Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Now what in tarnishing is this Golden Order, John Eldenring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/BuxbiArts/status/1403082212925378564

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Pot just wants to boogie.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
it's okay if they don't add solo invasions
not every game has to be made for your tastes

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/cazlone/status/1456644286477479937

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
hosed up it's not locked at 24, god's perfect framerate

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

look i'm gonna take this as dragon's dogma 2 until capcom hopefully makes it themselves
That's one of the items that's been on recently leaked lists, like the Nvidia one that had the Actraiser remake listed before Square first announced and released in on the same day. Obvious grains of salt until an official statement from Capcom, though.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Dark Souls 3 is the least From Soft game to me.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

well i don't know about you guys but i got press ganged into a crystal mine and the shrimp overseers kept noscoping me
If you didn't manage to get out of there yet, or for anyone else who finds themselves in this situation and need a hand: you can sneak out of the hut and go right at the forked path in front of you - the shrimp overseers don't really look in that direction, and the miners won't bother you while you're sneaking. There's a tunnel that goes down to a ladder and a lost grace. HOWEVER, you can't teleport out from that, so you'll probably need to find another lost grace outside in the swamp.
Try looking south/southeast, probably best if you can use Torrent to bypass the fights if you're still early on.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Just a few hours in, and I'm enjoying it, but the first area just doesn't feel very Dark Souls to me (at least the outdoor parts, the interiors I've seen are great). What's with all these animals that aren't undead, cursed, or even visably diseased? And I'm picking fruit? I hope future zones will feel more gloriously ruined. Or maybe they're trying to show us a world that isn't quite as fallen (or hasn't been fallen as long) as DS1&3.

Not super into the horse yet, either. But that's not a big deal; I just don't use it much.
I believe they very much wanted a world that wasn't quite as "dead" as Dark Souls, so that bit'd be deliberate.
Torrent is good for covering a lot of ground you've already seen to a destination, sprinting past enemies you'd rather not fight at the moment, giving an extra combat option, and sometimes platforming because he can jump higher.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

What does the red square icon with the down arrow mean? Is it decreasing my max HP? I can't figure out what's causing it.
You got a hug. It's decreasing your max HP but you can use the item you got with the hug to remove the status.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Propaganda Hour posted:

lol yeah. I've died more to misjudged falls than bosses so far
guess they want you trying out those rainbow gems

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Such an important co-op item.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

AndrewP posted:

yo what the gently caress, this enemy at Laskyar Ruins is like the hardest thing I've had to fight and it's not even a boss
There was no way approaching a gazebo so brazenly was going to be easy.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

how the gently caress does this cattail talisman work. I get that it can't make me immune to fall damage when the fall is so far that the game calculates that I'm dead before I even hit the ground but I just jumped off rannis tower which seemed reasonable, and I made it all the way to the ground, and then I went splat. Am I missing something?
For a more in-depth reason on what's going on, there's this essay on how fall damage works in Elden Ring
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm-QA4rZPYk

But the tl;dr is that lethal falls still begin at 20 meters like all past Souls games, but you now have to fall 16 meters before you begin to take fall damage in Elden Ring, as opposed to 5 meters in previous games.
This means that the talisman only helps reduce damage from 16-19.99 meter falls. This makes its value... pretty drat low in this game.

(Relatedly, Torrent doesn't raise the lethal fall hardcap per se, but it seems that the game does factor the raised position of your feet for calculations, so a precisely 20 meter fall on Torrent will be lethal to your steed and just barely non-lethal for you because "you" didn't fall quite as far.)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Orv posted:

I was unclear on if he was the guy you actually invade third for Volcano Manor or if that was a relative or something.
That one is Juno Hoslow. From reading the armor set descriptions, he's Diallos's older brother and had turned down Volcano Manor's invitation previously. Owing to his younger brother being "all talk and no trousers," he easily became the head of House Hoslow and was thus free to "shower him with adoration." For Diallos's part, he's driven to try and aspire to match Juno's achievements, even though it would break his brother's heart to do so.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Funky See Funky Do posted:

What do you lose in NG+?
Mostly just key items, bell bearings, and great runes. Also all the sites of grace specifically from your map.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Funky See Funky Do posted:

What about talisman pouches? Can you get another 3?
Max talisman slots is still 4 afaik.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

megane posted:

Oh, maybe Fia won’t move there until you have two runes? I guess I’d have to test it.
You can bypass the Draconic Tree Sentinel but it seems the trigger to her quest is specifically having two shardbearer runes and having activated the Grand Lift of Dectus. So you'd be going inordinately out of your way to skip one specific boss.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Jose posted:

well drat. is this actually explained in the descriptions lol

It's not 100% explicit but I was reasonably confident to try crafting a fire pot and tossing it after I read that.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Patch notes are up, it's not a huge list of changes.

quote:

Major items included in the latest update
・Fixed a bug that sometime prevented players from advancing NPC Nepheli Loux’s questline
・Fixed a bug that causes the playable character to die when trying to descend from a spot near Bestial Sanctum
・Fixed a bug that prevented Ash of War, Endure from taking effect
・Fixed a bug in multiplayer that allowed players to teleport others to incorrect map coordinates

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

enojy posted:

That one branch behind Bestial Sanctum (if you don't know, look along the ledges for messages) has been fixed to not OOB instakill you, and there is indeed An Area down there. I'm checking it out now, but so far, it's just tricky jumps, bats, and a few sanctuary stones.
The two main items you're looking for are a dagger and a talisman. The dagger boosts Bestial Incantations' potency, the talisman is the basic version of the physical damage reduction (+1 and +2 are in later areas)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

I uhh got to the bottom and locked myself into an ending by accident and now I’m googling how to unlock myself out of the ending
There was a note down there behind one of those huts like the other one you were asking how to get past earlier, that pretty explicitly tells you what you need... though it doesn't tell you how to find it.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think I had about 120 hours when I finally finished it (which was close to 100%ing it - I missed a few spots but I was being fairly thorough overall). I don't really understand how people are getting like 60 hours without even doing Stormveil yet though. Like it feels you'd just run out of stuff to do in areas that are reasonable to get to by that point.
You can creep through a whole ream of side dungeons and/or "minor" legacy dungeons (like Morne) for quite a long time and the only real hard limiter to wanderings without wrong-warps is, like, the final handful of areas in the game that are gated by needing 2 Great Runes. Granted, if you're strong enough to clear the majority of Caelid you should probably just go ahead and deal with Stormveil already, but it's not like they make you.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Kin posted:

So did the nerf the mimic tear by basically stopping it from using flasks?

I'm trying to do that Dragon lord fight at the end of the game and spotted that no matter what it's not healing itself.
Mimic Tear used to have a "phantom flask" that would heal 30% of its health.
The nerf took that away, lowered its max health multiplier slightly (not that much, though), and cut its damage potential (it used to scale up to like 2.4x your own damage, now it's flat 1.0x).
It should still be capable of using healing spells, though you might have to mess with its loadout to make it more likely to use it.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

Just gave beast clergyman the last of the tuber he so loves and never had him go berserk on me??
If you give him multiple deathroots at once at the part he's supposed to go berserk (around five), you'll skip it, as I understand it.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Harrow posted:

Yeah, it’s the range that makes Moonveil so good. I’m not convinced it’s truly broken anymore post-nerf but it is definitely really really good.
It's a little funny catching up on the old part of the thread from launch when you were certain Moonveil was going to be nuked from orbit.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Blue Raider posted:

I’m not so sure about Melina. I’ve seen people speculate she’s another daughter of Marika with an uncertain father, but I’ve not seen that myself.
She has a lot of optional talks at sites of grace (frequently churches) where she specifically echoes the words of Marika. She talks of her (unnamed) mother inside the Erdtree when asked her purpose. At the Snow Valley Ruins, she has this to say:
"There is something I'd like to say. My purpose was given to me by my mother. But now, I act of my own volition.
I have set my heart upon the world that I would have. Regardless of my mother's designs.
I won't allow anyone to speak ill of that. Not even you."
Nothing's ever made explicit, of course, though her internal name in the game's files is "MaricaOfDaughter", as well.

With the undercurrent theme of "twins" in this game, and the shared closed eyes of the two girls, many think she may be a twin/aspect of Ranni. Melina's weapon, the Blade of Calling, also happens to look a bit like a Black Knife without the extra growths (it's not exactly the same, mind, but it's the only other dagger that curves to a point in such a fashion), which could be related to Ranni enchanting the assassin's daggers with Death.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

It shows Marika turning into Radagon as they shatter the Elden Ring.
Notably, Marika's Hammer's description notes that Marika used the hammer to shatter the Elden Ring while Radagon used it to try and repair the Elden Ring.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Concurred posted:

it's lordran, or drangleic, or lothric, or yharnam, or boletaria, or sengoku japan
turns out it's just verdite

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Wouldn't surprise me if he had a hidden bonus to aggro.
You have to earn a title like Loathsome.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
fp obviously means 'from points'

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

I definitely get the impression that that the defeat of Greater Will and destruction of the Elden Ring was Marika's endgame all along. Stuff like Night of the black knives, Melina having a mission to burn Erdtree, Godfrey getting sent to outer lands only to return just in time for final showdown etc seems very pre-planned to make sure someone gets a shot at killing the God.
As ever, we kind of have to work from scraps and fragments, unless someone goes and nabs the setting bible from From.
From Marika's own words (as conveyed by Melina):
"Hark, brave warriors. Hark, my lord Godfrey. We commend your deeds. Guidance has delivered ye through ordeal to the place ye stand. Put the giants to the sword and confine the flame atop the mount. Let a new epoch begin. An epoch glistening with life. Brandish the Elden Ring, for the Age of the Erdtree!"

"I declare mine intent, to search the depths of the Golden Order. Through understanding of the proper way, our faith, our grace, is increased. Those blissful early days of blind belief are long past. My comrades; why must ye falter?"

"My Lord, and thy warriors. I divest each of thee of thy grace.
With thine eyes dimmed, ye will be driven from the Lands Between. Ye will wage war in a land afar, where ye will live, and die."

"Then, after thy death, I will give back what I once claimed.
Return to the Lands Between, wage war, and brandish the Elden Ring.
Grow strong in the face of death. Warriors of my lord. Lord Godfrey."

"O Radagon, leal hound of the Golden Order. Thou'rt yet to become me, thou'rt yet to become a god. Let us both be shattered, mine other half."

They're not necessarily given in chronological order, except the two that deal with creating the Tarnished are necessarily one after the other, and equally necessary that both of those be after the subjugation of the giants. Her speech to Radagon appears to me to be the last, given the state of Marika/Radagon by the final fight. I merely posit on when Marika's intent to search the depths of the Golden Order came - it could be the true turning point for her, as she may have come to realize just how bound to the Greater Will she was, and began taking steps to alter the current set-up. If we work with the supposition that Melina was given her purpose by Marika, then she's supposed to burn down the Erdtree (but not snuff out life with the Frenzied Flame), and you, the Elden Lord-to-be, are meant to defeat the Elden Beast. Dunno that killing the Elden Beast kills the Greater Will per se, especially if we work with the hypothesis that the Frenzied Flame is at least an aspect of it as well, but it might be enough to sever the link to the Lands Between. Given Marika herself is shattered and must be mended to truly brandish the Elden Ring in the Elden Lord endings, it seems perhaps a gambit to try and establish an Order free from the Greater Will's influence? There must be something in it for Marika if her original intention is to still end up with an Elden Lord after having the dominos fall.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Harrow posted:

Can crossbows be free-aimed like bows? I haven't actually tried them out yet.
Yes, though it's slightly less intuitive because you'll automatically 2-hand bows first if you try hitting the attack button while one-handed, while crossbows can be fired 1-handed when loaded. All you need to do is 2-hand crossbows to free-aim them.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

whalestory posted:

drat no way!!! :wth: Storm wall felt better to me than golden parry and yet.. how can i argue with a chart...
At minimum, Storm Wall is at least super easy to pick up early on without jumping through any particular hoops.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

7c Nickel posted:

Lore Stuff

I feel like a lot of people are over anthropomorphizing the Outer Gods. They're almost more concepts than entities with plans and ambition. Maybe I'm just overly negative on Marika, but almost everything seems to be poo poo because she and the other demigods are constantly cheating and injecting loopholes and hacks to the "source code" of the Golden Order. Stuff like Destined Death needs to be sealed away to maintain their immortality, but she also periodically unseals it to use as a weapon, leading to all kind of fucky stuff. The Greater Will doesn't seem to have a problem with Goldmask's purely mechanical Order because it's less interested in controlling everything directly more interested in the concept of Order being ascendant.
The issue I have there is that the Greater Will doesn't really have a "problem" with you marching in and enforcing the status quo Age of Fracture where exactly zero things are "fixed", either, and you still kill the Elden Beast for the Age of Order. Plus, it means that Marika setting up the Tarnished to come back and become Elden Lord long before the Shattering, banishing people who prophesize that the Erdtree will be burned down (i.e. adding them to the rank of the Tarnished), and deliberately setting up her "punishment" by Shattering the Elden Ring herself - it's all just done arbitrarily, like a dog. She doesn't periodically unseal Destined Death, either - the first time it is used since its original sealing, it's stolen (regardless of Marika's overt hand in the affair), and directly afterwards the Shattering happenings and Marika is confined inside the Erdtree. That doesn't even touch on Melina's role as Kindling Maiden assuming she is indeed Marika's daughter, since that also means that Marika planned to torch the Erdtree, or the possibility that the Frenzied Flame is part of the Greater Will, even as a concept, which is in opposition to simply restoring the Lands Between.

The Greater Will might not be strictly an entity with any elaborate plans, but Marika has some unspoken ambition and pretty much engineered the entire plot to begin with, and I feel like she had plans.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Bold Robot posted:

Are there enough Walking Mausoleums in the game to dupe every Remembrance, or do I need to pick and choose?
There are a total of seven Walking Mausoleums in a playthrough, and a total of fifteen Remembrances. There's a little bit of an additional wrinkle: the two bell-less ones in Liurnia can't duplicate demigod Remembrances, of which there are seven total.

Pick and choose the ones you think are most interesting, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Ice Fist posted:

Just watched the speed run. In spite of my bad post about the patch being used, it was real cool to watch. And his reaction at the end was pretty cool.
It's a neat showing of something being technically possible (given the right hardware and patch), but I'd expect exhibition speed-runs will mostly focus on other categories.