Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I want to know what is with that floor with the face the character is walking up the ladder away from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I like that you are called Tarnished as a noun. Not you have been tarnished, but just Tarnished.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I hope the poisonous swamp area is a big area of bones that slowly drag you under unless you keep moving. Just bones everywhere.

Why so many bones? Just because.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Just checked my watch. Thought it might have suddenly been January 2022. Weird.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Don't talk to me or my son ever again

Hahaha

Blind Rasputin posted:

Can you all just loving imagine the VG stream already? How has no one discussed this. We demand calendar accountability. Sorry VG late January/early February is NOW BOOKED.

It is locked and loaded my good sir!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Yeah if you look at DS3 and Sekiro built for PS4 they still look amazing, so there is no question this is going to be great as well.

Maybe the upcoming PS5/X version will be a bit more NuDes like, but I am not bothered if not.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
If you have played NuDes (on the mythical unreleased PS5) I get why people want a graphical powerhouse From Game.

It is the best looking game I have played (imagined) but there is nada wrong with the art direction on any of the other games and this looks fantastic too.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Thinking about that dragon grabbing that spear of lightning.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

huge Divine Sakura Dragon vibes

What. A. Boss.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Are embers back baby because I am seeing some hot takes in this thread!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
me looking at the defeated bones of Bloodborne, dark souls 1,2,3, demons souls and sekiro: :hai:
Elden ring creeping up on me: :twisted:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
If elden ring is just all the best bits of every From game mashed up into a big old wide world of fun, then it is very possible that it could topple Portal 2 as my favourite game of all time. This is no joke.

Sekiro being 4th favourite and Bloodborne being 2nd favourite means this is entirely within the realms of may actually happen and I feel a sense of excitement about it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I think someone said to me that Sekiro was not as well sold as the previous games. 5 million to DS3s 10 million. Activision being what they are they maybe thought it not worth it.

After seeing the ending I saw There is definitely room for more

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Sekiro was an unmitigated success, both critically and commercially, and Activision was very outspoken about how well it did. From games are quite niche on the whole, and DS3 is the only game they've made that's sold over 5 mil.

Then I misheard and am completely wrong! :( I would love some Sekiro DLC. Every other DLC has been the best part of the games.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Bonfire mimics would be brilliant. They always scared the bits out of me when I got shocked by the scholar in DS2.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Excited that Elden Ring will have a sixth archstone, after all these years

Is it possible Bluepoint will make Demons Souls DLC for that broken archstone? Seems a shame to never have it, though as flavour and lore it is cool there is this always broken never accessible part of the world. A bit like in God of War with the places you cannot visit.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I sure hope not. Some other random developer adding whatever they think is cool to Demon's Souls seems deeply profane.

Capital profane. ;)

Coolness Averted posted:

Last I read that's not likely to happen, both Bluepoint and From wanted it to be more faithful to the original, and felt adding new content like that begins to open to door to more heavily changing the game.

This makes sense. Drat. I do wonder what was in that closed off world. I think I just want more souls. Only a few months to go.

This looks phenomenal! I would face that. I would be scared, but I would face it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I get the feeling it is a big world with six distinct areas and dungeons in those areas. The place around those areas has remnants and castle and whatnot for you to go off adventuring for fun as well.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

mary had a little clam posted:

I got super bored of Sekiro's repetitive combat towards the end and just turned on a cheat engine thing.

:prepop:

I wish I knew what to say to this. I guess we see the game completely differently in every way.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I just hope it has mikiri counters.

In every from game spears guys, dogs and arrow guys gave me trouble. Sekiro gave me shurikens to defeat dogs and Mikiri to defeat spear guys.

I laughed my way through. They would never hurt me again.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Also my first attempt at Geni phase three I was able to win on a mikiri counter and it made me feel like a true shinobi.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

If you want some fromsoft game hot takes I got a good one for ya

Do they actually mean Dark Souls 1 or some other game beginning with DS?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Regy Rusty posted:

This just in, Elden Ring will allow you to catch and return arrows

Yes Please! (and keep with the shurikens and mikiris and we have the greatest FromSoft game ever.)

Groovelord Neato posted:

There are two people in that thread with insanely bad souls takes. The other one was saying Lords of the Fallen is better than DS2.

:prepop: :prepop:

PYF Bad FromSoftware Takes Thread. We have quite a few already.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Xenolalia posted:

Nothing in Sekiro was as frustrating to me as playing DS2 on launch and seeing a message floating on a ledge that looked out of bounds, so i'm like "oh poo poo secret item"

So after spending like an hour parkouring and doing bullshit to get to this secret ledge i landed on it and the message just said "horse but hole" and i closed the game.

This is actually wonderful :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I loved Disco Elysium but Games hosed up in 2019 naming it #1 over Sekiro, and I stand by that claim :colbert:

It was a fair contest is all I can say.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
My game of the year 2019 was Prey (2017) but if I had played Sekiro that year as well it would have been my number 1.

At least Elden Ring is out next year. Not sure what I would do if I had to organise another Fromsoftware games into a top ten list already containing five of their games.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
When a game click it is so satisfying and each time a from game has clicked it has been more satisfying that before. Sekiros click was the most and it was when I beat Owl 2.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

For me it was probably beating Lady Butterfly. Beating Genichiro on the rooftop was superb, but Lady Butterfly was the first major roadblock I hit and figuring that out was such a great feeling.

I have had a weird experience with the bloodseksouls games in that for vast majorities of them I have stumbled through with what feels like either a ton of luck, or a second mind actually doing the controlling of my fingers while my upper mind watches me and it all happens. Some bosses I arrived at and beat first time without even realising what was going on (quite a few goons watched me do this and some were just as surprised as me).

Owl 2 was the first time I was playing and I felt like I was doing it and learning and applying myself. I loved it. :D I plan on replaying all these games again at the end of next year and seeing if it was luck or my secret second mind.

Groovelord Neato posted:

There's nothing in games that compares to getting dumpstered by a boss for an hour straight and then having it click and manhandling them without taking a hit.

I have only played From games since November 2020, but I get it :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

UrbicaMortis posted:

I think sometimes you can really fluke a boss on your first fight with them. I almost killed Ludwig first try and then didn't get him to his second phase the next fifteen tries. It's weird.

Absolutely agree. I have just played all the from games from beginning to end one after the other (BB-DS123-SEK-DeS) and the amount of times I walked into an area and just beat them was weirdly high though. Some of the first times are: Gravelord nito, belfry gargoyles, Burnt Ivory King, dancer of boreal valley, Soul of cinder, and Enshin.

I want to play through the games again, in the same order, and see what happens :) Hopefully a year of soaking in the skills works out well.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

I remember when that annoying streamer dsp, notorious for being terrible at these games and blaming the controls, beat isshin his first try. Think he just brute forced it by spamming the axe and got extremely lucky lol

:aaaaa: I do not know what to say if this is true.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

God I don't care how many times I see it, I laugh every time:

Somehow when I played it the first time I ran in, saw him, nearly fell off the edge trying to escape and did a turn back. I was so proud of missing them.

Then after dying a little bit later I forgot they were there and ran in and got hoofed off.

A great little trick :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
All my 2021 I am preparing for this game.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am terrible at invasions. Honestly, just the worst. I know I will get destroyed every time someone invades my game. There is something so different about fighting human players that I cannot wrap my head around. I still loved it though because it was always a case of 'Will this be the first time I beat a human player?'

The entirety of my final day playing DS2 on the last section of the game I had a repeat invader into my world over the course of the 7 hours and he kept having this fun weird battles where he would always be dressed in something else and trying a new gimmick. One battle my weapon broke so he gave me a door shield and we tried to fight each other with those instead.

No other game has ever given me something like that :)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I would literally donate my life.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Brb calling Miyazaki up so he will let people pre-order. He reached out to me this year after Demons Souls. To apologise for the slugs. We are besties now.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I like how every post of Cowcasters about why bloodborne is good are good and true.

Also because of playing Bloodborne first I never used a shield, I would just have the grass crest one on my back through runs keeping my stamina topped up while I launched into enemies with my massive clubs and dual sellswords.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Been going over Sekiro and Bloodborne in my mind these last few days. I think....I might like Sekiro the very most.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

acyclicity posted:

I hope Elden Ring is a fun game like Sekiro and DS3 and not an unfun game like Bloodborne and DS2.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

acyclicity posted:

Dunno. Maybe it's an uncommon opinion, but I just listed my two favorite From Software games followed by my two least favorite.

So many people are down on DS2 so I think it is the more prevalent opinion, so that I understand even if I do not agree.

Calling Bloodborne unfun when you like DS3 and Sekiro is what confuses me more. That I am trying to understand and I cannot. What is it about bloodborne you think is unfun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

acyclicity posted:

There were a bunch of small things that added up, I guess? The healing mechanic is terrible (only Demon's Souls' is worse), the game lags even on the PS5 (I assume it's the 30 fps thing), the difficulty is very uneven (everything except the DLC bosses and the later Chalice Dungeons is relatively easy, while those are really hard), the side-quest NPCs are less interesting, the weapon upgrades and builds feel more limited, etc., etc.

If I had to point to one major thing I didn't like it's that in every other From Software game I felt like I was getting better as I kept playing, but in Bloodborne that never happened. Every boss fight was either too easy or I just got lucky dodging a bunch of flailing moves I could barely see. Incidentally, Bloodborne is the only Souls-like where I could not reliably avoid attacks even after I had built up the correct muscle memory. None of the areas were memorably difficult, the way something like Blighttown or The Ritual Path were, so the main challenge was not getting lost.

Thank you for explaining. I am not able to quite see it from your point of view. I did not have the same experiences at all, but I get why you would dislike it compared to DS3 and Sekiro :)