Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bug Squash posted:

You go into the elevator in the undead church and it leads you right back to Firelink Shrine, and you should be cheering and clapping like a circus seal. That's when you realise this is something special.
I'm pretty much at this point in Elden Ring in Stonething castle. I thought I was horrifyingly lost, and then suddenly I find a shortcut back to the nearest grace and feel like gently caress yes this rules, now I can get back to the courtyard, grab my 6k runes and all I have to do is get past one fairly easily cheesed grafted.

I can't decide whether to upgrade my uchigatana or lordsworn straight sword past +3. Was going to go with the short spear but it just feels a bit cheesy since you can just hide behind your shield even more. Straight sword seems faster and is great fun with battle cry, but also unsheathe is so much fun.

I like the kaiden armour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I am pretty addicted to guard countering, yes. It's somehow even more satisfying than circle backstabbing or parrying (which I never got the hang of the timing on anyway), and I have the talisman that gives me health back on a crit as well.

It's only annoying when I get something like those big silver knight bastards that have more poise than me.

I'll try the great estoc, I think I got it with the help of my Godrick Knight ashes who have been incredibly useful so far.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

axolotl farmer posted:

I have been using the starter uchigatana the whole game and I’m currently in the Academy.

Is it viable for the whole game like the DS1 version? The weapon arts ashes are pretty good.
Is the academy after Godrick? I got Godrick and empowered his rune and am having Uchigatana fun as well, though I started as a wretch and just found it in a tomb. But I also headed south across the bridge and that seems more my level than the undead guys up by Boc.

Looking forward to possibly being able to respec, I already have one of the things but I don't remember how.

Also Demon's Souls is 50% off on PSN, I am trying to resist.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It would be good if you could get the bell bearings by completing a quest for the vendor rather than by accidentally rolling into them too many times.

Visited the ashes vendor in limgrave at night. What the fuuuuuuck

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's fair enough talking about making it more straightforward in terms of fiddliness and menus and going back and forth between menus / vendors; but in terms of making it easier or more straightforward, that kind of goes against it being a From game? I feel like these games are rewarding because of the effort it takes to understand the way they work, and the feeling you get when you do finally grok it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The thing I don't like (and haven't liked in any souls game) is when you use all your upgrades on one sword, and then find a better version with stats that are better in every concievable way but just requires more weight allowance.

I hear that's not really a problem in ER, but shields are a bit like that, especially the first time I started and there was the heater, beast heater, yellow & blue heater and then brass shields.

Yes it's the sort of thing you can look up on a wiki but then why not just look everything up beforehand? That definitely does go against that spirit of exploring, finding a new weapon and being able to try it out to see.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 27, 2023

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I am now mad because the knight chest is better armour than the kaiden chest, and I have the weight for it, but it means I no longer look this cool:

E: see, nowhere near as cool:

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 28, 2023

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I do also have a seal to switch to on the right hand for fireballs, and a longbow on the left for cheesing at longer distances.

I can kind of do the banished knight greaves if I put the arsenal charm on.

Gologle posted:

BRO LOOK OUT BEHIND YOU
oh god oh gently caress she can't hear us

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Half-wit posted:

Well, I'm level 284 and I don't have any problems getting folks to summon me by just throwing the summon sign out to any and all locations.
That's reassuring at least. I've been having trouble finding summons for some of the boss fights and was wondering if I'd overlevelled - kind of hard to tell what level you're supposed to be, and I remember reading that was a problem in DS1.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 30, 2023

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

An entire town of people doing 'hosed up little man' dialogue would be great.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I think I missed Edgar's quest by loving around and doing stuff in the wrong order. Spoke to his daughter, she gave me the letter, I then cleared most of the upper map and Stormveil Castle, and when I got back she was dead. Finally went down to Castle Morne and he wasn't at his bench, either before or after killing the boss. Got to the shack last night and killed him as an invader.

It's one of the drawbacks of there being less guidance in Souls games. My wife was asking me if it's true there's no 'this enemy is too high level for you' indicator in the game and initially I said I liked it that way - it's more realistic that you approach an enemy to see how tough it is and if you do gently caress all damage you go somewhere else and come back later with better gear and stats, like that is a core part of the game.

But equally it does also lead to things like this where if you do take the challenge of going straight to the castle and then summoning past Godrick, you can gently caress quests up?

Like I managed to snipe the ballista operator and get across the bridge relatively early, spoke to the daughter, but then saw a giant and thought gently caress that and noped out of there, and i think that might have been what broke the sequence?

The two things kind of seem at odds with each other. Explore and come back later when you're tougher, but also don't wander off and do other things!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Fair enough. My godrick soldiers had my back during the manimal fight anyway.

There's still a grace trail pointing to the castle, which is a bit annoying.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I think I'm just griping because I'm only likely to play games through once nowadays, just don't have the time to do stuff like "hey what if I did a 2 hand dagger no poise run."

I'm somewhat tempted to look up endings to make sure I walk away feeling like I didn't gently caress everything up by accidentally picking up enough things for the bad ending, but have resisted so far.

To be clear I am really enjoying playing in a way I haven't enjoyed playing viddy games in a long time. From games are very rewarding in a pretty unique way, they can just have some frustrating quirks as well.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I don't want either of Godrick's weapons, should I just eat his soul for the runes?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

No Dignity posted:

So you really want that guy's soul floating around in you?
I'm looking at it in my inventory. Bit of salt, bit of lemon, fry it up with some noodles it'll be quite nice.

Also I just found Rogier after summoning 2 humans to kill Godrick, and he's like "Oh, that must have been nice, good for you, anyway have my sword, can't really use it any more, legs are all messed up. Ignore the ominous thorns sticking out of the blanket. Anyway, glad you had fun without me." :unsmith:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

How am I, a man of moral fibre, expected to clear Academy Gate Town when those boys are s'dang cute.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I like choices in games where the choice is like 'do something for this person and they will become an ally / turn on them to make an enemy of them because it turns out they are a dick' sort of thing. Where the game rewards your choice by giving you the outcome you worked to achieve.

I like choices less when they are tell the blind girl she's been eating eyeballs or not (especially when its a single, contextless choice you have no way of knowing how it'll turn out) and the outcome of that is not at all intuitive as to whether she may or may not appear later and give you a really good item, or cause another npc to die, or not get a free summon for a boss fight, or put you on course for a weird ending.

I will always love games that give you the former type of questline like Mass Effect where your quest is to go do the thing, two or three people give you a choice how to do the thing, and as you go through the process of the questline you get all the info about the questgivers and their goals and then you make an informed choice that turns out how you should expect based on the info you were given.

HOWEVER the latter kind of choice feels more at home in a From game, where you are in a weird land you don't know anything about or understand except through hints from item and weapon descriptions. It feels right to be faced with a question from an NPC and think 'I have no idea how this is going to go.' Not satisfying or comfortable, but very much on brand.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The Witcher 3 is probably a mid point between the two extremes. You get a clear goal set by the quest giver, the process of going through the quest gives you the info you need to make The Big Decision, but usually after you make the decision there is a twist which gives you the unexpected outcome, like Dijkstra reveals the whole thing was a setup, or the villagers find the godling, or the crones could have been trusted or whatever.

I think the thing that bugs me is that in most games or in a version where you had more control, you would ask questions like 'what are you going to do if i choose this,' 'why do you want that,' 'who are you,' 'why should I trust you' and 'where can i find you once we're done.' You could get more context.

But again, the fear of the unknown and having to just bite the bullet and face it anyway definitely feels right for a From game.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

And after escaping the endless loop of suffering, you can play it again on NG+!

That but with the "Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?" text.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

^^^ You can do that in HDR, but unfortunately each game looks a bit weird in a different way in HDR on my TV.

No Dignity posted:

Also, genuinely, do other games have exhaustive dialogue logs? I can't think of a single one that does, it seems a strange thing to fixate in as as proof that From don't care about their narrativea
Diablo 4 at the very least has the chat log at the bottom, so when you phase out during 2 lines of filler dialogue and then realise the 3rd actually sounded important, you can look at the chat box to go over it again.

It's not exhaustive, but if you realise after the line is done processing that something sounded important, you don't have to then try and look up the dialogue, or hit the 'record the last [x] seconds of gameplay or try and catch the subtitle before it disappears or whatever.

Not saying From don't care about their narratives, because they clearly do, and for the most part the way you uncover it from item descriptions, boss names and environmental storytelling is pretty cool and unique, and also pretty successful.

But also some way of going back over the stuff you've learned from cutscenes and places visited would be nice. You can always go over the item descriptions but you also randomly get (for example) the blind girl realising something about the light, which she only tells you once and then summarises around it the next time you ask her (and then moves somewhere else). So if the doorbell went or you got a call or your wife calls you from the other end of the house and you miss it, you miss it.

It doesn't have to be viewed as a failing in From's storytelling in terms of the quality of the content, just the methodology. It'd also just be a nice thing for people who tend to suffer from "Wait, which one's Malenia and which one's Marika again?"

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 2, 2023

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

LazyMaybe posted:

and then there's just general esoterica like Roderika saying [...] and then you're sort of just left with that and have to eventually assume she's just being loving weird and talking about bodybags or something
That sort of thing makes a lot more sense with what someone was saying earlier about Miyazaki loving watching western movies while barely understanding the subtitles and trying to replicate that. I'd love to be able to speak fluent enough Japanese to be able to compare the translations to see how the specific word choices compare between the English & Japanese dialogue.

LazyMaybe posted:

who the gently caress turned boc into a tree anyway
I got the impression it was the other demihumans in the beach cave he talks about? Other demihumans on the Weeping Peninsula can disguise themselves as bushes to ambush you (and there's one group in Limgrave that do it as well).

It seems like he either got turned into a tree as a curse / bullying by the others, or used the disguise himself to get away from them; and then either way, couldn't work out how to get out of it again.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 3, 2023

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

well it's the 2nd biggest crime after the duck feet on the banished knight set
I am so mad about that, but it does let me be cool and wear kaiden armour & bandit mask again.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Really the best fashion ring is the prisoner shirt. Wear the prisoner shirt with the heaviest gloves, legs and shield you can find.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Alright, that post was meant for a completely different thread, what the gently caress.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 5, 2023

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Quote is not edit! Have a picture of the boy instead:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm amazed how quickly I got to the point where I could get killed and think "Ehh, it's only 7k runes, I'll not bother."

E: oh, also i beat hogwarts

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I immediately got spoilered thanks to one of those '10 things you should know before playing elden ring' videos where the overworked and half asleep video editor used background footage of Melina talking about having burned the erdtree.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Is there a co-op summon point in Sellia? Don't remember what they're called, but the little statues with their arms up that connect you to the summoning pool.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

In general, what tends to be the progression in terms of what areas to do?

I did west limgrave obviously, then stormhill, then started exploring east limgrave. Then I broke through Stormveil castle and started making my way through liurnia, liurnia west, tried liurnia east, tried raya lucaria, got the crap beaten out of me, and did weeping peninsula instead. Managed to get summons to help beat raya lucaria, but now I sort of feel like I'm wandering about.

Now I'm not sure where to go. Caelid? I'm about level 60 with a high dex uchigatana and longbow.

I think I accidentally ended up taking the coward's path up the side of a cliff to the altus plateau as well. Also i killed Loretta and found a dragon in the area behind her, but then it buggered off with a 3rd of its health and now I can't find it.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 12, 2024

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Goodness General Radahn is somewhat of a challenge, isn't he.

Is there any way of avoiding his meteor or do I just gotta hope it doesn't one shot me?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Annath posted:

The meteor targets a large area centered on where you were standing when he launched into the air.

If you run in a straight line as soon as he lifts off it literally cannot hit you.

Sum Gai posted:

Be on Torrent. He doesn't track well enough to follow you if you're riding.
Seems like I have a tactic, thankyou!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Sum Gai posted:

Be on Torrent. He doesn't track well enough to follow you if you're riding.
I can't seem to use the horse even though a bunch of guides online also talk about using it. My guy just does that little animation of reaching round and looking surprised.

Also I can't seem to summon more than one sunbro at a time, though I think that's mostly down to there just not being enough players online any more.

I think I've hit a wall, everywhere seems to be out of my level range. I ended up riding round Altus and getting the remaing maps, a checkpoint inside the city, and I'm not really sure what to do.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I thought the traditional name for hammers was bonk, not doot? To doot is surely a trumpet thing.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bonk for stronk, got it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Question. I have a +16 Uchigatana. I used the Sacred blade ash of war to make it holy.

Does the sacred blade buff stack extra holy damage on top of the holy scaling, or not? Is it better to go keen and just keep buffing? I have 27 dex and 18 faith if this helps.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I have one larval tear left, please help.

I currently have a 30 dex 20ish (25 with the talisman) faith build that is bad. Using a holy uchigatana with sacred blade that I overenthusiastically upgraded to +16.

I have recently discovered I have no idea how scaling works on seals. I was using the beast seal until 2 nights ago when I found out it scales off strength. Just strength?

I only have 12 strength anyway, so I switched it out for the basic finger seal and my damage went up a lot but still not as good as (for example) the serpent bow. So I do not know how scaling works apparently.

This is probably not going to make sense as a question because I think I've got it a bit tangled up in my head, but does the sacred blade projectile always scale with faith, does it only scale if it's a holy weapon, or if I made the uchigatana keen, would the sacred attack scale with that?

If i respecced to strength / faith (for which there seems to be more synergy) would the strength affect incantations as well on normal seals?

I'm discovering I'm actually not incredibly bothered about spells since most of the good ones also seem to need amounts of int and arcane, and sacred blade has in a weird way replaced most of the poke functions I would have used things like flame sling for.

I started as pure dex, found out i could respec, played about with a magic/int build that seemed horribly underwhelming as well (but I might just have been using the wrong staff) and then found out I had limited respecs.

I think dex was working pretty well, and would probably be happy using that if the sacred blade attack scaled with keen, but I just don't have the tears (real or larval) to mess about experimenting.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Fenrisulfr posted:

As for build advice, what level are you and what's your Vigor?
Level 76

VIG 28
MIN 19
END 20
STR 14
DEX 30
INT 12
FAI 20
ARC 12

Sacred uchigatana +16

Keen blue gold kite shield +5
Serpent bow +6
Finger seal

Black hood
Confessor armor
Radahn's gauntlets
Radahn's greaves

Erdtree's favor (to avoid fatroll)
2 fingers heirloom
gold scarab

Godrick's rune as necessary

For most of the game until I beat renalla I put 2 points in vigor & dex for every 1 point in endurance and strength, then realised I didn't need strength if I went keen, so left it at 12 along with int faith & arcane so I could use a few basic spells.

From what I can see online it looks like i'd be getting much better results with high faith and low enough dex/str purely to expand the available weapons & equipment?

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 23, 2024

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Thanks for the advice, as it happens I just got to Nokron, so the game is absolutely making GBS threads larval tears at me now.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

goodness the carian knight armour is loving gorgeous isn't it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

Yeah that armor set is sick as hell, good armor and poise for its weight too iirc
I can just about get the Radahn gloves and greaves without fatrolling if I equip the black hood and arsenal talisman. The whole outfit looks boss and I feel tanky.

Epic High Five posted:

At least it isn't the Banished Knight leggings
:wotwot: