Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Do I want to convert the Uchi to Blood when I apply Bloody Slash! Or leave it normal so I can still use greases?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So how in the hell do you get ANYWHERE North of the minor erdtree in Liurnia East?

I have been around in both directions and can’t figure it out or find a spiritstream.

What am I missing?

For reference I have these graces in the area:

Mausoleum Compound
Ruined Labyrinth
Black Knife Catacombs
Church of Vows

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

didn't realise basalisks were the name for those goofly googly eyed frog fuckheads. I just ran into them doing the rot lake. Kind of adorable really, curse aside.

The googly parts aren’t their eyes. They have a tiny face between the googly parts.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Cowcaster posted:

alas, not in elden ring

Oh they changed them? I haven’t found them in ER yet.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So I still haven't finished a first playthrough, but so far my favorite area is Ruin-Strewn Precipice.

So cool and those singing harpies add SO MUCH atmosphere and there's 3 of them there!

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Perfect Potato posted:

Incantations are fun in how varied, easily accessible, and stupidly broken they can be but the best faith caster is ironically probably just an ARC build with like 22-25 faith. Dragon Communion Seal upgrading with somber stones is a major point in its favor. Best incantations based on my two playthroughs are

Black Flame (easily obtained in Stormveil behind gargoyle door) - fireball with hp % based dot
Frenzied Burst - optic blast sniper rifle that kills from such a distance that you won't even draw aggro
Rot Breath - shaves off half a boss' hitpoints with one fp bar
Dragonice - for mobs and anything immune to rot
Swarm of Flies (requires Varre's quest to access early) - quick cast spell for an instant bleed on anything bleedable, don't even need a weapon with this against fleshies
Lightning Spear - uncharged it's too fast for the game's input reading to handle, useful against anything fire resistant
Flame Strength/Golden Vow/Blackflame Protection - general buffs
Bloodflame Blade - fire damage and bleed on anything enchantable
Divine Lord's Protection - hyper holy protection for the awful final boss
Giantsflame - Big Fireball
Flames of Frenzy - multihit on anything big
Heal - for those awful revenant creatures, mostly for skipping that one bit in Elphael

Quoting so I can find it later.

Also: SkeleSnakeskulls > Wheel Skeletons, Change my mind.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Did I misunderstand the recent Parry chart that was posted?

On a medium shield, Golden Parry is the best option, yes?

And second, tips for fighting Alecto, queen of random hitboxes, as a Moonveil/pure Int Ast?

I managed to parry one move. Dunno if any of the others are parryable. Can’t keep enough distance to cast reliably. Can’t seem to figure out which moves are even blockable because there are several that seem to ignore my shield entirely.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Cowcaster posted:

does anyone remember 20 years ago when there was a mass effect thread and someone did up a little graphics that was like the "mass effect discussion spiral" and all the conversation points just repeated themselves swirling down into the abyss, because if there were one for the elden ring thread there would definitely be something on there like

"i can't defeat [insert boss here] they're the worst designed bullshit from has ever made in their entire history"

"have you tried [literally any mechanic, item, or strategy alternative to the one being used]?"

"no i don't want to"

It's the "stop spending so much on candles" meme, but Elden Ring.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Anyone know how to get to the upper area in Seethewater Cave? In the first large room there’s a wandering train of 6 dudes and some other dudes up on platforms with some items.

Can’t figure out how to get up there.

Edit: n/m it’s way further in. Before you jump down the boss hole.

HaB fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 6, 2022

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So uh..

Should my pure Sorc build with 67 int suddenly feel basically useless when I arrive at Consecrated Snowfields?

Regular dudes I used to one shot take 3 pebbles. Stone imp dudes in the Catacombs take 2 Comets and a Pebble.

It feels like I’m suddenly doing barely any damage.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Eldenring/comments/u2g6gd/let_me_solo_her/

Show that to the people complaining about bosses like Malenia being unfair and forcing you to take damage trades or unavoidable damage

If this is how you are intended to do that boss fight, I’m already bored. 10 minutes is a long boss fight.

That looks boring and tedious as hell.

dodge dodge dodge dodge dodge dodge dodge it there’s the ONE attack I can get ONE hit in after dodge dodge dodge dodge.

For ten minutes? Ew.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

khwarezm posted:

I remember finding the 'Sold-jars of fortune' ashes and being genuinely shocked that a From game had a straightforward joke in it.

If you didn't watch that video of the guy killing every NPC, Alexander's death has another one:

was my whole life.....a crock....?

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Earlier today, someone posted a tier list of YouTube meta builds they had actually tried.

Can’t find it.

Help?

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

HaB posted:

Earlier today, someone posted a tier list of YouTube meta builds they had actually tried.

Can’t find it.

Help?

Found it:

The Anime Liker posted:

I've played with several of them by just scarfing down larval tears at loonie's place and I can give you my honest assessment of all the "OMG THIS GAME IS BROKEN" youtube clickbait builds:

S tier:

- dual twinblades blood crow build (only possible super late game). This really is just beyond the pale in terms of shithousing everyone and everything.

- Rivers of Blood vampire meme build (only possible kinda late game)

A tier:

- super late game Faith Pope build (high fp almost entirely incantation build)

- Frenzied Flame shield build (big fingerprint shield and a lance/rapier for poking)

- bog standard Strength/Faith build that fits your playstyle (the winning combo in all FROM games)

- Rogier clothes / Comet Azur / Carian Retaliation / Wraith bell (fairly easy in semi-early game)

B tier:

- Dex build with bloodhound fang with bloodhound step

- pure strength with roar ash and roar medallion

C tier:

- late game Mohg spear blood build

D tier:

- NG+ dual wielding colossal weapons pure strength (A+ against bosses, but sucks out loud against normal poo poo like birds, dogs, demihumans, most overworld enemies)

- any regular magic build (easy long range mode in all FROM games)

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
If I wanna powerstance twinblades and also be able to hurl fire at things, what’s the build?

Dex/Fth?

Dex/Fth/Arc?

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So I am 80+ hours in, across 2 characters, and have some thoughts.

Overall, it's been a lot of fun, but there are definitely some Soulsborne mechanics that don't translate very well to open world, with the most obvious being NPC quests.

NPCs seemingly having their own agency and moving around regardless of what you might be doing has always been one of the coolest thing in Soulsborne games, but it breaks down in open world for the simple reason that it's perfectly possible to just NEVER find someone, or never notice them standing somewhere. There's already so much going on in the game world that spotting a single human-sized thing across the VAST landscape/horizon/backdrop is tricky.

It's helpful when I travel to a Grace if I just happen to spawn facing the right way, but I have missed plenty of NPCs, and read later where they are and go "really? I didn't see them" only to go back and look, there they are, in a direction I just didn't happen to look.

It was fine in the earlier games since the levels simply aren't THAT big, and there's only so much ground to cover to find someone, but I don't feel like it works for open world.

This is also the first game since DS1 I am not playing blind. WAY too big for that. I tried it, but just ended up wandering around a lot - no real sense of where to go or what to do. Maybe it was analysis paralysis from too many choices - I dunno. Started following the Progress Guide on the wiki and instantly started having a better time.

I can't understand how, after iterating on weapon upgrade systems this many times, that it's once again kind of terrible in this game. Materials are too scarce, and either regular Smithing Stones are too difficult to get, or Somber ones are too easy to get. I can think of one tweak that would at least make it more acceptable, but wouldn't fix it outright: halve the number of Smithing Stones required. Instead of 2-4-6 make it 1-2-3. Boom. Materials won't feel as scarce, at least, and you could be a little more open to experimenting. But again - mind-boggling after this many iterations, they still can't get it right. DS3's felt okay to me. Bloodborne's did as well. DS1's was even okay, since you could specifically farm each color of titanite pretty easily. Demon's was just obtuse and weird, and I honestly can't remember DS2's that much.

The ratio of Somber::Smithing just feels...off. Like you can get Somber 1-3 fairly easily and you only need 1 of each. For an equivalent regular upgrade, that's 36 regular smithing stones. So since Somber weapons go to +10 and regular go to +25, that means 1 Somber level ~ 2.5 Regular levels. But you need 12 regular stones for each regular level. That means a Somber stone is worth roughly 12 x 2.5 = (30) regular stones. So the drop rate should definitely be adjusted.

I never see anyone mention it, but is everyone just sleeping on Night Maiden's Mist? If you are a cheeseball player (like me) that poo poo is the Bee's Pajamas. It seems to also stack once (meaning if you cast 2 clouds in the same spot, enemies take damage from both), unless my eyes are deceiving me (and they could be. I'm usually high when playing ;) ). Casting it thru a wall works as well. A must-have in the cheeseball's toolkit.

My biggest adjustments so far have been:

jumping/jumping attacks. I have only recently started using jumping attacks on the regular. Not because I didn't want to, but because I simply wasn't remembering that I HAD a jump button. Souls muscle memory is strong. I still have to think about it to use it in combat, but at least I am remembering that it's there now.

getting roll caught. This has been the biggest one by far and I still haven't fully adjusted. Again - Souls muscle memory is strong. I get caught SO OFTEN because I roll too soon, because EVERY single enemy has a physics/gravity-defying pause in their swings now. So you really have to move to purely reactive dodging. I'm not there yet, but slowly getting there. I get that they have to come up with new ways of finding difficulty after someone beats each game at SL1 with bare fists, no hit, no rolling, no dodging, but most of these are just kind of silly looking now. Particularly boss jumping attacks, where they literally HOVER in mid-air to delay the attack. It just looks like "video game contrivance" to me - because it is.

As more of a general sentiment, not a huge fan of the combat rhythm now for boss fights. The basic flow was always kind of "wait for opening, then punish" and it still IS that, but, I dunno - if the ratio to wait:punish was say 5:1 in earlier games, it feels like it's 20:1 in this one. And when you finally DO get a punish window, you get one hit (or maybe 2 with a fast weapon). Then the boss either unleashes some ridiculous combo that will kill you unless you are quick enough to dodge, or jumps and flies halfway across the arena and you have to chase it down. It makes boss fights feel WAY too long sometimes. 5 minutes is a long boss fight. 9-10 minutes is ridiculous. It's not hard, just tedious.

All the open world stuff is great. I had come directly off Horizon:Forbidden West before this, and having to collect crafting materials by finding them with my OWN EYES seemed tough at first, but now like the movable rocks in Diablo 2, you just SEE them automatically. Riding around on Torrent is fun and the Spiritstreams (I call them "wooshers") are hilarious and ridiculous. Mounted combat is fun for some things, not so much for others. Feels like almost a necessity early game for like...dragons, at least.

The leveling curve feels very weird to me. From the start of the game, I felt like I was scrabbling for the last few runes to level up at what I felt was a "normal" pace. By Caelid it had smoothed out a bit and started to feel similar to the old games, but then I got to Winter Wonderland and it slowed WAY down again. That's as far as I've gotten.

And I can't believe I am saying this but: game is too large. It just is. Maybe if they had split it up or something. But like 100-120 hours is just too long. Even a 100% playthrough of Persona 5 only took 96 hours. (That was too long also - but it was a 100% trophy run). For comparison purposes: Dark Souls has a grand total of 30 bonfires. DS3 has 78. Elden Ring has around 180. YUGE is what I'm getting at. As much as I love Soulsborne - even I have limits. As a result, I now play just to play, and am not really concerning myself with finishing. I would eventually like to see all of the content, but I'm not in any particular hurry. That's weird for me and From games. (Like I platinumed Sekiro in the 1st week. I have platinumed DS1 on 4 platforms. I usually play the poo poo out of them).

I tried Samurai briefly, since I'm one of those horrible fastrolling Dex players, but couldn't get the feel of melee combat at first, so I jumped to Ast, since my 2nd playthrough is usually Sorcery. Played that all the way up to the Frozen Northlands, and started getting a bit fatigued, since my 65+ Int Sorc suddenly took an entire FP bar to kill anything and was getting 2-3 shot by everything. Was a weird difficulty spike that put me off the game for a bit. Sucks to have found a working combo then have it get rugpulled like that. Then I decided that powerstancing twinblades- one frost one bleed- looked fun so I started a Wretch and have been running that, derping around trying to collect stuff for the build mostly. The one Twinblade I have has been fun.

Great game otherwise. It's been mostly fun and not terribly tedious, aside from specifics mentioned above.

There you go, my Elden Ring experience thus far.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
The problem with "realism" in most games is: reality isn't all that fun.

There was a Quake 1 mod (lol old) called Red Orchestra that was a perfect example of this. It took place during the Russian theatre of WW1(?) and was "realistic" in the sense that it didn't take getting shot more than once or twice in most cases to kill you, and falling from a height of more than a single story building could break your leg/legs so that you either couldn't walk at all or walked VERY slowly (in the manner of a dude with a broken leg). Considerably more "realistic" than Quake itself. At any rate: as you can imagine, it was a loving SLOG to play, because YOU were trying to play a game, but IT was playing a simulation.

So you don't WANT realistic combat in your combat game anyway, because reality isn't that fun.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Idiot Doom Spiral posted:

Since I uninstalled for a whle to focus on studying (gotta do watcha gotta do), figured I'd drop this here before it gets nerfed:

How to be a busted invader without RoB cheese:
Stack some int
Get a low-stat weapon with the moveset or reach you like (I liked: Lance, Halberd, 2x Bandit's Curved Sword)
Apply the Glintstone Pebble Ash of War to your weapon
Have only the minimum requirements for your weapon
Add the Shard of Alexander

Optional:
Magic Scarab
Magic Boosting Tear
Any of the successive-hit talismans if you're powerstancing

Do absolutely anything else as you see fit, from spells to gear. You can wear Rogier's to telegraph what you're doing but reallly, really max out the nukes - honestly this isn't necessary. I usually run Swift Glintblade, Comet, Carian Piercer, Adula's Moonblade and Law of Regression (Frenzyflame Seal) as mandatory ingredients and any leftover slots are for trialing things. Stars of Ruin is an obvious choice here, but Ranni's Dark Moon and Cannon of Haima can both do huge work if you're in a standoff.

Okay, so here is the gimmick:

Just rock up, and if people pressure you once space/dodge them to be just out of range for an instant, hit L2 and then hit R2. That's it.

A hit with Glintstone Blade stuns into a follow-up R2 combo lunge. Additionally, your weapon retains a magic damage buff from Glintstone Blade during this lunge. The result is a combo that will kill anyone who isn't using Barrier of Gold (which, incidentially, you can dispel with Law of Regression). I'm talking in excess of 2k damage against full Bull Goat. I touch just shy of 3K with the Halberd L2+R2 on the Mohgwyn Palace Albinurics. About 2.3-2.6 depending on the setup with the Curved Swords, and they are particularly nice because they don't set off anyone's bullshit radar and you can put out good, simple DPS with running/jumping L1s (additionally you can switch the offhand Sword to Cold, which will proc in ~2 hits - or you can run both as cold if you really just want that buff, at the expense of some burst).

On top of that, you have a toolkit to solve most invasion problems, short of an optimized Beast Roar spammer, which is about the only cast in the game faster than yours. The best part is, anyone that starts a big nuke in your range (like Dragon incants), you can simply instantly combo to death even as they poise through your WA. Rather satisfying. And you just have so many stylish options for dealing incredible damage at any point - the magic weapon alone fucks, the WA just obliterates anyone dumb enough to over-commit, and the sorceries are such an aggressive threat that I was basically having non-stop fun because I could pressure anyone, anytime.

Level ranges:
Damage on the combo itself can be maxed out at about 50 int, so that lets you make sub-100 builds. At 125 you can comfortably have 70 int and your spells will be a significant threat. Any higher than that and you can hit the effective cap at 80 int and maximize your spell damage alongside.

Glintstone Kris is also an option, and very stylish. Your combo damage will drop significantly, but your timings can be mixed up due to the charge of the blade and your range is dramatically extended (and both the WA and charge can be manually aimed - so you can effectively gap-close with this!).

Edit: I did not have the Magic Scarab, as it requires doing Seluvis' quests and I screwed him over long before that point in his questline, not knowing what the reward would have been.

quoting to save.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
A post a while back made me remember wanting to ask this:

Has anyone else noticed something I can only describe as like…an anti-critical?

Like: I throw a fireball at an enemy, it does 2/3rds of its HP bar. I throw another and it doesn’t die? Like it somehow survives another 2/3rd-hp-bar hit with a sliver of health.

Won’t happen for the same enemy in a pool. If I had I guess at how often it happens, maybe 1 in 30?

Have seen it on everything except actual bosses. Not just spells but weapon arts (can confirm Bloody Slash), and throwables (can confirm Fire and Holy pots)

Anyone else?

Is this some new glancing blow/critical miss mechanic?

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Y'all. I have seen that chart. I know that Golden Parry is just as good as Buckler Parry or differs by like - 1 frame or some poo poo.

But for some reason, I can Buckler Parry like a GODDDDDDDD and can't parry poo poo with a MD Shield with Golden Parry.

:iiam:

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I'm finding bloodborne way harder than elden ring but also I didn't interact with the parry or guard counter mechanics at all until my last playthrough and I'm still figuring out the parry timing in bloodborne (I keep getting iced by the trolls people say to practice on)

Suggestion: the hunter pistol and the blunderbuss have VERY different timings. If you aren't vibing with one, try the other.

I can parry all day erryday with the pistol, but can't parry poo poo with the blunderbuss.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Saw a build guide for an Archer that looked fun and decided to give it a try.

it IS fun!

Longbow in left hand, Shortbow in right.

The shortbow is your bread and butter. You have to play it like Legolas - constantly running and jumping and shooting. The shortbow can be fired while jumping, and a Jump shot + a followup is WAY faster that 2 regular shots, plus the jumpshot will headshot maybe 25-30% of the time, and maybe 10% of the time, can go OVER a shield.

Use Mighty Shot on the Longbow as your opener, and keep firing it until they get close enough to switch the Shortbow, then go full Legolas on they rear end. Use Barrage to apply status effects via arrows. (Been using bleed and fire so far - both great).

Following a 100% guide this time since I wanna complete my Trophies, and have done all of Limgrave, Weeping, and just started Liurnia.

Been fun as hell so far. I keep Reduvia/Buckler as a backup in case someone REALLY wants a hug.

Edit: should you try this, the BEST place I have found so far to farm Thin Beast Bones is, just south of Church of Pilgrimage. There are 3 large packs of sheep as you keep going south, 8-10 each pack.

This is important because you will SCRAMBLE for arrows at first. The reglas ones you can get from Kale at 20/per will be bread and butter as well. I ended up just treating it like vials in Bloodborne. Level up, then spend any extra runes on Arrows.

HaB fucked around with this message at 13:43 on May 3, 2022

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

EC posted:

I wanna do a low level dude to act as a blue bro, but I'm not sure what rune level or weapon level to aim for if I'm just gonna hang out in Limgrave/Stormveil. My goal is to go straight for the spiked fists in Caelid and get those to maybe +3 and see what happens. Any suggestions for something like this?

oh hey what's up EC!

From my understanding - Vigor is basically EVERYTHING at low level PvP. So if there is anything which can be called a "meta" it's just: minimum stats to wield weapon, everything else into Vigor.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So I tried playing with the music turned on. Ew. So check it:

I started playing ALL games with the music off about a year ago, and I highly recommend it. Like, literally the first thing I do on a first playthrough of ANY game is open up setting and set Music volume to 0. Why? Because gently caress you don't tell me how to feel, that's why.

In all the Souls games it's good, but in Elden Ring it's particularly moving in some of the less populated, ruined parts of the game world. Makes you feel SUPER alone in a very large world, which you definitely lose with your iPod turned on in your pocket. And oh man....the SCREAMING of the crucified dudes hear Agheel Lake when all you can hear is them and the bats nearby at night!

:discourse:

Plus: revisit an old bossfight in a previous game you thought the music was especially good/bad on, but do it with the music off: do you feel differently?

I have found it made some previously "exciting" bosses mundane, and some previously boring ones a lot more interesting.

At any rate - after a year of doing this, I can now say I recommend it wholeheartedly.

Do I just pull to the next window or....?

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

what the actual gently caress

Don't knock it till you try it, sir.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

im glad someone else is noticing this

Noticing what?

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Flytrap posted:

Fits surprisingly well honestly. Even if the video uses the wrong song, which is loving weird because it's THE iconic song of the game the Hell.

There are songs in this game?

:v:

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So my Archer has hit its first snag: Astel

Doesn’t take much damage from arrows in general, plus kinda tough to consistently hit since the only lock on point is the head and that moves a lot.

I think I could probably get him down via Bleed/Poison arrows, but I don’t have a worthy tank Ash

Mimic tear doesn’t even attempt to dodge any of his bullshit, nor do the Skelebros

Melee would be fine except for that grab attack I can’t even seem to see much less actually dodge.

So yeah. Suggestions?

Alternatively: I’m on PS5 if someone wants to come summonbro

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Flytrap posted:

What weapon are you using? If you have access to Radahn's bow or a similar weapon art than an unlocked L2 will drop the attack right on top of you, which should do some good damage if you launch it from underneath him.

Current setup is Shortbow +15, Longbow +13, Reduvia +8, Bloodhound Fang +7

I don’t have Raddy’s bow. I assume I can get from the Remembrance. But my Str is only 12 as I am Dex/Arc mostly.

I have to two hand the Fang.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

FlocksOfMice posted:

I'm glad with some of these opinions because I think Dark Soups 2 is my favorite even over Elden Ring, and 3 is really the absolute weakest. I don't get why 2 has such a bad reputation??

It seems to mostly depend on which game you started with.

My first was Dark Souls 1, and I absolutely abhor Dark Souls 2. Just about the ONLY thing it got right was the multiplayer - aside from that ridiculous one where you need like 600 kills to get the top covenant reward or whatever that was. The Darkwraith equivalent. But Ratbros and Bellbros were super fun and I am sad no "area protect" covenants made it into the later games.

I could list a hundred reasons why I hate it, but the basics are:

- enemies on turntables. A trend I was disappointed to see ER bringing back. :(
- so. much. "hard for the sake of being hard". This is hard to explain, but like...I feel like Dark Souls 1 had very minimal BULLSHIT to it. DS2 felt like it had a LOT of bullshit. Like in DS1, 9 out of 10 times I died, it was absolutely, no question, on ME. I messed up, and I died. In 2, that number dropped to maybe 4-5 in 10, and the rest were just some stupid bullshit the game was on. It felt like a developer watching over my shoulder the whole time going: "it's hard, right? You guys want it hard, right? hnnng can you feel how HARD that is? gently caress, we made it SO hard this time." while not understanding that BULLSHIT does not equal "hard".
- adaptability
- soul memory. This one was such a massive step backwards for matchmaking I have no idea how it even got off the drawing board.

DS3 is fine, with my biggest complaint being how linear it is. You pretty much have 2 options: early Dancer or not. Otherwise - you WILL go this way, and I shall brook no suggestions otherwise!

ER has been great so far. Still bummed there's no "area" covenant, tho.

For the record, I have revisited DS2 several times, but the OG and with DLC, and have been really trying to like it, but I dunno...it just doesn't connect with me the way the other games did/do.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

same lol don’t even know what they are

A big red invader-style rear end in a top hat which appears near certain graces at night.

The first is @ Warmaster's Shack. Go there at night. Bernahl will be missing (assuming he hasn't already moved to Volcano Manor) and the Bell Bearing Hunter will appear.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Am I instead remembering some sort of fever dream, or at some point did someone post about having trouble with Commander Niall (Castle Sol) and the solution was to "convert" one of the knights to your side, a'la Undead Rapport or something similar?

Is there a similar spell/item in ER?

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

CYBEReris posted:

i still miss with how ds1 parry timings worked you could get absurdly consistent and be virtually untouchable by humanoids with weapons

God. Same. SO MUCH Same.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

No Dignity posted:

I'm just playing about in a build calculator and it's pretty funny the Zwei is now a dex weapon outside of excessively high level quality builds

which build calc?

I haven't found a decent one since the MugenMonkey guy said he won't do ER.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So after spending 3-4 hours yesterday beating Alecto with a melee char, via the time-honored technique of "just tediously learn the entire fight", here's way too many words about that fight.

I was doing this on what started as an Archer build, but Alecto is ridiculously hard to hit with arrows. She's just too twitchy and dodges anyway. My backup weapon for close encounters has been Reduvia at this point, but I had recently found Scorpion's Sting, and would use that sometimes as well. It took stoner me several minutes to jokingly think "hey what if you powerstanced daggers?". Jokingly because I didn't really use them for much outside of backstabs, and they don't really have much reach, so... At any rate, tried it, and it's pretty great. Particularly with one Bleed and one Rot. It's so great that now Bows are the backup. I just blender things to death and usually manage to get both procs to fire.

So back to Alecto.

I jump in with my mini-hand blender, and I'm doing okay, but still getting hit quite a bit, since I'm just getting used to the range of the daggers, and I didn't really know Alecto's moveset, and while her HP bar was pretty steadily diminishing, I would run out of heals before I could get her halfway, really. Definitely feeling outgunned at this point (and this with 40 Vigor!). So I checked her page on the wiki to see if there was anything I was missing and. Yeah she's immune to both Bleed and Rot. Oops! In fact the only thing she is NOT immune to besides Phys is Frost. *sigh*

I did also note that there is a semi-cheese here (which I could only kinda get to work): If you jump up on the rock immediately to the left of where she spawns in, she has a hard time pathfinding up there to you. With a long enough weapon, I would imagine it could be effective. I tried it with a bow and got a lot farther that way than any other bow attempt, but I wouldn't call it a cheese, since it's not even close to foolproof.

So I have the Icerind Axe and the stats to use it but it's waaaaaay too slow for me to be effective against Queen Twitchy, so that was out. I am enjoying powerstanced daggers, so I start looking thru for suitable daggers I could convert to Frost via adding the Hoarfrost Stomp Ash. Ended up going with Misericorde (which I hadn't grabbed on this run, because I wasn't planning on using it). So - went to get that, went to get the Ash, bought some smithing stones, got it up to +6 Frost. Powerstanced it with Reduvia in my offhand, so I get the Stomp as the default Weapon Art.

I give it a try, and this seems to be the build - now I just gotta learn how to not get hit so much while slicing and dicing.

Here's what I learned:

Nearly every move she has is a rollcatch. If you are a panic roller, you're just going to take every hit after the first, because they are all timed to catch exactly that. You will get a lot more mileage out of simply sprinting away rather than rolling. Doping for Stamina recovery highly recommended.

The safest punish windows I found are just after the following moves:

- mid-distance, 2 spins dragging the knife on the ground, with a rollcatch-timed uppercut 3rd spin. (this isn't a LONG window. 1-2 hits max)
- jumps in air, slams knife down with both hands (this has more AOE than you think it does, be careful about moving in too soon)
- the imbued version of the knife slam. So I learned here that the hitbox for the anime slashes is NOT as big as the animation would have you believe, and you can basically run in while that animation is still playing, as long as you don't go too far inside it. It's her biggest attack and will definitely kill you if you take all of it, but it's also perhaps the largest punish window of the fight.

All that being said, she has very little poise if you manage to catch her quickly enough. Once I had the dodges down, finding other places to get a single hit here and there was easy enough. She gets wary of the twin dagger spam quickly, so you gotta mix it up with Stomps to keep her guessing. But - her being wary (and she will legit jump back all the way to the edge of the arena to get away from you) is basically a free Heal window. If you don't need to heal - chase that bitch down.. Just watch out for when her knife lights up. ;)

She has 2 moves that start with a long glide forward, one that's a spear-style straight stab, and one that does 2 slashes. Man.....gently caress that 2 slash version. By the time I beat her I had finally learned how to dodge it, but that move started to feel like it was timed to counter my exact personal Soulsborne timing. The dodge for the straight one is towards and just to the side. Puts you out of range for the followup, too.

So yeah, maybe all that will help someone else stuck trying to get Black Knife Tiche.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Ginette Reno posted:

Alecto took me a while as well. I mostly spammed Moonveil weapon arts on her. They're fast and can sometimes stagger her and break her poise. The biggest issue I had was staying close enough to her to do damage while still maintaining enough distance to avoid her most punishing attack which was that dive bomb red imbue thing. Her second most punishing attack is when she grabs and stabs you. That attack also has more range than you think.

Honestly Moonveil is just incredible. The amount of damage it does for the little fp it costs and how fast the attack goes off...it's so good. I play around with other weapons (flails specifically which I love) but whenever I get stuck on a boss Moonveil comes out.

Alecto sucks but you will definitely want to kill her because that Black Knife Tiche is completely invaluable against Malenia. I don't think I could have beaten her without it.

Yeah Moonveil is how I beat her on my caster. But Rock Sling also worked well there as well, since enemies dodge when you cast it, but the projectiles are slow so they walk into them.

Took me maybe 6-7 tries on the caster, but this was my first attempt as melee.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

DiHK posted:

I'm bad, how do I cheese Alecto?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv501owq6LY

Misgendering aside, I have not tried that method. But looks easy enough.

I would def use a Frost weapon, as that's the only status effect she's not immune too.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Lol at Magmar literally being compelled my Miquella’s charm magic to white knight him in this thread. Wake up, Magmar!

Also, I think this may be the first game I will ever platinum. I just need to go get all the talismans and legendary spells, which is doable in one play through, right?

Also, what’s a fun non Tiche/Mimic/Dung Eater ash to use now that I don’t have to lean on them as a crutch? I’m trying to get Ogha since I’ve never used him, and I liked Latenna in my last play through. He’s just a stationary archer isn’t he?

Latenna is a turret, yes. She hits pretty hard and can chip something down fairly well if you can keep her alive long enough. If you drop her near wolves she can actually ride one, solving the turret problem, but that situation doesn’t come up that often.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
People!

I wish to embrace the Unga and the Bunga

What’s the build? Preferably powerstanced something huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Ginette Reno posted:

Think I'm gonna play DS1/2/3 next since I just recently completed Elden Ring. 2 is the only one I've beaten before. I'm curious how difficult or not the others will be after playing Elden Ring.

I think for 1 I'm gonna do a Pyromancer build. Dunno what for 2 or 3. Gonna try to do something different each game.

Pyromancy is an add-on in DS1. Doesn't require any stat investment at all, only Souls. And if you don't start as a Pyro, can get the flame as soon as you beat Capra Demon and can get to The Depths.

IIRC ~330k souls will max out the pyro flame entirely.

The lack of stat investment is why the canonical SL1 run uses it. Also because Pyro is the only actual class in DS1 which starts at SL1.

What I'm getting at is: there's no "build" for Pyro in DS1 - it's just buying upgrades. So for an actual build, I guess spec to what you want your backup weapon to be. Also: DS1 is limited casts between bonfires and doesn't have a way to refill casts "out in the field" as it were, so you WILL need a backup something, because eventually you won't want to waste limited (and hard-hitting) pyro casts on trash mobs.