Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

I have little to no familiarity with this game even with it basically only just being announced but I have no idea how the Game of Thrones guy figures into this. He wrote it? It just looks like more Dark Souls, which to be fair is enough to be worth picking up, but still.

Seems to my untrained eye to be heavily inspired by Irish/Celtic mythology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

JBP posted:

Parrying by firing a blunderbuss at point blank range into someone's face will always be the superior form of parry.

I never got it right in bloodborne, try to parry an attack, miss, not sure if you had the timing wrong or if the attack couldn't be parried.

Sekiro did it so much better.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

AnEdgelord posted:

I like the combat system but the camera is way WAY too close to Kratos. So much so that they had to include distracting arrows that point out when someone is behind you

The close camera perspective also means enemies have to be programmed to almost ignore you as soon as your back is turned towards them.

I think maybe batman and spiderman would be a good third person combat game? They're doing very different things off course.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

RatHat posted:

So any news on when the network test codes will go out?

Supposedly today

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Apparently people have been putting up gameplay videos.

Here's Dan Ryckert, formerly from Giant Bomb, trying to kill a boss for half an hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qeGTjv-PRg

Vaatividya
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9DWTt37khU

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

huh posted:

Check out the first 11 minutes of this vid to see how op magic seems to be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOOmpdKGGHU

Hasn't magic been overpowerd in every souls game?

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Been playing on PS5, there are very notable frame rate drops in outside areas. It's also clearly a cross gen game in the worst ways, Demon's souls looks much better while running smoother at the same time.

Not sure how many of the controller features it will use, currently they aren't enabled.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Frankston posted:

Wait, you can get married in 3?

There is a questline involving Anri of Astoria that you need to complete to get the Usurpation of fire ending. You sort of get married.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Harrow posted:

That's not at all unusual for these games. To this day, only 68.61% of players have beaten Cleric Beast and 65.7% of players have beaten Father Gascoigne in Bloodborne according to PSN trophy data.

you can't really compare those, since BB has been a ps+ game. Lots of people will have installed it to check it out and quit before they even came close to the cleric beast.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

JBP posted:

I actually can't believe the performance improvement on ps5. I thought it had to have been a placebo but the pop in is definitely reduced to almost nothing and the game feels a lot smoother overall. Weirdly enough I got hit with some bad frames in a dungeon tonight, which I don't recall seeing in 100+ hours of gameplay before, but the overworld is definitely better.

Hm, now that you mentioned it, I haven't noticed the previously awful pop in anymore. It was mostly an issue in Limgrave, so I'll have to go and check. Framerate is harder for me to tell, but the game has definitely improved over time.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Primetime posted:

After finishing up all of the Steam achievements for Elden Ring, I decided to retry Dark Souls 3 since it was the only Soulsborne game I didn't finish. Specifically, I remember putting it down because it felt so much harder than DS1/2 that it wasn't actually fun to play.

Despite being the more "accessible" and mainstream game, it's wild how much more difficult Elden Ring's combat is relative to the previous games in the series. I don't think I died to any DS3 boss more than 2-3 times (except Sulyvan which is probably the closest thing to an ER boss), and I breezed through the whole thing in one weekend. It's really jarring how much worse the DS3 enemies are at tracking you through swings, and how much time you get to heal up between attacks.

Really I'm curious how much harder they can possibly make the Elden Ring DLCs (and any future games). A few years ago I would have said DS3 was the peak of that particular combat system, and now it looks quaint in comparison. Maybe at some point Malenia will look like a joke too.

And really, for anyone who is playing Elden Ring as their first FromSoft game, it's definitely still worth playing the older DS games but it certainly won't be the same 'git gud' experience it was sold as years ago.

Did you do the optional bosses as well? Nameless king is one of the hardest bosses they ever made in my memories.

And Sister Friede, and Gundyr 2.0

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

hazardousmouse posted:

Holy moly I don't know what the gently caress. I went in to mohg totally unprepared, even forgot to set the special physick, just wanted to see how my build would do. Me and mimic chumped the gently caress out of him, was totally unfair.

Literally every fight became easy once you use the mimic tear. I'm not particularly good at these games and I beat Malenia (supposedly the hardest fight in the game?) in under 10 tries with the mimic tear.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

No Dignity posted:

Saw a Saint Riot video the other day where he one-shot a host in a late-game area with 280 damage, literally negative from starting health O_O

I did some pvp in elden ring for the first time and I so far I have 2-shot so many people with my Moonveil weapon art. I'm not using a build that is tailored for pvp at all, most of my talismans are of no help. Some people just really don't like putting points in vigor.

I have a friend who doesn't usually play From Soft games and he's about to enter Raya Lucaria academy and he hasn't levelled vigor yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
https://twitter.com/YasuhiroKitao/status/1630478153209774080

I guess this is it?