Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Playing as a samurai on PS4.

Just got past Margit at around level 27 only took me three tries with the help of a ghost jellyfish.

I bashed my head against the troll at the gate a dozen times before I backed down and got the blood Ashes of War from the knight in fort Height which makes everything so much easier and let me Clown on the troll easily.

Currently fighting through Sword Eagles and knights Inside the actual castle.

Did a bit of a wacky sidetrack adventure in the creepy blood swamp in Caelid after a random chest teleported me there.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Godrick the Grafted isn't a nice man so I distracted him with a jellyfish and slashed his rear end from behind.

also I just, at level 33, figured out how to unequip the shield I haven't used at all.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Wow bloody Slash as samurai trivialises like half the enemies in the (early) game.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Blessed are the Jars for they shall inherit the Earth.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The True Lands Between were the friends we made along the way.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I thought the Demi-Humans were literally Orcs until I fought the chiefs and saw the actual name of the species. They're still functionally Orcs.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Found a big dragon.

Hit it's tail until it died.

Easiest boss in the game though very terrifying when I first saw it and realised that big hill wasn't a hill.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Did that poor defenseless thing have a really tragic backstory that can only be learned by reading item descriptions?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Benagain posted:

It's a mom with a terminal disease surrounded by her children

You killed a hospice patient basically.

Wow I'm so heroic.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

verbal enema posted:

this game is p good

agreed

I like the part where a really big guy swings at you wildly and you need to get out of his way to not get hurt.

Also the stabbing

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Next playthrough I'm going to play as a wizard because I assume that's basically the opposite of my current very aggressive samurai bleed build.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

kecske posted:

until you get to the dragon burnt ruins chest and step over all the warnings because pff who's going to fall for that again

That one was quite a ride.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Some guy in Lurnia is trying to convince me the horrible Eldrich finger monster I'm working for is actually evil. but he seems creepy so I'm not sure his alternative is better. It's probably an even freakier toe monster or something

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think the bosses are too small. Everyone of them should be at least three times bigger.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Spent probably half an hour running across rooftops in Raya Lucaria dying to the same explosive crossbow dude almost every time. Then I found out he wasn't even guarding the way forward just some random staff I have no use for.

The actual correct path was a lot more obtuse but far easier.

Then after a couple of tries on the boss, almost getting her on the second try until she threw a moon at me, after that I didn't feel like making the trek all the way back so I hosed off back to Limgrave, finally killed the lake dragon, met patches, killed a few giant bears, and then nipped over to Caelid to see if it was still as nightmarishly hard as when I first warped there against my will. It wasn't but still not easy.

Led a herd of giant dogs into a siege camp and climbed the siege tower and watched as the monsters tore through a bunch of soldiers before being put down netting me a few thousand free runes.

And to think I was worried I couldn't get into this game when I first started playing.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Stumbled into a random mine, fought some tiny guerrillas and miners, then a magma breathing dragon, and then took a lift to someplace totally new called Altus Plateau.

Died to a much scarier and bigger dragon right by the Gracepoint.

Used all the stones I got in the mines to get my Katana up to 14+.

Which I think is good for level 59 but I have no idea.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Godrick being a largely irrelevant failson distantly related to actually notable people is a nice touch.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 7, 2023

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

How do I actually use spells?

Bought a healing spell from the round table hold priest and equipped it but it has a line across it no matter what

Also is it me or do low level enemies like nobles and Demi-Humans actually get scared of you at higher levels?

Because I remember Demi-Humans being very aggressive back in Limgrave but I ran into some in Lurnia at level 50 something and they were running away and cowering. I also think I saw a torch dude run away from me after I killed his buddies

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 4, 2023

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like the jars.

I hope they get their own DLC with q playable Jar class.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just entered the capital and drat that dead petrified dragon is like three times bigger than the elderly paraplegic dragon I brutally murdered in Cælid. And that one was the size of a castle.

I like the weird horn playing blob creatures.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

He's a creep but I think he raises a good point about how the strange hairy finger monster may not be legit.

He has yet to supply an alternative though.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That sounds like a good time.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just dudes being bros.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm like 30 hours in in offline can I switch to online or do I need to start a new game?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

How do I start Rannis questline?

I was told I could find her in her tower but there is no-one there.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

MajorBonnet posted:

Do you have the Radahn festival going? Wiki says she won't be there if so and you have to finish it first.

Edit: it will start on its own if you've been to Altus or activated the Dectus lift

That explains it.

I accidentally entered Altus through some tunnel where I fought a Magma Wyrm

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like the two skeletal militia dudes. They don't hit very hard but like all skeletons they resurrect after every death unless their bones are hit mid-res so theoretically they have infinite HP.

Not very good against bosses with frequent and large aoe attacks though.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Doomykins posted:

I like to summon the +10 Nobles 5-pack and say "get 'em boys" even though their job is literally to be a useless distraction. It's funny if they all swing and tunnel the target though, the sheer number of hits annihilates poise.

Those guys are adorable.

They're basically a undead slapstick troupe.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

She is very demonstrably Not Dead after the fight

She's just really tuckered out.

Godrick, being only distantly divine, is probably dead or maybe just shriveled up into a Manlet (godlet?)

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 9, 2023

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like the really big petrified dragon in the capital which is at least three times bigger than the biggest dragon in the game and that dragon is stupidly huge and ten times bigger than the younger dragons.

I took the giant skeletons in Caelid to be remains of whatever race ruled there before the whole mushrooms and rot phase. Presumably thousands of years ago.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I still don't understand how the stones work other than bigger number better.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just defeated Starscourge Radhan on the first try without much difficulty. Despite having heard he's pretty hard.

Am I overleveled?

I'm level 85.

45 vigor
16 Mind
23 Endurance
26 Strength
35 Dexterity
9 Intelligence
8 Faith
22 Arcane

Using dual bleed katanas and wearing the Spooky skeleton burial armour.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think I've been playing too much.

Tonight I dreamt I was playing Elden Ring in a level that was a claustrophobic city covered in canals and beneath every canal was another layer of city with different enemies, mostly hand monsters but clawed and with an entire arm as a tail. With the boss being in a wooden fort on top behind a fog gate locked with the "Phopal Gal" medallion.

I like that my mind was just making up nonsense but it was very much in the spirit of the actual game.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Elemer of the Briar isn't a very nice man.

I've died to him probably a dozen times now.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

SlimGoodbody posted:

He took me several tries as well. Good luck, skeleton.

This worked like a charm.

Then I went to the capital and after running around like an idot for a bit I climbed the gargantuan dragon and stumbled into a golden ghost which killed me on the first try but I summoned a mimic on take two and took him down very easily.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

repugnant posted:

I know some people like to criticize the name choices (Melina, Malenia, etc) but on this play through I found a guy in an evergaol called "Godefroy the Grafted". Stuff like that makes me question how seriously I should be taking this grimdark fantasy hell scape. Is it supposed to be tongue-in-cheek?

I'm assuming a lot of similar names are G.R.R. Martin's sole contribution.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

War of the Roses would've been much better if they'd all had grandiose titles like "Edward the Cosmic Butcher","Henry, Serpentine Zealot" or "Richard Warwick the Kingmaker".

All of which would of course only be elaborated on in item descriptions.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Angry Diplomat posted:

If you go Chaos you get to have a cool fire for a head and look at some cool fire, because the world is on fire (and it is cool looking). If you go Ranni you get to take your nebulously corporeal Welsh wife on a honeymoon into space. So really it's just a matter of preference

Both sound pretty neat

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

John Murdoch posted:

Edit: Also I fibbed earlier because I remembered the one bad part of Raya Lucaria, the platforming across the rooftops and belltower stuff. That was pretty bad and to hell with any alternate paths that require A) extensive platforming and B) split off in such a way where you have to make multiple trips. I did one jaunt across the ones in Leyndell and then said to hell with it.

I died about a dozen times on that one before figuring out it was an entirely optional side thing with little benefit to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Morgott was a pushover compared to Margit. With the shackles and some ghost wolves I got him on the second try.

The fact that I'm 60+ levels higher and actually know how to play the game now obviously had nothing to do with it.