Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Gonna elden that ring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

*laughs*

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

looking forward to some new laughs

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

This happens in game when you are granted eyes to see.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/bugliker/status/1496695672040574976?s=20&t=bp_d_oPf2CCKoitW-7muIQ

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

feels good man

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

terrorist ambulance posted:

The skill is "buckler parry" rather than "parry", which suggests there's a difference. The elden ring wiki says the small shield parry is faster
It is. The timing between the small / eye shield(s) and the other kinds is noticeable; the whirlwind ash effect is pretty in-sync with smaller ones and... not with the big ones

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

So where does a bitch find some poison knives

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

War Wizard posted:

I just got this game and played it last night.
I found a Mario style warp pipe that took me from a river all the way East to some Beast Sanctum no idea what to do there, and all the monsters are way stronger than I am. I spent the rest of my night exploring my way back and getting all the waypoints. Seems like most good stuff is packed into mini dungeons but many of them are just holes in a wall.

Use stealth / backstab to farm the Bloodborne gnomes for runes, they're 1k each and aren't super tough if you get the drop on them.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Grouchio posted:

Aight finally starting Elden ring which class should I choose - and are magic builds good or no?
Yes, and yes

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah. That guy you met at the beginning is skimming some of them
Saw a “enemy ahead” message and decided to put trust in my fellow Tarnished. Worked out for once.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

There are certain catacombs Stakes that are bugged, but most of the ones I've seen have been working

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I will never hurt a tortoise, irl or in a game

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

Dehumanize youself and face to papicide

never

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

I saw a spirit with a massive shield with a face with an open mouth and tentacles for a tongue. Anyone know where to get it?
It's a mini-dungeon reward in the eastern bit of the map, you'll know it by the ruins full of explodey hollows and siege weapon enemies that look just like that shield.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Nonexistence posted:

So after 14 attempts and trying everything I came across to fix it, I haven't once gotten a non-bugged Rennala fight. Her glowing adds never spawn and she doesn't have a golden bubble. Am I hardlocked out of what I assume to be an essential boss unlesd they ever patch this?
Fwiw, when I was running into this it was because I spun up summons from the Debate Parlor summoning pool, which definitely bugs out the boss fight - although there was one summon who had a kind of damaging mist sorcery that appeared to damage her as she was flying, probably also a bug. If you're going to summon, do so from the fog gate. Beyond that... good luck!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I admire and appreciate this game but after defeating Godrick I'm suffering pretty heavily from not so much option paralysis as option irrelevance - I don't find Caelia a fun or interesting environment to traverse (big dogs, big birds, and faded erdleafs as far as the eye can see), I've outleveled the weeping peninsula, beat the Academy, the area north of that seems sparse, and I've farmed enough of the Bloodborne gnomes out in the fields outside the Beast Temple that I've hit progression doldrums. Most of what I can immediately tackle is, naturally, poison swamps and / or areas where the mobs are quick AND hard-hitting.

Honestly I've felt for a long time that, contra industry and consumer consensus, linearity is underrated in game design. What I miss most about the other Souls games (even Sekiro, which I sucked at) is that sort of considered pacing and steady revelation that developer control of the player experience provided. Bloodborne especially is such a joy, the unity of aesthetics and the pacing of how the game progresses, the night growing longer and things getting more hosed up and ominous. You don't get that with Elden Ring, you instead get the blooming of more stuff to explore. There was also a sense of mystery that, imo, Elden Ring lacks, if only because of that relinquishing of highly curated pacing.

It's not that the overworld is poorly made, it's that it isn't the kind of game I go to FromSoft for. I even find myself wondering if a more orthodox, gamey "open world" design would have helped with that listlessness of pacing, but I more than likely would have loving hated it. What's there fits with the FromSoft's player-trusting, experiential philosophy, but I get more and more desperate as I play to find the lil dungeons and catacombs, for no other reason than it reminds me of classic FromSoft design.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 5, 2022

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

FishMcCool posted:

Not sure if you want pointers, so if you don't, dont' look any further.

Do you mean Godrick? Because if so, the 'sparse' area north of the Academy is leading you straight to the main path, and a NPC outside the north gate of the academy gives you a hint. You kind of have nothing to do in Caelid at that point, and the area is well above the 'logical' areas of progression.

If you didn't mean Godrick, let me know and I'll hint at something else.

You're right, I typo'd. Godrick's the guy.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

A gentle reminder to folks in this thread new to FromSoft games, when us veterans post "gently caress this" or "X is total cheap bullshit", that's when we're having the most fun.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

RC Cola posted:

Is there a way to keep Rogier alive?

I mean he is actively pursuing Life In Death of his own accord

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Incoherence posted:

I'm inclined toward lazy rune farming spots that can't actually kill me, so the path from the first grace in Mohgwyn Palace with all the non-aggressive dudes is perfect for me. (The red ones will come after you but aren't any tankier than the blue ones.)
I zone out on an audiobook and backstab farm the Bloodborne gnomes outside the beast cleric temple

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Level design is always an underrated aspect of PvP and even with fog gating, the open design of the game just feels odd

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Shoulda been more aggressive tbqh

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

My rapier tank can’t go north of Liurnia or else the game crashes :’( RIP “Pope Tortoise”, you were fun to play

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

My latest character has become trapped in the Caelid Gaol Cave by consistent crashes halfway through :[ all I wanted was a wakizashi with which to powerstance!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Finally clicked with my arcane-incant build, thanks to whoever pointed out scaling goes nuts after 26, I was idling at 25 while pumping vigor.

These days I mainly use the dragon breath for the rare PVP / hairy NPC fight and otherwise stick with bolt throwing and the arcane S-scaling frogman polearm I had to grind out with white claws in the boring old Academy town ruins (also a buffed up halberd crucible knight summons for the multi-boss stuff). I’m curious if a straight faith build compares w/r/t lightning and fire casters. A- / S- scaling with the dragon brand just seems like a no-brainer. Plus you get more loot with your discovery going to the moon. I only pumped faith enough to cast black flame.

After so many hours the +3/+4 smithing stone bell, just hanging out near the entrance of its mine felt like a little gift from the devs to me. I’m betting there’s some variety of whetstone that grants arcane damage scaling (as opposed to reducing damage and adding elemental buildup scaling, I mean) that will make a less goofy weapon more viable with the build. But until then, I’m just out here farming the blood gnomes with my thin little silver pitchfork and watching the arcane numbers go up and up and up…

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Embrace mystery, you fuckin nerds

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Gologle posted:

Snake Maze, on a basic level, is correct in his view that these games require a lot of inferring and interpretation to see what the story is, and that someone's interpretation may differ from that of another's. However...that has been the case in every Souls game since Demon Souls. If anything, I think Elden Ring's story is the most clear cut of all the Souls games. But if this level of what is, admittedly, theorycrafting about the plot of the game isn't your cup of tea, then I get that, but that's just how From Soft does things.

The secret is that all readings of a text, even those of the author, have a heart of conjecture

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

morestuff posted:

Thinking about giving BB or DS3 another shot after enjoying this one. How easy is it to overlevel in those games to adjust the difficulty down a bit?
BB has a random seed side dungeon system that, with a little help from the internet, you can farm for as many levels as you could possibly want. It’s also From’s best game

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I did and I missed almost all the cool world building so now I'm going to feed turds to the weird freak covered in assholes thank you very much

This guy gets it

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The Anime Liker posted:

drat.

Time to burn another larval tear and see what moving those spare ARC points into STR/DEX does.

Because while they're not big gains, they are still gains.
The Quadfather is the ultimate min-maxer
https://twitter.com/guaph/status/1373299324268990467?s=20&t=gmdTAdlIbk_AxOgmA9VNag

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Ograbme posted:

What's up with the garlic-looking enemies with trumpets. Who are those guys.

The horn section

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

or to revisit another comparison that basically invites itself: Horizon Zero Dawn makes you gather sticks to turn into arrows, but at least it puts sticks everywhere. they might be scarcer inside a dungeon to make you feel the pinch but they're not all on the eastern half of the map or something.

Elden Ring makes poison and rot recurring threats to the player all game and then never spawns a single basic, non-variant Herba or Cave Moss anywhere past Liurnia. you can of course just teleport back to the Four Belfries and farm like 5 herba, 3 feathers, and a couple mushrooms every time the loading screen finishes, but is that fun? challenging? thematic to the game's plot? anything?
yes, yes, yes, everything

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

look at the samuel beckett of video games over here
I can't level up, I'll level up

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

afaik you can only powerstance like weapons with the exception of the wakizashi dagger off-handed with a katana.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

Isn't there technically a (very) small blood swamp in the Rose Church?
There's a blood knight who spawns and can create lil blood swamps but they're temporary

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

precision posted:

thanks for the info about Rock Sling causing Stagger damage, now my dumb rear end is killing Storm Hill giants in sub 20 seconds

is that the best i'm gonna do for Soul farming pre-Academy? i haven't even got the Glintstone Key yet
If you do the white mask's quest he'll give you a badge that will take you to a world of very valuable frog men, which will get you into the 100s easily

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

fallingstar beast has incredibly lopsided resists. some builds will struggle to even dent him, for others he's basically a pushover. i don't think it's actually any more complicated than that

e: well that plus "a few weak points that get a damage multiplier and an overall body that gets a damage penalty," which every Soulsbornering player seems absolutely dead-set on ignoring even when they know about it lol
Anybody without a backup option for damage type beyond their main is a fool

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Amuys posted:

So why is GOLD the theme of this game? You don't really find much coinage in this game sadly.
It's the color of both splendor and corruption

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Survival mode is fine for sandbox games — rarely fun, but fine.

Elden Ring is not a sandbox. It doesn’t even have the basic procedural / emergent elements of like, MGS5. Even the things out in the world that seem as though they might gesture toward emergent AI - the battlefields where Limgrave soldiers fight demihumans, where Redmane soldiers fight Caelid monsters, The never ending ghost brawl in the Radagan catacombs - they’re all hand-placed and calibrated, same as all Soulsborne content short of the more mutant strains of Chalice dungeon.

Survival mode would add… more foraging and resource collection. And the first thing any lazy rear end “survival” mod does is jack up resource costs for everything, further restricts the capacity to gather resources, or both.

The only thing that darker nights would do is disallow me to avoid giant bat fights, and thus force me to only play during the in-game day.