Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Beat Margit and went to the round table place to spend my runes. Ended up in a fight with an invader who does WAY more damage than Margit did. Can't find a way to get the runes out. Is there one? From some Googling I'm pretty sure the answer is no but I figure I'd ask.

It's really frustrating because From games are normally really fair, and normally when there's a cheap trick it's something that you can just keep in mind and avoid the next time around, like the barrel that gets kicked down the stairs in DS1. But this time the trick is that they straight-up tell you the area is safe when it isn't, and the punishment is your runes are gone forever?

EDIT: Nevermind I beat him. It wasn't as bad as I thought, though it was... weird. Whatever AI they use to make it seem like another player made him react differently to the stuff I did, so rather than adjusting my strategy every time and slowly getting closer and closer to victory, I basically just did the same thing over and over until it worked. Which took a while since he killed me in two hits, but eventually it worked. So it wasn't as big a problem as I thought, it was just boring. :geno: Someone please tell me there's no more of those.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

BasicLich posted:

spend those runes as fast as you get them and be sure to use your consumable runes to fill the gaps. you had an opportunity to level up safely right after you killed Margit because he's one of those bosses that spawns a site of grace on defeat.

Sorry that the roundtable hold isn't what you hoped it would be

I wanted to use them to buy stuff and then level up with what I had left.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Can anyone offer any tips for predicting the Crucible Knight’s stomp attack? I’m currently working on beating one and trying to do lots of parries, which is super cool and really fun. However, the stomp attack is an absolute killer for me. The animation is so fast and so, I don’t know what the right word is, low energy? It’s not the animation I would expect for a stomp that cracks the ground in a huge wedge in front of him and deals half my health from far away. So it’s really hard to tell the difference between the stomp animation and a normal step forward in the short amount of time between when the animation starts and when the attack happens, especially when I’m focusing on his weapon for parries. Any tips?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Ariong posted:

Can anyone offer any tips for predicting the Crucible Knight’s stomp attack? I’m currently working on beating one and trying to do lots of parries, which is super cool and really fun. However, the stomp attack is an absolute killer for me. The animation is so fast and so, I don’t know what the right word is, low energy? It’s not the animation I would expect for a stomp that cracks the ground in a huge wedge in front of him and deals half my health from far away. So it’s really hard to tell the difference between the stomp animation and a normal step forward in the short amount of time between when the animation starts and when the attack happens, especially when I’m focusing on his weapon for parries. Any tips?

For anyone else who is having trouble with this, I figured something out. If you focus on the knight’s chest, you can keep an eye on the foot while still being able to tell when a weapon swing is incoming. Don’t ask me what to do about the fire breath though.

Anyway, I just beat the crucible knight in this Eternal City of I Forgot What It Was Called that I got sent to by one of The Four Belfries. I figured defeating it would give me another one of the special keys to unlock another one of the belfries, but nothing happened, and I can’t see anything else to do here. What exactly am I meant to do in this place? Is there something I will need to do here later?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Oh, that’s super anticlimactic then. Well, thank you.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Information on Spirit Ashes is frustratingly scarce. Which is better for inflicting bleed: Avionette Soldiers or Fanged Imps?

I would also appreciate alternate suggestions for bleed-inducing spirits but they have to cost less than 85 FP and ideally less than 65.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

7c Nickel posted:

Fanged Imps are hard to beat as far as economical spirit ashes go. Doubly so if you want bleed.

Maybe Vulgar Militia if you really don't want the Imps? Two of the five Demi-Humans have bleed weapons.

I'm not sure that there are any others in the range you described.

Imps sound great to me, the little fuckers sure are fearsome enough when they’re not on my side. Thanks!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I’m a huge fan of any ash I can refer to as “the lads”. Demi humans, any group of soldiers, wandering nobles, all good.

Yes! My go-to ashes up to this point has been The Boys (wandering nobles.) The more individuals I can summon at once, the better. Are there any ashes that give you more than five?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I need a hint. I’ve been in Nokron, Eternal City for some time. I’ve defeated Mimic Tear, Ancestral Spirit, and Regal Ancestral Spirit. Since then I have wandered around the whole area for a while and can’t find anything to do. The half-wolf guy was supposed to meet me here but I haven’t seen him. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Vermain posted:

go to the grace by the southern ledge in the area where all the ancestral followers are, and then think about where you might be able to jump

Wow, I definitely never would have found that site of grace. Thank you.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I’m currently fighting a boss called Astel, Naturalborn of the Void. It’s a very weird boss and I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around both how to hit it and how to avoid getting hit by it.

Hitting it: the vast majority of the boss floats above my head. The only parts that are consistently on the ground are its skinny little limbs. If I aim for the limbs, I hit most of the time (but they’re so spindly I do still whiff sometimes) but that makes it almost impossible to read when an attack is incoming bacause I have to turn my cameraa away from the main body. The other obvious target is the head. If I aim for the head, I can read attacks a lot better, but the head is a fair ways off the ground so the only way I can consistently hit it is by jump attacking, which obviously is not the best for getting damage off and building up bleed.

Getting hit: so basically the big problem here is that a lot of its attacks have this… I don’t know exactly what you’d call it, but basically it leaves behind glowing purple circles that do damage over and over again. The attack I have the most problems with is the one where it slams the ground and then a bunch of shockwaves come out for a couple seconds, each shockwave bigger than the last. If I roll through the attack then there’s no way I can get out of shockwave range. Another one I have trouble with is the one where it makes a big glowing field, and a few seconds later, if I’m in the field I get hovered up in the air and slammed down. If I’m in melee range when this attack starts I can’t seem to get out, though if I sprint as fast as I can toward the edge I do seem to be able to reach a point where it just does a bunch of damage and knocks me away rather than doing the whole animation.

I would appreciate any advice for this boss. I would also like some input regarding my build. Is this a good stat spread?

code:
Level: 74

V: 30
M: 11
E: 25
S: 15
D: 28
I: 9
F: 12
A: 28

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

War Wizard posted:

Have you tried a bow? Or throwing rocks at it? Deathroot can be traded in for throwing rocks.

Your stats would allow you decent bow usage, mixed with a stack of bleed arrows, poison arrows and barrage you can do decent damage at a distance. There are arrow based talismans in the gate tower in limgrave (near where the troll jumps down from) and the siege tower before the impassable great bridge in Calid.

Hmm, I do use a bow quite a bit but never tbought of using one for a boss fight. Cool idea! I’ll try it. One thing though, where can I find the recipe for poison arrows? I’ve wanted to use them for so long but I haven’t found the recipe, even though I found the recipe for scarlet rot arrows like a million years ago.

Video Nasty posted:

If you get behind his head you can jump attack the body pretty easily and dodge things by going behind him. I beat him around RL90 and did everything with the mimic tear.

Thanks for the tip. It’s been a while since I fought Mimic Tear, did it drop an item or something I can use?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Whoops, I forgot to take off my dexterity talisman before I posted that. My dexterity is actually 5 pointslower, naturally.

skasion posted:

More vigor, less damage stats. Astel can be a kind of awkward boss to fight melee, as you note he has some attacks that are hard to avoid and so you better be able to take a hit. In general, the game is much easier if you meet your weapon requirements and then level vigor above all else, only focusing on your damage stat once you’ve got enough health to survive (and ideally some upgrades in your weapon—this is usually a more important source of damage than your stats until late game). This is especially important with builds that use two damage stats because levels will be spread thinner all around. You get this awkward midgame stretch where the character is just mid at everything.

I’m interested in doing a bleed build, and my current weapon is a Blood Hookclaws. However, I sometimes switch to the Dragonscale Blade, which has a dex req of 20. I can certainly lower my dexterity to 20, but what should my Arcane be?

War Wizard posted:

The merchant in North limgrave has the recipe book. He's near the bridge. You can also buy serpent arrows from the merchant near the abandoned shack in Calid.

Thank you! Say, on the subject of arrows, are there fire arrows?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Arcvasti posted:

It's worth noting that, due to the mechanics of affinities, you actually get very little extra bleed from applying the blood affinity to a weapon with innate bleed. If you're going full bleed then occult will get you better mileage, since it will scale the bleed with your arcane without replacing the innate bleed, as well as gaining more base damage.

You could also go Keen Hookclaws with full dex and still get reasonable amounts of bleed. Especially if you add on some kind of bleed weapon buff, which will stack with the innate bleed.

Ah, very interesting!

EDIT: Hmm, looks like changing my Hookclaws from Bleed to Occult would bring the blood loss buildup from 80 to 54. How high does my Arcane have to be before Occult becomes better?

EDIT 2: Wait, the natural bleed amount on Hookclaws is 54. So giving in the Occult affinity is actually lowering the amount of bleed?

Ariong fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 29, 2023

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I tried fighting the enemies the way I normally would a couple times, but after realizing how strong and tough they were I figured I was meant to take advantage of their infighting to slip by as many of them as possible. Getting through the catacombs took a while and mostly consisted of me finding a route I could use to run through while getting into combat with as few enemies as possible, and making sure I could lose the ones that did notice me. Ultimately I nailed down a sequence that let me run by every enemy before the room with a bunch of imps, one soldier, and another solider on the other side of a window. I then nailed down a sequence that allowed me to take down the enemies one at a time. Maybe I only had to do all this because I wasn't as powerful as I was meant to be, but it was very fun. I don't remember having much trouble with the boss.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Hey, what’s the deal with Stonesword Keys? The game presents them as rare and valueable items that must be used with care, but I don’t think I’ve ever had less than I needed. I currently have 24 in my inventory and I would be surprised if I’ve even used 10 throughout this whole playthrough. Have I just been overlooking a ton of imp statues?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Wow, really? I swear I’ve seen like 8 imp locks. It’s been ages since the last time I saw one. It’s kind of annoying because it feels bad when I go out of my way to get a purple item and it turns out to be something I already have dozens of and haven’t been able to use in like 10 hours of gameplay.

Can anyone please give me a tip for jumping on the chariot at the end of Gelmir Hero’s Grave? It’s really tedious running through the same long hallways and hiding in alcoves over and over just to clip through the thing and die again and again. The worst part is that the first time I tried it I swore I got it dead center and clipped roght through, so I assumed that wasn’t the right thing to do and spent 20 minutes looking for another path.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Thank you for the chariot advice. One last question for the day: is there a calculator or somethhing I can use to determine how high my Arcane stat needs to be before Occult infusion makes the bleed buildup higher than it is with no/bleed infusion?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

War Wizard posted:

motion control emotes

:gonk:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

Those guys are adorable.

They're basically a undead slapstick troupe.

I love how they all shout in terror when they see any enemy at all.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

ninjoatse.cx posted:

What does the Arcane stat do, other than stuff that scales with Arcane? Are there any good items that need high arcane? Or is it just drop rate?

If a weapon has Arcane scaling and inflicts any mind of status effect, the buildup of the status effect will also scale with arcane. So for example if a weapon has inherent bleed, giving it an Arcane infusion will cause the bleed to scale with your arcane stat, as well as the damage. The bleed won’t be as high as it would with a Bleed infusion, but Bleed infusion reduces the weapon’s scaling. Arcane scaling allows you to increase both the damage and the status with the same stat.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

Sekiro swimming is completely hacky and bizarre and results in a variety of weird loving bugs.

Water there is built around a flat plane along the surface of the body of water. Until you've gotten Mibu breathing technique upgrade from Corrupted Monk down in Mibu village, you can only move along the surface.

When you do have the upgrade, you can now dive underwater. But what actually happens is when you dive underwater, you enter a flying state, where your controls now give you controls along all 3 axes. This ability ends at the water surface plane, and at the edges of the geometry of the lake.

But if you manage to glitch through the terrain around the lake, you can now surface outside the original plane. Which gives you full flying access in almost all areas of the game. You can literally air swim to the top of Ashina castle. Do be warned that there are invisible killboxes everywhere that will stop you from going too far out of bounds. Speedrunners who want to get to late game areas have mapped out safe routes.

This realization also explains a few other bugs. When air-swimming, the screen gets a blue filter, which means that when you are underwater, the green-blue "water" is actually a filter effect. Also, there is a particular nightjar shinobi who often falls into the moat around Ashina castle, and when in the water he retains the ability to use his attacks, and when he does so he leaves behind a bubble trail. That means the bubble trail that follows Sekiro when he swims around is actually a particle effect that appears around models moving underwater.

This is also exactly how water works in Spyro the Dragon.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I need a hint. I’ve been working my way through Crumbling Farum Azula. The latest site of grace I’ve hit is the dragon temple rooftop. When I proceeded from there and went right at the place where that weak lightning bolt dragon was, I hit a dead end with a ball bearing. When I went left from there, I hit a door with a talisman in it that led back to the site of grace. I have no more ideas for where to go.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

If the bell bearing temple is the watery one with the beastmen, that's not a dead end.

Okay, thanks.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I’m seriously running into a wall here. I’m 130 hours into the game and I really really want to like it as much as I did at the start, but jesus christ. The bosses are so samey, there is not nearly enough enemy variety to justify the inexplicable length of each area, and I kinda just want it to be over. How much longer will it be until the end?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

What do folks like for assignable ashes, anyway?

I've really been loving Phantom Slash on my Str build (with a touch of faith and dex)

Kick

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I was planning to go for the Great Club for my next playthrough. The latest update gave it holy damage and faith scaling. Is this a straight buff, or did it come with a reduction in physical damage and/or strength scaling? Does it have a faith requirement?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I’m currently fighting a boss called Malenia, Blade of Miquella. She has this one attack where she flies in the air, hovers there for a few seconds, and then flies toward you and does a few flurries of attacks. I can’t seem to figure out how to survive this attack! I’ve tried running away but she flies toward me very fast once the attack starts and I don’t think it’s possible to make enough distance. I have only used shields for parries this run (which is annoying because I can’t reposte her) so I’m not really equipped to block it. Any hints?

So far the only way I have been able to get past it is by having my spirit ashes take it, but ideally I would like to save them for the second phase.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Am I missing a trick re: staggering enemies? People online are saying the Fallingstar Beast (Selia) is vulnerable to being staggered, but I just hit it with three Watchdog’s Staff heavy attacks and it didn’t stagger. Then it charged at me and killed me with the devstating power of the side of its body brushing up against me after I dodged it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Here’s a thought I’ve been having. Artorias was my favorite boss in DS1, and I think that’s a common sentiment. He was an incredible capstone of a boss, testing you on everything you’ve learned so far and pushing it to its limits.

Well, Elden Ring feels like it was designed based on the notion that if Artorias was the best boss in the game, then the game would have been better if every boss was like Artorias.

EDIT: Well, except for the bosses that are also really huge and inside small rooms so the camera goes whipping 180 degrees constantly. I don’t have an explanation for that.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 8, 2023

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Got summoned into someone’s world to fight Radahn. Radahn froze in place for a while, then jumped up in the air for the comet attack. However, he won’t come back down. We’ve been waiting like five minutes. Any ideas?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Phenotype posted:

You're playing on mouse and keyboard? I guess I really don't know how widespread that is, but I woulda thought these games would be way easier to control with a proper dual stick controller.

BTW, there's a much better Arsenal Charm that you can get in Caelid, although you have to kill a few red phantoms for it.

For the record you can’t actually get to that part of Caelid by going through Caelid. Trust me, I spent a lot of time trying. You get there via a path that starts at Sofria River Well, which is in Mistwood next to a minor Erdtree.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Gologle posted:

With the Elden Ring shattered (by someone (or some thing)) the natural order of game and power progression is also broken.

Looks like someone hasn't been paying attention to the lore. :rolleyes:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I absolutely agree that it would be bad if there was a quest log that told you what to do next, but like... even if you're willing to put in the work there's often no way of getting to the next part of a character's story other than looking up what you have to do or getting lucky.

For example, in my first playthrough I like Nepheli Loux and watched her story with great interest. I saw her in the castle, then she gave me the talisman at the roundtable hold, I met her in the albinauric village... and then that's it. She never moved from there. Over the course of dozens of hours of gameplay I went back there repeatedly, interacted with every NPC as much as I could in the hopes that they would advance her story, but nothing else ever happened. I still have no idea because I don't want to look it up.

Honestly this is the last game series where I would expect to see people defending a design decision that results in the player's ability to attain the outcome they want being completely disconnected from skill or amount of effort.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

GloomMouse posted:

Making only major/centrally located bongraces as teleport location and keep the others as refill/spawn spots might help with that in ER. Torrent is very fast after all. Might just add tedium instead though.

What's this about bong races?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

Strong disagree, games built with the explicit intent that you are unlikely see significant chunks of their content are, generally, much better games (so long as they have enough funding that you still see enough content of some sort to make playing the game worth it).

Exploration based gameplay on the whole functionally requires content to be trivially missable by most of the people who play the game - that is what makes finding it special. It is also my favorite kind of gaming and you very rarely see games that even give a nod to it, even in genres like open world games where you'd think they would be a good fit (most games in the genre actively punish you for engaging in any kind of meaningful exploration). Now, very few games include any sort of real exploration gameplay because the themepark model you're arguing for here is definitely the dominant paradigm, but that doesn't mean it has to be or that games are better across the board for embracing that approach

I would again like to push forward the notion that there is a big gulf between "this game has secrets so you won't necessarily see all the content in one playthrough" and "this game has content that you might not see even if you know it exists and want to see it and try to find it."

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

v1ld posted:

If you're referring to your Nepheli example from the village - and without trying to be a dick or spoil things - she hasn't moved because of, to use your own words, a lack of effort on your part. Honest, you just have to explore the area some more. It's a very straightforward trigger and her motivation is in the words she says to you when you meet, which I've spoilered below.

Oh, it's you... Well, what do you make of it? What's happened to this village?
I witnessed a sight much the same, in my infancy.
The oppression of the weak. Murder and pillage unchecked.
A waking nightmare, made by men.

But this time, I'm a woman grown.
And though the suffering cannot be undone, I can still mete out justice.
Justice to the oppressors.
Let the scars I carve remind them. I am Nepheli Loux, Warrior.

I ran through this area again last week, so it's fresh for me.

I think it's amazing how we all seem to have found the village without help in the first place! It's not even on the map, being below the plateau. Shows how well ER incentivizes exploration.

Blue w my mind that Miyazaki writes all the words himself. Dialog, descriptions, everything as I understand it.

I'm not really sure what you're getting at here. I know this dialogue, I heard the latter segment many times over, and I explored the village pretty thoroughly I thought. What did I fail to put enough effort into?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

Did you talk to the other NPC in the village?

You mean the Albinauric guy who gives you the half of the medallion that eventually opens the path to the snowy area? Yes I did.

satanic splash-back posted:

He did not, in fact, explore thoroughly enough to find the source of a voice without obvious source.

From games are amazing because they have no fear of letting people flounder and feel dumb if/when they figure it out, unlike every other big name game developer.

If you disagree with me then that's fine but there really, honestly is no need whatsoever to be a smug dick about it.

v1ld posted:

She wants to mete justice to the omenkiller miniboss that caused the mayhem and will move once it's dead. If you killed it, then you hit a bug.

It's easy to miss the second bridge leading to it because you get pulled into fighting the perfumer and may not notice the bridge as you go into that fight.

I crossed the bridge leading to the rock formation that has crystals on it and a purple item (I think it was a stonesword key, but maybe it was some talisman?) and I definitely killed all the enemies there but I don't recall exactly what enemies were over there. It didn't leave much of an impression I guess.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 19, 2023

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I think it speaks to my point that the experience of the game bugging so progression on a questline is no longer possible is so very similar to the intended Elden Ring questline experience. Like, to the point that they are indistinguishable unless you look up a walkthrough, or post about your experience on a forum and have someone call you an idiot because you obviously failed to do [thing you totally did.]

v1ld posted:

There's another bridge to your left in the area at the top where you fight the perfumer in that really dark area, before you meet the person who gives you the medallion. There's a miniboss in that area to which you can summon Nepheli, though that's not required for her to move. You just have to kill the miniboss. It's easy to miss that bridge because you get pulled forward due to the right with the perfumer and it's not easily visible on the way back.

I really think I did that but I don't currently have a way of confirming. Let's just assume I failed to do it because that would be funnier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Watching streamers who have played Elden Ring for a million hours on challenge runs has been very enlightening to me as you learn just how many boss attacks do literally nothing to you if you’re simply standing at point blank range.

Got any recommendations?