Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Sekiro has the somewhat unfortunate quality that fights take longer the worse and the more scared you are, to the point where not being aggressive enough can basically condemn you fight some enemies forever (or until you figure out what the game wants)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

If you want some fromsoft game hot takes I got a good one for ya

How do I tea bag in Dark Souls

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

You can kinda do it with gestures?

I'm more confused at the 'pay to win' and 'item only available months ago during an event' comments

Because no souls game has ever done either of those things

There are excellent bm gestures in Souls but nothing quite like a teabag. Maybe repeatedly doing patches squat in DS3 though idk if that works. The best options in DS1 are the 0 estus shrug and, of course, throwing poop.

DS2 had limited item reskins, there was one for each of the DLC releases. They appeared in the chest in the Majula basement that usually has a soul vessel. Can’t remember what they were, I think one was a white version of the blacksteel katana?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

huh posted:

How are the English language names of various characters/creatures etc. arrived at?

For example Seath. Or Logan. Or Patches. Are they English versions of Japanese names? Like, why Undead Burg? Why Burg? Was that a translation? Or does From have such a mastery of English that they can choose just the right words that the tone is often perfect?

What is the process?

They’re English localizations of Japanese names modeled on English-language fantasy.

Fuligin posted:

more specifically im pretty sure he was reading some dank Glorantha runequest poo poo, which was always a lot more popular in japan than europe. there's a ton of little references and thematic elements in ds1 to it

Quelaag is Cragspider

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Volte posted:

Can someone remind me where that thing is actually mentioned by name in game? It doesn't have a boss bar or any unique items associated with it as far as I remember. I guess it's in the lore somewhere, or someone's dialogue? It's been awhile since I've done a proper playthrough of Dark Souls where I read everything and talk to everyone.

In the game data it’s named LakeBeast, lol.

There’s some fun stuff hidden in the names the game data uses too. i.e. Bed of Chaos is KingIzalis, Quelaag is Cragspider, Gwyn is FirewoodKing, Dusk is Stateless_princess, Laurentius is Magician_of_Pot

Forgot my favorite, the bloated toxic hollows in the painted world are called Husi(=undead)Congestion

skasion fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 18, 2021

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

WarpedLichen posted:

I thought Kalameet from DS1 was a pretty good fight.

Yeah he’s excellent. I don’t think they really topped him in the mid size dragon weight class.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

These games aren’t intended for no-hit runs. Yes, you can do them that way if you care enough, but you can also do them with a guitar hero controller and nobody would argue that that’s what they’re made for. All the souls stuff is about repeated failure and the cycle of life and death. The games want you to die a lot especially if you play alone, so it’s fine that there are people who just want to play them like that and therefore always play offline. Imo it is weird that some people insist this should be mandatory for everyone though. The relatively wild, unstructured, literally invasive quality of multiplayer in these games is one of the biggest draws and probably Souls’ most important gameplay feature, and they obviously want to carry that through to ER. Even if they still want to bias PvP very hard towards the host like in DS3 so their game doesn’t drown in a flood of pubbie tears.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Control Volume posted:

IMPORTANT QUESTION: will we still be able to have the worlds dumbest arguments about game difficulty?

None can prevent this

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The best thing about invasions is seeing how people respond. Some hosts get super defensive and stall things out. Some get gung ho and have no fear of death. Some hide and troll. Etc. imo weenies who try to min max all day and do the most efficient everything and hangout 1v1 duel everyday ruined this

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Demon’s Souls has the best invasions of all the souls games. The levels are best suited for it, the incentives for participation are strongest, and if you really don’t want to deal with it you can always cast Bye Bye Bitch instead of pulling the plug. Getting invaded in the other games is often more like an inconvenience. Getting invaded in DeS is more like waking up in the night because someone just kicked your door down and started smashing all your poo poo into splinters

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Call Beyond kind of sucks unfortunately. Useless in tight spaces, useless against fast enemies, and even when you do find a time and place to use it, it still burns through bullets way too fast. Augur, blacksky eye, executioner’s gloves, tiny tonitrus, and accursed brew are the real good poo poo.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

acyclicity posted:

I'm not actually sure what the precise differences are between SofFS and vanilla DS2 (I've only played the former). All I remember is watching someone play through Iron Keep in vanilla, and it looked way easier because there wasn't a horde of Alonne Knights following him everywhere.

There’s loads of small changes. They added a bunch of statues. The ruin sentinels weren’t blocked by a statue in the original so the “normal” progression through Bastille was different. Same in Dragon Aerie and Tseldora. The dull ember used to be in Iron Keep not Bastille so it was mildly harder to get infused weapons. There was no shortcut bridge to kick down in Wharf, that was a long rear end runback in vanilla. There weren’t Heide knights all over Heide nor was there a dragon blocking nega-Ornstein. No ogre in the river at the start of Forest. There were no pursuers in Bastille, just the two locations in Forest, one in Iron Keep, and the NG+ one in the castle. There weren’t any invisible guys in the ruins part of Shaded Woods, just the lion men, and there weren’t any falconers either. Dragon Shrine didn’t have the non-aggressive/honorable dragon men. Forlorn invaders were a new addition, bunch of other new invaders too. Bunch of items got moved around (most memorable one for me, you can now get Grand Lance really early but in vanilla it was only available in the giant memories way at the end). Sublime bone dusts are now found in chests guarded by Syan knights where they used to be scattered around. Also Aldia himself obviously.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

i only played through the vanilla version of dark souls 2 and the first expansion and i've never felt like i missed out on much not going through the other two expansions or giving scholar of the first sin a try

The other two expansions are pretty good and worth playing imo. But the base game can be exhausting

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Maiden in Black remains the best level wife

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Millwood axe is a weirdly good looking and satisfying weapon. I like how it isn’t over-the-top big like a bunch of the other strength stuff is. Also you can get it really early and it does kick rear end damage

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Looks like a rapier with a fancy basket hilt

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Why did they call him Big Hat Logan?

At first they just called him Hat Logan, but then he named his son Hat Logan as well

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I’m going to jump my horse off this path

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Sum Gai posted:

Man, I know there's been erosion and such, but still- how many people died just trying to walk from point A to B on this thing back in the day?

First day at Senpou Temple, trying to figure out how to get from my cell to the meeting hall when there is a thirty foot wide infinitely deep gap in between. Elder monks just laughed at me and exploded into centipedes when I asked. Please help

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Fromsoft need to make another first person dungeon crawler. Not that I’m not fond of the crazy character action direction they’ve been going lately but give me something slower and more atmospheric/claustrophobic pls

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Gologle posted:

How does anyone sleep with a giant glowing tree outside their windows at all hours

https://youtu.be/wN7sL6q5Og4

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Missed the video but I hope any soundtrack this game has sounds eerie or off kilter. Getting sick of these games having fancy orchestral scores. Give me something weird

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

the music is making me think its a skyrim mod i mean i know it isnt but lmao what if

If TES 6 isn’t based on Souls combat then what are they even doing

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Item Getter posted:

Did the other games have any options to turn off HUD elements?

Yes

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

and the series still hasn't caught up to DS1

Hard to catch up when you don’t do anything tbf

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

I think reusing the same animation every time a player character jumps is lazy. Jump animations should be completely random every use.

Also, they should have the wiggly scout legs from TF2

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

It’s totally possible to play some of these games as a stealth guy, for the loose value of stealth in these games as “sometimes taking out one guy with a backstab before the rest of the group aggro”. Easiest in Demon’s Souls where the Thief Ring is right there. Any zone where the enemy is snipers becomes much easier. The cloak spell in DS1 is also pretty good. Anor Londo archer knights and Duke’s Archives with all the channelers are no danger at all if you’re invisible. I’ve never tried in DS2 or 3. The Bloodborne base game is too easy to need blue elixir but it can come in very handy in deep chalice dungeons.

The downside of stealth magic is that if you can cast it you can probably also cast magic missiles that do 250 damage, so why not just throw caution to the wind and do that then

skasion fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 20, 2021

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

drat, that’s nuts

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Oh drat I really dislike the look of that crafting system

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

People need to stop making jokes about how this game will be bad and like an Ubisoft game because their jokes are making me cry

I would guess from its location that Mind replaces Attunement/increases your FP. Arcane is probably for a third type of magic, pyro/dark or whatever. Maybe Bloodborne style off-beat magic tools

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

Also it sounds like weapon arts are back but maybe not tied to specific weapons this time--the narration mentions special moves that can be interchanged between weapons.

Yes, this is known, they’ll be more like the special attacks in Sekiro

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Charliegrs posted:

It looks like it might be possible to customize the horse (or whatever it's called. Yakul I think?) In the early parts of the trailer it looks like we've see it before but later in the trailer it has much bigger horns? Perhaps it's wearing a helmet? Tell me I wasnt the only one that noticed that.

There’s different mounts I think

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The chalice dungeons are among the best things about Bloodborne, they just needed way way more development time. Like a year more just devoted to content for them

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Dabir posted:

screenshotting this for when it turna out to be a dump's to fire...... you're welcome ;)

Elden Ring: it turna out to be a dump’s to fire

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I really hope you can ragdoll into these things

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Been really impressed with the outfits they’ve shown off so far. I hope this game doesn’t end up like DS3 where most of the outfits are loving ugly and/or can only be found in the back half of the game but also only if you fulfill xyz condition that isn’t mentioned anywhere in the game. gently caress that, give me some clothes you assholes.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

They’ll probably be premade chars you can select on the network test

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Looks like it’s back to bells for the miracle catalyst

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

network test premades≠actual game starting classes. The DS:R test had Black Knight as a premade for example

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Arcane probably influences item discovery as well. It did that in BB