Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Gonna go for pew pew magic laser beams. No idea what class that will be, but it's been my go to for DS 1-3, and is always fun to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

JBP posted:

You're the most powerful monster in Sekiro it rules.

This. You have no stamina bar. Your attacks are relentless and unending. When the enemy finally decides to get an attack in edgewise, you shut them down brutally with a parry/counter/face-kick and go right back into keeping the pressure up. You are in control of the fight and you make the enemy react, rather than the other way around.

There are some rare attacks that you need to dodge or that are worth dodging, but dodging is a quick dash to evade, followed up by immediately attacking again.

I remember learning this lesson against the illusion summoning lady early on in the game - by constantly sticking to her and keeping her on the defensive, she was never actually able to pull off the summoning. By constantly parrying her attacks and keeping up my own attacks, I filled her stagger bar incredibly quickly and ended the fight much faster than when I was still treating the game like a Souls game.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

If I preorder the game on steam in the next few minutes, can I refund it later today if it turns out that my PC is too much of a potato to run it?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Rusty posted:

Yes, if you buy it on Steam and play less than two hours.

Thank you all for the quick replies!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Zore posted:

There are some shorter casting spells and some with longer casting time that are worth it. So far I've only really found about 3 spells I regularly use;

Glintstone Pebble- Starting spell with fast cast time and unfortunately your bread and butter because there are no other spells that do the damage/FP or have the same short cast time. Really stands out as it still absolutely outperforms a lot of slower casting spells because... ?

Carian Slicer- the sole exception to lack of short cast time/damage per FP. Holy poo poo will this melt enemies if they give you an opening to whale on them. A bit situational and melee but really damaging and every swing after the first doesn't have any cast-time start up.

Rock Sling- Kind of eh but has 2 major uses; 1) it does physical instead of magical damage and gets a damage boost from the early OP staff you can find. 2) Using it against enemy NPCs is hilarious because they dodge when its cast so it usually hits them as it has a slight delay before it starts homing to fire out. This makes it amazing against NPC invaders or most of the Gaol enemies.

Every other sorcery I've found has been some hot garbage (Homing Glinstone does less damage, costs more and takes longer to cast than Pebble for a mediocre tracking boost, Glintblade Phalanx is really expensive and does jack poo poo for damage, Crystal Barrage is shooting a machinegun of insanely weak shots and uses all your FP to do gently caress-all damage, Crystal Burst is just a worse version of the Wave spell that doesn't pierce, Ambush Shard is just too expensive for what it does (wrecks shielded enemies) but it at least does decent damage and is hilarious)

There's a farron flashdart and a great magic arrow set of spells that are actually quite good. The farron flashdart equivalent replaced glintstone pebble for me, while the great magic arrow equivalent became my heavy hitter to kill big enemies/bosses.

Edit: I should also add that adding more INT really, really, really helps. My current loadout is 2 healing flasks, 5 fp flasks, a magic rapier, the gravity staff, and then flashdart, flashsword, greater soul arrow. It's been working very well for me, though I did do some, uh, nonstandard? exploration. I ended up going way off to the next few zones before I went back and finished off the first area.

Dirk the Average fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Feb 26, 2022

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Scoss posted:

I finally found a Sorcery that you don't start the game with that I would call unambiguously Great.

Night Maiden's Mist, from a sorcery vendor near Sellia. Put out a huge silvery fart cloud that ramps up damage while enemies are in it.

I think this type of spell has been in a lot of past games, but it remains very strong against large and slow moving/stationary enemies or in conjunction with chokepoints.

I've been sorcing my way through the entire playthrough, sans some melee combat here and there on mooks to save mana (there's a guy that drops a high level halberd at some point, and that thing is wonderful - so much better than the piddly rapier, and even replaced my trusty whip), and a lot of the spells are quite useful, especially once you get the FP to start throwing them around a bit more. I'm currently running with 20 mind and 6 FP flasks, and that's been more than enough for virtually everything.

Gonna spoiler my current spell loadout:

Swift Glintstone Shard: Casts fast, deals with lots of little enemies, super FP efficient. My go-to spell for much of the early-mid game, and still has uses in the later areas
Great Glintstone Shard: Workhorse for non-dodgy enemies that have to die right now and/or tighter spaces. Efficient and lays on damage very quickly
Carian Slicer: Farron Flashsword, but absolutely amazing and tears through almost everything. If I have to melee something and I need it to die, this is what I use. Also doesn't bounce, so very effective on stony enemies
Loretta's Greatbow: Has an absurdly long range (I think about 2x what other sorceries have), equally absurd damage, but a very long charge. Excellent for sniping overworld encounters and cheesing the everloving poo poo out of many bosses/hard enemies
Rock Sling: Stupidly powerful spell (still using the meteor staff) that does physical damage, has great tracking, and staggers enemies. Absolutely a gamechanger. Can't always use it, and it does have problems when the meteors smack into things, but holy poo poo is this my main boss killing spell, and it works decently on dodgier enemies. Amusingly, also has really good range since the rocks don't poof like magic does, and they can still hit things as they fall out of the sky
Glintstone Stars: This spell sucks in terms of FP to damage, but is amazing when it comes to enemies who sidestep. It'll hit with all 3 shots every time and there are enemies in later areas where you will be super glad to have this spell around
Ambush Shard: Shoots an enemy in the back, theoretically bypassing shields. In practice it only works when they're walking towards you, but for the rare situations you need this, it's really helpful.

I also have a rotating free slot that I swap out as needed. Right now I have Terra Magicus in there for the spell power boost when cheesing fights, but I'm tempted to try out some of the other spells I haven't given a fair shake yet.

Even if you don't hover over the spoiler, that's 7 spells that I use on a regular basis, and one floating slot (I have 8 slots total at the moment). There's a lot of great sorcery out there, and many of the spells absolutely wreck the crap out of bosses. It can take a little while to get going, but once you've got the tools you need, you're off to the races.

That all being said, the single biggest thing that makes sorcery work is (location/item spoiler): The meteor staff and rock fling spell located in Caelid south of the mine in a swampy area. This gives you an S scaling staff that is the equivalent of something like +12 or so, and one of the single most powerful spells in the game that I've seen thus far. Had I not found these things early on in my playthrough I would have a much lesser opinion of how sorcery works

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

the manor is an amazing zone but I straight up don't like being here

Yeah, I feel that. Snuck/sprinted my way through 90% of the encounters for very good reason.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Scoss posted:

I stumbled onto that item very early on after being spirited away by the fun chest, and I have had that spell for a while, but I have not been respecting it at all. I tested it a bit and immediately put it away when it didn't seem to be outpacing pebble spam, in addition to having a very slow cast and the tracking frequently not working well. I'll give it another shot.

It's not FP efficient, and really isn't what you use to clear areas. It's your kill button against the big enemies and does absolute wonders against bosses.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Filthy Haiku posted:

I’m starting to really despise playing int, spells rarely feel potent enough for the cost and there are surprisingly few weapon options I like. Seems like if you’re int you’re stuck doing various forms of blue kool aid damage while faith can dip its toes into fire lightning physical and also get better support spells. Just about the only thing I like about int is the cold infusion, which makes my plain old scythe very potent. It still scales better with dexterity though.

But I want to do that quest line for the darkmoon greatsword equivalent and become the next great frost witch who ends the world :(

In short, int sucks, be smooth brain

I've said this a few times before in the thread, but Int gets really, really, really good. Sure, you basically do magic damage and have one physical spell, but you get so many cool little tricks for doing damage in various ways that can hard counter or cheese enemies outright. You do have to pump int pretty hard though, and get mind up to at least 20 (and it turns out that FP actually scales better post 20, which is nuts). I'm currently rocking around 61 int and a staff that's better than the early game one (finally!), and have started to one-shot some enemies that are worth 1k+ souls from way outside of their aggro radius. poo poo is hilarious and only gets stronger as time goes on.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Harrow posted:

So after all my magic ranting I think I'm starting to see how the game expects you to play as a caster. In short: I don't think you can be a full-time caster, no matter how hard you try to lean into it by having rock-bottom Vigor and pumping Mind and Int as high as you can. I just don't think the game's encounters are built for it.

Those big AoE spells with the long cast times that I said were impractical? I'm not so sure anymore after seeing videos of people using them. Sure, they're not great in a boss fight or a small room, but if you run into a group of enemies in the overworld while on Torrent? poo poo, round 'em up and then explode them with a magical mortar blast. Want to do some casting against a boss? That's what your spirit summons are for--they take the heat off while you dump some FP into some nukes. Or you can get potshots off with glintstones while keeping your distance while you learn the boss's moveset. But ultimately I think you're meant to also have an Int- or Faith-scaling melee weapon--that's why there are so many incredibly cool ones (like Moonveil) an ashes of war that can scale your weapons with Int/Faith all over the place.

No matter what, if you're a mage, you're a "spellblade" build, with a toolbelt full of situational spells that are bad in a lot of situations but just what you need in others. The extremely situational nature of spells also makes sense with how you gain memory slots by exploring and not by investing in a stat--you're meant to be able to memorize a lot of spells so you always have the right tool on hand.

That said, this is all coming from outside observations. I'm not playing a caster myself on this playthrough (though Moonveil has me thinking of respeccing to Dex/Int so I might head that way eventually!). I'm just going by what I've seen other players do, and what seems to make sense with the design. Someone who has gotten really far on a caster can and probably should correct me if even that "spellblade" style still feels bad or the big, slow spells are still not as good as they look even if you're riding around on Torrent lobbing them at mobs of enemies.

Been playing as a caster the whole time, and yeah, you can basically go full caster after a certain point. It's certainly really nice to have a backup weapon for cleaning up mooks, but it's not strictly necessary; Carian Slicer and Swift Glintstone Shard are wonderful low FP options for cleaning up stragglers, and there's some equipment/talismans that help conserve FP pretty nicely. If you use those sorts of spells as often as possible, reserving small chunks of FP for the bigger threats as needed, then you're just fine to do the vast majority of the encounters with solely casting (I did the stormveil castle this way, for instance).

You do need a healthy MND investment (20 is a good breakpoint), and a fuckton of int so that your spells are reliably 2-3 shotting enemies.

I'm not sure why you're calling carrying around a bunch of different spells a "spellblade" build though? My typical loadout sees one melee spell, 1-2 utility spells, and then 5-6 different ways to blow people the gently caress up depending on the particulars. I do swap spells based on the target very frequently - the situational spells are fantastic for that.

There are a couple of big slow spells that are quite good, either because their range is utterly absurd Loretta's Greatbow, they're just an all-around wonderful workhorse with great range, tracking, damage, and damage type Rock Sling, or their damage is nuts Comet spells in general. I love being able to bring exactly what I need for any given set of encounters, and I'm looking forward to finally getting to the point where I can actually invest in MND again so that I can start really having fun with some of the more hilarious and hilariously expensive spells.

That all being said, I did carry around a rapier/whip and later swapped to carrying around a halberd, and I do use it frequently on enemies when I don't feel like casting spells on them.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

pentyne posted:

Aren't there a bunch of weapons that damage scale with INT as well? I've got a handful of weapons I can't use because of INT requirements being as high as 18.

Yes. Also, the scaling from the magic ashes of war isn't bad either. My halberd does way more magic damage than physical damage at this point. Eventually I want to round out my stats so that I can use some of the niftier looking int weapons.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

ymgve posted:

I think there should have been some message from your bonfire girl the first time you die to Margit, about how you aren't strong enough yet so maybe go explore a bit around Limgrave. The signposting forces you directly into his battle early, which I think is a mistake. Alternatively, have her pop up before crossing the boss gate the first time and ask if you're really really sure you're ready for this.

Amusingly, this actually happened to me. I unlocked the teleport to the round table by dying to Margit, and then happily hosed off for way too long until I came back and wrecked the poor bastard.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Good lord, just got to what feels like one of the last areas of the game the haligtree area and good loving god is this game starting to piss me off. It starts out so well, and then it just devolves into the laziest bullshit known to man as it goes on. Why sure, I'd love to fight wildlife with thousands of health that take off 1/3 to 1/2 of my bar even through 50 loving vigor and crucible knight armor. Why not put YET ANOTHER loving area with extremely narrow pathways and enemies with nigh-infinite range who have been leveled up to the point where they have a fuckton of health and will, again, do roughly 1/3 of my health per shot. Also why not put in some zombies that aren't much of a threat (until they use their bullshit grab attack), but have too much health and serve as tests of my patience instead of any sort of ability.

I'm beginning to remember why I rarely finish Souls games and tend to do the early portions of the games over and over with new characters. The first 75% of the games is wonderful, and you feel great when you can do some cool trick here or there to trivialize certain encounters or enemies. You are consistently running into new things and learning how to deal with them. Enemies that are fragile and super hard hitting are actually fragile and hit hard. Enemies that are tanky aren't super tanky, but do take more hits than other, similar enemies. It feels like you can do the right thing against the right enemy, kill it quickly, and move on.

Then you get to the endgame and it doesn't matter anymore. Everything is tanky. You can upgrade your stuff to +10/+25, put 70 points in your offensive stat, wear talismans to boost you up, and none of it matters. The "fragile" enemies are still tanky as gently caress and they hit like a truck regardless of how much armor you have on. The "tanky" enemies are walls of meat with many thousands of health and will happily take off 2/3 of your health if you have the temerity to barely mistime anything (and again, 50 vigor with crucible armor and no talismans that make me vulnerable - I have by no means been neglecting my defenses!).

Yeah, I'm still making progress, but so much of the areas remaining for me to progress have become really unpleasant. Enemies went from one guard counter -> stagger -> crit, to having to do that 2-3 times (and way, way, way more than that in some instances). Instead of one eye laser to snipe a fragile ranged enemy before they get a drop on me, I need 2-3, and now they and their friends are blowing me up in response.

It's just... eugh. I want to see the end of the game, but man is this becoming a grueling slog rather than a fun process. And I do want to stress that I have been loving the game up to this point and will more than happily make new characters to go through the parts of the game that are actually good.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

JBP posted:

You can kill the haligtree zombies with two or three hits what are you trying to kill them with lol.

Coded Sword. It's not that I can't kill them, and it's not even that they're particularly bad, it's just that there's yet another loving set of zombies. They're not even a neat variation on the theme - some of the previous zombies have mixed things up by exploding or doing other stuff, and these just kind of do nothing but exist and be vaguely threatening piles of HP that take time to kill for zero reward and present no risk or threat unless I let them sneak up on my while I fight an actual enemy. They were an interesting gimmick several times in the past, and they've more than worn their welcome out by now. If they're just there for flavor, they should have relatively little HP and die to a stiff breeze, because as it stands they're just there to waste my time.

That Dang Dad posted:

I'm on my second run already and having a blast, but I'm also really hoping future installments show a little more growth and innovation. "It's Artorias, but this time he's FASTER and there's TWO OF HIM" is only so exciting so many times before you're like "Yeah okay, so now what?"

And yeah, you've summed up my feelings pretty well with this. I've loved the game up to this point, but at this point it's just not innovative in the way that the rest of the game has been.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

This i pledge: I will beat this game while still loving it

Honestly I probably just need to take a break for a day or so before jumping back in. The latter parts of Souls games are always more challenging (often in intentionally bullshit ways), and there's only so much of that I can take before it starts to really piss me off. Unfortunately, I chose a very specifically bullshit series of things to tackle in a row (unintentionally; I didn't know what they were before diving in) that would have been manageable individually.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Finished the Haligtree area and while it was very pretty and incredibly neat in many ways, the enemies were loving awful (4 of the loving teleporting hand-guys? really?, then a knight a handful of chumps and a loving tree spirit all at once? the yet another loving putrid tentacle bullshit thing but this time in rot, oh and that's after yet another loving rot swamp infested with the loving crawfish with infinite range staggering web bullshit).

And now I'm on the boss.

I think my problem with Malenia is that she's breaking the cardinal rule of the Souls series - the player has limited resources, and the enemy has limited health. It's fine if the enemy can spam sorcery indefinitely, doesn't have a stamina bar, and can gain infinite poise at will for no loving reason, because their health bar is limited and they're just running an AI script. And for most enemies, health regen is something that you can knock them out of or pressure them so that they can't have it.

Malenia, though, heals on every loving hit. And it's not for a trivial amount, and she heals just as much if she hits your shield (and also you can't bounce her weapon because gently caress you) as if she hits you. And so the fight settles into a grueling slog where you have to slowly chew her down and dodge everything lest she start healing back up. And if she were a strength character, this could be forgiven. Give her slow telegraphed attacks with a couple of mild telegraphed gently caress you things or zoning mechanics like rot zones and she'd be fine - a harsh enemy that you have to play carefully around and chip away at.

But no, she's a loving dex character with goddamn infinite range stabs, moves like she isn't currently rotting away into pieces, triple teleport bullshit aoe stabs, and while she can sometimes be staggered, she frequently decides that she now has infinite poise, so gently caress you now you die. Oh, and that's phase 1, by the way, and you have to slog through that bullshit every loving time to start to learn phase 2, where she now starts doing a massive dive (which isn't that bad, but punishing her for it is not trivial), can summon a bunch of bullshit and then teleport stab you because why the gently caress not, oh, and she still has the triple aoe bullshit from phase 1, and she still heals on hit.

And it's just... not pleasant. It's demoralizing because your progress resets with every mistake, and your resources slowly dwindle down until you die (or she just bullshits you to death through 60 vigor, that happens too). It's not a fun fight because it's not a fair fight. She doesn't run out of resources. She doesn't have to think about running low on FP because you've gotta bloodhound step through infinite waves of bullshit to not only not die, but to not lose your progress by getting clipped by anything. She doesn't run out of stamina and will happily chain her super moves back to back to back until you gently caress up once and she chews through your entire 60 vigor health bar in one combo.

I'm getting to phase 2 consistently and I've gotten her down to 25% health or so (not that that's a good metric - she was back to 40% by the time she killed me) before running completely dry on FP (33 MND, 8 blue flasks), but it's aggressively not a fun fight. I will not feel a sense of accomplishment upon beating her, because that's gonna be contingent on her not deciding to chain her infinite bullshit moves back to back until I die.

And really, it's the same thing I was complaining about earlier with late-game Souls enemies. The numbers go up. They keep going up. In the early game you can scale up to match or exceed that, and in the late game the game tells you to go gently caress yourself. Not only are you fighting two of the enemy you fought earlier (and that one might have even been a boss encounter!), but now they've got extra friends, and triple the health and damage. And sure, you can beat that, but it's a normal encounter that respawns. If you die, you get to do it again. And again. And again. And you can and probably will die because you're doing 3rd person platforming with no double jump, grappling hook, or other mobility tool that makes the platforming fun or anything beyond barely tolerable. And if you don't die, great! Now you get to go fight the next room, which also has a bullshit encounter, and if you die here, guess what? You get to go back.

If they're gonna add more enemies to make the encounters more interesting, they need to not scale them up quite so loving hard, because when you do both, it's mentally draining to go through the fight, and even more mentally draining to know that you're gonna have to do it again. I've actively started skipping out on exploring every nook and cranny because of how much of a pain in the rear end it is to get anywhere. And it's a shame, because some of the areas are really pretty and there's some cool stuff to do and see, but man is the game starting to really wear out its welcome.

And again, the entire game up to this point has been wonderful and I will happily replay most of it with new characters.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Well, I beat the rear end in a top hat I was struggling with. Ended up just spamming Hoarfrost Stomp over and over until they died. Wasn't exactly a fulfilling fight, but it worked.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

If I could make one nerf to Malenia, I'd remove her heal on hit from everything except her super attack and buff her HP by like 50% or so. Then you could bloodhound step or similar to dodge that one attack, and your solution space for dealing with the rest of the fight is greatly expanded, since you can now block/guard counter/whatever without her healing off of it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

satanic splash-back posted:

Wow yeah the best way to make a totally unique boss better is to make it like every other boss in the game, can't wait to hear what other ideas you have.

Still a unique boss with a unique mechanic, just actually doable in a way other than needing to dodge literally everything. And if you are dodging literally everything, then she is, in fact, identical to every other boss fight.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

There's a statue pointing down to a catacombs right on the edge of the Capital and I can't figure out how to get there. I thought maybe there was a path to follow back from the secret Haligtree path but that doesn't seem to be it?

There should be a path leading to a lower area nearby. I think it's behind you as you look at the statue.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Phenotype posted:

So yeah, was anyone kinda underwhelmed by this "big" reveal? Usually when a story throws in a plot twist like that, it's something where you can go back through the whole story and it recontextualizes everything about the character, like when you find out the guy in the interrogation room narrating everything is actually Keyser Soze, or when you find out Bruce Willis was dead all along and maybe all those times where you thought he was talking to other people didn't go like you thought they did. But Radagon... I dunno, he married Rennala and then left her and married Marika, for reasons that weren't clear before and are still unclear now. Especially given the fact that he apparently has some sort of will of his own that doesn't coincide with the "main" Marika, like how he's trying to repair the ring and she wants it broken.

It hits as just another bit of vague weirdness in a vague, weird plot.

Oh, huh. So it was Radagon that married Rennala? I couldn't keep the characters straight and thought it was Radahn that married Rennala for some reason (the reason is that everyone has the same loving name). That whole plot makes a lot more sense now.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Foul Fowl posted:

malenia is fun precisely because she's so difficult and punishing. brass balls to put her in the game, and then make her heal on hit.

My problem with her is that every boss in the series has the trivial solution of "dodge everything, git gud." What I enjoy about the game is finding some thing to exploit to make the fight not about dodging everything, and utilizing the vast toolbox these games throw at you to make different fights easier in different ways. It's fun and I get enjoyment out of feeling a bit clever when I trivialize a fight that would otherwise be extremely difficult.

The problem with healing on hit isn't even that she heals on it, it's that she heals on blocked hit. So then the only way to deal with her is to not get hit. Then she hits absurdly hard, and you can't interrupt her attacks, so that only reinforces the idea of just not getting hit. And then she has a massive combo attack that will heal her for a huge chunk of health, so it's not like you can even try to trade with blocking; your only recourse is to, again, just not get hit.

So in the end it's not really a satisfying fight for me. You have to just not get hit. It's the same strategy that works on everything else. It's difficult, but not insurmountable (especially with bloodhound step), but it's also just kind of not exciting? It also doesn't help that a huge chunk of the difficulty of the fight is how often she decides to use her super move, so when you do win, it can really feel like the game just kind of decided to give it to you this time around.

I don't know. Maybe I would have enjoyed the fight a lot more if I were playing a dex build that emphasized parrying/dodging instead of a faith melee/caster hybrid. It wasn't fun to have the vast majority of my toolbox made completely useless.

Now, if I could use Sekiro to fight Malenia? I'd enjoy that fight immensely. Mikiri countering the thrust attack, parrying her combos, and just generally clowning on her once you get the timings right would have been incredibly fun. But at the same time, that's Sekiro's entire schtick - you are expected to dodge and counter everything, and you've got the tools to do it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Vermain posted:

i think it's mostly that there's nothing even remotely comparable to both the damage and safety hoarfrost provided. there's certainly a lot of high damage options out there you can use to melt bosses, but hoarfrost was unique in coming out fast and dealing excellent damage, so the probability of your level 30 speedrun character getting splattered was minimized

Also worth noting that it's available incredibly early into the run, and the unique weapon that it's attached to upgrades with somber stones, so it's just the perfect storm of early availability, easy upgrades, and all of the power that you mention.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

No Wave posted:

The lake of rot tree spirit is honestly just there as a joke. People call a lot of content optional when it's only technically optional but that one really is not a fight anyone should feel any need to take.

Isn't that where Millicent's quest terminates? You need to kill the spirit if you want to finish her quest iirc. It also was the easiest one of those fights for me because I could just confuse its pathfinding and kill it from range.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Boba Pearl posted:

A meteorite staff will boost Gravity Sorceries by 30%, so take whatever your current scaling is, and add 30% of it. At 70 int that's 344.5 so let's say 345 for my brain.

+10 Carian Regal Scepter does 330 at 70int
+10 Azur does 300 at 70

+10 Lusat's does 364

The meteorite staff, when using gravity spells, out damages almost every other staff, maximally leveled in the game.

But you can have the meteorite staff in one hand and cast from the stronger staff in your other hand if you want the best of both worlds and don't mind sacrificing the weight/equipment slots.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

i disagree! but i figure we're at an impasse here until miyazaki says in an interview "yeah this is exactly what i meant by this questline" though so we should probably just table it

Is there any way to kill Pidia and then see if Seluvis is still alive? Not sure if he's in an area that's protected or not.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

No Dignity posted:

Women in From games just don't have poise because they all leveled dex, this is normal

Nepheli is pretty good at the dual wield axe smashing thing, but I think we only get to see her fight once, sadly (unless you're some sort of monster).

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

You know what I'd like to see? Scavenger hunt competitions. You're given a list of items to find and you have to route it out on the fly.

There are bingo races that people organize for various games where you have a given bingo card with different objectives in each square and need to complete a certain number of rows/columns to win. Hell, I've even seen them for Mario Maker 2, where the players were trying to find specific types of levels (maybe find a dev exit, or a level where you finish with Yoshi, etc.).

I'm sure people will come up with fun Elden Ring bingo cards at some point and do some races.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

withak posted:

If I was working on this video game, I would silently patch in something that make these glitches possible but unreliable. Like when you successfully trigger one there is an 80% chance you get shoved enough off-course enough that you can't land in the right area reliably. Or you get a 50/50 chance of a royal revenant spawning at your landing point just before you land.

Depending on the category, they'll pick whatever patch is best. That being said, there's usually at least one category based on current patch, but it depends heavily on the game as to which categories are the most popular

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

loquacius posted:

So I've done everything I can find in Limgrave and Weeping Peninsula and am now staring down the barrel of Castle Stormveil and am just unbelievably intimidated by this fuckin castle

I got all the way into the tunnel and then decided that was enough for tonight, getting strong Boss Vibes from this tunnel and I'm not starting that grind right before bedtime

You should be fine. Most people had issues with Stormveil because they just ran face first into it before doing anything to become stronger. Getting around to it with some weapon upgrades, a better flask, and other sundry advantages is what the area is tuned around.

Also, if you run into any major issues, level up your vigor. Getting HP is incredibly powerful and makes up for lots of mistakes.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Flytrap posted:

how

how did you make it here with sub 1k health

this is the final boss

you're not even using the big dick spells or heavy armor

what did you put all your points in

I'm reminded of a co-op against Radahn where I did about 3/4 of his health by spamming rocks, and then he turns towards the host and hits them for 540 damage. It was a one-hit kill.

Always be leveling vigor!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Yeah, Rogier just sells you some stuff and gives you breadcrumbs. Nothing he does is actually critical to finishing any quests as far as I can tell.

I did have a hilarious glitch where he passed away, and then I triggered a different part of his quest chain and he revived just long enough to give me a letter before passing away again. Sadly I only got one copy of his hat.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

boloney posted:

100% agreed with his boss fight criticisms, especially the combo extensions. He doesn't show Morgott in the video but he is far and away the biggest offender - he can tack on his like 9-hit "oh your guard is broken" punisher combo onto literally any of his other moves. The video guy is right that it simply becomes a dice roll on trying to punish enemy combos and the game often doesn't reward you for trying to learn patterns

Yeah, and I feel like he's spot on with the Sekiro comparison. Long combos and combo extensions are fantastic in Sekiro because you can respond to them and your response to them depletes their stagger bar and progresses you through the fight faster. In Elden Ring, the long boss combos are just kind of boring. If you're playing a mage, they're fine, since you can just throw a summon at the enemy, then blast the poo poo out of the boss while your summon tanks all the long combos for you. If you're alone though, it feels like you don't have that many windows to actually do damage.

If they're gonna keep going with the super long combo enemies, they're really going to need to add some way for us to wear the boss down by engaging with them and avoiding their damage.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Zalakwe posted:

I have what is likely an extremely dumb question.

I have a summoning bell, my spirit summons were working, why are they now all greyed out and unusable?

Spirits can only be summoned when the little purple tablet icon appears, which is location-specific. Note that you can summon once per area each time you rest, so you can summon in a field before a boss, and then summon during the boss just fine, but if you summon in the field area, and then your summon dies or despawns, you can't resummon in that field area until you rest.

Summoning also cannot be done when you're doing multiplayer content, including when you've used a furlcalling finger remedy, even if you've started the boss without actually summoning anyone.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Ball Bearing Hunters are real ball busters tbh, crazy range on their jedi sword if you try cheesing them with Torrent, hyper armor out the rear end, and of course they hit like a bulldozer.

The big trick is that you have to delay your roll between dodging the first and second slash. They do two pairs of slashes, and then one further hit, so dodging them isn't that bad once you've got the timing down. Just avoid panic rolling and retaliate at range and they go down fairly swiftly.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

not that i'd ever want to change from software's behavior in any way shape or form but if they ever did one of those statistics charts like bioware or ubisoft i'd love to see the percentages on how many people even touch the pvp versus how many people just play through their games single player because anyone someone's like "but dark souls 2 had the best multiplayer in the series!!" it's like wow i'm so happy for the 5% of people who give a poo poo

The small white soapstone was great. Helping people out through a few trash encounters was often a lot of fun and a good way to get some extra stuff without needing to go through a boss encounter, and then the normal soapstone was also an option, especially for when you actually wanted to co-op on bosses specifically.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Mulva posted:

It's actually just magic, but whatever makes it fun for people.

This. Sorcery is stupidly powerful, and having a powerful spammable ranged option trivializes the majority of encounters in the game.

You can even dual wield Wing of Astel and a Shamshir with minimal stat investment for a melee option. And Wing of Astel has a very good ash of war for certain bosses and enemies. There's also Moonveil if you want a katana, though that does require significantly more stat investment, which might not be worth it if you primarily spam spells.

But yeah, the sheer variety of sorcery on offer in the game gives you tools to kill pretty much any enemy with no real issue, and some enemies can just be straight up deleted with the right setup and Comet Azur. Even just spamming Rock Sling with a Meteor Staff will carry you through most of the game, only swapping over to a better staff in your main hand. Most magic resistant enemies are weak to physical damage as well, so it's a great option for dealing with enemies that would otherwise be harder to take down.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Has anyone else gotten mileage out of Night Maiden's Mist? I decided to try a night sorcerer and I'm kinda shocked at how ruthlessly this spell melts enemies. It takes a little caution because it'll hurt you if you stand in it, but if you're in a situation where you can throw it out and back off a bit it just blitzes both crowds and single mobs. Are there any other spells that do likewise?

It's pretty great for cheesing certain tough enemies as well. Those greatbow snipers in that one Caelid catacomb have a couple of spots that are particularly vulnerable.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Faith has an answer to everything, usually a half dozen even, and access to every element and status effect in the game. You'll never go wrong investing heavily in faith, and it starts paying off super early.

True, faith is good and versatile, but I argue that Int is superior in most respects. There are only a scant few enemies that properly resist magic, and they're mostly in one location in the game. You can easily get access to Rock Sling beforehand, and the enemies that are resistant to magic get shredded by Rock Sling (honestly, most things get shredded by Rock Sling - it's a pretty ridiculous spell). Terra Magica is a great boost if you're up against a tougher enemy, there are charged spells that can scale with the relic/flask that boosts those for some downright sickening numbers as an opener, there are the Night spells that enemy AI doesn't react to, and the various sword spells that hit like a truck. And, of course, Comet Azur + flask will delete a good number of bosses.

And like I said, the stat investment for a lot of the weapons that scale with Int are fairly minimal. You also really only focus on one element, so you can toss everything into magic boosting unless you're in the rare situation where you need to deal physical damage instead.

And on top of all of that, the spell costs for many of the sorceries are relatively low, which makes it very viable to use to clear out large groups of enemies while adventuring through new areas. You can pick off a lot of ambushes before they even start.

The main downside of Int is that you really need to invest in it. If you're going for sorcery, you need to pump Int up to high levels so that spells start doing significant damage. The upside is that you don't really need to invest in faith, strength, dex, arc, or end. You just need the minimum stats for your weapon of choice, and enough vigor and mind to be comfortable for the region you're in. You take fewer hits fighting at range anyway, so the amount of vigor you need is less than you would otherwise need, but getting 40 by the endgame is still a really good idea. Granted, the other other downside is that the Queen's hat looks silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

When should I stop dumping into arcane and what should I dump into after that

Max Int, Max Dex, Moonveil the world in twain. Or just spam all the spells.