Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
My impression is that the story is going to be much more in the vein of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls II and Sekiro, with a direct antagonist, rather than fighting an uncaring and dying world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

K8.0 posted:

It's not about the aesthetics, from does a great job of doing a western aesthetic. It's that the visuals are objectively bad and totally out of date, and not in a stylized way that could be cool. It's not just in terms of poly count and texture res either, look at the big dudes pulling the coach in the trailer. Their heads are totally non-animated, all their hair and poo poo is very plainly just part of a static "head" model and even that isn't flexing relative to the body at all. That's probably the most egregious example, but even in the "better" areas the animation honestly looks like complete rear end for the most part, it's more like an early 360 era title than even a PS4 game. From doesn't seem capable of moving forward at all from where they were with Demons Souls other than adding in a few polygons and a bit higher res textures. There really isn't an excuse for this, while not everyone is always at the bleeding edge, there's no one else making $60 games that has adapted this little. Madden shows more visual improvement FFS.

- this is a foul note

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I can parry DS1 Black and Silver Knights, but I can't seem to parry DS3 Lothric Knights for poo poo.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

JBP posted:

I'm kind of hoping the central tree thing and the world itself is designed in such a way that you can navigate by landmarks without needing anything else. I'm not sure how, but Miyazaki said they're going to guide you along the mainline path. I'd like to see them do it in an unobtrusive and interesting way if possible.

I really enjoyed playing tsushima with the map and stuff all switched off just using the wind to guide me for example.

While Dark Souls 1 stands out for its cool interconnected world, it's not actually great for putting down landmarks for you to navigate by. Like it's not immediately obvious that the first Bell is right above Firelink Shrine, or that the Wyvern Bridge is above the Undead Burg bonfire. Sure you realize it eventually, but it takes a while. The lighting engine just doesn't sell it. And when you start heading down, to Blight Town, or New Londo, or Valley of the Drakes, you very quickly lose any sense of the landmarks. You know intellectually where things are, but there's no gut intuition.

Bloodborne is much better at it, most of the city areas take place around the Great Bridge, and you almost always have the Grand Cathedral to navigate around.

Hopefully Elden Ring shows how much better they are at getting a sense of place. And with BotW as an inspiration, and much better tech and draw distances, they could pull it off.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://www.frontlinejp.net/2021/06/17/elden-ring-director-interview-part-2-miyazaki-discusses-the-gameplay/

Something from this interview that caught my eye:

quote:

Miyazaki is asked about the legacy dungeons, and he says that one can expect more of what was seen in the complex areas of the Dark Souls series. He adds that they in fact now have a larger scale, and new elements like the jump make exploration more fun. The interviewer asks about fall damage, and Miyazaki says that they considered the jump while adjusting fall damage, and it is set low so that the player does not feel stress during exploration. Additionally, they have made it so that things like attacks do not result in unfair-feeling falls off platforms. Going back to the legacy dungeons, Miyazaki says that there are six such “maximum-scale” dungeons.

This actually killed or hosed me over or inconvenienced me many, many times. I normally treat that as a typical part of brutal Fromsoft level design: hazardous terrain is hazardous because it limits what you can do to respond to enemies, and it's your fault for using high momentum attacks. This is actually a huge shift in power towards the player.

In general I find DS1's levels much more difficult to navigate and fight in compared to the other later soulsborne games, alot more death pits without OSHA railings.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I feel like if an enemy hits me sufficiently hard on a platform then I 100% deserve to be flung straight off that platform to my painful demise.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
How many of you fuckers have been kicked off by that big skeleton hiding behind the archer, or got punted off that ledge by the mallet hag?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

IronicDongz posted:

same except also if I press r1 near and facing the edge I deserve to fall off

The From likes to hang treasure next to a ledge, and oops if you're just too close you slip and fall. Getting that Saw Spear is annoying as gently caress. It won't kill you outright, but it feels bad that your character is dumb enough to deliberately step off a ledge when they hit the things. It's the bad kind of loss of control. It's very arbitrary with other game actions: throwing firebombs has forward momentum, but not throwing prism stones.

codo27 posted:

Sen's fortress isn't hard

bitch i can deathless sens

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
That pathetic fucker who get baited into exposing his stubby widdle head for you to beat down deserves no respect. And neither do I for dying to him, twice.

Absolutely humiliating.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I've grown to really like Midir and Defiled Amygdala, they're big beast bosses that instead of gluing yourself to a blindspot by their butt, you face them head on. Play their game and they become so much less unpredictable. It turns into a back and forth dance. One of my favorite things about Phase 2 Amy, when they start using that scary arcane palm slams that leaves a deadly lingering hitbox, you can position yourself in a safe zone that is scarily close to their left hand, giving you ample opportunity to charge in and strike their weakspot.

But Midir final phase is much more fun than Phase 3 Amy, which is a tedious chore.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Ludwig is an excellent fight, even if your ultimate goal is to get around his sides and break his limbs, Ludwig has lots of little tricks to dislodge you from your comfy position. Lots of thrashes and swipes that reach around and away from him, forcing side and back dodges.

But this slightly degenerate strategy shows itself in phase 2. In spite of Ludwig's magnificence and majesty, he still holds his arms in front of him, so when he does his scary sword flash or sword stab, being around his back is much safer. His side swipes are easy to dodge.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yeah the fact you're no longer facing Amy head on makes it a chore. And hope you bought a weapon with a vertical swing arc.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Halfway through Sekiro, and what I'm actually most interested in is seeing all the nutso animations that Fromsoft is working on. Ever since Bloodborne, I gotta say, their animators have been knocking it out of the park with weird and inventive animations.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Miyazaki writing style is to make everyone extremely vague and open to interpretation, while Martin tends to get bogged down by details and then fail to deliver when he realizes he can't line up all his balls in a row. So Miyazaki is using Martin as a selling point, getting a few cool high fantasy ideas out of him, and then riffing off that. Miyazaki has total creative control.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
You will absolutely and regularly invade solo hosts in DS3. And when you get embered after a boss fight, you will absolutely get invaded. I can't count the number of times I wander into say Undead Settlement or Cathedral or Carthus and just have a blast shutting down a single invader.

Having this scenario available is great pvp practice. When learning how to fight, I don't want to exclusively go up against gank squads, that's really discouraging. And as a matter of variety, I want a mixture of different invasions, from 1v1s at the bonfire, to ambushes against the invader and the world, to furious chases across the world, to full on dried finger worlds.

I hope they modify this.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Bowblade is viable in the sense that Bloodborne enemies are as bad at responding to ranged attacks as Nameless King and lack shields to block ranged attacks.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
And we all know Breath of the Wild is the Dark Souls of Zeldas

I ain't kidding, the game literally forces you into a variety of movesets and the game can be punishingly difficult early on.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

lih posted:

-you can regain some health from defeating enemies in some way so you're not as limited by the estus equivalent

It's actually my opinion that early game exploration in DS3 and Sekiro is punishingly difficult due to lack of heals forcing you to reset and terminating your momentum. Sekiro letting you heal on deathblow is very satisfying to use.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Ninja flipping Havels haven't been a Thing since 2012.

Goons have come a long way since the old days on this board of "PYF griefing story". loving with, or getting hosed by other players is a magical part of the Dark Souls experience. The game is so freeform for it, there are so many tools, from deadly traps to great arrows to plunging attacks to hidden body/chameleon for cool little stories to happen and the players to generate Content. I want, nay, need that dopamine injection to happen.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I hope goons don't level their health so I can one-shot them!!!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
BTW, I want invasions of solo hosts for the simple reason that the game is liveliest when you have a large variety in player skill all trying their hands at invasions. I want them to have an incentive. I want bad invaders who can occasionally get a kill against even newer players attempt to invade me and get shut down. I want to invade with a fresh character that I have little experience with their moveset and still feel like I have a good chance if I hit a solo host.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Sekiro dodge has like no iframes so it's only ever for repositioning against grabs and some annoying attacks that have their posture weighted against you.

And Sekiro has two shields: the loaded umbrella, and your sword. The first can trivialize some moves but costs quicksilver bullets. The latter is plenty strong against most moves, but only really works when you tab block in time to the enemy's attacks.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Anyway all Souls games force you into a dynamic balance of offense and defense, calling on you to make the right response to the enemy's move. Enemies only have a brief vulnerability period between their actions, rather than the much longer vulnerability period of other games.

Souls is about good positioning and iframing through enemy attacks, and punishing with a few hits.

Sekiro is much less about positioning, and more about deflecting in rhythm to enemy attacks. You can still punish the enemy, but both aspects of it: the attacking and the deflecting, both effectively bring down the enemy's health.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

EightFlyingCars posted:

playing sekiro made me realize how loving weird it is that the souls games are full of mans with swords but there's no actual swordplay in them

Strangely enough, I find actually hitting enemies with swords more fun in Dark Souls than Sekiro. There's a real tactile response in dealing health damage to the enemy. The sword in Sekiro, outside of deathblows, feels utterly anemic because the real health bar is their posture meter. Hitting them just drains their bar a fraction and slows down their posture recovery.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
If there's something Bloodborne and DS3 and Sekiro have really done with their next gen graphics is make generic wall textures not look like a complete eyesore. Even Bloodborne, with 30fps and some muddy textures, has great normal mapping.

The camera is still oftentimes awful. God I just fought Long Shadow Longswordsman in the prison cell and I couldn't identify half his attacks because the camera would jam itself between me and the wall and aim at someone right on top of me. And Sekiro is actually one of the better cameras in the Soulsborne series, because it makes alot of environmental objects turn transparent when the camera clips through them. I just hope they do the same with the rest of the geometry.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Alot of the heavy armors suck rear end. In fact, the fat armors, that raise the positions of your arms, increase your hitbox. But Dark Souls 3 is really good for medium to medium-heavy weight armor sets, where you can easily hit the 70% threshold. It's really hard to get to the 30% threshold for longrolls, and the damage absorption of light armors feels noticably more dangerous than mediums. A shame, because some of the light armors look gorgeous.

What's I'm trying to say is that sitting around 50-70% equipload feels great, you have fast rolls and excellent absorption. But it feels really bad around 30-40% equipload, where it's really hard to get under the 30% cap, and your absorption feels inferior. Once again Bloodborne is superior. Yes the hoborags have the best stats in the game, but nothing else feels noticably inferior and you can still mix and match on what set you think looks best.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

bop bop perano posted:

The Elden Ring Twitter account just posted this screenshot which I don’t think they’ve posted yet

Man this guy gets around and really likes to gently caress up knights. Now I want to make a cosplay of some guy in Griffon mask and pajamas. You could probably pull it off in DS3 with Mace, Exile Mask and Antiquated Plain Garb.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
If I shaved my head and put on full body zombie makeup I could probably do a Dark Souls 1 speedrunner cosplay irl.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
getting invaded by a guy 2-handing a mace or a reinforced club is legitimately more terrifying than someone in full havels holding a fume knight ultra greatsword

mace/flail guy knows how to fight

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Patches kicks, he doesn't break your skull with a flail.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I just recently learnt that Lothric War Banner makes Friede go apeshit. It's not so much a deliberately programmed agro mechanic, but the AoE around the LWB gets registered by the Friede AI as a threat and makes her spam quicksteps. And in phase 3, when she goes invisible she will instantly initiate the 3rd Black Serpent attack.

That made the fight significantly harder than it should have been.

E: wrong thread, but I guarantee the same kinds of bugs are gonna be replicated in Elden Ring.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Stealth in DS3 was already insanely overpowered with completely breaking enemy AI and 1hko backstabs.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
lmao gently caress the elder scrolls 5 skyrim came out 2 months after dark souls

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
You know what I'm going to miss now that Dark Souls 4 has a jump button? Lots of obscure little shortcuts and jumps off weird bits of level geometry will effectively be telegraphed. Like the spiral stairs jump on the path to O&S, or the tree jump to the roof of Firelink, or the jump onto the roof of the Corvian settlement. Or that jump near the first Adjudicator in Ringed City.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
People were freaking out about NuGoW having reused animations, which is a studio with an even larger budget than FROM.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
FROM world designs are already brutally difficult if you don't try and break apart enemy formations and control the crowds and face only a few at a time, and that's what stealth is for.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'll probably play Quality first because it should give us the biggest roster of toys to start off with.

Starting off Faith is going to make the game more difficult than it would otherwise. Faith tends to be mediocre at casting direct damage spells, instead it's far better as support using powerful and flexible weapon buffs, heals, and body buffs. It took until the second DS3 DLC for faith damage to become strong, when you stack Rose of Ariandel and Lothric War Banner weapon arts.

I have an insane SL60 invasion build that routinely one-shots enemy phantoms with buffed poise-cast Sunlight Spears, in massive megatrades where they hit me once and I kill them in return. And it's hardly a glass cannon, it just lacks long term staying power.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Dex weapons have superior damage per second and damage per stamina than others ya know. Sellswords are called winblades for a reason.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Cowcaster posted:

this guy just wants to run around with a mall katana

sellsword twinblades are obscenely strong pve and pretty decent pvp

katanas are mediocre at pve. and their only good move pvp is the running attack poke

there's a really dumb dichotomy between str and dex in this game series, some people like to characterize str builds as cool and strong, and in return others characterize them as dumb and mindless, when in reality the playstyle isn't that divergent and the main difference is in the DPS and the poise damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
im going to watch it and post about it and you cant stop me