Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I see that powerstancing is in, but does anyone know if you can mix and match two different weapon types and still have the regular moveset in each hand? DS2 let you do that, so you could have something like a rapier in one hand and a curved sword in the other and still have the full movesets for both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Valley of Defilement is one of the best areas in the series and epitomizes the spirit and tone of Demon's Souls beautifully.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Flytrap posted:

my hottest take: i love every single second of the valley of defilement. it's my favorite des stage and i'm sad they never made the poison swamp stages that good again.

Agreed. It's the purest essence of the game's philosophy

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Blaziken386 posted:

the catacombs being a mid-late game area that you can access early is simply a funny prank that dark souls plays on you, as a joke

other jokes include "the resistance stat" and "faith spells"

when you think about it, dark souls is really just a comedy game

Faith owns in DS1.Tranquil Walk of Peace and Wrath of the Gods is one of the most OP combos in the game. Karmic Justice is dank too, infuse a high stability shield with any element to get the physical absorption under 100% (but still above 95%). Then of course Lightning bolts for PVE.

Its still alright in DS2 and in DS3 it's situational but definitely underrated: The Sunlight Straight Sword has Oath of Sunlight for a WA which is a 11.5% damage buff and stacks with Lightning Blade. Combine with the OP DS3 SS moveset and your damage is ridiculous. Another option is using the Sunlight Talisman L2, which casts your miracles but with full DS1 style poise, with Lightning Stake, for a devastating AOE.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

SuperTeeJay posted:

Patch note: Players now required to acknowledge that they are proceeding at their own risk before playing in online mode.

The invasion endgame, melting your GPU and stealing your credit card info.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I've gotten more hours out of this series then any timesink MMO. It took over 700 before I started getting burnt out DS3 alone and even then, it just means I space out my playthroughs more now. I'm usually always playing one of their modern titles in rotation.$60 for Elden Ring will be a steal for me for what will undoubtedly be hundreds more hours of top tier game.

A big part of that for me is the invasions. In addition to just generally being a cool idea, its guaranteed fresh content on every playthrough, whether I'm the invader or host. Learning level layouts, choke points, how to optimize highly specific invasion builds for certain areas, it's just the best. I love that all of this gameplay is in just one world too, you're not choosing "Multiplayer" from the title screen, it's all diagetic and part of the cohesive experience you have while playing these games. Brilliant!

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

acyclicity posted:

If I feel compelled to count the number of hours it took me to complete a game, that means the game sucked.

I play on Steam so the hours are in my face every time I start the game up.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

DeS OST rules dude you're out of your mind.

Souls of Mist (character creation)
https://youtu.be/C7Xv0mJkHpw

Maiden Astraea
https://youtu.be/9piElENpvmM

Tower Knight
https://youtu.be/mIW7Ho4xMa4

One Who Craves Souls (bad ending)
https://youtu.be/6ESqvGzdnvs

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

The exploit that launched a million worst case scenario clickbait articles...

1. From has taken down all PC Souls multiplayer functionality to fix at the very least the RCE exploit, which although documented, has only been performed by the white hat hacker who discovered it and communicated the issue to Bandai Namco / From. They are presumably priotizing incorporating this fix into Elden Ring with the older titles to follow.

2. Elden Ring will be the first Souls game to incorporate Easy Anti-Cheat which will cut down on in-game memory editing and most other forms of hacking players will be able to do.

3. Dark Souls 3 was probably the worst at launch as it utilized the same network code as the previous titles without any modification to the netcode other then some basic and easily overcome things like item modification detection. Very little is checked client side.

Basically I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think worst case scenario would be the PC version gets delayed and the older games don't get their multiplayer back on PC. Which would absolutely suck (moreso if the latter happens), but the RCE discovery is ultimately a blessing if it's causing From to actually take their netcode seriously. Plus the Easy Anti-Cheat inclusion is pretty reassuring.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Demons probably has the craziest runs outside of SOTFS iron keep. Double dragon action in 1-4, stunlock city and then rolling down into the darkness hoping for planks 2-2, getting completely lost in 3-1

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

DeS if you want a cakewalk, DS3 if you want hard mode for most of your playthrough

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Groovelord Neato posted:

Dark Souls is the Book of the New Sun of video games.

I read BOTNS and Urth after somebody said something similar once. They're both great but BOTNS is incredible, it became my favorite novel pretty quickly. A Fromsoft game with that style of setting would be incredible.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Pulcinella posted:

Yeah you get like 4 different levels of unreliable narrator: narrator leaving out details to make himself look better, narrator not understanding events but knows he doesn’t understand, narrator misinterpreting or failing to understand things but doesn’t know he is but we the readers do, and times when neither the narrator nor the reader fully comprehend the events.

There's at least one more level and it's a big one: Thecla lives on in an active way in the mind of Severian after the Alzabo feast with Vodalus, plus hundreds more consciousnesses join her after he consumes the Autarch's brain near the end of Citadel. As all of BOTNS is presented as Severian's memoirs as the new Autarch before he heads into space we are not only dealing with an unreliable narrator but one who mentally consists of literal multiple people who may be directly manifesting from time to time to influence his thoughts, words and actions.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's probably why Dark Souls finally clicked with me - From were the only people doing video game narrative "right" to me just like I always wish more sci-fi and fantasy was written like Wolfe does.

Yeah for sure. From's style of presentation where you can totally ignore it if you just want to focus on the gameplay despite it being relatively well written and interesting for a video game is aces. Compare this to most other narrarives in modern games which are not only bland and boring but frequently in your face and make up too much of the total experience.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

If they were going to push back the PC version, they would have said something by now.

:pray: I really hope so

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Thundercracker posted:

I always roll Deprived not because I'm some difficulty freak, I cheese freely, but because my favorite part of any RPG is the start of gearing up where you equip anything you can because it fills up a slot.

Starting with real weapons and spells and armor just feels wrong.

Agreed 100%, for the first runs anyway before I start doing PVP builds.

Running around as a big beefy dude with my loin cloth and thief mask wielding the Spiked Mace in DS3 was awesome, my character ended up with a distinct style totally naturally.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

huh posted:

What's with the blind-in-one-eye theme?

Berserk

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

JBP posted:

Berserk is the only media where anyone ever lost, damaged or obscured an eye.

IDK if you're being sarcastic or not but all of Miyazaki's games so far have been absolutely loaded with very direct visual and conceptual references.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

CottonWolf posted:

I think Miyazaki should go back to the Junji Ito well.

I agree. There's a lot of fleshy spiral stuff in the Tower of Latria, wonder if that's a reference to Uzumaki.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Gamerofthegame posted:

is the co-op mechanic confirmed one way another for elden ring: the ring?

specifically, is there mutual progression so I can PARTY WITH MY PALS or is it like dark souls where it's host only and you have to do everything three times

because that sucked.

The latter and I'm glad

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

https://twitter.com/DarkSoulsGame/status/1491411609499353088/photo/1

From has fixed the RCE exploit in the PC version and the game will not be delayed, with the Souls games multiplayer coming back shortly after the release of ER

Praise it

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

With the return of equip load on END and magic supposedly being better then ever we are going to see some filthy Havel Moms like never before.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

The difference is that From has delivered nothing but quality for over a decade with several GOATs under their belt, and iterate on what they know. Compared to CDPR who has one great game in The Witcher 3 (imo), and even then, going from that style of game to (what was presented at least) a fully realized GTA style city with immersive and interlocking simulation systems, multiple vehicles, NPC routines and a whole bunch of new stuff on a scale that the developers hadn't done before. It was a risky endeavor at best.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Given the usual quality of From's boss and environmental designs, I'd consider any visual elements alone outside of the first 30 minutes spoilers I don't want to see.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Veritas posted:

I hate to bring up choice of PC vs. Console (yet again!) but for the first time ever I am torn.

I *always* get my FromSoft games on console first, historically because they didn't always have simultaneous PC releases, but now mostly out of tradition, and the fact that the games aren't really designed to take advantage of cutting edge PC hardware (particularly on this title that is also on PS4). There's also been some vague ideas about PC hacking, etc, in the back of my mind.

I'm 90% certain I'll be getting Elden Ring for PS5, but nevertheless a small voice in my head keeps nagging me saying I will regret it once raytracing drops via patch (I've got an RTX 3080, 4k monitor, great CPU, tons of RAM, no worries there). But my TV is just... bigger, and couches are comfy, and it's just really hard for me to judge how big a deal RT will be once they patch it in. It could be really great, but then again, the implementation on PS5 might still be completely acceptable if the PC RT implementation isn't designed to scale super hard with PC horsepower.

Anyone in my boat? I really think I'd prefer the console experience despite superior PC hardware. Comedy option: beat it 3 times on PS5, then buy it for PC and pretend it's a whole new graphical experience justifying further playthroughs (which is what I did for Dark Souls 3).

Hook your PC up to your couch'd TV and eliminate any compromises. If the game is a mess on PC on launch (I doubt it), then refund it and get it on your PS5.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Wondering if the PC req's are based on it being a port of the PS5 / XBSX version, and the PS4 and XB1 have some hard-coded asset and density downgrades specific to their versions that won't be included as options on PC. From has gotten better with their PC ports but there's still not exactly a wide range of graphic options in them and this is their first simultaneous cross generation release. I'd be curious to see if there will be things like grass density and draw distance options in the PC version, might lend credence to this complete speculation theory of mine.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I've been playing the hell out of Ninja Gaiden Black. There are some similarities to Soulsborne in both the combat and the world exploration aspect. Both it and Sekiro were made a bit tougher coming right from Souls because my brain didn't want to believe I could actually consistently block stuff with a katana in both cases. Anyway, I loved it, cleared it all the way through master ninja difficulty and all of mssion mode. It might be my new favorite character action game.

I started NG2, I'll probably finish at least one difficulty before ER but it seems a bit sloppier and less refined then NGB.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I watched a little bit of the red bull thing and at one point one of the streamers pulled their internal Discord convo into their monitor stream. Could see some notes like "maybe don't use estus so the PVP doesn't take forever". And yeah lots of tech problems in general. Pretty sloppy!

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

hatty posted:

Why six hours earlier on PC? It’s not fair I tell ya

A little treat for having the rest of the Souls multi on PC down for a month

Thursday night... OHHHHH, ELDEN RING

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Seems pretty reasonable to have to wait for Day One patch (aka when people will actually be playing it) to do performance analysis.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

The time has come. Farewell

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Played for like 5 hours tonight on PC, only stopping because Im so tired that I cant keep my eyes open. Experienced very little stuttering, basically just upon entering a new area for a sec but then totally smooth. Running at 4K with an 5900x and 3080 and it looks insanely good.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Heath posted:

How many of you went straight to the beach first?

I did, the afternoon light on the water was beautiful. Looked like a Monet painting. Then I found the little secret running around

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Wild Strikes is OP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sJSIZk04go

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Not sure I feel about our ol pal (Murkwater Cave spoilers) Patches showing up. It's getting a little redundant at this point. plus they gave him a great send out in DS3. I will admit he got me with the teleporter chest to the bears on my second visit, lol.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Lordsworn Greatsword has carried me so far but I've found the Claymore and baby, don't make me choose

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

This game is a masterpiece. From firing 11/10 on all cylinders. I was enjoying the game plenty, but was concerned there wasn't going to be enough new types of content / areas compared to the last few Souls games. Then I saw Siofra River and Caelid. Not only are they spectacular visually, the ambient music in those places is perfection.

The horse controls and combat is perfect too, so fluid and natural. Most games it feels like you're getting into a 70s station wagon in terms of controls when you get on a horse. Torrent feels like a faster extension of the player, if you could do attacks (and charge them) while sprinting, basically. Simple, straightforward and perfect. The Skyrim horse has been dethroned as the GOAT.

The controls are perfect, and I'm not experiencing any of that input lag that you some of you guys are, what controllers are you using? I'm using a dual shock 4 natively with steam.

I think this game may dethrone Ocarina of Time as my all-time favorite single player experience and I feel like I've seen less than 10% of it. What an achievement.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Just a heads up that there are TWO bosses in Siofra River. You need to use a mirror somewhere in the middle of the map to get to his location. That's all I say other then he's a fantastic encounter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Thumbtacks posted:

Just to be clear, you can definitely only invade people that have a friend summoned, right?

Man I regret killing that npc, I’m tempted to restart even though I’m 20 hours in already

No, you can also invade solo hosts who have used the Taunter's Tongue item, which is similar in functionality to the Dried Finger from Souls.