Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Firstborn posted:

I am kind of bummed that it's also last gen. I get it... but it still stings a little.
It also has to run on PC anyway so it's not like they could have built it specifically for PS5/XSX's bells and whistles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I prefer the sparser detail style of Dark Souls 1 over the greebled crumbling-stone-everything of Dark Souls 3 anyway, so I thought it looked great.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Demon's Souls isn't a FROM game anymore and they had nothing to do with the remaster so I wouldn't look to that with any form of expectation whatsoever.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Comrade Fakename posted:

Yeah, why would I expect a software company to make good software? Graphical/technical prowess isn't magic, these games make From a shitload of money, they can afford to just hire programmers.
Do you think if you just fill up the fuel tank with enough Programmer Energy then the games become proportionally better looking or something

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

You know what, this simply isn't true. The original DeS/BB were both very much influenced by the culture and work of Japan Studio, and not only were they very much present with the remake but Bluepoint absolutely got Miyazaki's blessing for the project. I guarantee it wouldn't have been made otherwise. nuDeS is wildly faithful to the artistic ambitions of the original game, to the point where I'm really surprised that certain things were left in, and the people who talked poo poo can suck an egg.
I think you misunderstood what I said. I just said it's not a FROM game anymore, in that (as far as I can tell) their name is literally not even mentioned in the remake except at the very end of the game when the original Demon's Souls PS3 credits are tacked on after the main credits. I only meant that nobody should look at nuDeS as an indicator of what future FROM games might look like, since people tend to associate Demon's Souls very closely with FROM and may not realize that they aren't involved in it anymore.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Comrade Fakename posted:

If by "the fuel tank" you mean money and "Programmer Energy" you mean hiring a larger team of well-managed programmers to work on the graphics technology of their games, then yes.
It's about more than just slotting programmers into chairs working on "graphics technology". Any programmer will tell you that adding more people to a team doesn't automatically make the team work faster or produce better work. Aside from that, the look of a game is an end-to-end product from the designers to the artists and the asset production pipeline to the programmers, even the non-graphics programmers, since everything in an engine has to co-exist 1/60th of a second at a time. Having technology that everyone involved knows inside and out and knows what they can do is not something to toss aside lightly. Having cutting edge graphical technology does not guarantee that your game won't look and run like poo poo (see: Unreal Engine).

Besides, you have to leave something for Bluepoint to do in 2028.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Sekiro's plot is about stopping an immortal general from creating an unstoppable army and Bloodborne's plot is about aliens and mad scientists. This will be their first non-Souls game that (seems like it) has an overtly Souls-like plot. But since the Souls series has been done for over four years now and Elden Ring seems to have a much different scope, it feels more like they're creating a spiritual successor to the Souls games without being tied to the pre-existing expectations of making an actual Souls game.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
If FROM releases a Souls-like game that doesn't have at least one enemy with the exact moveset and animations of the red-eye knights from Demon's Souls then I would consider it a failure

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

cool av posted:

i think enjoyment of BotW is directly proportional to how much imagination and sense of wonder you still have (I have very little)
Agreed. I wish I could have played BotW in 2006 instead of Oblivion, when wide open vistas were novel. But these days "holy poo poo, you can see over in the distance and also walk over there??" is a distant memory and has been replaced with "ugh, I have to walk all the way over there??" That said, if anyone can pull it off in a way that still makes me feel something, I think it's Miyazaki.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Sure, but I'm expecting any sort of sekrio-like stealth takedown system though.
If anything those are basically just the backstabs from the Souls games. If Dark Souls had a sneak stance so you could sneak up on enemies without walking at 1 pixel per second, it would basically have a stealth takedown system as it is.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I sure hope not. Some other random developer adding whatever they think is cool to Demon's Souls seems deeply profane.
There's a fairly significant portion of the sixth archstone map left in the original game, so they could theoretically do something in the same vein as what FROM originally intended. It would still take a huge amount of artistic license to turn it into something playable though, and presumably it was cut for a reason in the first place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjkdKKgmofA

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
You can't literally teabag in Dark Souls but I think spamming your block animation is the spiritual equivalent. I would like to hear more about the pay to win consumables though.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

quote:

Yes, I am very upset about Hydra, because it's Lake Beast. I feel like localization is trying to make many things more familiar, thus more comfortable, instead of leaving the player guessing or scared, as intended. Trivializing a mysterios Lake Beast into Hydra that everybody has heard about is ruining the unsettling atmosphere of Dark Souls where many things should spook you by their unfamiliar-ness.
Can someone remind me where that thing is actually mentioned by name in game? It doesn't have a boss bar or any unique items associated with it as far as I remember. I guess it's in the lore somewhere, or someone's dialogue? It's been awhile since I've done a proper playthrough of Dark Souls where I read everything and talk to everyone.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Miyazaki said somewhere that GRRM basically wrote him a D&D dungeon master's campaign setting guide which he is using to build the actual story. It sounds like GRRM created the entire world and Miyazaki is working within it, the same way a DM would build their own campaign within the Forgotten Realms or whatever.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
To me, SotFS Iron Keep is the intermission of the game where you just put on some music or something and farm it until it's empty.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I wonder who this Painted World will belong to.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Cowcaster posted:

man if i can't run elden ring because of the new console generation obsoleting my 1060 i'm going to be unhappy and then probably drop 2 grand on a new computer
drat, where are you getting all the parts other than the GPU for free?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Reused assets and inexplicably recurring characters are a key ingredient to the postmodern Fromsoft experience

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I imagine if they did do scaling it wouldn't just be "enemy HP = X * player level" or whatever like in Skyrim. I imagine it would be more like world progression where harder enemies spawn after you've progressed a certain amount.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I noticed there's one attack that I'm pretty sure is the same as the Mortal Draw from Sekiro (minus the huge effect during the attack):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3MNCu5fUak&t=845s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WDA6C-4VtQ&t=22s

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I hope From never stops reusing their animations. It's part of the fabric of the cosmos.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
People don't like Darkroot Garden? :wtc:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

skasion posted:

Elden Ring: it turna out to be a dump’s to fire

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Bloodborne was also initiated by and co-developed with Japan Studio and they're gone now. I don't think FROM will ever be revisiting it themselves.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Miyazaki said he used GRRM's work as a dungeon master would use a campaign setting guide so I imagine there's nothing specifically from GRRM's writing in the narrative.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Cowcaster posted:

fishing is in but making the 60 hour fishing minigame mandatory to complete the game was a big mistake imho
Can't believe they replaced the concept of boss souls with Triforce shards.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Everyone is talking about Ubisoft and Breath of the Wild because nobody wants to say the most obvious comparison of all in case the monkey paw curls.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
drat they brought back the Boreal Outrider Knight from Dark Souls 3 and didn't even have the decency to give you an elevator shaft to lure him down

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Blind Rasputin posted:

The change to flasks is..simply awesome. I watched Skillup’s video and totally agree with him. Usually the flaks mechanic makes leaving a bonfire feel like an expedition of attrition: go as far as you can before running out of flasks, then go back or maybe get to the next bonfire.

Elden Ring? Killing packs of enemies or a difficult enemy grants flask refills. Literally a keep going, keep fighting, keep exploring mechanic. He says it dramatically increases uptime and in this open world type game, it’s truly made perfect.

loving awesome.
This was exactly the thing that made The Surge 2 my favourite Soulslike of all time

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Miyazaki is the president of From Software now. I doubt a Dark Souls II situation would happen at this point.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I recently put like 80 hours into a massive Dark Souls 1 replay (SL1 on NG and then platinum trophy on four subsequent NGs) and it didn't take too long to get used to the limited dodging directions again. The most important direction to dodge is straight ahead anyway.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

acyclicity posted:

Dark Souls 2 has the single worst area in any video game I have ever played. There's a lot of stuff not to like, but Frigid Outskirts, by itself, is so bad it warps my perception of the game as a whole.
That's an area they added for coop parties. You're not actually supposed to go there by yourself.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I have no problem with the carry limit in Demon's Souls, though it would not work at all in subsequent games. Demon's Souls being a game where you have a home base and you venture out on a mission and then return means it makes a lot more sense to have a limit on what you can carry and pick up, and force the player to plan ahead. It's pretty standard for RPGs to have a carry limit and Dark Souls not having one was kind of a departure from the norm.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I don't even think Lost Izalith is that bad. New Londo is my least favourite area in the game and finally draining it so I don't ever have to fight another room full of ghosts is the best part of the playthrough.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The main problem is that the room before Ingward has ghosts drifting in from outside at all angles and you basically have to kill them all or else they'll knock you off the ladder on the way up. It's not difficult, it's just a huge drag.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Blood Vials aren't that bad now that you can store 600 of them. At launch you could only store 99 which really sucked.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
How would Estus even work in Bloodborne, given that there's no resting/bonfire mechanic to replenish them? Having healing items being drops means you can keep playing and healing as long as there are enemies to kill that drop them. It works in your favour in all cases except when you're stuck on a boss for an extended period of time and even then it's not hard to farm up several runs worth of vials. I don't even remember running out of blood vials during Orphan of Kos which took me literally days to finally beat.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Healing items aren't a crutch, you're supposed to lean on them. That's why they're easily replenished and you can carry so many of them, but they're still a resource nonetheless. The rally system augments it but Bloodborne is about being aggressive and not being afraid to take a little damage. That means rallying through what you can and healing through the rest.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Vookatos posted:

Just make the player sit at lamps?
It's not hard to farm them, far from it, but I can't see why a system that was nearly (or maybe even completely) PERFECT was substituted for that. I'm less annoyed and more baffled that we went back to Demon's style of healing.
Bloodborne is not a Souls game or even strictly a Fromsoft game so saying "why did they change this mechanic from this other game I like that was co-developed by the same company" does not make one bit of sense. The healing system was designed for the world and playstyle of Bloodborne, not for Dark Souls, it's as simple as that.

Volte fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Sure, they could have decided to use the Estus mechanic like Elden Ring does. It's not that it's not a Souls game therefore no Estus. I'm just saying they didn't "change" anything since it's a standalone game with its own mechanics and rules. They didn't make a huge departure from the previous games in the series because there are no previous games in the series. Expecting all Fromsoft games from now on to use various Dark Souls mechanics is just a flawed expectation.

I always thought that Bloodborne felt more like a spiritual successor to Demon's Souls anyway, like Dark Souls and Bloodborne are two forks off the same starting point.