Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Moonveil scales a bit better and comes out a bit faster, but the Poker is absolutely an undervalued killing tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

stormveil is also where I found One Weird Spell that put me on a weird path to collect all the death spells and twinbird-associated objects in the game. I don't regret it, some of the death spells are really good.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

idk, the haligtree and consecrated snowfield are pretty well hidden unless you're very thorough in your exploration. you can't even go there without the right boxes being checked, unlike ash lake where you can just kind of stumble in by flailing about wildly.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

I'm just going off of commonly reported experiences from the first couple weeks of ER's launch, where I saw a shitton of posts on Twitter/reddit/here/my workplace's slack of people finding out the haligtree existed only after finishing the game. I guess for a lot of people if you have to talk to a smug dick to find out something, you'll never find it out.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Foul Fowl posted:

yeah but wasn't ash lake the exact same thing? except even more surprising because no one except 5 people had played a souls game before dark souls and didn't realise that game devs were allowed to hide things from the player

that's more or less what I mean: they always have something that's pretty obscure, it's just a question of how and what clues exist, going back to Demon's Souls and earlier. I think a lot of people have a sort of nostalgia for the ash lake, when odds are really good that we mostly all saw a message by a wall that said `try rolling` and belly-flopped down a tree without making any sort of discovery on our own.

regardless of how you feel about things like the hole to Nokstella or the medallion entrance to Consecrated Snowfield, these are things that are more practical to discover on one's own. imo this is a sign of more mature solutions to the same design space.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

my rear end didn't pay for any online functionality in Demon's Souls so I stumbled into a lot of events the hard way there and I've been stumbling intentionally ever since

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

because Morgott is older, more powerful, and more directly in tune with the Elden Rune's intentions.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

JBP posted:

After what feels like forever this dex/faith lightning build loving kicks rear end. Can fight at range or up close. Using Giant Hunt spear and Hoslow's whip with bloodhound step. I went with the metal whip because it conducts electricity. I also just hit 46 faith so I can cast Fortissax's lightning spear. I went into that room on the way to consecrated snowfield full of little assholes and a land octopus and got big lols casting it.

just as a general rule a hoslows whip with bloodhound step solves 99% of problems in the game. doubly so if you make it a cold one.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

frostbite really is the best all-around debuff, it's incredible. I mained the death's poker through most of the game and its lingering effect field proca frostbite like you wouldn't believe. I haven't tried ghost flame explosion since the buff, but now that it lasts longer, I bet it's similar.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

I mean obviously you could just use a frost dragon incantation or cast some ice sorceries or use frost pots but I like the shock and awe of ghost flame effects.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

yeah, it comes out a lot faster and actually does damage. I was playing kind of roleplayingly and committed to int/fth and death spells as a general rule, but I cast absolutely everything for a while to try it out. the only spells I wasn't impressed by were the magma sorceries, rykard's rancor aside.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

if you happen to be an int/fth build using the golden order seal, the beast incantations can do a really ridiculous amount of damage, but their requirements do allow them to be used on virtually any build that benefits from an alternative scaling seal. that's the power, they can be strength. they can also be int.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

I got pre-nerf Radahn with rancorcall and a lot of fancy footwork.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Got this STR char (he's actually pretty balanced between Vig/End/Str) to level 81 and it's been a blast. Over in Altus Plateau now. Problem is I was supposed to be playing this character alongside my brother, leveling about the same, but I got hooked and now I'm ahead of him by a ton. So, I want to roll another character and level them up to match where my brother's at then keep him there for when my brother's around.

Coming to the thread because my first ever character was is a DEX/INT that I didn't have really much of any fun with. That character is level 50 something and also in Altus (I didn't look at a guide even once with him, so that's how that happened. Also I think I skipped like a dozen bosses or more to return to.) I'm not convinced I'll ever load him up again just because backtracking to see what was missed would be a nightmare (?).

So I need the thread to help me out with a Level 1 NG build that is fun to play from the start. DEX/INT left a bad taste because of the low (viable) spell selection and fairly high stat requirements, meaning I was bored out of my mind spamming Pebble, Slicer, Bow, and occasionally switching over to claws. STR has been a dream. I've felt strong from the jump and once I got Grafted Greatsword online (Level 32) it's been stomp city joy fest the whole run. Haven't even gotten bored of the weapon and am mostly having fun pumping endurance for some cool looks.

What NG Level 1 build is fun from get? I'll hear out DEX/INT if there's a route that gets it up and fun early enough. Everything else is on the table, too, (save a duplicate of my Vig/End/Str man) just spare me rushing to Greyoll to mash R1 for 10 mins so I can play the build or whatever.

try int/fth, get death's poker as early as possible. use weird spells like rancorcall/ancient death of rancor. it's interesting, fairly quick to set up, and how I beat the game the first time. you end up able to do basically anything you want, with some prep.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

I know it requires a bit of arc but I can't believe we're discussing fth without once mentioning flies.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

It ain't what it was at launch, it's not horrible but you're always going to be better off casting anything else

idk. they're still great vs anything weak to bleeding, and they still track pretty aggressively (not rancor aggressive, but still aggressive). granted I change my spells a lot based on where I am but I usually keep flies prepared.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

I could never get much in the way of bleed procs out of them, do you have high arc? Maybe it scales with it if you're using the dragon communism seal? The blood claws are my favorite from that school, if you can trade a hit the combo of fully charged horns into chain casting it is brutal

It's biggest problem for me is that Flame of the Fell God is just so much more fun and effective as a fire and forget, ponderously slow tracking spell. It's one more spell slot but it also puts enemies on their rear end in a spot where they're taking constant fire damage.

I'm coming at this from a high-fth, high-int perspective, so my golden order sigil has some bizzonkers high scaling. that could be part of it, afaik it only scales with your raw spell power. to me the real value of flies is how easy they are to weave into everything else you're doing, since they cast fairly quick and just fly away.

skasion posted:

I tried swarm of flies but I couldn’t get into it. It does cause bleed if you can line up a couple hits, and it does track, but the projectile isn’t particularly fast, it’s all the way at Mohgwyn, and there’s incants that do bleed-levels of burst damage anyway. I feel like any time I used it I could have cast pest threads twice instead and do more damage each time

this is probably the truer reason not to use it, aside from bleed and chilled detonations serving as interruptions for certain really fast bosses.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Yadoppsi posted:

The Poker has to be the best of the Deathbird weapons. I had made an Int/Fth necromancer and thought about doing something cheeky like putting Int scaling on an erdsteel dagger or Fth scaling on the clayman's harpoon but as soon as I got the poker it turned into another greatsword bonk build, albeit with a few magic tricks like Rancorcall for stagger and roll catching.

the poker is really, really good. it's arts are incredibly useful against almost all the bosses in the game and for those it's not, you can probably rancorcall/ancient death rancor the poo poo out of them with your elixir.

the field of ghostflame also procs frostbite really well, if you're into that.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

dark souls 2 feels like demon's souls 2 by way of dark souls. dark souls 3 feels like dark souls 2 by way of bloodborne. elden ring feels like dark souls 2 2 by way of dark souls 3.

e: so I guess that makes elden ring demons souls 5.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Node posted:

Elden Ring is more like King's Field 9.

yeah you're right

Perry Mason Jar posted:

You take that back

why? it's a statement of praise

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

also if you're feeling gutsy getting that lets you fight a bird early for my favourite sword in the game

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

I respect that opinion but I just tackled them like a dirty little poo poo who poisoned or shoved everything to death in demon's souls and it was fun and ruled. oh no I'm outnumbered, here, where there are tons of places for things to fall down and die? be a shame if that happened!

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

when in doubt

shoot it out

e: like seriously, my philosophy with these games is that they're full of ways for you to just be a dirty poo poo and get an edge on a ton of encounters that feel unfair and I both think that's great and lean into it time and time again. I get and respect the desire to game with honor and plank and spank your way to victory but that simply couldn't be me because every loving game gives me a poison fog or knock back explosion or heat seeking pest threads or the ability to throw bloodhound step on a bleed/frostbite whip and I just am always going to be an rear end in a top hat to all these bosses. false king allant bullied me once, never again

doomfunk fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 11, 2023

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

yeah, I'm not saying playing that way is bad or wrong or anything, I'm just starting to realize why I seem to think so much of DS2 totally ruled when so many people look down on it. when you've committed to be a greasy little poo poo, it's a great game that will deliver fun encounter puzzles to solve at every turn.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

I used a mimic tear a bit on my death's poker/death spells run and it used the weapon arts drat near constantly. even after its nerf I don't think it ever runs out of FP.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Node posted:

Wait, what the gently caress? You can summon Melina for the Morgott fight? Either I have been missing some trigger to make their summon sign appear, or I've just been running past it each time I play and never notice it.

there's a specific conversation you can't miss.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

War Wizard posted:

Not entirely true. I have a bad habit of trying to have access to all-the-things on a first run and end up being a jack of all trades master of none build. It forces me to learn enemy weaknesses just to manage and some of the later bosses can be absolutely miserable to fight.

Having a major/minor (not min-max) in stats seems to be the way to go.

That said, if anyone still hasn't played with the sword of night and flame I totally suggest trying it out sometime. Its triple damage type might hit 3 defenses but in many cases enemies will be weak to one of them and make up for it.

if you are building for the sword of night and flame, you may as well also fully cap out the golden order seal and the prince of death's staff and go for a very potent omnicaster. it's what I did for three playthroughs, and it's actually quite effective. ancient death rancor may not be the spirit bomb that people are quite fond of, but it basically doesn't miss and does a ton of work.

I used deaths poker instead of the sword of night and flame in the end, but the sword is not bad.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

sure, I mean, my experiences were at launch as a first character but I am nothing if not foolishly persistent.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

if it's fun, do it

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Node posted:

Speaking of crows, does anyone here ever bother going into melee with the bloody crows? That is one enemy that over multiple playthroughs I just cannot get a feel for. They scare me and they hurt a lot. I'd rather fight a laser beam golem inside a phone booth.

if by "melee" you mean "point blank use of poker weapon arts", yes

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

if I hadn't gone east first I wouldn't have become a death bird addict. I can't say whether that's good or bad.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

theories like that don't really hold when the cinematic introduction of the character in question is very explicitly not that thing.

which is a shame because I do really like that line of thinking and think everything about the game except that particular fight supports it.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

powerstancing in ER is basically automatic for same type weapons and it rules. it's so good.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

ghostflame explosion and ancient call of rancor are quite good and also good reasons to play int/fth. as is being able to cast basically anything with your staff and seal. scaling on them is such that going deep into/fth will have you wrecking house.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

frost jars do serious work on her. I found them more effective than my usual trusty poker field effect.
if you bonk her while she's in the air it cancels waterfowl dance, even.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

there are so, so many good spells in ER. people mostly talk about a few but I gave them all a fair crack over my playthroughs and only a very few felt questionably useful.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

my corollary is the all-casting int/fth build, but we are different people and not everyone is as addicted to spamming ancient call of rancor

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

it did rock solid damage for me with the prince of death's staff from the moment I got it, but I guess for some the metric of comparison will always be comet azur, which it is not. basically doesn't ever miss, though.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

yeah it rules to be like "oh I wonder if these magma spells from volcano Manor are any good?" and very quickly find out that no, they are of specific and dubious utility at best. rykard's rancor aside, it's pretty good against the big boys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

even being heavily statted into int/fth I still used death's poker in my first new game cycle. the sword of night and flame is nice and all but you don't need to feel like it's your only option, right?