Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The trailer does show vast open fields and you have a horse but I don't expect the open world to be massive. It's probably just to get from one area(dungeon) to another with few monsters ala Shadow of the Colossus in between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

^Nice to see more people getting into these games.

https://twitter.com/EXDragonith/status/1403140856865955840

This also needs the mushrooms from ds1.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I am not mad about it being cross gen, imo Fromsoft's games look fine on a technical level but most of the beauty of their games is the aesthetics, atmosphere and art style. That's why Bloodborne is still one of the best looking games just because of the aesthetics.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

punished milkman posted:

expecting from software to make a game as graphically excellent as the demons souls remake is kinda ridiculous. bluepoint had the luxury of having every design and gameplay mechanic built for them already. they also had sony breathing down their necks to produce a game that made the ps5 look amazing (they succeeded).

from is a different dev studio with a totally different set of strengths than bluepoint. games aren’t made magically by throwing money into a bucket and having a thing come out, there are people and teams and management involved that are going to vary hugely across the industry. from software is still working with an iteration of their original demons souls engine because they know how to make good games with it, but it definitely is not capable of pushing visuals like bluepoint does.

This.

Ya there is literally only a handful of devs that can get graphics like Bluepoint while on top of that making the game from scratch. That requires INSANE amounts of resources and capital. That's why its only teams like ND, Rockstar, Santa Monica, Square. I really prefer Fromsoft's less capital extensive style, they probably have way better roi for their games. DS3 for example sold as much as GoW with less marketing and smaller budget. Another thing is that those studios are NOTRIOUS for crunch or insanely long project times(Square).

Ulio fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 11, 2021

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Miyazaki gave IGN some info about the trailer. Seems like there is 6 kingdoms with 6 demigods who have pieces of the Elden Ring. There is fast travel too if you get tired of riding around.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Colonel Whitey posted:

Lol I'm right there with you. My hype levels are reaching MGSV status and I'm worried

Lol same, I have a horrible track record for games I get crazy hyped for(Cyberpunk/Anthem). I was hyped for Sekiro and that delivered so I'll still trust Fromsoft.

Btw Miyazaki in the Japanese Famitsu interview said the game is easier than Sekiro and difficulty is closer to DS3 just cause you have so much options. Also he is implying you can swap weapon artes to any weapon so you can get like the dagger shadow step while wielding an axe? Not sure if he means exactly that but I guess we will get more info on Bandai's stream tomorrow.

Also this is their biggest game and you can't ride horses in Co-op but can roam the open world.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

i've got bad news for you...

Ya this is basically based on DS3 + you have more options with weapon artes so I am guessing it's gonna be even more action oriented than DS3/BB but less so than Sekiro. Honestly if you want slow tactical you can still go shield+spear you will be able to fight most of the enemies at your own pace.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya imo even more than Bethesda, I am hyped for Obsidian getting the Microsoft triple a budget they still have potential meanwhile Bethesda's rpg's have been getting worse and worse. Ya the gunplay has improved from F3 to F4 but all the rpg elements have suffered. I have the Outer Worlds in my backlog, I wonder how that is.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

From a interview with a Russian site, Poison swamp confirmed.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The only game where the invasion mechanic feels horrible is Demon Souls because if you don't want to be invaded you have to stay in soulform which has like 25% less hp and on early levels that is so annoying. Also you don't get back humanity when you pick up your bloodstains in demon souls so getting invaded feels horrible especially if you have a pve magic build its fkin hard to do anything if the guy can press b.

Normally invaders camp a specific spot so you can just go do another area and come back. Usually you will only get that one guy that is near your level invading you.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ineffiable posted:

You mean 50%. You get 25% less if you wear the cling ring.

Ya but it's just bad design because if you don't put stats in vit you have to basically perma wear cling ring early on and stay dead to avoid invades. Just limits what you can do with your build when one ring is basically mandatory for most of the early game. Ya if you are a good you don't need to wear it but I am sure most new players weeped when they first equiped cling ring.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ineffiable posted:

Oh I don't disagree. It's basically a trap that ends up permanently taking away a ring slot for most players. Then the thief ring is so good at reducing the aggro range that you want to take that most of the time too.

The kicker, both rings are in the very first level!

Man thief's ring is a lifesaver in that game because enemies leash is so long. The boss run to Old hero where you have to go through the cliffside and the flying enemies are just pelting you with projectiles while there is also the rolling skeleton in a super narrow area. Without thief's ring that area is a nightmare as a mage cause the rolling skeletons dodge your spells so you have to kite them back and keep thiefs ring to avoid aggroing the flying enemies. That was imo the hardest part of the game for me, also old hero is hard even with thief's ring if he finds you he sometimes just starts attacking nonstop. Him and Allant were the only challenges, I mean magic is completely broken in DeS but it felt even easier than I originally played it.

Small changes like recovering humanity when you pick your bloodstained are so loving good in Dark Souls, there is so many tiny adjustments like that, that just make Dark Souls more enjoyable. That's I feel like Elden Ring could still be great despite being largely based on DS3. Fromsoft are great at keeping largely the same formula but adding small changes that have a huge impact. Like Estus in DS1, bonfires, rally in Bloodborne, teleport in sekiro from the start.

I still haven't played DS3 yet, I was just keeping it till we get a release date for Elden Ring, I'll probably play that sometime soon.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Grayshift posted:

DS2 does some things the best out of all FromSoft's games. But it also does many things the worst out of their entire catalog. Truly, Drangleic is a land of contrasts.

Ya, DS2 has some areas that are so fun but the game is super bloated imo, way too many areas, repeated bosses. I do think the DLC is amazing, if the main game was as consistent as the dlc it would be one of the best.

VideoGames posted:

DS2 sotfs is my favourite of the DS trilogy. I played it first a few months ago and loved what it was doing. DS1 was good. DS3 has the best combat of all three and feels almost as fast as bloodborne. Just a wonderful fantastic series :D

Ya I went into it thinking it was poo poo because it's considered the worst DS game but apparently the worst DS game is still absolutely awesome. Albeit I played it before DS3 came out, the online community was still active and the balance imo was much better than DS1 for online.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

What everyone else is saying here. This looks awesome. The open world + dungeons might make this the best level design by From.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Says preorders available

Ya looks like its up to pre purchase on Steam and PS store.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I still feel like DS2 is the most ambitious of the trilogy, but they had way too much bloat. If they had merged a few of the areas together and made them interconnected instead of just linear paths and not reuse repeat bosses as much, it would have been received better.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I enjoyed Dark Souls 2 more than 3, and more than most of the back half of 1. The criticisms are mostly fair, but it genuinely felt experimental.

Loved the music and vibe of Majula, loved Faith being viable and fun without having to wait until the late game, loved swinging the Craftsman's Hammer. The fact that summoning actually worked within seconds every time I tried it was wild.

Ya totally agree, I don't think it nails all the changes correctly but I liked for trying new things even if it failed in some aspects. I think if the level design and boss design of the main game was as good as the dlc, it would have gotten a much better reception.

Also is there a way Elden Ring is bad? I feel like unless it's a technical mess, at worst it will just be open world DS which still sounds good to me.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

On fromsoft developmental stuff...

Ya I definitely see your point of them dropping mechanics midway development. Until Elden Ring, Fromsoft was on a very consistent schedule of new games every 2 year so I guess they just couldn't afford doing a huge dev cycle like some of these big first party developers do ND or Santa Monica.

I am also interested in seeing how this game does sales wise, it's literally coming out on everything and seems like all the big twitch streamers will play it. There has been a big boost to gaming sales post covid. Seems like a perfect set up to blow through past DS3's 5m in one month number. Maybe From can hire someone to implement ultrawide support out of the box.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Qmass posted:

I was laughing in my head dark souls 3 10 mill pretty niche (like it isn't)

then I googled how many copies of pubg have been sold...

sadface

Honestly financial success of a game depends on development cost as % of revenue. By that ratio I would wager Souls series has insane margins. Development cost are lower in Japan since avg salary for the industry is much lower there and Bandai don't even spend that much on marketing.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I never got the complain about gang squads or invaders. Imo it always made the game better unless they were straight up hacking and I encountered those only a few times and I have played all the games online on PC. Having a poo poo ton of souls and just on your way to a bonfire just to get invaded is one of the worst feelings in Souls but it fits well with the theme of the world, everyone wants you dead.
The only area where it was annoying was in Darkroot garden where multiple invaders could gently caress you up and there was also the forest defenders.

Sakurazuka posted:

One of the five times I was ever invaded in DS2 they started throwing acid at me to break all my stuff so I jumped of a cliff. Either kill me or gently caress off, don't piss about.

Lol that's hilarious, why didn't you just fight back?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Can’t fight back with broken poo poo!!

Fair enough, I forgot how fast equipment can corrode with acid.

Has From said if this will have ultrawide support from the start or we don't have that data yet?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

I've officially reached the hype stage for a game where I just have no interest in even touching another game at the moment. I'm going thru Ghost of Tsushima right now but it really feels like I'm just going thru the motions until I can finally become tarnished

Fromsoft games get me so hyped, I don't even watch any trailers. It was a great surprise playing Sekiro although I hated that they showed the Guardian ape in trailer but then his 2nd part is still surprising as gently caress.

I feel like we have seen a few bosses in the first gameplay trailer but imo that's good enough for me. I don't want to know more. I want to get lost, get stuck and discover random things by myself, then after I am done check what are the cool things other people found online.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Irrc Black Gulch has a hidden bonfire a lot of people miss. You need to just gun it since it's one of the most linear areas in DS2 which is already super linear, or just do runs to destroy statues since they don't respawn.. Once you get to the hidden bonfire the boss run is a straight line and the boss in the area isn't that hard.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 30, 2022

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Haven't finished DS3 yet but imo the series had good music even from DeS. The vinland astraea theme, fools idol is great, the nexus theme is good too imo.

DS2 has the worst ost but it's because there are so many bosses and most of theme have generic tracks. The Majula theme is the best hub theme in the whole series though.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

DS2 is definitely the weakest Souls game but I've always considered it the best entry to the series. I think it's the easiest one with lifegems and probably the largest number of chump bosses (I only played launch version, mind).

DS2's difficulty is all over the place though. DS2 has way too many bosses and as you said most are chumps but then it has random gently caress you bosses like the 2nd smelter demon fight and darklurker. The DLC's difficulty is more even throughout as it's pretty hard across all the dlcs.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvi6Hf7GvaI

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/EldenRingUpdate/status/1492872321698308099/photo/1

Next stop poison swamp.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Worried about covid? No

War in Ukraine? No

Dying before ER? Yes

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

GutBomb posted:

My kid is freaking out about the requirements. His PC is a 3470 w/8GB and a 1050ti. Runs DS3 on low settings at 60FPS most of the time. He never tried Sekiro because he watched me play it and noped out but we've basically been able to talk about nothing but how we're gonna co-op the poo poo out of elden ring together and well... He's now sad.

I think it will end up running if we tweak the settings downward, maybe run at 720p or something.

Your son has good taste in games.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

From the subreddit

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Guys stay safe inside and don't die before ER comes out.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

GRRM two main tropes are incest and unnecessary description of food.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Elden Ring coming out around the same time covid ends, I don't think that's a coincidence. Miyazaki literally ended the pandemic.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

This guy posted his review a bit early. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqnkeflf63I

Don't watch if you don't want any spoilers but he said he has platinumed all the Souls games and he said this is the best one yet, he thinks full playthrough might be 100 hours, he said its not easy either like some people were saying(could be his build?).

Also his footage was on ps5, looks like its running at 60fps, I can't tell what the resolution is due to youtube though.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

There is only 27 reviews but I don't think I have seen many games even get that high on that amount.

IGN gave it a 10 which is a first since TLOU2 in 2020.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I am sure everyone here is a soulsborne fan so they would have loved it anyway but seems like the openworld is really getting more people into the series. Nice to see.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I guess you can't wait for the pc day 1 patch to review the game for pc with how long this game is suppose to be. It's crazy how everyone is saying there is so much poo poo to do in this game and I am guessing reviewers probably didn't find secret areas or all side quests endings.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz9yx47LNzw

This guy built his whole channel on Skyrim and it's one of his favorite games. He said the sense of wonder/exploration is like playing Skyrim for the first time but with the Fromsoft flavor. He also hinted that it has something similar to Bloodborne, not sure if he meant a tone shift or what.

So far the only negatives that I have heard are some repetitive side dungeons, pc performance(without day 1patch).

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/Jacksepticeye/status/1496501427979657219

I am avoiding the video reviews but I saw a few glimpses man this game looks insane, it looks like they barely showed anything in the previews. There is so much cool stuff in the open world and different kind of settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Horizon Zero Dawn came out and got really good reviews then Breath of the Wild was released shortly after.

Horizon Forbidden West came out and got really good reviews then Elden was released shortly after.