Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

Foul Fowl posted:

but i only died once to either boss so i'm sure that helped a lot in enjoying them too.

Yeah so the death run on placidusax soured me really quickly. One of the many instances of timewastey, bad game design when a developer decides to just, not use their checkpoint system properly or at all.

E; had the wrong dragon name in the post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

crepeface posted:

it'd ruin the lore to have a stake of marika there.

i seriously believe this is why they didn't put any in farum azula

oh word, so they were adhering to lore? makes sense

shuffling through notes

oh, wait, no, bad game design in order to enforce lore is still bad game design

C'mon, anyone defending the decision actually knows this on some level.

It's actually compounded coming from Sekiro as my first FromSoft title, because insufficient endurance on any runback through enemies means the Tarnished has to stop running to jog and wheeze like they do chasing down the Elden Beast.

I didn't even mention the flow breaking platforming on the placidusax runback, because it mostly mitigates my stamina gripe.

If you're designing bosses for a notoriously difficult video game franchise and expect a plurality of players to die to them a lot, you should mitigate any potential time wasted putting attempts on those bosses. This is not World of Warcraft circa 2005.

Zwingley fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 6, 2022

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
It's not just placidusax.

I have no doubt they're doing better than previous entries in the franchise; averaging everything out Elden Ring is better about it than Sekiro was.

I had a lot of fun with the game! When I have two hours of free time a weeknight and maybe 8 on a weekend day, 150 hours is a shitton of enjoyment, and I'm still going back for more.

That doesn't mean I'm going to give the game credit where it isn't due.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

crepeface posted:

literally no one is defending it

Yeah I may have propped up a strawman there as far as this discussion goes, rereading some of these posts. That I apologize for.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
On my NG+ run I optimized everything and got almost all of Rogier's dialogue--stopped right before the conversation about his nap--before burning through the Radahn festival and Nokron to get to Ranni's body and grab the Cursemark of Death with minimal world refreshes to hopefully show him before he fell asleep.

Alas

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
I'm supposed to be able to summon D for the mariner in summonwater village, right? Where on earth is his summon sign? Not the first time I've had this problem between generally being blind and the signs not loading in properly on ps4 until you're standing on top of them

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

War Wizard posted:

I've never heard of that, but why would you bother? It's probably the easiest fight with a boss health bar.

Sorry, it's not an issue of being able to beat the mariner, I'm just trying to see any dialogue I might have missed my first two runs through the game.

The wiki says he's available, but I sure can't figure it out

E: ah, so it's reading comprehension that I'm struggling with. Appreciate it, lol

Zwingley fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 18, 2022

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

War Wizard posted:

You're probably mistaking his dialogue up the hill. He has no summon there, but should be easily found by the road between the merchant and the ruins. But if he's at roundtable already then you missed your interaction.

He actually moves into the village immediately after you whack the mariner, which is probably what I was after

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
You can take a pot shot at one of the knights from the top of the lift leading up to Niall's room and he'll almost always turn and teleport right to you, for the record

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
Doesn't it just stand to reason that if you set a tree on fire by the foliage it will take awhile for the flames to spread

And that the first things that will burn as the flames eat further down are things that are similar to foliage, like, say, thorns

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
So I got curious and decided to go for a sequence break. What exactly is the trigger to despawn the plot barriers in the capital? I just killed the nerd who put them down.

I guess for the record I haven't even agreed to buy a used car or whatever from Melina yet, so that's probably the hangup

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

Chevy Slyme posted:

That's almost certainly the hangup; the trigger for the barriers is probably acquiring the medallion to activate the mountaintop of the giants lift, which Melina gives you when you chat with her after killing Morgott, which in turn, I assume that conversation is being gated by the horse chat.

That's about where my self-taught intro-to-game-design sense led me, so, appreciate the response!

I was half going for at least getting frenzied before I ever talked to her; I didn't even know there was another barrier down there! What the frick, Morgott.

I guess I could try the speedrun Farum Azula skip, kill Maliketh, and then double back, maybe, if the latest patch didn't gut that into impossibility.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

Tolth posted:

You can't get past the "You need 2 great runes" gates outside the capital without having Melina with you.

The sequence break I did involves jumping down from the divine bridge site of grace, and leyndell was fully open to me, but the walls Morgott put up in front of the merchant pit and the path leading out east are both still there.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
Following up on my own microsaga, despite minimal speaking to Melina (you hafta agree to the pact, decline or accept the roundtable prompt, and then trigger the mountaintops conversation to make the capital gates go away, as expected) she still chews you out and fucks off the instant you rest after surrendering to the flame. Even if you're sitting down at the forge to light the stupid tree up.

If I feel up to it next time I guess I can try and finish Malenia without resting, do the wrong warp to Farum Azula, and give myself a poke to see if she'll be upset at that point.

e: I did successfully lock myself out of the roundtable hold though!

Zwingley fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 24, 2022

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
iirc the triggers are beating Margit or resting outside of Limgrave, so, you're bound to do it eventually

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

Sindai posted:

Interesting, I got it when I rested at the grace immediately before Margit, though it may have been after he killed me the first time.

You're probably right and you just hafta attempt him instead of actually kill him, come to think of it

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

It's wonky to hit them sometimes, but I'm sure I found some on that catatomb with black auras that didn't fully die even after hitting them when downed, only when my weapon was infused with holy.

I think the weapon you hit them with when they're down needs to do some kind of nonphysical damage, but it doesn't need to be holy.

Granted this information comes from the weird very early parts of my very first one, where I could only finish them by bonking them with a torch when they were down, or so it seemed. The rules I intuited may not be totally accurate

E: necromancers are definitely an exception

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
I guess I just quite literally couldn't hack it with my uchigatana, then :v:

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

Aurubin posted:

The best part about there being confirmed other places outside of the Lands Between is imagining that it's just fantasy Wales. That's why Godfrey got got on the outside, big fish in a small pond.

nah, cant be fantasy wales, all the names of places are pronouncable

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
Doing that and having forgotten to spend your radahn runes is a great way to get really, really good at killing the tree cancer demons

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
surely the mimics are just fishing

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
Are there any crucible knights that respawn anywhere? Finally getting the hang of their parry windows but they won't stick around :smith:

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
Anyone who thinks shields aren't useful needs to go kill Moongrum exclusively with melee r1s

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

You can also guard counter with the shield if you two hand it. It’s not good. But you can.

why would you do this when you can double shield. block with one shield, guard counter with the other

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
It runs fine on PS4, though the load times leave something to be desired

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

Criminal Minded posted:

I can probably live with load times, honestly. If frame rate worries aren't a big issue that'd thrill me, because I'd love to be able to at least start the original game before the DLC comes out. I was on twitter when Elden Ring dropped and everybody I knew was having the time of their lives. My buddy got me into Bloodborne recently (favorite game ever, single-handedly revitalized my dormant interest in seriously gaming) and then Sekiro (jesus CHRIST!). I still have to finish Bloodborne (gotta get Old Hunters before the final bosses) but I might have to pull the trigger on PS4.

I did my first Elden Ring playthrough on PS4 and nothing chugged nearly as badly as, say, the crowd of monkeys in Sekiro. I think it'll be fine for you

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
if you aren't running heal specifically for revenants

...why, actually? nevermind where else this could have gone

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
The arbitrary (looking at the world map) difference in level between Caelid and the Dragonbarrow is one of my favorite things in the game due to how opaque it is

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

Skippy McPants posted:

Volcano Manner and probably a bit more besides. The recommended level range for Dragonbarrow is like 80-100. Stuff there is scaled something like four times higher than the rest of Caelid.

Edit: for example, the Night's Cavelry in Liurnia give 5,600 runes. The one in Dragonbarrow gives 42k.

Let's not forget killing Caelid's legacy dungeon-less Great Rune Haver and then going to the dungeon in his arena to get kicked in the dick by a copy-pasted boss that gives only 6000 runes less than him

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Sellen is probably a wizard serial killer, with the "probably" coming from a shaky vote of confidence from Thops + the vague possibility that it's a case of mistaken identity.

There's really no mistaken identity possible when it comes to Lusat and Azur suddenly disappearing

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Lusat and Azur didn't "disappear," they were driven away from the Academy, presumably for poking into the same forbidden poo poo Sellen's into. They're her co-conspirators, not her victims.

I meant disappear from where you find them, sorry. Y'know, when Sellen talks about bringing their bodies back to the academy.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

No Dignity posted:

Two shardbearers (Radahn and Rykard to avoid extra bosses), at least one getting into Leyndell, Godfrey Shade, Morgott, Fire Giant, Godskin Duo, Maliketh, Gideon (technically counts), Godfrey and Radagon/Elden Beast by my count?

you can skip a leyndell boss (and i think the shardbearers even) if you do the exploding tear drop from the divine bridge

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

Listerine posted:

What is this?

https://youtu.be/tvaMTZnzYC8?si=t5l860XUArcBM2wg

My parlance was especially hamtongued, it's better known (I think) as the divine bridge skip.

Basically using the exploding tear and a jump attack you can reset your fall distance

Zwingley fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 12, 2024

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
Unfortunately, commiting such boldfaced progression fraud causes Melina to answer in kind, and she locks you in the Morgott arena until you talk to her

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

a primate posted:

Yea that fight is absolute balls without a solid summon to run interference for you. You can’t parry two knights at once.

My wizard with a mace was having a hell of a time so I gave up. Planning to come back when I have the mimic tear.

It's not that hard to keep space from one of them, the AI usually cuts you a break there

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
Anyone have experience troubleshooting multiplayer problems? I'm presently the only person in my cadre who can see (and therefore use) the other two players' gold summon signs, whereas exactly a week ago we could all round robin just fine. As far as I can tell nothing's changed other than the passage of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

UnbearablyBlight posted:

Not sure if this applies outside PlayStation, and it’s probably not the issue since you can still see them but you should all check your NAT type and make sure it’s type 2.

Other than that, you’re using a password, right? If not, it could be a level incompatibility thing.

Sometimes the game just bugs out and decides you don’t get to see signs. Everyone should log out, close app, etc. and then load back up.

Thanks for this!

We're on Xbox and we did all the troubleshooting steps we could find: NAT types checked out, we always use a password and none of us had changed it, in areas where we all have bosses alive (this was what almost all Google queries pointed to), etc etc.

Honestly I'm encouraged to hear that sometimes it just sucks.

The weirder thing was that duel signs were working fine among all of us. :iiam: