Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
The Kalevala links have me wanting to see if I won't bounce off Noita this time.

Or I could just watch this again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdfUkrbNvwA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Korok mimics.

Ya ha ha! *shank and/or explode*

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
DS2 does some things the best out of all FromSoft's games. But it also does many things the worst out of their entire catalog. Truly, Drangleic is a land of contrasts.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Isn't gating the teleport mechanic literally the thing that enables people to gush over the interconnected world aspect, the joy of discovering a new shortcut or link? The thing that heightens the awe and tension of getting lost in Anor Londo, with a trip through Sen's Fortress to pay should you decide to turn back? Giving you the teleport right at the point you need to start going back to claim the lord souls is the appropriate place for it.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
The weapon art was also kind of hilarious in pvp, just some weird charge move that stunned into a free R1 90% of the time against most people without a shield.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Sekiro's crazy good, but I think it achieves that height by sacrificing the RPG character building aspect. Without the ability to respec into new playstyles I got way less replayability from it than any other FromSoft title.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Middle-Earth: Shadow of War kind of ended the Arkham Asylum-style combat genre for me. It's very very rare that I replay games for the combat alone, but I've 100%'d the game several times now. Paper Mario: TTYD and FromSoft games are the only other non-roguelite examples I can come up with off the top of my head that have planted that "have I beaten this game in the last year or two? I could probably do another playthrough" seed.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013

AnEdgelord posted:

Weirdly we still haven't seen Miracles yet

Where's the miracle build old man

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
DS2 opinion: it did certain things the best out of all FromSoft's games, but also did many things the worst.
Bonus opinion, DS1: I can't rate this game. It's like trying to judge Super Mario Bros. 1, it is foundational to the genre. For all the jank it has (and it has a loooot of jank), it is so much greater than the sum of its parts.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Ratties could have benefited from more customization, but the idea was great. Like the Gravelords in DS1, I love PvP that puts the penalty for failure on the invader.

That said, even a single ascetic and the right lockstones in place really made it more of a "watch Goofus get murked by NG+ enemies" covenant. Janky but fun defines a lot about DS2...

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
They have, apparently, at least in the form of eternal throwing urns - via the crafting mechanic, you use urns to firebombs/sleep bombs/etc. But when you use one, the urn reassembles itself in your inventory, empty, ready to be used for crafting again.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
It's a good time to do a DS3 run as a warmup. Problem I'm facing is I've done DS3 drat near every way it can - strength, dexterity, sorcery, even a miracle run where I jumped into Ariandel asap for Way of the White Corona as the earliest possible attack spell.

I generally find DS3's magic to be less fun (if I could get the sticky exploding fireball spell early though that'd be huge fun) so I'm kind of leaning to a twin dagger or weapon art centric run. To contrast, my preferred style for just punching through the game is twohanded greatswords, claymore has been a solid friend since DS1 - great damage, immense poise damage, good range and fair speed. Any fun suggestions?

Actually thinking about it, as much as people (and Bloodborne) meme into how shield cowardice is baked into the series, I haven't felt shields to be generally good since DS1. Force myself to fatroll and rely on shields in place of DS3's ridiculously low cost rolls?

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
I was planning on replaying DS3 before Elden Ring but I guess DS2 it is first!

I'm a little sad that I lost my perfect save files on my previous computer, though.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
The Millwood knights are my personal bugaboo. And their meddling dogs, too!

Grayshift
May 31, 2013

Dabir posted:

The King of Drangleic, who doesn't really rule Drangleic, built a big castle to get to the Throne of Want, which he doesn't really want, because sexy satan told him to.

In the DLCs his brother, Jumpscare Treehitler, fills your head with enough cryptic nonsense that you can end up not wanting things either.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Shrine of Amana is one of the most frustrating bullshit experiences in Souls. Anor Londo archers never even came close.

I could handle the turret casters, I could handle the enemies hiding under the water until you get close. Even the swampy water slowdown, fine.

But hiding death pits under the water is dick move supreme. Until you memorize where they are, you need a torch out to see them. So no shield and no two-handing, if that's your style. And since you're in water, rolling puts it out too, so no rolling.

On the game's release, the accepted strategy was Lightning Spear binocular sniping - and it felt great, using lightning against enemies standing in water. Then they nerfed the Lightning Spear casts from 20 to 3.

Amana is one of the rare DS2 visual pleasers but ranks tip top for massive bullshit in the series just for how the layers combine to shut down any clever counterplay that isn't "die a lot learning where the death pits are"

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
DS3 really missed out from the scrapped bonfire-placement mechanic. I suspect every single boss bonfire was originally not going to be in the game, got added when they had to drop the idea.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
The thing is, Catacombs is intended as a fairly early area. If there's an intended path to the game, it's Darkroot Garden (Divine Ember) -> make a divine weapon to chump skellies -> Catacombs (Rite of Kindling) -> lots of estus for midgame trek from Parish to Anor Londo.

Pinwheel's famously easy because people always put him off until way later in the game. Further supported by the really easy to miss Patches bullshit that won't happen if you do catacombs too late.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
I need to buy a fresh notebook to document my Elden Ring first playthrough. I will probably be okay without graph paper this time.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
I've been using a Steam controller for ages now. The haptics pads aren't preferable to analog sticks when it comes to playing most games, but the customization options are immense and it's lasted about five times as long as my median controller experience. I bought a second when Valve was clearancing them out, but my original still works flawlessly. Makes sense build quality would be high when trying to establish a new product.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
On the flipside to say something positive about DS2, once you get the crown from the second DLC magic becomes outstandingly fun. Or sorcery at least, I never quite clicked with a miracle build. But if I had a signature spell in DS2 pvp, it was Soul Shower just for the immense combo setup potential. Was real sad to see how badly it got done in in DS3.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Skyrim's and Elder Scrolls in general go with the weird plan of "what if all of our combat is terrible." Ranged combat in Souls, whether magic or bow, feels bolted on and vestigial based on how every fight reduces to spamming spells/shots and playing keepaway, depriving the player of the complexity of the more fully-fleshed melee element. As down as I can be on Nioh, I think they did a smart thing keeping ammo counts fairly limited so ranged methods are difficult to make your primary playstyle, meant more as augment or opener.

But everything in Skyrim is equally bad so the most expedient, stealth archer, tends to win out.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Soulsborne music was largely forgettable until Dark Souls 3, I think.

DeS didn't have much, DS2 was aggressively bland. Dark Souls burns O&S's theme into your brain the first time around, and while Ash Lake and plin plin plon are both great and used spectacularly, they don't make a soundtrack.

Bloodborne has a few bangers (Maria and Gherman's themes) that unfortunately devolve into overwhelming chorus chanting in the third phase that generically "intensify" the delicate melodies and menace of the earlier phases, rather spoiling the songs as a whole for me. Holy Blade Ludwig is fantastic but it's only about a third of a full song and gets repetitive fast. Most everything else struck me as spooky atonal wailings.

Dark Souls 3? So many good songs. Iudex Gundyr, Abyss Watchers, Pontiff, Lothric. Even lesser bosses like Vordt and Deacons get outstanding tunes. Yhorm is pounding choral done right instead of blaring out of nowhere in phase 3. And Soul of Cinder is magnificent in both phases.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Something I made long ago to combat DS2's inexplicable agility jank.

Some fun facts: The formula for how it's calculated changes over a certain level of agility. And the actual agility breakpoints where you get another iframe were changed in the SotFS release. This is for SotFS, originally you needed 99 attunement and 99 adaptability to get 16 iframes.

So some classes in DS2 start with less than half the iframes of the DS1 fat roll, and no amount of stripping naked improves on that. DS2 was wildly unfriendly in many ways and it's only now that I know how to overcome those terribly rough edges through bitter experience that I can enjoy the things the game did well.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
I bought a nice little notebook just for Elden Ring. I'm going to transcribe my first entries, perhaps I'll inspire someone else to do the same.

Fancy Journal posted:

Why did I buy this? Six years ago, I was incredibly excited to play Dark Souls 3. I intended to go dex+sorcery, meaning to replicate my success in DS2. But now, looking back, I have no recollection of how that first playthrough went. The memories have been lost, overwritten, by subsequent runs. So my intention here, beyond conveniently centralizing various scratch notes & ideas that I don't want to alt-tab to my inevitable spreadsheet, is to record my experiences, impressions, reaction so they are not lost.

It is Feb. 2nd and there are 23 days until Elden Ring. It has been hard to write this - the reluctance to befoul a lovely pristine notebook has been hard to overcome. Hopefully now that my first chickenscratches are down I can more freely jot down whatever I want.

I've tried to remain mostly spoiler free, but there are a few things I've picked up.
-There's a scary horseman near the start, who can destroy buildings.
-The "firekeeper" shows up after finding three "sites of grace"
-Jumping and R2 attacks are very good for building "posture" damage. So is the shield counter.
-Magic can be charged for no extra MP cost.
-Spirits??
Presumably the Souls leveling strategy of meeting weapon min stats and then pumping defensive options remains.
-Six major dungeon areas.
-Invaders have a near-instant teleport-disengage to reset an encounter. Only co-op players are invasion targets.

Story-wise I know very little! Excited to try to piece it together myself. Tarnished, Lands Between, broken ring, rune of death, quite a few names starting with "M", erdtree.

I don't think I can play ER straight for my entire vacation so I should use downtime to mark down my experiences.

Vaguely recalled: Character editting is said to be unlimited, so don't spend too much time fine-tuning appearance at the start. First character is likely getting deleted after one playthrough anyway!

Please make a point to LABEL any scratch numbers/calculations here. You write them down precisely to not have to hold them in your mind. Of course you forget what they were for quickly.

Grayshift fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 3, 2022

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Spears are my favorite melee weapon in other media. Santier's Spear is my all-time favorite in DS2 for wild versatility. DS3 had the Ringed Knight Spear, but outside of those they're all stodgy pokes and thrusts with low damage, not the wuxia Crouching Tiger sweeping nonsense that is much more entertaining. Gimme some fun glaives, From!

But barring that, the humble claymore is what commonly carries me through the early game portion. If one shows up early in ER it's probably a real safe choice to upgrade.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
I can't remember last time I got pregame jitters like this. I keep going back and trying to figure out what starting classes I want to use; I'm doing solo and a co-op with a friend playthroughs side by side. Friend's going faith caster so I've settled on Prisoner for my co-op character, haven't been able to decide solo. Vagabond, maybe.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
I'm overanalyzing starting stat allocations like mad just to give my anticipation an outlet - it's something that only matters once the pvp level targets shake out, in any other context a few misplaced levels you just... go get more levels. So far I've concluded that Confessor is probably strictly worse than Prophet as a Faith-focused build, and unless Arcane has more going for it than just being renamed Luck, Bandit is unlikely to be a good first choice either. Every other class has some optimal use case depending on your dump stats (I'm assuming all points sunk into Vigor, Mind and Endurance are useful), which is a nice mixup from DS3 where as someone else said, Knight was by far the premiere choice for almost every build.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Confessor wastes two points in Int, Prophet wastes (depending on how much Arcane turns out to be a trap stat) two points in Arcane. If you're going Str/Faith though, Prophet only has 8 Dex compared to Confessor's 12, making it a more "optimal" choice. Unless of course, the weapon you want to wield requires 12 or more dex, in which case they're simply equivalent. I've just not been able to find a situation where Confessor is a good pick.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
just gonna be here making Micolash noises continuously until Friday

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
You only get one first playthrough where you know nothing, aka hard mode. May as well maximize the fun and play wretch, no starting gift.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Just beat Margit myself. The jellyfish summon seemed quite good, kept him poisoned most of the fight and drew aggro once or twice. Died a bunch, though. Fought him with a +2 Magic Uchigatana at level 20.

I got used to the dagger and hammer skills, but his longsword stuff is quite relentless. Heavy attacks didn't do nearly as much posture damage as jumping attacks, I found.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
My swampy story: I triggered the teleport trap at approximately the same time Melina decided she wanted to have a chat and disables your teleports until you actually sit at a grace. I thought the disabled teleports, even after getting out of the cave, were a consequence of the trap. So I walked home. That was a sad adventure.

10/10

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
The rating on messages is combined approvals and disapprovals.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
I found Radahn easiest solo and on foot, most of the time. His attacks are perfectly learnable, they're just really hard to recognize when he's swinging at odd angles and constantly switching targets in a melee clusterfuck of summons, he was always clipping me on backswings when I was bringing in cannon fodder. There's a few attacks it behooves to mount up and outrange, like the doom meteors. But honestly right up in poor Leonard's face is weirdly safe since so many of his attacks are one-two rolls or carry him forward right over you.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Fixes:
-Arcane scaling is fixed
-Weapons downgrading damage when upgrading from +24 to +25 is fixed
-Mounting Torrent leaving you stranded in midair and killing you is fixed
-Setting yourself on fire to trigger shield beams or death shotel aura is fixed
-Determination/Knight's Royal Resolve boosting spells through the roof is fixed

Nerfs: Hoarfrost Stomp, Sword of Night and Flame, Barricade Shield, Bloody Slash, Mimic Tear nerfed
Buffs: Sorcery, lots and lots of sorcery boosts

And of course, further NPC interactions/conclusions for some questlines.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Barricade Shield nerf kind of makes me sad but I understand it. It essentially let any medium shield (meaning: brass shield) function as a greatshield for so long and so cheaply it wholly invalidated the actual greatshields, those being a unique perk of a strength build. Guard counter pasting enemies that bounce off, two handing for enemies that don't. Many, many more combo strings end early with the enemy stunned back just from hitting a greatshield, for those that don't know, and a shield under the effects of Barricade Shield doesn't just get bonus stability, it really does bounce back attacks like an actual greatshield.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Did my first invasions tonight, early game Stormveil stuff at level 30. Win ratio was honestly higher than I expected to get, came away with +30 Rune Arcs so I'm set for the rest of Liurnia. Powerstancing rapiers, one bleed one frost, with a sword dance halberd for pokes and surprise.

At least 25% of people were using Moonveils. I don't mind the 3v1s too much, because that's how invasions should be balanced - the invader is more of a spicy speedbump than a coin toss duel.

I didn't really have any answers to people with whips or greatshields. Downsynced phantoms are kind of annoying, running around with all the lategame advanced toys.

My secret power was poise, I scraped together just enough heavy armor pieces to be able to poise through a light weapon hit so I could trade successfully with anything quick.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
:science: The infinite FP crystal tear also functions on spirit summons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
I just had a "git gud" moment with fighting a Death Bird miniboss or two: change your lockon points.

Locking onto the body meant I had to swing at the body, which meant I had to stand way too close to read the tells. Locking onto the head sent my camera through some nauseating jerking about during certain attack animations.

Stay locked onto the body for dodging, switch to the head (or just unlock) for attacking. Suddenly it's not me fighting the camera and rolling for my life, it's just a regular miniboss.