC. It's pretty choppy, and it definitely doesn't look as good as it could, but it's playable so far.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ceramics posted:

how my 8GB ram bois holding up? been ok for me so far

I've got 8GB and I'm at around 75% usage.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

What does the red square icon with the down arrow mean? Is it decreasing my max HP? I can't figure out what's causing it.

Also,

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm really appreciating the fact that if a boss gets too frustrating for me, I can just bail out and explore for a while to chill out.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I've been trying to do more guard counters which is such a neat counterattack method and I was so upset when I was fighting one of the knights in Stormveil castle, successfully guard-countered.... and he renewed his combo before the counter could even land and wiped me out :negative:

Yeah that's the main caveat with guard counters, you still need to be faster than your enemy's next attack (or have a lot of poise). It's also not great if you're dealing with multiple enemies.

One-handed maces are really good for guard counters.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Stormveil Castle: I think I've cleared the whole place out, including the hosed up tree guy down below, but there's a section across the gap from where I drop down to the tree guy that I can't reach. I assume it's connected to the one way door next to the lift room grace, and I can see a door that seems to be connected to the cathedral that Rogier is in, but no obvious way in. What am I missing here?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dropbear posted:

I keep hearing about using R2 attacks to stagger bosses, but.. how? I'm at Margit atm, and if I ever use an R2 after the first phase, I get hit. There just doesn't seem to be any window to do anything except -maybe- a quick R1 sometimes, and even then I often get punished out of the blue (he did the big huge swing, now's an opening.. oh wait, he just did an instant magic dagger combo). The game also seems to love faking attack times, which I find a bit weird. Like sometimes bosses start up a swing, you dodge.. and they instead keep delaying in place & hitting you after. Margit even does it mid-air, just hangs in there for a moment & if you don't know he's going to do it, you're poo poo out of luck dodging that.

Maybe I should use dex stuff and quick weapons instead, feels like heavy twohanders are a really bad idea for bosses here.

Jump + R2 does a ton of poise damage. Block + R2 also does a lot, but it's riskier (wait until the end of a combo).

The other important thing about staggering is that you need to keep hitting the boss, or else its stagger meter resets. Any hit at all will keep the meter up, even just throwing a rock at it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Barudak posted:

Loving that theres some bug in my game so I have a fake imp key in my inventory. Glad I took that as my starting gift!

Are you trying to use one imp key on a statue that requires two? Some statues require two.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Liurnia NPC spoilers

Game of the year.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Can someone give me a hint for where the flail is? I saw someone say it was near the starting area but I've looked all over the place.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hulk Krogan posted:

It's in the ruin/guard camp right before the castle gate that the gold light leads you to. There are two wagons that each have a chest. The flail is in one and there's a greatsword in the other.

Dang I thought I cleared that camp. Thanks.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

How the heck do I get down to this part of Stormveil Castle? It's obviously connected to the one-way door in the room with the nearby grace, but I can't see any other way in.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I think thats behind a swordkey door

I've already unlocked both of the sword key doors I've found in there, nada.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

punch drunk posted:

I'm pretty sure this is from the path in the area with the little pot dudes and the broken floor that leads further down the main path of the dungeon. On the left side of the broken floor theres a dead body - run past that and hop from the wooden platform to a stone lip. You'll go along a path that eventually brings you above the pots and around the outside of the castle. The area in the picture was fine but below that theres another area where I got smoked. Might be for later since that area has the door that opens right to the Liftside Chamber.

Thanks! Can't believe I missed the ledge above the pots, complete with an item to catch my attention.

Next question, how do I get here:

Map for reference:

There's a stuck elevator at the 1 marker that I assume connects to that ledge, but I've looked all over and can't find any way down there.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DarthRoblox posted:

In the bit of the ramparts with the three (four? more?) bomb birds, go to roughly the middle where there's a bit that sticks out from the main wall. Go to the far edge, and try jumping.

fuuuuuuck I thought I checked there. Thanks!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

How do you get the item that's on the cliff right behind where you start? I've seen a couple other people ask, and the responses have been like it's in a cave on the beach or somewhere around there. I've found the coastal cave on the west beach, but that just leads to the nearby island.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Vermain posted:

there's a stretch of beach to the west of the seaside ruins bonfire that you need to parkour down to on the local ruined pillars. there's a guy with a weapon art there and a cave that leads to the item

Is it the guy with the gravity weapon art? I searched all over that beach and didn't see any caves.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Weeping Peninsula: I've pretty much cleared out the outside of the fort, is there any way inside? I fought the boss on the island, I found the guard captain and then found his dead daughter. It seems like that's it down there though unless I'm missing something?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm aware of that. Is that a yes or no to my question?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Verisimilidude posted:

Do AI write these articles or something? https://gamingintel.com/elden-ring-sorcery-spell-effects-locations-requirements/

Almost every detail in this article is wrong, from prices to requirements to location to even the number of spells listed

Very likely yes. There's a million of those sites with professional sounding names like that, they pop up whenever you google for something in a game. I'm pretty sure they're just there to scrape other sites, game the search algorithm, and then sell ads for as little cost as possible.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

Looking for some exploration hints regarding the Academy: I finished the area / cleared the boss, but there was a few spots I couldn't get to, and I'm not sure if I missed something, or if entry lies elsewhere (teleport): It looks like there's an upper floor/balcony to the Debate Parlor, as well, while crossing the rooftops in the area after the Debate Parlor, I saw an interior to a bell tower and some rooftops I couldn't figure out how to get to because the jump looked very much not possible, but they look in bounds because I saw an enemy over on them.

When you leave the debate room out into the big courtyard, immediately go right.

No idea about the rooftops though, I'm puzzled by that as well.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Speaking of Patches, He told me that the Iron Maiden thing at the bottom of the water wheel in Raya Lucaria would teleport me if I got caught by it. I tried that and I just took damage. Is any of that true, or is it just Patches being Patches?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I found a giant loving hammer. The 2-hand R2 is amazing. You do a somersault over it and then flip it over your head.

Gonna be rocking this bad boy as soon as I can get the 40 strength I need just to 2-hand it :shepface:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ainsel River: Is there a second entrance to this place? I've explored the southern part of the map with the ants and the dragonkin boss, but I can't seem to reach the northern half at all.

Just a yes or no answer please.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Very important question: is it Gods' Kin or God Skin

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

gently caress it, I'm cheesing this rear end in a top hat with bleed arrows.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Do spirit ashes increase boss HP like normal coop summoning does? I'm guessing no but I just wanted to check.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My game just crashed and it keeps crashing when I try to reload the save. Not sure what happened, but I was in the Cliffside Catacombs, and I tried on a helmet I found in there (very shiny, didn't catch the name). The game initially crashed when I unequipped the helmet. Anyone have a similar issue? I'm going to try validating my files.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Just want to point out to all the Dark Souls 2 fans that there is once again a lava castle area right above a windmill area.

Sadly no elevator connecting the two as far as I can tell.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm gonna bet that the big dragon that you can cheese for 100,000 runes in the first 10 minutes will get changed in some way. Either make it immune to bleed or make the smaller dragons aggro you if you attack its tail.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Is there any way to kill the chariot in the Gelmir Hero's Grave? I'm guessing there is since I was able to kill them in the two other chariot dungeons I've found so far.

Just a yes or no answer, I'll figure it out myself.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

How late are you "intended" to do Caelid? I keep revisiting it after making story progress, and even at level 100 with 40 vigor, everything still hits like a truck and has a million HP. I just finished the capitol and that felt significantly easier.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

Limgrave -> Liurnia / Siofra -> Caelid feels like the "intended" path, assuming you aren't dipping into the Dragonbarrow parts of Caelid, which I personally thought were really rough even after clearing (post-nerf) Radahn. Like the Fort where you get the medallion was rough. I suppose at that point you can do some of Nokron.

OK yeah I was specifically in Fort Faroth to get some treasure I missed. The loving bat demons' grab attack was doing like 90% of my max HP.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm beginning to feel like one of the big flaws with this game is how hard it is to try out all the cool new weapons the game throws at you. I wish they'd just get rid of weapon upgrades altogether, or change the system to something a little less restrictive. Like something where you upgrade your proficiency with weapon types?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sorry if this was already posted.

https://twitter.com/DonMarramiau/status/1507067433219203072

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

too good to get lost at the bottom of a page

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zmej posted:

huh, this is not what I expected and explains what I've experienced/watched. kinda disappointing, because you gotta keep the pressure up or stance bars regen, so with slower colossal weapons on certain bosses/enemies I struggle with stance breaks.

do hammers get bigger stance damage?

You have to keep the pressure on, yes, but any amount of damage from any source will keep the stagger bar from falling. If you have to go out of range, pull out some throwing knives and get a few quick hits in. Or better yet, use spirit ashes.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I think the snails are more like snakes with shells than snails. You even get serpent arrows from them

Be wary of snake, but house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Is there any way to change a weapon's scaling without changing the weapon art? I'm using the Battle Hammer and I want to make it heavy, but as far as I can tell there's no way to get a loose copy of the weapon art it has.