Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I wonder what the swamp area will be like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Love this Smough-looking dude

try getting the lordvessel now, you little hollow poo poo

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Elden Ring is the Dark Souls of open world games

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

nah enough of that cringy weeb poo poo, gimme dat turtle behind shield chad action

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Sekiro's parrying quickly becomes trivial when you realize you can just spam L1 to parry everything with no timing needed

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Otogi :colbert:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

DS2 PC was a very good port and ran extremely well for its time with a lot of mod capability.

Elden Ring itself sounds like it gets a lot of ideas from DS2, of which SOTFS was one of my favorite ever games so I am very much looking forward to this.

DS2 may have been the black sheep in the eyes of many, but for me it's one of the top tier souls games once it got fleshed out more. The build and gear variety is immense, and the multiplayer systems (small soapstone and regular soapstone needs to come back) is the best of the bunch with a decent and tangible reward structure (such as trading smooth stones for legitimately useful crafting items and equipment)

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Pft, if you can't handle Sen's Fortress at its worst, you don't deserve Elden Ring at its best

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Is GRRM even mentioned on the current materials

The steam page has zero mention of him

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

The npcs and bosses all have history and backstory. GRRM wrote all of that.

I kinda have to question the depth of that, he admitted he hasn't done any work on Elden Ring in years. He even went so far as to confuse it for a direct Dark Souls sequel.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

codo27 posted:

Its hard not to get carried away with this. I firmly believed that Skyrim would be the greatest game ever made, but was yet another massive step back in that franchise.

But, this is FROM. We're really onto something here I'm sure.

Let's just keep the hype in check here, even the best developers can unwittingly fall short once in a while.
It's From's first shot at open-world and there's a chance it could end up being the wrong direction for their soulsborne line. Open worlds inherently has a lot of compromises.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

CYBEReris posted:

daggerfall was real loving cool for the time but it pays for its ambition with some absolutely game-breaking issues, more common and worse than a lot of the stuff in the modern games

Bethesda was bethesda before it was cool.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

To be honest that just sounds like they had to compromise to get it to fit within the limitations of the hardware of the day. Bethesda had to get it running on 360 as a launch title. There's a city in the game that's got a bit more foliage compared to the other cities (Cheydinhal I think?), and it noticeably runs like a dog. I remember the framedrops vividly. Getting dense foliage to run well back then would have been a fool's errand.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 8, 2022

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

skasion posted:

Yes, people at the time were very excited about how the game was being ruined by console needs right at a time when PC graphics were getting very exciting. Oblivion came out the year before Crysis lol

Oblivion still looked heads and shoulders above everything else, just by virtue of being the first title of a new generation.

Crysis may have been a year later but the hardware to run it well literally didn't exist. We had to wait for something like the geforce gtx 470 to finally run it above 30fps at high settings and that was not for another three years!

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Ichabod Tane posted:

gently caress yes, i've been waiting for a new Armored Core.

As a pre-teen / teenager who played a lot of King's Field and Armored Core -- I need this. Funny thing, I didn't know From made both of those games and so when goons introduced me to demon souls by pointing out that they were the same company that made King's Field, I was blown away.

When I found out they made all three of these games my mind got blown.

From also made the rather excellent Otogi on Xbox. They have been making extremely good games for years

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

Its been rumored that From would revisit Armored Core since DS3 came out and they made a big stink about it being the "last dark souls". I never played Armored Core but I would be interested in seeing how modern From handles it.

Armored Core on the PS1 is a classic, it's the game that first gave me customization brainworms. Most of the other third person shooters of the day were incredibly shallow and lacked depth, but AC was the first to give the player a lot of choice in their loadout and playstyles, and it helped that the gameplay was really, really loving good. The targetting & controls worked despite the lack of joysticks back then.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

skasion posted:

What? No

I love DS1 but just no

I can't see how that's a controversial take? Everybody thinks DS1 is much better than DeS. Everybody. Because it is.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

:wrong:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

DS2 is good. I really like its multiplayer loop, where you can use small soapstones to get smooth & silky stones, and trade them for actually useful rewards at the birds so you can make all sorts of weapons and builds for different situations even early on in the game. That's sorely missing from 3. I missed the anticipation of successfully helping another player and then beelining to the birds to see what juicy gem they will give me

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

ymgve posted:

There was some stuttering on the PS5 in the network test, but that could just be unfinished code/debug stuff/communicating with statistics servers.

No that's just classic FROM frame-pacing, they can't do steady frames to save their lives. It's been a problem all the way back to their armored core ps1 days. If you want smooth frames either play on PC or play PS4 version backwards-compatible on PS5.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah there was a whole thing with creating bonfires. I thought Zullie the Witch got into it but I cannot find it right now.

Could be illusory wall, they do similar videos

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Back in my day I fisted the vanguard demon

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I used to be convinced the catacombs was actually the first 'level' just because I somehow gnashed my teeth into getting to pinwheel and he was incredibly easy, along with unlocking the ritual of kindling, something I thought made sense as an earlygame reward. Congrats, you unlocked more estus, now you can push further into other areas of the game. That was the train of thought I had.

So naturally I pushed into new londo next, then fell down a hole. I recall putting the game down out of sheer frustration until I finally discovered undead burg half a year later, when the PC version came out. I was a dumbass back then

If you see excessive handholding and objective markers in games, it's because of people like me :smith:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

hatty posted:

Are network tests usually indicative of release performance? I wouldn’t think so

iirc DS2 network test ran with the lighting engine that got gutted before final release

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

le le le le le lelelelele lele le le le le lele

le le

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Communist Thoughts posted:

all the beast bosses are great as long as they dont have the "charge through you with a 3x as large hitbox" attack

Ah yes, the Plesioth special

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Sum Gai posted:

I don't know that it's that, either- it's a last gen game that has a next gen upgrade, but given that last gen included, like, Red Dead Redemption 2, the visuals are more down to technical know-how/budget than hardware.

RDR2 had an insane budget and thousands of individuals working on the project though, same for Last of Us 2. Those two games are extreme outliers and not representative of typical gamedev imo

While I don't feel Elden Ring looks bad at all, I think a lot of people were sympathizing with Miyazaki when he said he felt certain pressure from seeing how good nudes looked.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I can believe that. It's a serious, serious security flaw and I've read elsewhere that not doing anything about it could be a legal liability

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

power stance

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Turns out the ring was you, all along

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

There is no labour shortage there is a shortage of employers willing to pay people what they deserve, combined with an abysmal lack of workers rights

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

giZm posted:

Lowly times these are...

lol if we actually have to use m/kb on pc

I'm sure it'll be filled out on release

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

giZm posted:

Online PVP and Coop have been removed from the others. You goof.

:eng99:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Physical copies are bad for the environment and you should feel bad

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

game bad

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

The gutter sucks and not even in an oh-miyazaki-you-cad kinda way. DS2 has some lows like that.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Demon's Souls had really nice easy-going music imo, the nexus and the nexus theme towards the end of the game are both good
Dark Souls had a couple of bangers, nito and gwyn's music for example
Dark Souls 2 has the series peak in its majula theme

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

hatty posted:

DS2 has that weird quirk where the combat feels bad

ADP baffles me to this day, a literal stat governing iframes on your roll

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

The very last canonical fight of dark souls is literally two losers fighting over paint in a dead world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

cool av posted:

Elden Ring