Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

tarnished one,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

huh posted:

How are the English language names of various characters/creatures etc. arrived at?

For example Seath. Or Logan. Or Patches. Are they English versions of Japanese names? Like, why Undead Burg? Why Burg? Was that a translation? Or does From have such a mastery of English that they can choose just the right words that the tone is often perfect?

What is the process?

My friend,

https://shetanislair.com/en/posts/lost-in-translation-dark-souls-one

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

Some of the stuff is questionable but like, I think it's neat on how they chose the English names for simple stuff, like Covetous Demon in 2

Japanese - 貪りデーモン [musabari de:mon]
English - Covetous Demon

貪り [musabari] - this kanji was also used in Gaping Dragon from DSI 貪食 [donshoku]. It means "to long insatiably for something". The English localization picked the word "covetous" that has a meaning of "longing for something, especially if somebody else has it". Works great with the lore: when this demon was a man, he desired queen Mytha's love but she loved another. Who would've thought that DSII is full of romance and love stories.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

*chanting* Big map! Big map! Big map! Big map!

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

my bloodborne tip: pistolero

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

i really liked the millwood knight set with a greatbow and battle axe in ds3

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

I can't take this...

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

Not gonna lie, i hope for an eventual unlockable grappling hook but I don't know if it has a place outside of Sekiro :(

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

Aidan_702 posted:

I am going to do what I always do on my first playthrough which is pick the most melee class possible and forget every button other than attack and dodge and make the game much more difficult than it needs to be, but it will also be the most sweaty try-hard and rewarding journey.

:yeah:

No dex allowed, however

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

a foul tarnished
playing as a lord
O_O
no thnx

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

AnEdgelord posted:

Weirdly we still haven't seen Miracles yet

It'll be a "miracle" if this dumpstore fire of a game is any good !!

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

Gologle posted:

So do you think we're going to find out why it's called Elden Ring?

George R.R. Martin is involved in the project and he's old and fat
J. R. R. Tolkien wrote a book about a ring

I guess?

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

Logan 5 posted:

Some of the larger soulsborne people/streamers/content-whatevers are confirmed having 72 hour access to the network test already.

Oroboro

completely insufferable but overall a standard representation of the souls pvper

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

Didn't apply. Getting to play a bit would've been torture for me.

:hfive:

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

don't really care much about the videos but hearing that powerstancing is back is huge

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

the large and great great and large club club can finally return

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

Qmass posted:

poo poo! now I want to play more elden ring. I have been cursed.

for the curse of life is the curse of want

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

People may hate on Dark Souls 2 but the stretch of game from Drangleic Castle to Undead Crypt to Dragon Shrine is my fav sequence in all the games. I have the most hours in non-scholar Dark Souls 2 than any other Souls game

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

anothergod posted:

Double posting to finish my Street Fighter analogy.
Sekiro: uh... Power stone? Sam Sho? Ummm... Sorry idk
Not Street Fight but Bushido Blade

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

I'm honestly genuinely curious how many people don't like Dark Souls 2 versus how many people say they don't like Dark Souls 2 only because everyone else says it.

Did people really just want Dark Souls, but again? That's basically what we got with Dark Souls 3.

I liked that they tried something else

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

skasion posted:

Yeah, it was called Bloodborne

:nallears:

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfo_sbhI5oY

unnerf the vanquisher's seal, cowards

i hope that fists and fist weapons are in elden ring and viable

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

Impermanent posted:

who are teh good ones and what is vaati bad w/ exactly. i want to learn some souls lore

vaati is fine. his original dark souls and dark souls 3 lore vids are good. they're the ones he put out after the games had been out for a while, there's less speculation.

the Sif one...

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

huh posted:

I need a 4k tv and a PS5.

:whatup:

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

mortal shell available on PS+ this month. the hardening mechanic was neat but the game is kind of short

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

well, i don't know about you, but the golden order has been shattered to its core

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

dodgeblan posted:

FromSoft knocks it out of the park when they have the freedom to create a whole world from scratch, but whenever they've had to tie the lore to an existing franchise it's hosed them up.

Elden Ring 2's story is going to be a mess is what I'm trying to say.

dark souls 3 is Rise of the Skywalker

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

it all makes sense

https://twitter.com/_7albi/status/1470784154606489611 for more

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

We have been unwitting pawns in his public humiliation and punishment fetish. He has played us all for fools

i think what he's saying is that, not that he enjoys watching other players die like some sick pervert, but rather he finds it interesting to be killed in certain ways, like a normal pervert

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

I love Sekiro's vertical level designs

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

dodgeblan posted:

i don't think i have the stamina for anything as hard as Isshin Sword Saint again

i'm old and weak now

Try jumping

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Early consensus is that Elden Ring is looking to be a 7.1 difficulty game, compared to DS1's 8.3 rating and Sekiro's 9.0. This will be revised on full release obviously.

Sekiro being a light 9 makes sense but difficulty wise I would put Elden Ring at a medium 8

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

Concurred posted:

a lowly tarnished
playing as a lord
O_O
no thnx

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

Tiger Millionaire posted:

I bought straight from steam as I do not want some sort of digital bandit absconding with my money and causing me to go hollow irl

Don't you dare go hollow...

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

Mons Hubris posted:

The network test demo was a gated off beginner’s area and it whipped rear end

i signed up for the network test but didn't play it because i am a gaming purist,

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

big hammer or axe until i find a bigger hammer or axe

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

i gotta focus. i'm shifting into Souls mode

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

elven ring

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

No climbing system, though I think you can jank climb up slopes you aren't supposed to climb by running against them at an angle and jumping.

What other open world games had absolute climbing? I.e., go anywhere you want. Breath of the Wild, Assassin's Creed Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla, Spider-Man, Genshin, Horizon? Maybe there's a ton of them that I never played

Ghost of Tsushima had a grappling hook but you were still cut off from some spots and couldn't climb every mountain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

lol, "ive only played sekiro" -> picks samurai