Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Ahhh I see whoever designed Nokstella played a ton of marble madness before coming up with the level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

A few points into mind lets me use bloodfangs ability more after summoning jellyfish bro.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

It's been my favorite fight so far. Really satisfying victory and had the feeling the PC was leading a war band with his best pals. Sport his armor set now because it owns.

I did horse strafe runs around him between his attacks. Quick enough to get some bleeds off.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I respecced from my blind I don't know what I'm doing str/arc build into a more focused str build. Then went into gargoyles as a dual-wield axe murderer and came out victorious.

I think I'm gonna stick with this method. Bloodhound and onyx swords being my weapons of choice unless I need to strike damage.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I defeated the mighty fire giant! That was the single most ridiculous fight I've come across. Thing rolls around almost as much as I do and then lmfao at the phase transition and p2. I am so happy I purchased this game.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Later game spoilers: Oh this was a lot of buildup for some old beastman with a knife. Guess there have been a lot of these jerkbags around here so must be their leader. Probably just some checkpoint boss hanging out with his pal the dragon tree sentinel.

*lands a bleed*

OH gently caress ME

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

On the same subject sort of: does the dragon tree sentinel stay dead? Maybe kill that thing to make it less annoying getting to Maliketh and perhaps make a new friend if I get too frustrated.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

After a few Maliketh attempts where I had the jerk a hit or two from victory, I gave in and summoned for help. Ran into the perfect helper who got enough rot breath off to rot the jerk about midway through p2 then died. The dot gave me just enough help where I only had to add in 2-3 more power stance smacks. That's a lot since I only really was ok at hitting two openings: overhead sword strike and lucking into the leap back position after the sword into ground move.

Onward to the Halgitree, failure, then the end.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I've started the Halgitree and sheesh this place is mean. Made it to the second checkpoint at least. It hasn't gotten easier.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

SHISHKABOB posted:

The branches were so easy though. There was like nothing that could kill you there.

Fatty McHornplayer was a jerk who killed me a few times because I'm bad and kept trying to bum rush past it and the flowers. Ended up rot and bleed arrowing it down. Thankfully the first checkpoint is down.

Made it past ghost squid but then died to an axe beastman. Got overly aggressive for something that can take a power stance L1. Oh well.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The only real gripe I have with this game is the veterans set boots (and banished set). I haven't really found a set that offers the protection/weight I can handle that also looks cool. Instead I'm stomping around with boots that look like a golem fell on my poor tarnished's feet.

Some crucible/dragon sets are close but they don't match. I do like the hat and sweet cape. Banished knight hats cool too since it looks like a dragon hood ornament.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Made it to Malenia. Her castles something else. Looks like it used to be a gleaming fortress. Now it's rotting away like the waterfall. Then you come to the graveyard of prawn and soldier pals praying. Either praying for their family or their friends who died in Caelid.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Calaveron posted:

I cannot loving believe that the first thing they fixed on the first ever patch they released for this game wasn't making it so summoning your horse after it dies just revives it by default with no stupid prompt needed

It's to remind you that you let your best friend get hurt.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I defeated Malenia. Two bleeding curved greatswords and lions claw were my offense. My key was running into the flower dust and wailing on her as she recovered. My mimic pal and I got a poise break in a flower that lead to a bleed proc to end it. If she jumped up I ran. Luckily, I only had to deal with one waterfowl in p2.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Barudak posted:

I finished off Malenia at 115ish and did every single piece of content except the puzzle doors and hug disease womans questline, how in the name of the outer gods are you all getting to 160 before then?

I've gained like 50 levels wandering around everything after the capitol. I die a lot to dumb encounters and refuse to let those runes go away too. Like I'll end up clearing out an area 2-3 times dying and that stuff adds up.

Killed her at 175 ha.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I also like killing stuff so sometimes I'll go to areas I know have fun enemies just to beat them up.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Only thing I really felt way overpowered for was Mogh. Got to him fairly early, got destroyed, and then forgot about him until after I got through the Capitol. Came back with my mimic pal ready for a brawl and he sort of just fell over.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Think of unga bunga spells/incantations as getting so mad the nearest nerd actually does the nerd stuff for you out of fear.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

v1ld posted:

Phew, that's a lot! Really good to know.

Also interesting that you can get some stat effects without actually bumping the stat itself so to speak.

I love this game. I haven't even gone to Stormveil yet as I'm exploring every nook and cranny but mechanically if feels so nice. Like they distilled a lot of their learnings from earlier games and then went ahead and made a bunch of stuff even more orthogonal than before so you have a huge amount of choice in how you do stuff. The only videos I watch are duels and the sheer amount of variety on display is fantastic.

My advice is to find the biggest, most ridiculous sticks you can find and smash things with them while screaming.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

It's not about how swole you look it's about being swole enough on the inside to power stance colossal weapons.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I decided to start a new playthrough as a caster nerd. It was hilariously satisfying running around naked clubbing godrick losers until one dropped a pair of pants.

I now understand why people pick wretch to start. It's not the balanced stats at low level either.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Flytrap posted:

It makes for amazing emergent gameplay and characterization. You fit into every build equally well and the club is a fun weapon.

I wonder what the guards at the gatefront ruins began to think of the weird Tarnished that murdered them for an hour while screaming "JUST DROP A loving SHIRT ALREADY IT'S RAINING AND MY NIPPLES ARE FREEZING"

I got a pair of pants then went and conquered the erdtree dog dungeon. Really surprised how easy it felt compared to dying like 30 times to it on my first go.

Now he's a shirtless guy with a poleblade shooting blue rocks at everything.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Video Nasty posted:

When I did the Varre quest in NG+ I hopped into three different peoples' games and each time had my rear end handed to me for being an idiot but I deserved it.

I just walked up to them and laid down. One person I invaded twice so I dropped some meat then laid down.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Agents are GO! posted:

I want cheerful smithing stones. :colbert:

Those are required for upgrading the doots.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Epic High Five posted:

The DLC should be in the badlands, the new items should all give you wrestling moves, and the final boss fight should be a literal wrestling match in front of a crowd of thousands

Legit just have the Radahn Memorial Festival where it's gladiator combat vs NPCs. Throw in old bosses too for funsies.

My caster run through seems to be slowing. Felt like I hit a wall after destroying godrick with rocks. Stuff just not dying as fast. Maybe I just suck at resists, ranged boss fights, and knowing how spell scales. I use the meteorite and +10 demihuman sticks. Main spells are the great pebble and the rock toss. Any others that help?

Maybe I'm just punching too high screwing around in Caelid before academy.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sindai posted:

Academy is much easier than Caelid even for a mage, you just have to rely on rocks and a physical weapon in certain parts because some enemies are 80% resistant to magic.

The meteorite staff should be significantly stronger than demihuman's, no reason to bother with using both.

Is the "magic scale" number on the bottom of the damage list how you tell which ones better? Demihuman has a higher number there so I've been using that unless it's rock time.

Physical weapons just been moonveil and that's great at what I need it for.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sindai posted:

No, you're right about sorcery scaling, I stand corrected on that one. I never tried using demihuman's since it falls off quickly with her int compared to the staffs you get in Academy.

Probably go do academy next then. Get all the delicious nerd gear I remember from my first go around. Should help give the power boost to go elsewhere.

That area difficulty list is neat too thank you.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

crepeface posted:

assuming you're NG+, 2x staff of loss: night shard -> night comet.

it's ridiculous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I9q7IuhJz4

Na it's a fresh run.

My NG+ is angry man smash. I got 80str, heavy armor, lots of vigor, and now pumping up arcane. Just so rot breath pretends to do something as I cosplay as a gym lunk who ate too much protein in co-op play.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Tiche is extremely helpful in Malenia’s first phase and drat near useless in the second phase. Knockdowns and posture breaks appear to just stop working in the second phase and I can never find an opening to attack except after her first attack.

After the flower bomb goes, she has a pretty long opening to get in hits. You'll have to choke down some rot fart but it's easy to get in a full combo.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I head canoned into thinking the erdtree just shoved souls back into corpses because it didn't know what to do with them. It started doing this because death dweeb ran off with thing that usually handled all those souls.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

TaurusTorus posted:

Which means there's three severed dragon heads representing the incineration of the world.

Godricker the Grafterest: even more lame of a demigod.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Defeated Rennela on the caster run. She was a wee bit tougher as a caster. Ended up putting blood slash on the poleblade then spamming that plus pole wacks. Moon and the kamehameha were the only openings I felt save throwing rocks.

Much easier on big dumb idiot smashing her face in. Makes up for rocks completely chumping Godrick and Magrit while melee was trickier there.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Weapon chat: falling star beast jaw with the dragon claw is pretty fun. Really, beast jaw with any colossal weapon that looks cool to offhand is good fun. I like the dragon one because it's more like a femur you tore off a dragon so that's cool. Jaw you obviously ripped from the still-warm falling star beast corpse.

Curved greatswords with bleed are fun too. Still brings the unga bunga poise damage with added showers of blood!

Unrelated, I got comet azur unlocked on my caster run. Ion cannoning bosses is so stupid and I love every second of it. Better go challenge my nemesis the ulcerated tree spirit for that sweet tear.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Snake Maze posted:

Godfrey’s a cheater, he should have been standing outside the capitol staring sadly at the “you must have this many great runes to proceed” barrier.

Here I thought he was the one the roundtable people were talking about when you show up with two.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The Anime Liker posted:

That's Vyke.

They don't like to talk about Vyke.

(Vyke was right)

Oh right that guy.

Yeah Vyke had the right idea.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

ZeusCannon posted:

Why doesnt Radahn have feet

He cut off one so he could be closer to his one true friend in the world.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Start out as wretch and jump-bonk all who stand in your way.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Dejan Bimble posted:

Carian Study hall is a nice gimmick, but it seems like they could do so much more. Make it a sens fortress style miserable platforming experience, but with elden touch to make it less miserable (stakes of marika), where you have to progress a certain bit, flip the map, progress more, flip it again, now back track, flip, flip , flip, and then boss, but when you have to flip it again to get the next phase of the boss. The reward is a beautiful magical staff

So basically the water temple?

Uhh yeah that would kind of own. Water temple: souls style.

Mustached Demon fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jun 8, 2022

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I got my hug on my NG+.

Hahaha does Melina let you have it after you take on the flames. Whatever lady let it burn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I think poise damage carries between clergy and black knight forms of maliketh. Was doing the stupid-broken strat of "spam falling star beast jaw on p2" on maliketh and he fell over first hit like a chump. I really wanted to rot battle hammer+great stars him but I'm just not good enough to get the hits in to decay him away.

Found out my wife's pregnant with twins so I'll be sure to push the names Malenia and Miquella if they're boy/girl.