Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
seems like they've incorporated a lot of stuff from Sekiro on top of it just being 'open world Dark Souls' - jumping, a little more mobility in general, stealth mechanics. everything you could want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

UrbicaMortis posted:

As for GRRM, I don't really have strong feelings about him one way or the other, but I kinda suspect the extent of his involvement was being given a chunk of money for his name to appear in the marketing and maybe like two pages of notes. That's just me speculating though.
GRRM's contribution was confirmed to be writing all the worldbuilding and background lore stuff, it was detailed in interviews when they announced it. https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/06/21/elden-ring-is-an-evolution-of-dark-souls-says-creator-a-e3-2019 It sounds like he got along well enough with Miyazaki.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I seem to recall talk of this being ~open-world, are we still expecting that?
yes but it sounds like it's going to be a very FromSoft take on 'open world', Miyazaki discusses this in the interview linked above. the press release says things like "vast fantastical landscapes and shadowy, complex dungeons that are connected seamlessly" and "on a scale never seen before in a FromSoftware title" too. i would expect more "what if Dark Souls had vast fields in it too" etc. more than anything else.

lih fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jun 11, 2021

lih
May 15, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

I have little to no familiarity with this game even with it basically only just being announced but I have no idea how the Game of Thrones guy figures into this. He wrote it? It just looks like more Dark Souls, which to be fair is enough to be worth picking up, but still.

it's Dark Souls except open world and this time they got the Game of Thrones guy to write all the background lore stuff that's going to be communicated exclusively through item descriptions

lih
May 15, 2013

fromsoft games have never been graphical powerhouses or anything and this was already announced as a previous gen game, so idk why anyone was expecting this to be the prettiest game ever. it looks fine though, just a refinement of their house style with a little more detail & better lighting that you'd expect it to have. the fantastic art direction is really what carries the look of it, even more than previous fromsoft games.

lih
May 15, 2013

the demon's souls remake certainly looks higher fidelity etc. than elden ring but the art direction is off. it's not outright bad or anything, just goes in a direction that really doesn't capture the feel of the original at times.

lih
May 15, 2013

if this was really just Dark Souls 4: Big Dark Souls i would have zero complaints, not that i have any as is

lih
May 15, 2013

first hands on impressions of sekiro/in game footage/etc. were at gamescom, two months after the e3 gameplay reveal trailer

lih
May 15, 2013

glad to have it confirmed that in addition to everything else it's from soft's foray into the monster collection genre

lih
May 15, 2013

Ulio posted:

Also he is implying you can swap weapon artes to any weapon so you can get like the dagger shadow step while wielding an axe? Not sure if he means exactly that but I guess we will get more info on Bandai's stream tomorrow.
Yeah he says this in the IGN interview too and it's very clear - weapon arts ("skills" now) are unrelated to weapons now so you can mix and match skills (of which there are over 100) and weapons rather than each weapon having its own special skill like in DS3.

lih
May 15, 2013

https://www.resetera.com/threads/new-elden-ring-interviews-with-hidetaka-miyazaki-fromsofts-largest-most-free-form-map.442033/post-67360894

another interview with miyazaki here, most notably confirms PVP and poison swamp level and discusses how the world design differs from BOTW

lih
May 15, 2013

from what they've said so far it sounds like Dark Souls combat + jumping & stealth options from Sekiro at the very least, and invasions & PVP are confirmed

here's another Miyazaki interview, this one in German: https://www.4players.de/4players.php/dispbericht/Allgemein/Vorschau/40800/84122/0/Elden_Ring.html

details:
-played a lot of open world games as research for how to make an open world game, including Elder Scrolls & GTA games, his favourite open world game was Breath of the Wild and he was also inspired by Shadow of the Colossus
-increased story compared to previous games, world will be denser with environmental storytelling than before as well as more NPCs & decisions to make when interacting with them
-"puzzles that can affect parts of the world"
-no difficulty options, but they hope the game will be more accessible than previous games due to the increased playstyle options & player freedom than before

lih
May 15, 2013

i mean Sekiro stealth is fairly simple as a system too & not as complex as a dedicated stealth game

what we've seen/has been confirmed is you can crouch like in Sekiro & that can be used to sneak around, hide in grass etc. to get the jump on enemies.

lih
May 15, 2013

Item Getter posted:

Dumb question, I hate PC specs chat but given that they are both on the PS4 is it safe to assume that a PC that can run DS3 smoothly should also be able to run Elden Ring?

unless they seriously mess something up or your PC is like, the absolute minimum needed to run DS3 smoothly

lih
May 15, 2013

yeah it sounds like The Lands Between is the whole game world, and it has six regions, each with a major dungeon with one of the demigods in it, and these major dungeons are still part of the open world. each of the regions will have smaller dungeons/castles/etc. to explore as well and there will also be a hub area that connects the regions

lih
May 15, 2013

it was confirmed in one of the interviews there will be an actual in-game map of the world, but the dungeons themselves won't have maps, to maintain the feeling from dark souls

one of the interviews mentioned that there will be some sort of system where you can receive "guidance", contextualised as some sort of blessing related to the Elden Ring, that will point you in the direction of the main path, it kinda sounded like it might be a "i'm lost where do i go next" feature but it was unclear. it sounded like the main path would also be signalled in other ways, and NPCs will also make suggestions about things to explore etc. too

it does sound like they were going for that sort of map-less navigation being a viable way to play the game if you want, just from the way they're describing the map design.

lih
May 15, 2013

there's still a few very tough bosses though. false king, maneaters and flamelurker are the main ones

lih
May 15, 2013

miyazaki clearly deliberately mandates Incorrect romanisations of all his character names just to gently caress with people

lih
May 15, 2013

here is a bunch of stuff i remember from going through all the previews earlier, some of it corrects some stuff those reddit lists got wrong:

-the bonfire equivalents are called "sites of lost grace" and look like a smaller version of the yellow thing here:

https://twitter.com/VaatiVidya/status/1431243872923885575

-the dragon-arm boss at the end of the trailer is actually confirmed to be named godrick, and is the boss of stormveil castle, which is the intended first "legacy dungeon". he has the dragon arm in his second phase only

-defeating a 'field boss' (overworld bosses) did make a site of lost grace appear in the footage but it's not confirmed that this happens with every field boss

-one of the field bosses seen was a giant dragon, similar to one in the trailer but not the same, which unexpectedly flies in to attack you & a group of small enemies in the overworld

-melina, who lets you level up & can be summoned at any site of lost grace 'has her own ambitions' and will play a big role in the story, unlike the maiden in black, the doll, etc.

-you can feed your steed to restore its health & they hope you will form a connection with it throughout the game

-you can only summon other players in 'difficult' areas that have a summoning obelisk nearby

-in some difficult areas there are more generous respawn checkpoints than just the most recent site of lost grace, and you will be able to choose whether to respawn at the last site of lost grace or the more generous checkpoint

-a new 'guard counter' mechanic allows you to attack quickly after blocking, at the cost of more stamina

-stamina is not used when running outside of combat

-you can befriend the pot guys if you want but you may have to fight them too

-you can fast travel to any site of lost grace from anywhere in the overworld, but not inside the legacy dungeons

-you can regain some health from defeating enemies in some way so you're not as limited by the estus equivalent

-you can equip weapon skills & spirit summons at sites of lost grace

-summoning spirits costs FP

-the moonlight greatsword will probably show up but this wasn't outright confirmed, just teased

lih
May 15, 2013

acyclicity posted:

Maybe if there's a proper jump button, we can finally have decent platforming segments. Nothing against such classics such as "walk along a really narrow ledge" and "step off a moving elevator", but I feel like Salt and Sanctuary (another jump-having Souls-like) did a lot more with its movement options than any of the Dark Souls games.

platforming was indeed confirmed by the previews

lih
May 15, 2013

if you look at the actual world map, it looks a bit more constrained & directed than just the wide open plains of most open world games

lih
May 15, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

that's why i keep bringing up dragon's dogma, with the bigger focus on combat stuff and what looks like a tighter, more focused overworld it doesn't really scream botw to me even though it's the first thing people automatically go to

miyazaki specifically cited botw as a big influence on the world design, but it's not just imitating it or anything. it seems more quite a bit more open than dragon's dogma though

lih
May 15, 2013

it was confirmed from the press preview a while ago that there's a new counter move you can do immediately upon blocking an attack - you can see it at times in the gameplay footage we've seen.

lih
May 15, 2013

they did say that spirits you can summon will be based on enemies, but i'm not sure if the spirit in the first pic is the exact same thing as the enemy in the second, or just a spirit of a similar enemy or something

lih
May 15, 2013

fwiw omni did get a ton of stuff right that was shown off in the trailers

but i think 'grafting' just refers to all the extra arms godrick & some of the other enemies in stormveil have, they're likely all stolen from tarnished they've hunted. you can see godrick in the 2019 teaser holding a cut-off arm too

the dragon head attack used by the second player in that footage seems to be the same dragon head godrick uses though, but i think it's likely a spirit or skill etc. gained from defeating godrick somehow, going off what we know for now anyway

lih
May 15, 2013

Rotten Red Rod posted:

They're not really fears so much as disappointment. I'm fine with it just being a new souls game, but if they've going to do open world I'd hope they'd have a justifiable reason for it. I'm not seeing anything so far that really does that. I don't think it will ruin the game, but it may end up being a missed opportunity. It'd be really sad the have From software, the people who redefined the action RPG, just copy/paste the open world formula from, well, everyone else.

I'm not saying it's not enough like Dark Souls at all, in fact. It looks VERY Dark Souls. But, like, Dark Souls needs new ideas, right? I think it's entirely possible to make a new Souls game, with all the mechanics and gameplay intact, and evolve it in interesting new ways other than just refining it. Bloodborne and Sekiro proved that. I just don't think "open world" is enough when every other AAA game is already open world. I hope there's mechanics they're holding back on revealing that justify the open world more, but, I mean, this was the gameplay trailer. That's where you SHOW stuff like that.

As for Good Stuff, the enemy design is better than ever. I love love love the weird, imaginative new monsters and bosses.

it has jumping, spirit summoning, a new counter move, stealth, a significant expansion on ds3's weapon arts, and all the open world stuff

obvious sekiro had jumping & stealth but what exactly are you wanting or expecting to see that evolves the dark souls formula further than that without being as much of a departure as sekiro or even bloodborne

'every other aaa game is already open world' is true enough but shifting to an open world structure is a much bigger shift than the shift from ds1 to 2 or 2 to 3, & it very much appears to be trying to carve its own path with its open world instead of just regurgitating ubisoft collectathons.

lih fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 9, 2021

lih
May 15, 2013

it's fromsoft doing an open world but it doesn't really seem to be drawing on ubisoft ones much at all, even botw had more in common with those than this does from what we've seen

lih
May 15, 2013

faith-based spells are 'incantations' now and include both the equivalent of dark souls miracles & pyromancies (which are entirely faith-based here as incantations, instead of scaling with both faith & int as in dark souls)

a lot of these preview videos said magic is good all-around without being OP, but incantations seemed generally stronger than sorceries

lih
May 15, 2013

reports are so far that powerstancing can be done with any two weapons of the same type that you have the stats for (no 1.5x stat requirement that was the case in DS2)

lih
May 15, 2013

AnEdgelord posted:

I think From has kinda changed the tone of Miracles in this game. They seem to be going for less of a "holy cleric" vibe with lots of golden light and more of a "animist shaman" vibe with a lot of channeling animal (and dragon) spirits.

well yes they're called incantantions now, not miracles, and there's a lot of different 'schools' of both sorceries and incantations, though there's more variety in incantations so far. each of the different schools have their own symbol which is seen when casting the spell, and on the spell's icon.

the incantation schools are based on who they're taught by according to the lore:
-Maidens of the Finger Reader - traditional DS miracles including healing etc.
-Fire Monks - traditional DS pyromancies
-Dragon Communion - spells manifesting dragon heads to attack
-Three Fingers - only one spell seen so far that uses the 'yellow flame of frenzy'
-Gurranq, the Beast Clergyman - only one spell seen so far (Beast Claw) which is an earth-based attack

sorceries so far are a little less direct & all based upon 'glintstone', with the different schools just mentioning who discovered or uses the spells, but there seems to be Raya Lucaria Academy which discovered and teaches traditional DS basic sorceries, and then four others from different schools:
-Carian Piercer (the magic sword attack) is 'used by enchanted knights who served the Carian royal family'
-Meteorite is 'used by a great white king with stone skin' and its description also mentions 'the Eternal City, now lost in ruin underground'
-Magic Bubble is 'used by wretches who dwell in underground ruins' and is described as 'ancient'
-Briars of Sin was 'discovered along with red glintstone by those exiled to the north for their crimes' and is described as 'aberrant' and 'reviled by the academy'

lih
May 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBnr8GUofQE

you can see all the magic here. there are some weapon skills related to carian sorcery too.

lih
May 15, 2013

AnEdgelord posted:

Its interesting that the edgy magic in this is blood magic as opposed to the dark magic we saw in the Souls games. I'm very curious about the "schools" and wonder if that is just going to be a flavor thing to differentiate types of spells from each other within Sorceries and Incantations or if there will some sort of mechanical delineation. Perhaps different catalysts interact differently with different schools or something. Hard to tell at this point but still very interesting.

the briars of sin spell description says it relies on faith for its power (but from what i've seen it only has an int requirement? not 100% on this though so i'm going to check for myself during the network test) so that could be one possible mechanical difference.

we know there's also going to be some spells that rely on arcane (which is just the equivalent of luck from DS3) for scaling or equip requirements, but we haven't seen any yet. i expect we might see these having their own school of sorceries or incantations too.

lih
May 15, 2013

i wouldn't expect the weapon classes found so far to be the definite list that's going to be in the final game, just a subset of it

lih
May 15, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

BTW, anyone who has had access to Elden Ring, able to answer a few questions of mine on dual wielding? Not power stancing, where you swing weapons of similar classes simultaneously, but actual dual wielding where you input both right and left hand weapons. Some of my favorite builds in DS3 and DS2 were of this type. DS3 I liked to use a longsword on the right hand (for the sturdy R1-R1-R2 straight sword moveset), alongside a Yhorm's Great Machete on the left hand. But the issue with this was that the L1 doesn't input an attack, but instead inputs a block using the YGM. Instead the left hand's light attack is mapped to L2. Now that wasn't a huge deal for that particular build, YGM heavy attacks kind of suck, and being able to hold block is very useful in the DS3 engine because it cancels out the pivot animation when you change directions too quickly, very useful tech.

But in DS2, I had a few really good dual wielding builds. I could run a Crypt Blacksword on my right hand, and a Rapier on my left hand, which gives me brutal R1 roll catches on my right hand, and a combination of chase downs and quick pokes with L1 on my left. In addition, I could perform rapier parries with L2. Similarly, in my recent DS2 playthrough with an insanely high win rate, I was using a Blue Knight's Halberd on my right and a longsword on my left, which gave me access to effectively 4 different movesets all at once. When in dual wielding mode, I had access to R1 whiff punishes, R2 roll catches, and L1 fast slashes on anyone who gets inside my halberd's effective range. And if I'd switched my longsword for a sun sword, I would also have access to L2 pokes.

Now in Elden Ring, is the latter possible? When you are dual wielding weapons of two different classes, do you have access to both weapon's light and heavy attack movesets? Or is that no longer possible, will L2 to tied to the weapon's Ash of War?

apparently for weapons in the left-hand that aren't the same type of weapon as the right-hand (so ones that can't be power-stanced), L1 is the left-hand's light attack and L2 is the right-hand's weapon art.

lih
May 15, 2013

that was talking about estimated time to only do the main quest and not go around exploring much at all to do any of the side dungeons (which are a very significant part of the game's content as shown by the network test)

lih
May 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95cTNvgo5Cs

this is the first proper footage we've seen outside the initial limgrave/stormveil region. it's apparently from the region around raya lucaria. i don't think it's very spoilery but if you don't wanna see anything new then you shouldn't watch it, it's new environments and new enemies.

lih
May 15, 2013

DS2 is fine. it's not secretly the best Souls game but it's not a terrible giant misstep either. it doesn't really reach the same highs as DS1, but also doesn't have the same lows. the main issue i still have with it is just the level design & general encounter design isn't as interesting or engaging as DS1 or 3 at their best. there's a lot of making multiple enemies aggro you at once, which doesn't really play to the strengths of the combat, and the levels aren't as intricate. a lot of the other complaints people have, like the world not having the same coherence, are understandable and certainly disappointing after DS1, but relatively minor. some of the other mechanical changes also don't work that well (such as agility) but aren't some giant deal breaker, and others work fine.

i firmly think DS3 is the best of the Souls games though, it's excellent the whole way through, unlike DS1 which falls off significantly towards the end.

Aidan_702 posted:

Why do I keep hearing “R2 attacks were rarely used except for niche situations, utterly pathetic inclusions that no sane man would make use of - a creepy little man’s tool”.

This sounds like straight up history revisionism, I used charge R2s all the fuckin time in every soulsborne. And the good old jumping attack
the guy saying that stuff in the feints video was specifically talking about PVP

lih
May 15, 2013

Electromax posted:

Spoilering this, but it is very mild spoiler - the network test map of ER was uploaded to reddit and I compared it to the gameplay video reveal slice of the map shown, the general layout is similar but it appears to be two different versions/drawings of map itself. Kind of cool to see slight differences in coastline etc, something to revisit in a month or two when the true map is known. I haven't really watched actual videos much so idk what corresponds to where on the map.

https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1487765849356316673?s=20&t=BYER5jmhAkWPItK-UqP7bw

whatever that map that person found on reddit is, it's not how the map looked in game in the network test, which was basically the same as shown in the gameplay preview. maybe it's an earlier version someone found was still in the game files or something.

edit: yeah i checked and it's just something people datamined, probably left over from a much earlier version of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbfPVCvA9QI

there's a video about that map here. it seems like it was concept art or something. there's a lot of notes on it, but they're encoded by transliterating them into yi (the script used by the chinese ethnic minority of the same name).

lih fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jan 30, 2022

lih
May 15, 2013

the DS2 DLCs have some of the best levels and bosses in the game but yeah everything is so high level that you start to run into scaling issues with the soft stat caps and maybe have to rework your build, that part's annoying

& then there's the garbage co-op focused areas too

lih
May 15, 2013

the first part of iron keep is really rough yeah, it's one of the worst areas in the game. the knights are just annoying to fight with how much they lock on to you & there's so many archers. also doesn't help that the entire thing is a boss run to smelter demon, who's one of the few actually difficult bosses in DS2. you can skip him at least, but then you don't get the bonfire for the next section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

DS3 takes the level design philosophy of DS1 and just makes the environments bigger and more intricate than before and crucially doesn't totally fall apart in the last 1/3 of the game. its level design rules idk what people are talking about

the only thing it lacks is the same sort of interconnected world as DS1, but that's an understandable absence if you think about what actually went into making that work in DS1. the levels all loop back on themselves more intricately so it makes up for it in some ways