Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I’ve been watching Cowboy’s walk through and am pretty sad that hoarfrost stomp got nerfed. What’s the latest and greatest AOE skill?

I’m just starting out but willing to travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Dyz posted:

Butt slam comes early and cheap.

And its a butt slam.

Its next to one of the minor erdtrees in Limgrave.

I am intrigued.

It may indeed be time for rump

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Is Hyetta’s quest bugged? She asked for a finger grape, so I went to kill Vyke and got one, but when I got back to the church she’s not there. I’m so annoyed because it took me forever to fulfill her grapely desires.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The Witcher 3 is probably a mid point between the two extremes. You get a clear goal set by the quest giver, the process of going through the quest gives you the info you need to make The Big Decision, but usually after you make the decision there is a twist which gives you the unexpected outcome, like Dijkstra reveals the whole thing was a setup, or the villagers find the godling, or the crones could have been trusted or whatever.

I think the thing that bugs me is that in most games or in a version where you had more control, you would ask questions like 'what are you going to do if i choose this,' 'why do you want that,' 'who are you,' 'why should I trust you' and 'where can i find you once we're done.' You could get more context.

But again, the fear of the unknown and having to just bite the bullet and face it anyway definitely feels right for a From game.

Yea I much prefer the Witcher 3 style. Having to guess motivations is sometimes fun, but I wouldn’t describe interacting with NPCs in Fromsoft games as being particularly, well, interactive.

With Bloodborne I thought of it as a quirk that reminded me of older games, before mini maps filled with icons and menus filled with quest-tickets.

With Elden Ring it just seems like something is a bit lacking.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

No Dignity posted:

I swear to god some of you guys are perverts... WRPG dialogue trees in a From game? Do you want a voiced Tarnished too? Maybe karma and character rep bars?

I’m just bad at games ok???

But seriously if not for this forum and stuff online in general I have no idea how I’d manage to do these questlines without missing 90% of content

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

LazyMaybe posted:

You'd miss content and be fine with it, having a playthrough that is your own as much through what you did not do as what you did, and leaving more room for further discovery on subsequent runs or when talking to a friend who did things differently from you.

I think you’re probably right but I’m just way too much of a completionist lately to let content just not be discovered. I didn’t mind much with Bloodborne but Elden Ring is so vast that I keep forgetting what quest I was supposed to do.

I think a dialogue log might do it for me as well.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m still loving the game. Just got to the capital and I can’t believe how huge this game is so far.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

I've always been curious how people who want more "narrative" in these games would change them because the only thing anyone else has done is stick more movies in there. God of War 2 is one third the length of Elden Ring but has over 7 hours of cutscenes while Elden Ring has about an hour. I'm here to play a game not watch a movie. Playing the original Dark Souls was a revelation to me because I'd never seen and still haven't seen anyone use the medium like FromSoft has and it kinda ruined video games for me a bit.

Yea GoW 2 felt like such a slog at times due to the cutscenes, and felt like it had been Disney-fied since the last one. Very glad Fromsoft is keeping things simpler.

To be honest I barely watch the boss cutscenes before battles. Probably explains why I don’t really know what’s going on in the story, but then again it didn’t really help me in Bloodborne

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Oh man I accidentally selected cloud save instead of console save and lost a whole week of progress :negative:

I just played last night but all my save data is from Halloween. I don’t suppose there’s a way to fix this, is there?

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I really can’t get enough of these dumbass messages. I might be a child, but every time someone writes “try fingers…” I laugh.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Drain 001 posted:

The Serpent Spear has an AoW? I just spam R1.

Yea same, I didn’t know it did anything else

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I’ve only ever played quality builds with no magic because reasons but now I’m in the market for a ranged magic or incantation I can use in lieu of a crossbow. Any suggestions?

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Thanks, I’ll check those out. I wanted to deal some damage ideally, and have some tracking if it’s slow moving. I’ve seen frenzied burst in action, seems like it would work.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I didn’t realize bloodhound fang was a noob build. Any other suggestions for a one-handed weapon? Bonus points if it has decent reach but is a bit quicker, since I find the fang to be a tad bit slow.

I have a strength build with a bunch of arcane (40?) and play with a shield.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I beat absolutely everything in Fringefolk Hero’s grave but the little pointing statue icon is still superimposed on the cave icon on my map. Is that just a glitch or do I have to do something else to finish it? I beat the boss and got the little blue tendril thing that leads you back to the entrance.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

It's not pointing to the Hero's Grave.

What’s it for? I beat the game already so not worried about spoilers.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

Some catacomb dungeon I think. Look it up on the map on fextralife.

Fextralife map icon looks the same. Weird, guess it’s just supposed to look that way.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

yeah hero graves are a special kind of super-catacomb that get their own icon

Ah I see, makes sense. Thanks, it’s been driving me nuts

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

broke: moving on to the next ng+ because you ran out of somber ancient dragon stones
woke: moving on to the next ng+ because you ran out of larval tears

I gave one to Boc today and it did not feel good. Especially since I didn’t realize you needed to use the prattling pate to get his good ending :(

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Yea I used that massive hammer for a bit, it’s surprisingly fun to just flatten anyone who challenges you.

Might do a mace build at some point.

scary ghost dog posted:

what a waste. you shouldve used it to shift roughly eight levels in or out of endurance, depending on how specialized you feel you need to be

:hmmyes:

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

You can’t parry without a shield, checkmate purists

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

I hate the Shunning-Grounds so much. Such an awful area. It's got every miserable enemy in the game. Lobsters, Omen, even a loving Revenant, and the whole place is a twisting brown soup of double-backs and dead-ends.

Every time I get there, I end up betting the game down for a few days because the prospect of clearing it out makes just... tired.

I actually really like it as one of the most confusing places in the game. I kind of wish they broke it up a bit with some pretty parts (like a big green waterfall of sewage or something) just so that there was something nice to look at. Feels very Last of Us PS3 Brown otherwise.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Similar feeling when I found that flattened… thing at Stormveil.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I don’t know how anyone can complain about the cute little death geckos when there’s a pit with 3 lobsters in it

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I forgot Elden Ring wasn’t a PS exclusive, so used to thinking of these games as being something you can only play with a controller. I can’t imagine playing with a mouse for some reason.

How is parrying with a knife? Is there any benefit to it besides being able to have an extra weapon in your offhand?

a primate fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 26, 2024

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

why would you ever voluntarily use anything but a mouse for a 3D game with a free camera? just throwing away accuracy for no reason

Eh, I’d see your point if it were an fps, but target lock is my best friend

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

control schemes peaked with goldeneye 64

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Insurrectionist posted:

I played the poo poo out of ER for a month when it released until I beat it with a decently high completion%. Since then:

I want to do a new playthrough before DLC to relearn the ropes, what are some good sources for build inspiration? Was STR/FAI first time, want to do DEX/ARC this time around. Does this game still rely on horrible sites like fextralife or fandom to look poo poo up?

I’m doing the same thing, but an INT build for the first time.

You don’t need to look anything up if you don’t want to, but I find Fextralife quite helpful and way better than bloated gaming sites like IGN.

I like this guide for NPC interactions if you forget where people are supposed to be during their quests (spoilers obviously): https://www.reddit.com/r/Eldenring/s/jIf2sMXC12

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

If you have a broken brain like me, you’ll play it once blind, then a second time using a 100% guide because I must consume all content at all costs

Edit: there’s also this monstrosity that someone put together https://www.reddit.com/r/Eldenring/s/sFdcsSqkvL

a primate fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 3, 2024

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

Way to drat with faint praise.

lol

IGN went for the recipe-on-a-food-blog style of advertising bait

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Node posted:

I had so much fun playing Elden Ring! I love to play From Software games. I'm so pleased with the end result! It is the best RPG ever! My insert_relative_here really enjoy it. You will enjoy it too! If you're planning on playing just a little bit, you may want to consider, because once you start, you won't be able to stop. This is really the best game I've found! Please see my other games at the links below. I really enjoying playing this game on my new PC. Read on to find the secret to playing and enjoying totally awesome games like Elden Ring! There are so many other games you can play alongside Elden Ring. Here are a few of my favorites: ....

Infuriatingly accurate :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Go hang out with the abandoned merchant in Siofra, he could use the company