Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I beat this game today. 160 hours into this thing, Jesus. I'm torn between wanting to do an NG+ or replay with a different build and being kind of exhausted.

I need to talk to my therapist about why I had so much fun dying 200 times in a row to the naked woman boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Yeah I'd get my weapons stuck at one level forever because I couldn't find any level 6 stones or whatever.

Part of the endgame experience I'm having is finding rando caves I missed the first time then plowing my massively over-leveled character through them like the demigod she's become. Taking out a boss in 3 hits is a kind of fun even if I missed out on the real challenge. Of course this is Fromsoft so if I'm careless enemies 100 levels lower than me can still gently caress me up pretty bad.

This game is so huge I feel no shame in using the wiki a lot because there's useful stuff I'd never find on my own.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

The Fire Giant strat I stumbled into was summoning Tiche and spamming Ranni's dark moon, which I'd just gotten my Int high enough for. Somehow it worked.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Dark Souls taught me to be super cautious of chests so I would always immediately back roll after opening one. Took me a while before I even figured out what the smoke does.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

Skelebones guys are fun because they resurrect endlessly unless hit while rising which gives them theoretically* infinite HP.

*Very very theoretically

This was a strat I semi-successfully used a lot in the early game, it's not 'optimal' but very entertaining against some bosses.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I mean I certainly blew past NPCs then only went back to speedrun their quests much later after I saw stuff about them online. (And like, apparently that Boc guy has a whole storyline I never finished, I think I left him in a cave). I do kinda wish things were a notch easier to keep track of, though I agree that would also lose something that makes this series special.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Anything glitch-free speedrunners don't do is a side quest IMO. So this game was probably 150 hours of side quests for me.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Well into NG+ and I just ran into Night's Cavalry for the first time. This game.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

TIL there’s a jar burg, gently caress

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I keep the blue ring on a lot for multiplayer. The problem is it likes to spawn you super far away from the host and by the time you run there either the host or invader usually dies. But when it hits it's pretty fun.

I also sunbro a lot but late game it's pretty much 100% for Godskin Duo.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

The most dumbass thing I did in this game was think Gostoc was an enemy in Stormveil, jump-attack him from above, then run away to try to shake his aggro, leading him to fall off a cliff and die.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

My brain is broken specifically in that if I summon a co-op who's way better than me and beats the boss for me I feel like a weak baby loser, while if I summon top-tier spirit ashes to trivialize a boss I'm cleverly playing the game as intended.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Getting 4 levels of runes off Mogh in NG+ is very fun. First time I had to count the number of digits to be sure how many I had.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

DLC should have Snake Waifu Ending, Miyazaki you coward.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I’m going deliberately way out of order in NG+ and it turns out if you beat Morgott before going to Stormveil, he isn’t there as Margit either anymore either. It makes sense but I wasn’t sure if they went to the trouble of implementing it!

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm in like hour 200 of playing this game and still stumbling across new stuff, like the Fallingstar Beast on top of a bunch of ladders in Mt. Gelmir. Never wandered over there before.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

The only way I could get my arcane build to beat that fallingstar beast was to abuse Dragonmaw, which is already a push-L1-to-win-button.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I mostly just play the game and don’t get deep into the mechanics but that video is really interesting and explains why she feels so much more unpredictable than anything else. So many times you think you can get some hits in when oops, she’s starting waterfowl and you’re in the middle of an attack animation, better luck next time.

Omnomnomnivore fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 10, 2023

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I beelined it to that tower after doing Radahn because I thought getting his rune was the obvious next place to go, and banged my under-leveled character against the wall of that boss for way too long before giving up.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

Unsure if this is what you meant to imply, but: you don’t need to beat that boss to get the rune, it’s up at the top of the tower, take a right from the first in-tower grave and ascend the stair, it’s behind a door on your left.

Honestly bc the visual design was so weird, the first time I played I got to the end of that hall and thought it was a sealed door… without turning left and seeing the actual door was right there.

Oh yeah I know, but I was already in the tower and exploring and the fact that the black flame monk guys were kicking my rear end wasn't enough of a clue that I should get out of there. I just thought it was deliberately FromSoft hard.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Does anyone ever not have enough stonesword keys in this game?

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Got summoned against Malenia a few times last night running a Radhan Cosplay Rematch gimmick build and it uniformly ends either with (1) host dies to waterfowl dance, or (2) I die to waterfowl dance a few seconds before host finishes the fight.

On my own I managed to fairly reliably get her to phase 2 without spirit ashes but said gently caress it and let +10 dung eater finish her off after that.

Also I just realized my "make the opposite choice" second playthrough means I'm locked into the frenzied flame ending because I killed Millicent. Hope everyone likes ego death, oops.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I think my save is mildly bugged because it lets me teleport right into the Placidusax fight. And teleport back out for about 20 seconds.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I've decided that no matter what build I run I will always have some random weapon upgraded with sacred blade in my inventory to gently caress up skellingtons.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Does Radagon just block 100% of spells when he has <10% health or am I just tilted right now?

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Their fight against Placidusax is particularly dramatic https://youtu.be/jbcWGVsAvOY

I did not expect someone to remake the end of Throne of Blood in this game, but here we are.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

This thread is Radahnculous.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I definitely got stuck without any... I think Smithing 3s when I was Just Playing. Eventually had to look up where to farm them when I realized I had a bunch of 4s I couldn't use on anything. With the giant world it's not too hard to fall into that kind of trap.

I do like that they ditched armor upgrades from DS1, though - I recall it was both tedious and fairly pointless.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

The story of Elden Ring is about writing "praise the crab" when there's a crab to praise (always).

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Radahn just glitched out of his arena on me. Went up for the starfall and didn't come back. Except all the NPCs and my sunbros kept whittling away at his healthbar somehow until he died while I stood around like a dipshit. I've been cheated out of my 3rd playthrough Radahn fight.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Hour 317 and I found the spot where Patches kicks you off a cliff.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

He lays out some rainbow stones on Mt. Gelmir to lure you to a cliffside, then kicks you down to a bunch of basilisks. I always went to the manor first which makes him skip that.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I have that problem with all consumables, not just rune arcs. If I haven't learned a boss pattern yet, I'll probably die anyway and waste them. Once I've learned the patterns I don't need them to win. It's a very narrow range where they give the needed edge.

Rune arcs were the most fun for overworld exploration where I could get a good long run without dying, and the extra stats or health or whatever makes it easier to deal with stuff.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

So what's the lore about the sphincters anyway

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

World War Mammories posted:

myriad buttholes

And it all comes back to the sphincters.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

And you can lock yourself out of unlocking it if you make certain choices too.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I like how many oxymoronic or nonsensical names this game has. That you summon three "Lone Wolves", or that there's a "Hermit Village", or that a bunch of "greatswords", including the Greatsword, are actually collossal swords.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I think bad hole goes to the big gross room with the revenant so yeah it's a bad hole.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I was doing summons with an endgame unga bunga strength character and got summoned for Gideon for the first time ever. I think I have finally experienced the dark joy of a bully shoving a nerd into a locker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Getting summoned for Malenia only for the host to take Scarlet Aeonia in the face 5 seconds into phase 2 is way too common.

Also Godfrey with 2 summons sucks, he just has too much health.