Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
In Nioh the forward momentum of your attacks doesn't make you slip and fall (you have to walk off the ledge to drop down) so there's one thing they chose to make different from Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Yeah the Dragon is a good set piece imo and wrestling trees and chucking lightning spears never gets old for me

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Based on the video you can break enemy posture like in Sekiro or Nioh.

I think the stamina management is very similar to Dark Souls, rather than Sekiro. Maybe they added perfect blocking for weapons?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

huh posted:

What is the deal with this new style of marketing for a fromsoft game?

Simply a soft introduction for babby's first fromsoft game?

If you look at the digital manual that came with Dark Souls 3, you'll find that it's not really that new. Even the first page had a lengthy introduction to what Souls games are about.

Edit: found it

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 9, 2021

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

"See those windmills? You can go there"

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I love Sekiro and MGRR equally and if I had to pick best action game of all time, those would be on the shared top spot.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Saying you have to guess at Sekiro is like saying you are trying to guess what moves bosses do in Souls and hopefully you get it right.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Can you backstab / critical hit with a shield as a melee weapon? I tried using spiked greatshield on my right hand since it sorta doubles as a strike weapon but couldnt get any critical hit follow ups to trigger.

That said what if you switch to a dagger during crits :thunk:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Can anyone suggest good STR heavy weapons? Im currently up to Altus plateau and Caelid.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I refuse to believe this double boss in Redmane castle is beatable. It's insane. I'm at 8+ weapon upgrade but it might as well be nothing because I'm dealing 2 hyper aggressive bosses.

Should I just explore Altus instead?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You should explore some more mines and farm some upgrade materials, more like. non-uniques go up to +25, so if you're at +8 in the midgame then you could stand to upgrade some more for sure.

Thanks. I've been saving up my somberstones because I havent found a fun looking heavy weapon yet but my broadsword is really not doing anything at these upgrades. I'm going back to west part of the map and see if I can get some good upgrades before returning to Caelid.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Is farming low level enemies for smithing stones possible. I have one decently leveled weapon but I really want a strike weapon for these tunnels but its hard to catch up now that I've used up my low level stones from Limgrave.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I wouldnt think so because you can summon during the boss fight, not just before it. So you could wait till the boss is nearly dead and then summon to finish it off.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I'm convinced Radahn is supposed to be endgame boss rather than 3rd major fight because he's impossible even after clearing Limgrave and Liurnia areas.

I'm just gonna save till the very end because gently caress trying to fight him legit.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

2nd playthrough is always better than first because I can finally cheese all the bosses that gave me trouble before and I know what the hell I am doing instead of upgrading wet paper tissue to +15

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Brandfarlig posted:

Almost as if the multiple posts about "weird goons defending from" is actually mostly people going lmao at someone who claims Radahn is worse than Hitler because they're doing him at lvl 55 with 19 vigor :thunk:

You can stop punching yourself in the face at any point. It's absolutely allowed!

I have slightly over 30 vigor which is the realistic amount I can have without going to an entirely different region and Radahn can easily kill me in 1 or 2 hits from full HP.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Where are all the Trick Weapons and why FROM never brought them back. It's probably the most satisfying innovation they ever came up with.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Sloober posted:

no i won't hear any other way, it's a horsewang

one of the most difficult aspects of playing this game for me as a non-from soft guy is mostly that i'm not used to shoulder bumpers for attacks, so the first like 10 minutes was me just chugging pots and poo poo. also it's a treat to dig through this writer's articles in wonder and awe

Im pretty sure Elden Ring allows rebinding like Sekiro?

I used square button for attacks in Sekiro and it worked great.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Do we have SA group password for Elden Ring?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

My friend sells literally everything he doesn't use for runes and it's driving me crazy for no reason.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Anyone have any recommendations what I should get for my current character. I started as confessor but have been ignoring Faith.

I have a +16ish Broadsword and Brick Hammer, +5 ish Giza's wheel. Also greatshield and talisman for blocking.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Is it just me or is anyone else absolutely crap at dodging anything versus previous Souls games.

It feels like they overtuned enemies to catch you after rolls unless you time them perfectly. I never had this problem with any of the other games.

I've played ER for at least 40 hours but I have to use a greatshield to make any progress.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

God I'm just not having fun with these lord fights. The snake one is just as unfun as the Caelid one.

Maybe I'm getting old but this feels pretty annoying after Bloodborne and Sekiro.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Beat the volcano boss but man, I didn't actually learn the fight, I just upgraded that weapon to +7 (bit of a waste) and boosted my stats as much as I could so I could kill the boss before it got me.

I guess win's a win.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I just want everything to be strong so I can grind these bosses to paste and play the game proper.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Oh wow they nerfed Radahn.

Now I can probably solo the game.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Any tips for fire giant? I'm using +9 Blasphemous Blade, is he resistant to fire? Should I fight on foot or horseback?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

ChrisBTY posted:

I was not going to buy Elden Ring because in the past I tried play Demon and Dark Souls and ultimately bounced off of them because I would get frustrated and the tedium just was not worth it.
But I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Turns out all the fuss is right. I absolutely adore this game. Having lesser bosses you can beat with relative ease combined with the ability to gently caress off and do something else if you're getting stonewalled makes so much difference to somebody like me who needed 15 hours to unlearn 'square is crouch button' From Horizon Forbidden West.

In Elden Ring it's important to realize that most of the time the bosses don't gatekeep you from the stuff that truly matters, which is levels and weapon upgrades. So as long you explore dilligently you can always come back and beat majority of the bosses significantly overleveled.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Blasphemous blade owns. I mostly use faith for damage scaling and self buffs. (The best ones have pretty high requirements but do not have scaling). The high level buffs also buff your spirits which owns.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Beasteh posted:

Okay going back into Leyndell from the forbidden lands grace and getting to the ashen room with THREE loving ULCERATED TREE SPIRITS was a bit much even for a soulsgame, Jesus Christ

This has to be a practical joke, FROM cannot possibly think it's a good boss.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

god only knows what they're going to do for dlc areas

i still fondly remember my first experience with the stone giants in artorias of the abyss

I hope you like bosses with 5 health bars.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I know this has been answered somewhere but how do you get on top of the plateau in Liurnia? Above the Albinauric village?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Are any of the healing incants good and if so which ones?

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Mar 21, 2022

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Rune arcs are definitely most useful when you are either doing content you are familiar with so basically repeated playthroughs. Or bosses when you know you need those extra stats to dps the boss asap.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

You can farm rats for rune arcs so theres that.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I got Good Boy's armor set and it owns. Awoooooo

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

VagueRant posted:

I've been stomped into dust by many bosses, but I've still never encountered a worse time or more rage than Fringefolk Hero's Grave has given me (area behind the very first Stake Sword door in the intro grave).

Someone please tell me that the chariot thing doesn't respawn if you can kill it? Otherwise I'm just giving up forever.

Pretty sure its a unique enemy that cant respawn because it has 100% item drop

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

repiv posted:

also player and NPC summons were always balanced out somewhat by increasing boss HP, but ash summons are balanced out by nothing

They are balanced by bosses being absolute bastards with pinpoint accurate tracking and roll catching moves.

Yes I'm salty.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

repiv posted:

it even works if you don't have enough maximum FP to cast the summon normally

Which is why Oleg and Tiche are my best friends with my melee dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I beat the final boss at lvl 120 using my ash that is better at this game lol.

Good game but I didn't really enjoy the bosses or changes to the combat. I still prefer Sekiro and Bloodborne.