Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh, majestic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I really liked the Song of Ice and Fire books but I've long accepted they're not gonna finish and moved on. People need to stop stewing in years of resentment turning them into weird hate-goblins.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

I would be mad if From DIDN’T make it crossgen. Everyone alive deserves to have access to their games. Regardless of financial ability/discord or Twitter stalking to get a new one capability. I don’t have a doubt that the game will take full advantage of the New gen hardware while also running on old consoles. If it was Ubisoft or some other dev who would just get lazy I’d be worried, but From ain’t that. They will do it right. Everyone will get access to it. That’s good.

Me too. I don't know if I'll even have a PS5 by the time it comes out so I'm glad to be able to keep on truckin on PS4 for now.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

K8.0 posted:

It's not about the aesthetics, from does a great job of doing a western aesthetic. It's that the visuals are objectively bad and totally out of date, and not in a stylized way that could be cool. It's not just in terms of poly count and texture res either, look at the big dudes pulling the coach in the trailer. Their heads are totally non-animated, all their hair and poo poo is very plainly just part of a static "head" model and even that isn't flexing relative to the body at all. That's probably the most egregious example, but even in the "better" areas the animation honestly looks like complete rear end for the most part, it's more like an early 360 era title than even a PS4 game. From doesn't seem capable of moving forward at all from where they were with Demons Souls other than adding in a few polygons and a bit higher res textures. There really isn't an excuse for this, while not everyone is always at the bleeding edge, there's no one else making $60 games that has adapted this little. Madden shows more visual improvement FFS.

ugh imagine living like this

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

VideoGames posted:

In every from game spears guys, dogs and arrow guys gave me trouble. Sekiro gave me shurikens to defeat dogs and Mikiri to defeat spear guys.

I laughed my way through. They would never hurt me again.

This just in, Elden Ring will allow you to catch and return arrows

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hydras are scary.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Dying over and over again and getting lost

well.... about that

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah each enemy that has multiple perilous attacks makes it incredibly clear which one they're about to use. Yeah you might get hit the first few times but that's part of the learning process.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Only just had time tonight to create my character and get a little taste. Found myself thrust out into the world and immediately killed by a horse mounted boss. Cool times I can't wait to dive in properly tomorrow.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Why'd they have to make the worst boss in the game the final boss? What a tedious mess. I beat it but it meant I came away from the end more disappointed than satisfied.

Otherwise this was quite a good game and I enjoyed it more than I was frustrated by it. I think it's a bit too bloated and the copy paste nature of the dungeons and mini bosses got a bit tiresome by the end. But it also has loads of cool areas and great fights. Personally I loved Malenia even though it took me like four days to finally beat her (I got to her at the worst possible time because I was really busy and kept trying her in small chunks way too late in the evenings).

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

A talking coyote posted:

I don’t know who thought spending the entire second half of the last boss trying to close football field lengths of distance WITHOUT torrent to do any damage was a good idea, but I’d like to kick them right in the fuckin nuts.

It would've been really cool to like have Torrent join you in the cutscene transition and everything. Really would've taken that boss from awful to awesome.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The ashes are great when you're being mobbed by two many enemies and I used them like that a lot. But without fail when you bring them out against a solo boss it turns into a joke because they're super tanky and the boss's move set is no longer always targeting you. I brought them out for a few annoying repeat mini bosses I didn't feel like fighting again but they would've trivialized the fun, unique, hard bosses.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It seems to me like the hosed up barely functional albinaurics are first gen, the frogs are second gen, and the humanoid ones are third gen.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

JBP posted:

Is this also how the damage bonus works out? What about a dex scaling weapon in two hands?

2 handing only affects strength

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's unfortunate that some people dislike Malenia. She's absolutely hard, probably gave me the most trouble of any boss in the game. But she's also so much fun. When I finally beat her, my run was so clean it was incredibly satisfying to basically clown on her after literal days of struggle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMBDhfAmPcc

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Snake Maze posted:

In my experience if you're using 2+ normal weapons it's pretty easy to stall out in the [7]s and be stuck until you can get the final bell bearing right near the end.

Yep the game is absolutely bizarrely stingy with the normal upgrade materials. You'll be swimming in more somber stones than you could possibly use and yet still unable to get past 21 on your normal weapons

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

No. 6 posted:

Was trying to recover 86,000 runs and a hostile player showed up and killed me. I just deleted the game and have no interest in this poo poo.

Lol you died to an npc

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm actually sad that it's such a pain to get invaded without summoning. For a while I tried using the tongue but the fact that it reset every time I warped or died meant that I just never got invaded because I would forget to turn it back on. Wish I could have just toggled it to say hey, it's open season over here come on in.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

d0grent posted:

I can't imagine ever running around with that many runes. poo poo, I even specifically save my golden runes for whenever I'm like 70-80% of the way to a level up, and then pop enough golden runes so I can spend all my runes and remove all risk of losing anything.

Well by endgame I was running around with 200k on the reg, but early on yeah. Spend that poo poo as soon as you can.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mr. Crow posted:

my takeaway was that they were different? probably an oversight tbh but you see statues of Marika in Farum with 3? dogs / shadows. We know each empyrean had one and Marika had AT LEAST one, maliketh. The statues could just be the other shadows that were sent to the other Empyreans but I like to think Marika kept a couple good boys for herself.

I don't think maliketh ever explicitly calls out any interactions between you and just calls you tarnished? I don't remember

If you gave Gurranq all the roots then his boss version has extra dialogue bemoaning the fact that he has to kill you now despite your earlier cooperation.

Him still being there waiting for roots if you don't give them all to him before the fight is either an oversight or a concession to players who otherwise would miss out on rewards.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

I will admit to still feeling a bit unsure on Ranni’s ending. It feels really close to the scenario in Bloodborne that led to the Hunter’s Dream. Let us contact/empower/worship a moon themed outer god and it will help us protect our society from other Outer Gods. It seems really clear to me that the Moon in Ranni’s plot line is an Outer God and not the physical moon. There’s the Lunar Altar, various items describe both Ranni and Rennala meeting the moon and gaining guidance/inspiration to create sorceries that manifest the moon itself. Sorcery being the same process as incantation just achieved in a different way (calling upon the energies of greater beings, Sorcery calling upon the stars and such).

I do think it is intended to be a good ending of sorts, but one that is intentionally vague and mildly threatening. The Moon is just, really hard to trust what with the Moon Presence in Bloodborne, and at least one of the Eternal Cities was worshipping the moon.

Yeah but Ranni was nice to me and didn't duck out just because I got mildly possessed by a chaos god for a bit. So I'm down for whatever she's got planned.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

pentyne posted:

Are all the endings just a short 30-40 second FMV or are some more detailed?

Two of the endings are very slightly interesting and the other four are the same exact cutscene with one word and the weather changed.

It's a little disappointing

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

One of several reasons I made sure to finish it first. Its combat is still very fun but it's extremely different.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Radahn was supposed to be an absurd spectacle that you could get an edge on by turning it into the proper festival with the summons. That's exactly how it played out for me pre nerf. I dunno what they did to nerf him but it really didn't seem to me like he needed it. Most of my deaths were figuring out how to safely approach him, once I got there it took me only a few tries.

Maybe he was too difficult solo, idk, but I still know people who managed it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Deified Data posted:

e. people comparing Radahn to other From superbosses kinda ignoring that Radahn is not a superboss in ER, rather than a capstone for the first *half* of the game

Sure but my point is that the summons already served to even the odds. Thematically he's supposed to be a boss who is "too powerful" to be taken on alone at the point you encounter him, which is why can you fight him as part of a grand festival to make it easier.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Vermain posted:

the summons made him categorically harder unless you were doing horse archery, which was primarily because of how absurd some of his attack hitboxes were

doing it solo allowed you to lure him to and fight him on slopes that would at least mitigate that issue, something impossible to do with a swarm of summons that lured him away and clogged up his legs to make moving out of attacks even harder

That was definitely not my experience. The summons distracted him and let me get attacks in. I died once to his meteor and once to attack hitboxes and then beat him.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Vagabong posted:

They should of buffed Nokron instead of nerfing Radhan.

When people talk about his meteor attack, do they mean the one where he jumped up into the sky and shot down as a bid meteor? Because I found you could consistently dodge that by spinning the camera to spot his approach and then riding perpendicular to it.

That's the one that killed me first time. It was very funny cause I had no idea where he went. Afterwards I did just what you described.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sekiro is the perfect game from a gameplay perspective.

Bloodborne is the perfect game from an atmospheric perspective.

Elden Ring is slightly lesser in both regards but still great.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Vagabong posted:

Bloodborne probably has the best twist I've ever seen in any media.

Tis true

lmfao

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Did I miss the reason I ended up in tornado hell with the random damage monsters after igniting the kiln of the first flame?

They definitely could have stood to explain this better. All mention of it comes from well before the actual burning, and from sources other than Melina, the one actually asking you to do it. Basically, if you talk to the finger reader in front of the Lift of Rold she is terrified you're going to unleash Destined Death. Furthermore, if you talk to the reader in the Two Fingers room, she'll further imply that the Erdtree cannot actually be killed without the power of the Rune of Death, also known as Destined Death. And the Rune can only be reached by becoming one with the fire and surviving. Melina echoes this last bit as she lights the flame but doesn't explain what it means. That's why you end up in Faram Azula as that's where the Rune of Death is hidden.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Flytrap posted:

My favorite part about the Explorer class is that it's Just Some rear end in a top hat. No traveling warrior, no storied vagabond with scars caked in battlefield dirt. Just some prick with a habit of sticking their nose where it doesn't belong. The others have swords and shields and spells and miracles

They've got a lovely kitchen knife and lots of shiny rocks they found on the ground. Wish ER had one of those.

Oh you know what I'd really love? A Perfumer starting class. God, can you even find a single perfume cookbook before Atlus Plateau? I really love the armor that you find around the Meteor Staff, but you also find a bottle that it'll take hours to even use.

You can find at least one cookbook but since all perfume recipes require Altus Blooms it's irrelevant

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

What's a cool curved sword to dual wield with Wing of Astel? I mean, short of just having someone help me transfer another Wing of Astel to my Int guy.

Is there one with innate bleed on it?

Scavenger's Curved sword has bleed. There doesn't seem to be another one that scales naturally with int. But if you ask me, you should use the mantis blade and go for a weird insect guy theme.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

"Age of Absolute" as a name for an ending was something dataminers found way earlier in March. There was no actual cutscene associated with it. So unless the cutscene was patched INTO the game with the quest fixes, without actually making it a new added ending, that video is definitely faked.

There's also barely any editing done in that video that implies it would be at all difficult to fake.

And yes also, as others said, Garden of Eyes likes doing one day displaced April Fools jokes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40XGwadi138

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jose posted:

the thing in the beastial sanctum was aggro and attack me so i killed it. did i make a mistake?

The boy stopped attacking and asked you to stop and you just kept right on goin huh?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

eleven extra elephants posted:

Before I waste my time going for the achievements can you still get the collection based ones if you've sold any of them?

I had to mess around with pulling some out of my box inventory to get it to pop, so no if you've sold them I don't think you can get it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

blue squares posted:

How the hell do I get to the part of the map north of the Mausoleum Compound in Luirnia? The map makes it seem like I could go up but there is no path. And lots of messages from others just as confused as me.

The cliff in that area has apparently collapsed. It's one of the few places in the game where they did a sort of "recent events have changed the landscape from what the map indicates" thing. So in world there used to be a path there but it's gone now so you have to go around.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That's not really surprising considering how lame the elden lord endings all are, and how Ranni's quest is so much more interesting.

Admittedly the three quests for the mending runes are interesting to various degrees but they're super disappointing in the actual ending department.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Half-wit posted:

My take: I feel like Melina is an agent of the Three Fingers/The Lord of Frenzied Flame based on the eye tattoo. I'd say, no, burning the Erdtree not in accordance with the Greater Will; definitely in accordance with The Lord of Frenzied Flame.

Uhh that's the one thing she explicitly is NOT lol

E: extremely beaten

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rune arcs are exactly the same as humanity, human effigies, and embers that has existed in every dark souls game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It looks like you're supposed to get that message when Jerren kills Sellen's original body, prompting you to go check on her and get his part of the quest started. But it also seems to be bugged and sometimes the message pops up way later.