Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
halp plz: i've been having the flickering screen/black screen issue

i'm up to date on OS and graphics drivers and I've validated game files. it seems like the screen blacks out when I look in a specific direction, perhaps some kind of particle effect that isn't rendering properly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

sigher posted:

Have you tried messing with graphics settings? Maybe flip from Fullscreen to Borderless Windowed,

could be, thanks much

I did try switching back and forth from windowed to fullscreen but it was bordered and I used Alt+Enter, right now i'm doing a fresh reinstall of the game itself, it'll take a while to download the whole thing all over again so I thought i'd pick brains ITT

BasicLich fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 2, 2022

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Willfrey posted:

did you try the 'verify steam game files' ?

yes but i said so somewhat inarticulately:

BasicLich posted:

I've validated game files.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

sigher posted:

Have you tried messing with graphics settings? Maybe flip from Fullscreen to Borderless Windowed,

okay so i've done the following

1. OS up to date
2. Graphics drivers up to date
3. validated install through steam
4. used ALT+ENTER to toggle fullscreen and windowed
5. reinstalled through steam
6. disabled steam overlay
7. all graphics settings to minimal
8. tried borderless windowed through ingame settings

still getting the flickering black screen issue. I'm going to have to reinstall the OS fresh as my next step. I have a strong suspicion it has something to do with whatever visual effect is associated with the golden glow of various lights, e.g., beacons of grace, the sun, that golden path effect because if my graphics do work they start acting up when I look towards those things

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

New Zealand can eat me posted:

This game got waaaaay easier once I decided to take all of my armor off. I feel dumb for not doing it sooner

Just don't get hit :smugdog:

this is how i felt when I was going through the starting area which, by the way, was where I had to stop because I've done everything short of reinstalling windows to stop the black screen bug I was beginning to find myself standing still and waiting for them to attack so I could pull off a sick counter and that just feels like a complete waste of time

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

New Zealand can eat me posted:

If it's any consolation, every area you're experiencing that bug brings my 3950X/6900XT to its knees while it becomes a stuttery mess at any resolution/combination of settings (when I can maintain >50fps at 2880x5120). There's only 3-4 problem spots, but not being able to see at all would drive me mad!

It looks like you've been pretty comprehensive with your troubleshooting, here's to hoping they sort it out sooner than later

E: I will also admit I'm playing the ~horse name~ torrented version with the framerate unlocker and the FOV boosted 15%, but that made no difference on/off. I'm buying it tomorrow, hoping I can get away with transferring my save just to avoid having to redo those bits

I'll be fine, I have a brand new PC I ordered that'll be here in less than two weeks, which is why I'm not going to bother with the fresh OS on this old warhorse. I mean I waited a full year for RDR2 to be ported from console to PC, whats two weeks

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Theotus posted:

Lost about ten hours of progress due to flicking my powerstrip off with my toe on accident. Very cool. Apparently it doesn't matter if you save every 10 seconds and have rested your console multiple times throughout.

Saves are stored in the toes

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

https://i.imgur.com/5aQHxbf.mp4

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

it's an interesting discussion, it would really come down to the bottom line I think, and I think per-user playtime would factor into that, there's probably plenty of people who came to ER because they heard all the hype, have heard about the soulsborne series and how they're so incredibly detailed and rewarding to beat, but fell off for one reason or another just a few hours in.

if you can repeat that phenomenon, it would be more profitable to plug out a whole game rather than sell DLC for less than 60bux (70 on ps5 iirc) to the people who are clamoring for it.

of course this depends entirely on balancing several factors including dev costs, DLC pricing, etc etc.

i've to come to the conclusion that the bean counters have the final say in whether or not it happens

another factor is that DLC is typically for people who have completed the game and want more and I'm not ashamed to say that doesn't include me, i'm stuck on praetor rykard

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Harrow posted:

Discussion topic for the thread:

What's the funniest thing in Elden Ring?

based on the someone watching me play one time, the funniest thing is when you fall or get pushed off a cliff

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

https://i.imgur.com/SlKdlNl.mp4

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

https://i.imgur.com/FJazB2i.mp4

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Mentat Radnor posted:

Nice liquid cat.

I've been seeing videos and they remind me of Elden Ring combat, in this one I'm imagining a kind of slow boss reveal animation and then whiffing the first strike

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

https://i.imgur.com/mNdpDFF.mp4

panic rolling when that wasn't actually just a tree or whatever

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Darth Walrus posted:

Treat them as gigantic bags of runes mostly, yeah, although Adulla's Moonblade is a really nice treat for sorcerers.

I feel like this was implied in the game itself the two largest dragons are more like landscape than dragons, there's the one you can kill in Caelid and the other that you climb in Leyndell.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Silynt posted:

I’m not sure if it has been patched, but if you can make it to the bonfire after you kill Greyoll but before she dies (lol weird sentence), you get the runes and she lives!

i tested this and either I was too slow or it's been patched out, but as soon as i touched the SITE OF LOST GRACE i got the dragon hearts and maybe the runes, still had no Greyoll afterwards so if i was too slow the time window is very narrow

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

https://twitter.com/quendergeer/status/1599398399035707394

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

how do you gouge vitality

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

White Light posted:

Are you able to parry Godrick the Grafted? Been using his evergaol ring as a training ground and can't seem to land a single one despite repeat attempts, are his attacks just too drat big to parry? Part of me says yes and am thinking it's a waste of time to do do this 🤔

says on the wiki no:

https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Godrick+the+Grafted

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Oxxidation posted:

it went to "very good" from "better at the game than you are"

they can use stuff from the hotbar that isn't a potion right? i heard they can even use perfumers stuff which is a good reason to not ignore those

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

err posted:

Can someone recommend stats for a strength build? I am level 85 right now and I screwed up my stats respecing repeatedly and only have one larval tear left.

some decent advice upthread and here's some resources for builds that everybody should take a look at:

an in-depth explanation of how the softcaps work

elden ring build planner

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Epic High Five posted:

Vagabond start

this was something I was unsure on, can anyone clarify: does the class you choose carry on to respecs?

BasicLich fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 21, 2022

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

i am harry posted:

i cant really get over how easy elden ring is with vigor at 30, end at 25, and str at 20, and the zweihander...i just run straight at every giant thing INCLUDING RUNEBEARS and stand beneath them beating the poo poo out of them...my first playthrough was with a character at lvl180 with all sorts of stupid poo poo and weapons and spells...its insane how this feels like cheating and im not using anything special at all.

I started a fresh character to try out the Zweihander and holy moley is this thing fun and powerful. What it's really got going for it is the moveset, you can combo out of charged R2 poke into R1 horizontal slashes or into the R2 downward slash. It's got a downward slash on the jump R2 and you can crouch-poke with it

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Ariong posted:

Someone please tell me there's no more of those.

spend those runes as fast as you get them and be sure to use your consumable runes to fill the gaps. you had an opportunity to level up safely right after you killed Margit because he's one of those bosses that spawns a site of grace on defeat.

Sorry that the roundtable hold isn't what you hoped it would be

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

i am harry posted:

Don’t even need an ash of war on it.

no it really doesn't i slapped hoarfrost stomp on it because it's useful for crowd control but i rarely remember its there, i'm gonna try royal knight's resolve because that sounds fun

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

i am harry posted:

35vig 35end 20str zweihander+9 with no ash of war update - four swings took out rennalas dog. just insane.

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

You are a tad overlevelled, and 35 endurance is way too high. Most builds stick to between 24-30 endurance.

But yeah minimum damage stats for that stage of the game's weapon upgrade level, every other point into vigor, is the way to go.

I'm sitting at 32 VIG 25 END 20 STR with a +14 Zweihander and the most trouble i've had so far is the big hands in Carian Manor (had to cheese with fire) and i died twice against Rennala Phase 2 before calling it a night (about 10 minutes ago)

First time I got her down halfway in Phase 2 she sicc'd a Darriwil summon on me after killing my Undead Soldiers +3 and the second time I just ate poo poo trying to drink my Flask of W. Physick. she hosed my poo poo with just one casting of that beam spell she does.

BasicLich fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 23, 2022

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

does anyone else feel like they get worse at the game the more they play? I've been struggling with Radahn and Rennala for like a week now on a new character compared to my first playthrough where it only took me a couple attempts each

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Paracelsus posted:

Some builds have a harder/easier time in some situations, so that could be at work. Other possibilities: you are skipping summoning the other Festival participants against Radahn, or not using ashes during Rennala's second phase to keep her summons busy; you rushed the bosses earlier than you did before, so you haven't levelled vigor or upgraded your weapons as much as you had previously; you are suffering from a degenerative neural condition and need to speak to a doctor ASAP.

Epic High Five posted:

Both are tricky but not exactly S-tier difficult, what's your vigor/build/equip load?

I figured out my problem with Rennala, I wasn't utilizing my summons properly, I was acting too cautious and she started targeting my wolves, when I made an effort draw her fire and dodge it the wolves were able to provide me with plenty of opportunities to punish with a jump attack here and there

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

big cummers ONLY posted:

Are there safe-to-use save editors someone can recommend? I'm assuming if we have randomizers and seamless co-op mods, it should be pretty simple to start the game with a late-game boss weapon or something along those lines.

Can you get banned for doing that? Bummer if so. I just want to use late-game stuff from the very beginning and co-op, I don't even invade :(

nexus mods has a handy thing that keeps you offline and the newest cheatengine table has a great item generator. some items will get your account banned if you go online with them but there's a lot that won't, like the stuff that you can drop during coop

https://www.nexusmods.com/eldenring/mods/90

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Last Celebration posted:

Jarburg is probably the biggest instance of how The Foul Tarnished should just avoid side quests because you really will just make everything much worse by just existing near something for long enough.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

dew worm posted:

Any good videos on leveling up stats and how it all ties in with weapons/equipment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pwhGJ8btEg

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

that radahn character is so much more powerful now it's crazy, i tried cheesing with rotten breath and i did even worse than when i tried cheesing with pulley bow. I'm doing everything recommended in strats like keeping up on summons, using ranged bleed and rot and recently i've been trying to time my mount/dismount for the iframes but i can't reliably pull it off with a normal xbox controller, so i just run into a instakill combo

nothing worse than catching a dismount and then getting done for while your character is getting back up

i killed radahn on my 2nd attempt on my first character but screwed up NPC quests so on my 2nd character I'm just brickwalled here

i'm at the point where even if i do kill him it would be a victory as hollow as his rot-eaten body, just chalk it up to luck

e: for reference I killed Radahn at around lvl 60 using a greatsword on my second try so either he was weaker (based on research this is possible) or i got really lucky that first time (ouch)

BasicLich fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 11, 2023

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Epic High Five posted:

You're a lot safer up close than you think

that's gotta be my problem because when i killed him before there's no way i could get mounted and dismount well or use any consumables besides using the healing flask

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rpoqt6W4cI1qejbir.mp4

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Epic High Five posted:

Mounted combat is a trap, on foot is always safer.

reporting in on my months-long rematch with Starscourge Radahn and this was it, after I abandoned mounted combat and used Torrent as a way traverse distance instead of with ride-by attacks, it was done in a single attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Epic High Five posted:

Must've felt like you had just walked out of a 100x gravity training capsule. Already knew all the patterns only now you can get hit and not get a 10 second stun

i dont know anything about that but it felt like I was constipated for a full season and then finally released it all in a pure beam of energized poo poo that somehow saved the world maybe