Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land
I got the game on steam and got to play for like 2 hours before the game stopped working, and instead crashed to desktop and forced steam to reboot every time I tried to launch it. After a half a dozen attempts to fix the problem, I gave up and requested a refund. I'll buy it on XBox when the refund from Steam comes through. Alas, poor Harlocke the Wretch. You got deleted far too soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Weirdly, the Urumi has been an incredible standout. I never liked whips before now, but the charged R2 is awesome, it feels great to use from horseback, and it can be greased for elemental damage. It looks super cool too!

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

I don't normally play FTH builds, but the combination of how good and diverse miracles are, and having recently acquired the Miquellan Knight's Sword (so pretty) has inspired me to reroll to be a sword and board paladin-esque build for NG+. If I want to primarily fight with a combination of guard counters and flailing wildly with my sword, and mostly want miracles for long range and diversity of damage types, how deep into FTH do I want to go? I know I can use the clawmark seal for STR scaling, so I assume I just want whatever the minimum FTH requirement is for whatever miracles I want to use?

Having not done a greatshield + 1H weapon build yet, I assume I want the curved sword talisman and Bull-Goat talisman to maximize my guard counters and ability to block without getting staggered, but...what else? Erdtree Talisman +2 seems like a safe bet for a slot, but I'm stumped for the last one. Radagon Icon to be able to pop off casts faster while enemies are staggered? Flock's Canvas Talisman for better miracle damage? Is there an obvious choice for juicing my guard counter/sword and board playstyle that I'm not seeing?

Speaking of greatshields, as much as I love the Erdtree shield for the ash of war, the goony cannon shield is just so good and Bloodborne-ish that I want to find a way to make use of it. This game has so many good, viable build options and gear that I want to use, I'm going to be making new characters to try out weird build ideas forever.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Thanks to everyone for the good tips! I guess it's time to slap down a larval tear and head into NG+.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Radagon's Icon is real good, especially since aren't going to be levelling dex which improves cast speed.

This is a very good point.

Vermain posted:

you don't need much FTH for the good miracles with clawmark: stone of gurranq is 13 FTH, and that'll give you all the ranged damage you could want. i'd personally stop at around 27 for aspect horns, since it's an incredible good stunlocking tool for tough single targets

Oh cool, I didn't realize Stone of Gurranq was so good! Glass house be damned, time to throw stones.

verbal enema posted:

flamethrower shield in one hand , cannon shield in the other

...now I want to try this. gently caress, I need more characters.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Miquellan Knight Sword tips

This is kind of what I was afraid of with this sword. The weird split damage is a little puzzling to navigate with the stat requirements. I'll be the first to admit, I mostly want the sword for looks, second for the cool weapon art. Actual practicality of use is probably in third place, which is...maybe not the best order of priorities for a weapon I want to hang a build on.

I do love that you find the super cool holy straight sword at the point of the game where most of the stuff left to fight is resistant to holy. Definitely makes it feel more like a NG+ weapon, but that's something to remember for the endgame when I'm assumedly going to have to retire it for a non-holy damage weapon.

Epic High Five posted:

Sacred Blade on a Longsword (ash in Limgrave, sword is starter or bought from twin husks) will make you feel more like a holy sword and board paladin than any dedicated weapon in the game, at least before Consecrated. It's also a direct upgrade because it can become whatever you need it to be in a pinch.

As always, the most practical weapons in a From game are the completely unadorned, workman-like weapons you find near the beginning of the game. But dammit, the Miquellan Knight Sword is just so blingy! I wish I could swap the ash of war on this thing. Also, thank you for the Talisman tips, I had no idea the greatshield talisman was busted. Sad!

I know in my heart of hearts that picking a different sword to sword-n-board with would be the smart move, both for ease of stat balancing and to support the style of combat I want to use. But I've never made a smart move yet in my life, and I feel like this isn't the right time to start.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Epic High Five posted:

My impression is that morality is going for what I ended up with on my first playthrough, which is to say big stupid armored up meathead behind a shield first but with utility and respectable ranged options when needed though with nothing like the ability to sustain it for long periods of time. Str/Fai in Elden Ring is pretty much the most perfectly idealized form of this build that From has ever put out.

Yeah, it's this. I want to waddle around in armor with a big shield, whacking monsters with a sword, and mostly using incantations to do ranged damage and diversify my damage types I have handy. A little bit of utility or healing would be nice as a backup, but I mostly just want to throw lightning bolts and boulders at my enemies in lieu of carrying around a bow. I've never liked shields much in Souls games, aside from stuff like wearing the Grass Crest Shield on my back for the stamina regen, that sort of thing. But Elden Ring has the most interesting shield options and mechanics I've seen in a From game, hands down.

I already did a sorcerer run (it slapped, 10/10 experience, would sorcerer again) on my current character, and have a second character, a large, dumb dual greatsword guy, stuck in Leyndell (5/10 experience, felt great on foot and fighting giant monsters, struggled mightily with anything not susceptible to being hit over the head in melee). "Sword and board paladin with some incantations" feels like a nice synthesis of the two styles.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Based on Epic High Five's epic advice, I rerolled into my STR/FTH paladin build to gently caress around with the Miquellan Knight's Sword. After spending a couple hours with it, I find the lack of range on the straight swords to be sort of unsatisfactory whilst using a shield. I feel like powerstancing straight swords is where they really shine? Also, I felt like I was whiffing too much trying to poke with light attacks foir guard counters, until I switched to using the MKS's heavy attack for the little forward dash before the vertical slash. That hits pretty hard, catches most humanoid enemies on the back foot, and felt really satisfying to land. The AoW is also extremely satisfying to use. I tried it with Alexander's Shard at first, but I think it gets more juice from the +Holy DMG scorpion talisman overall thanks to the weapon buff. On the advice of discord buds I also tried the Blasphemous Blade, which is comically good. It hits that holy trifecta of looking gnarly, hitting like a truck, and having a good and useful AoW. It felt good enough I actually went so far as to swap to an earlier save before the final boss room so I could see how the sword n' board playstyle worked on Radagon and Elden Beast.

Radagon was a chump thanks to a mix of blackflame incants and the Blasphemous Blade AoW. Hiding behind a greatshield during his hammer combos (once I rememberd to stop dodging and shield up) trivialized a lot of stuff that had given me trouble before as a pure INT caster. The Elden Beast was...more challenging. Having not tried that as a melee-focused build before, I spent a LOT of time huffing and puffing while I waddled around its arena trying to get in range for blackflame shenanigans. I really missed my sorceries for that part! :mad:

While I was messing around with the Miquellan Knight Sword I decided to go re-visit the Mountaintop of the Giants Deathbird, who basically pushed my face in every time I tried it before. Not so with the Miquellan Knight Sword! Big Bird got mulched with holy damage. :getin: Which brings me to my current dilemma: the Death Ritual Spear may be my new favorite weapon in the game. It checks every single box for me - it looks awesome, has a great moveset, the INT scaling feels like it's doing more than the in-game stats would suggest, the AoW is awesome and seems to be equally good on packs of weenies and big monsters too. I wish I had gotten it ages ago! Like so many cool items, it being stuck behind a bastard of a field boss in a late-game zone really limits my non NG+ opportunities to play with it. As it stands, it's making me want to do an INT melee NG+ using the DRS and the glintstone kris, what was until last night my favorite INT weapon in the game. I was so sure I was going to do a FTH run next! Maybe I'm just destined to be an INT guy.

Elden Ring is so wild, there are so many cool weapons and ashes of war I want to try out. I think I'm going to be playing this game for the next 10 years.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

hatty posted:

Im betting the DLC is something you can access after beating Mohg. Probably have to touch that egg

Tarnished: Please Touch the Egg

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Lucas Archer posted:

I met Turtle Pope, and he is fantastic.

The best dog in video games.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Annath posted:

Are Draconic Tree Sentinels weak or strong against any specific element?

The wiki describes their resistance to the status effects, but doesn't say anything about their resistance to holy/magic/lightning etc.

I can tell you they are strong vs lightning, and while I wouldn't say magic was a vulnerability, I did just fine with magic damage.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Many pages ago someone was posting gifs of white spirits being absolutely maidenless, and one of them was someone doing a double handed jumping attack on the pope's neck.

I want to continuously invade that person with a bleed build until they uninstall.

"I killed the Empyrian Melania in single combat, but does anyone call me Jim the God-Slayer? Nope! I restored the rightful rule of his royal highness Kenneth Haight of Limgrave, but do they call me Jim the Kingmaker? No! But you hit the pope JUST ONCE, and you're 'Jim the Maidenless' forever!"

Morality_Police fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 2, 2024

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

1. Third or fourthing the Caelid Bell Bearing Hunter. gently caress that guy.
2. The one dual greatsword ghost knight at Sol, up on the roof. I don't know why, but that guy is a monster. I hate him so much.
3. The Iron Virgins everywhere in the game. I don't know why they gently caress with me so much, but I always panic and they always roll me over on the first try. I reflexively start dodging if I even hear one rolling towards me.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Looking at every armored knight enemy in that trailer like

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

I've been using my time lately to farm runes to upgrade as many weapons as possible to +9/+24 before the DLC on my highest level character, and it's led to me messing around with a few different specs I haven't tried yet and a lot of weapons I had picked up, said, "huh, cool", and then stuffed into my bag to never look at again. And the ashes. God drat there's a lot of ashes of war I've never tried out.

Some initial thoughts:

- I really, really like the moveset on the Death Ritual Spear, Partisan and Spiked Spear. The combination of fast R1 pokes and the big, sweeping horizontal R2s feels really good. It's like a halberd, but faster! Kind of tempted to make a hoplite sorta build with a greatshield and one spear with Giant Hunt or Impaling Thrust and another with Ice Spear or Spectral Lance for long range. I don't think I've ever actually played a spear and shield character in a Souls game!

- Speaking of halberds...my favorite run in DS3 I ever did was a quality Red Hilted Halberd build, so I feel like I ought to give them a shot here. I initially thought halberds were blah in ER (based entirely on only having looked at the banished knight halberd and the dragon halberd while leveling a sorcerer ), but gently caress me there's a lot of them. I didn't actually realize the vulgar militia weapons were halberds! The internet says those two in particular are good, apparently? The innate bleed on the saw is cool, and I feel like I'm playing Bloodborne when I chase nobles down so I can disassemble them with my rusty tree trimmer. :black101:

- And speaking of Bloodborne...The longhaft axe is my new favorite greataxe model in a souls game, it reminds me of the Hunter axe in the very best way. If I could do the hunter axe's quick poke attacks with the longhaft axe, I'm not sure I'd ever use anything else. I miss that weapon... :smith:
The only problem is, there are too many good ashes to use with it! I think my favorites so far have been Wild Strikes (natch), Eruption and Earthshaker. I still have like 20 more ashes I want to try, too. gently caress this game has good STR build options! I'm so used to the Souls STR moveset being "Bonk...and then bonk again", and now I can make my big 2H weapon poo poo out magma, or create gravity wells, or cause tornados, or...

- I have never used a twinblade, either in ER or DS2. I need to correct this. The godskin peeler looks incredible, and I love me some blackflame, so maybe this is the move. I have gathered most people powerstance twinblades, are they viable using a single twinblade 2-handed, or is powerstancing just the way to go? I like the 2H moveset, but the powerstance one looks goofy.

Morality_Police fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 23, 2024

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

dialhforhero posted:

Aren’t there a finite number of smithing stones (not somber)? Because I was farting around and experimenting with different weapons and now I can’t upgrade any because I don’t have any way to get 1s, 2s, and 3s until much, MUCH later in my playthrough.

:smith:

That’s my biggest beef with smithing and gear.

are you picking up bell bearings? I can't remember which ones have them, but there are bel bearings you'll pick up through the game that add all the various smithing stones you need to get to +9/+24 to the twin husks vendors at roundtable hold. Only the final stones needed to get things to +10/+25 are limited in each NG cycle.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

edit: double post
edit 2: just checked, and you can get the bell bearing that lets you buy infinite +1 and +2 smithing stones as early as Liurnia, so definitely not super late in the game. If you're bold and can ride like the wind, the one for +3 and +4 stones is accessible as soon as you can get into Altus.

Morality_Police fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 23, 2024

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Okay, I'm trying to figure something out, and maybe someone here has asked the same question. How do damage resistances work when a weapon has two contradictory damage types? The example I'm puzzling over is the spiked spear, which is Strike/Pierce. So Strike is good against heavily armored enemies, but Pierce is weak against them. So what happens? Does a heavily armored enemy take extra damage from the spiked spear because of the Strike type, reduced damage because of the Pierce type, or do they cancel each other out? Have I already given this too much thought?

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Epic High Five posted:

It's not a type inherent to the weapon necessarily, it's the moveset. So that spear has your normal pokes, but also a sweep that counts as strike, on R2 or charged R2 I think. You get the advantages of both if you are smart about things.

Sometimes the listing is deceptive because the only, say thrust type, move is one nobody ever uses like backstep R1, or with colossal swords the crouch/rolling R1 is the thrust which is insanely useful (and let's them use thrusting type ashes like giant hunt)

So, I figured it was doing both with all attacks because it does bleed build-up with both the thrust attacks and the sweeping R2s, and I guess I just...didn't associate bleed with a Strike weapon. So it's only doing Pierce damage with the thrusting R1s? The spikes on the sides of the spearhead had me fooled, I guess.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Epic High Five posted:

It's still doing bleed damage all the time, but a thrusting motion will be piercing type and the sweep will be strike because it's a big gnarly spear head otherwise. The status effects on a weapon ARE inherent to everything it hits with, and can lead to some stuff stuff like ashes that will apply things quickly (though From has cracked down on a lot of those).

Then of course you get really weird exceptions like the Rusted Anchor, which has an axe moveset but every attack does piercing damage, but generally speaking you can guess what type of damage is being done by looking at what it has and just going by what it looks like. Strike is better than any other option but honestly, any damage type is fine, don't let it be a determinant.

The spiked spear specifically is one of a trio of spears that share a moveset, with the only difference being the damage type in addition to thrust. The Partizan is one and I think it has slash instead of strike, and there's another but I forget (never used spears much). The Spiked Spear is probably the best because spears get a lot of multi-hit ashes like Repeating Strikes which are great for buildup. I recommend Impaling Thrust though, it does absolutely ridiculous posture damage for how fast, cheap, and long ranged it is

Yeah, the third one is the Death Ritual Spear, AKA my favorite spellblade-style weapon. And determining damage types by looking at the weapon is what got me in this whole mess to begin with! I figured smacking someone upside the head with what was essentially a very long spiked clubwould be doing Strike AND Pierce, but here we are. That scamp Miyazaki tricked me good!

All that said, I AM enjoying the spear moveset. I put Giant Hunt on it and that was fun to mess around with - I used it to absolutely body the Night Cav in Liurnia that drops Ice Spear - but I imagine Impaling Thrust is more effective overall for hitting things that aren't really tall/on horseback.

All of this is because I've been noodling on a good backup Pierce weapon to support a Heavy Longhaft Axe with Earthshaker on it. As of today, I'm finding I like the considerable reach and speed of the Commander's Standard and its R1 pokes, and the buff is nothing to sneeze at either.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Yeah, the speed at which the R1 pokes come out on some of these halberds should be illegal. Blue phantoms should show up at Roundtable hold to show Roderika a picture of you holding a halberd, asking if she's seen this Tarnished.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

I know this is old news, but MAN is it weird that Occult weapons can't be buffed. So much for my plan of playing an ARC knight with a pocket full of weapon grease. I just wanted elementally infused weapons AND a giant dragon head to breathe rot or frost or lava on people, is that so wrong?? :negative:

Joking aside, ARC has such cool toys! I started loving around with the FTH/ARC incantations, and ended up respecced to a 60 ARC build with just enough STR and FTH to use the gear and incants I want. The whole build feels really good with some really fun spellcasting options. It's REALLY satisfying to poise through an Omen's attacks to summon a giant dragon head to bite them in half. Is it practical? Maybe, maybe not. Does it have style for days? Emphatically yes.

I just don't get why all of the elemental ashes of war are locked out of Occult. Is it because ARC also boosts status effect rates on bleed/poison/etc weapons? Because otherwise it doesn't seem any different from Keen, Heavy and Quality. I guess buffable Occult would specifically be busted on bleed-inherent weapons that could also take elemental buffs like the flamberge. I can't think of any weapons with inherent poison or rot that are also infusable. I guess there's the ant rapier?

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

I guess that makes sense. Still bummed I can't have a flaming Occult weapon, but I suppose that's life. VERY interesting that sleep is buffed by Arcane. For some reason I thought sleep was like frost and didn't get affected by ARC.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

The helmet and greaves from Tragoth's set are the only super-heavy armor pieces that don't make me wince. I am really excited for some more heavy armor sets in the DLC, because while Elden Ring has a ton of excellent light/medium armor sets, most of the heavier sets leave me pretty cold. The scaled set is good, but the helmet is silly.

edit: also for the love of GOD give me a chest piece that matches Iji's mirrorhelm, because I love that stupid thing and it doesn't go with anything in the game.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Yeah, glams would be a serious non-starter for me too. Half the fun of Souls is weighing whether to look good or survive being hit with a sword bigger than your own body. Once you can do both, only then will you have truly got good.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

doomrider7 posted:

Then there are the Crucible Armors and Tree Sentinel Armor which goes well with my using a huge loving stick to beat people with.

My admittedly niche problem with those sets is the colossal loving shoulderpads. I always feel like I'm Murphy Brown with those chest pieces on.

...although that being said, the consort's crown with the tree sentinel BP gloves and greaves makes for a fun King Baldwin of Jerusalem cosplay.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

No Dignity posted:

The DLC looks like you'll have some good new options there. One looks like a real classic Black Iron-style set at least

I saw that one NPC in the trailer with the repeating crossbow and knew that I would either be completing their quest or cruelly betraying them, whichever it takes to get their armor for myself.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Epic High Five posted:

I take forever to finish any of these games, you really gotta drink in that first playthrough you never get another one better

It's this, plus I have the particular kind of brain damage that requires me to come as close to 100% on open world games as possible on the first playthrough. I am compelled to find all the secrets, pick up all the weapons I'll never use/not use for several playthroughs, etc.

Elden Ring has the additional bonus of having nailed the experience of coming around a corner on a trail/walking out of a tunnel/opening a door and being struck by an absolutely stunning vista of some new area. The first time I came out of the tunnel after Godrick and saw Liurnia spreading out before me, the first time I walked into Leyndell and saw the city below me and the giant door in the Erd Tree, the first time walking off the lift into the Mountaintop of the Giants...those were all-time great Gamer Moments for me.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Yeah but what if I miss a cool weapon, did you think of THAT.

The very thought of it sends chills down my spine :ohdear:

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Listerine posted:

What's a good halberd in mid-to-end game? I was using the one that drops from the Revenger earlier on, but now I've found a bunch more.

What's your build? Vulgar Militia Saw has innate bleed, which is fun. Nightrider Glaive has an S scaling on Heavy and hits like a dumptruck full of bags of cement. Commander's Standard is a Somber, STR-focused weapon and the AoW is a broadly useful buff that gives bonus damage and damage reduction, albeit only for like 30 seconds.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

There's a thread title somewhere in that ESRB notice, but I'm having trouble fully extracting it. I love the warning about the word sh*t, though. "The first major dungeon in the game is all themed around a guy chopping people up to make human kit-bashes, but also, someone says poo poo."

edit: I guess "Marika's tits" isn't rude enough to get a callout, huh?

Morality_Police fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 2, 2024

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

No Dignity posted:

Maybe it was supposed to be but that's clear references to Godrick and Malenia, unless we're going to see another boss get naked with their boobs and crotch covered in scar tissue

You can never have too many naked bosses covered in scar tissue.

- Hidetaka Miyazaki, probably

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

skill issue, turtles cannot fail, they can only be failed

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

scary ghost dog posted:

real pros optimize their stats to the decimal so they can comfortably use the worst weapons in the game like the flowing curved sword or the serpentbone blade

The serpentbone blade isn't bad per se, so much as it's in a category - Dex-favoring weapons with status effects boosted by ARC - with so many better options that it just seems like dogshit. If it was able to have its AoW changed, it would actually be really good, I think. Having a tunable katana with innate poison buildup would be fun and interesting to play with.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Arcane has finally made a STR/FTH build click for me. Like EHF said, with exactly 27 FTH I now have access to all the dragon breath spells which is basically enough spell damage for any normal enemy in the game. This combined with an Occult claymore and spiked palisade (and Mogh's spear if I feel lazy and just want an "I Win" button), and I'm able to smush pretty much anything. Granted, I didn't try this build until I was basically done with the game, so maybe it would feel less good trying to level with it. But at 165 with some gear, Arcane feels very strong.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Vermain posted:

radahn and mohg were almost certainly intended to have full legacy dungeons that got chopped for time. my intuition is that bestial sanctum would've been the link down to mohgwyn dynasty proper, since the underground map puts the dynasty at somewhere underneath dragonbarrow, and the sanctum itself is weirdly huge for what amounts to a single room and a scuffed jumping puzzle for two items. it helps explain both dragonbarrow being barren and the odd difficulty spike, since you would've been intended to go there much later in the game as part of a natural north/south duality of progression

This makes a lot of sense, because I have been wondering why Bestial Sanctum is so dang huge for a long time. I've sat outside the Caelid coliseum looking at all of that sub-structure under the sanctum trying to figure out what could be in there and "cut legacy dungeon" makes a lot more sense than anything I came up with.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Mustached Demon posted:

Maybe we're going there in a few months!

from your lips to Queen Marika's ear

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

Exactly what I do with mine. Keep meaning to put it on the spiky shield so I can freezebleed people.

the spiked palisade with shield crash is so good, frostbite seems like it would be overkill. Which means you should absolutely do it. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

scary ghost dog posted:

the move that i miss the most in elden ring: the universal kick

What about a shadowless kick, would that count?