Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

After years of not trying them because I have a pretty low frustration limit, I got super into soulsborne games over the pandemic and have now been condemned to elden ring hype. I really liked the many-armed guy sneering at you as a 'lowly tarnished', will make it very satsifying to eventually murder him.

As for GRRM, I don't really have strong feelings about him one way or the other, but I kinda suspect the extent of his involvement was being given a chunk of money for his name to appear in the marketing and maybe like two pages of notes. That's just me speculating though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

It's interesting because both my friends who are super into soulsborne games made the same complaint about Sekiro - think their issue was that the way posture worked made boss fights feel like a slog rather than an epic duel.

I haven't got around to Sekiro yet so I don't have an opinion on if that's a hot take or not.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

VideoGames posted:

I have had a weird experience with the bloodseksouls games in that for vast majorities of them I have stumbled through with what feels like either a ton of luck, or a second mind actually doing the controlling of my fingers while my upper mind watches me and it all happens. Some bosses I arrived at and beat first time without even realising what was going on (quite a few goons watched me do this and some were just as surprised as me).

I think sometimes you can really fluke a boss on your first fight with them. I almost killed Ludwig first try and then didn't get him to his second phase the next fifteen tries. It's weird.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

VideoGames posted:

Absolutely agree. I have just played all the from games from beginning to end one after the other (BB-DS123-SEK-DeS) and the amount of times I walked into an area and just beat them was weirdly high though. Some of the first times are: Gravelord nito, belfry gargoyles, Burnt Ivory King, dancer of boreal valley, Soul of cinder, and Enshin.

I want to play through the games again, in the same order, and see what happens :) Hopefully a year of soaking in the skills works out well.

I'm in the middle of doing that right now. Played DS3 in March because I wanted to give the series a go after being put off by the difficulty and it clicked really quickly. Finished Bloodborne last week and now I'm pretty early into DS1 - just fighting Quelaag right now.

I miss the speed and boss design of the later games but the level design is blowing me away so far. Slipping down further into the sewers while fighting the big rat or creeping through blighttown, going down a giant tree and finding this sea under the earth is so cool.

Really hope they recapture some of that in Elden Ring.