Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

VideoGames posted:

I want to know what is with that floor with the face the character is walking up the ladder away from.

You’ll pick up an chisel nearby and the description will read “some say this was used to carve a face”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

I can't imagine any other game where GRRM's involvement makes so much sense but it also so wasted. What are there like two people in the world only interested because Big George is helping?

This could've been in collaboration Henry Kissinger and I'd be throwing a £200 pre-order at them if they asked

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

I wonder what the 'you never die' conceit is...there's this from the site but uh I still don't know what it means.

"And now the guidance of grace will be brought to the Tarnished who were spurned by the grace of gold and exiled from the Lands Between. Ye dead who yet live, your grace long lost, follow the path to the Lands Between beyond the foggy sea to stand before the Elden Ring."

I assume you've been banished to some limbo dimension and found by a firekeeper waifu to....kill everyone

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

How are people complaining about the visuals of this game AND nu demons souls?

If you all don’t pipe down I’m calling Miyazaki and telling him we’re delaying it and doing it Wind Walker style.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi8msYeehBg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_ywF3fp564

I made a rather gushing post in another thread when I found out that Tenchu composer Noriyuki Asakura worked on Sekiro's soundtrack sub rosa :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSKFDJbqS6g in the post you quoted - I'm getting serious George Michael's "Faith" vibes from this

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

That's some of the most 1997 poo poo I've ever heard

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Nuns with Guns posted:

You mean the phase where it rips its arms out? That part is super easy. You need to get under it, then when it hops into the air, dash forward through where its little tail was a minute ago and it'll graciously land with its big booger head right next to you to smack until you can break it for a final visceral. If you time it right, and have a decently fast weapon, you can even get a full charge attack off right as it lands next to you.

Ah you mean using ludwig’s sword R2 and employing the only realistic strategy for beating the chalice dungeon Amy. It’s either get utterly wrecked over and over or win the fight without taking a single hit

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Shoehead posted:

It's Scottish, Scots and Irish sound nothing alike despite being cousins

I dunno which one you’re talking about but Aoife on the euro gamer video is Northern Irish (Norn uirish)

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Guys can we do a whip round

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

MechaSeinfeld posted:

1. It’s extremely hosed up that this year is over in like three months
2. Elend ring

gimme elben ding now I don't wanna wait

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

huh posted:

Is there better 3rd person combat in gaming than FROM?

Witcher 3 is janky as.

The closest anything came was Jedi Knight 2 imo and it’s quite janky looking back on it

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

elden ring out yet

I”m playin elevenses rings now

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

I personally am of the opinion that all we barely deserved was one quasi-gameplay trailer. We aren’t worthy. We must be kept in the dark to see it’s true, blinding splendour all at once.

Eblen ding

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

aipsh when the gently caress can i preorder this junk

If it’s not Dec 1st I’ll eat a three day probe

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Gologle posted:

How does anyone sleep with a giant glowing tree outside their windows at all hours

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

I am going to do what I always do on my first playthrough which is pick the most melee class possible and forget every button other than attack and dodge and make the game much more difficult than it needs to be, but it will also be the most sweaty try-hard and rewarding journey.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

no cross play between consoles :negative: when will this tyranny end

Man can you blame them? Someone has to move the beads on their 300 year old engine in real time

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

gonna put some effort into re-writing the OP this week. any requests for content?

Feet

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

mcmagic posted:

the game looks amazing. i wish there wasn't a map.

I'm actually hoping it's not really required to progress, just mainly for making your own markings (which I will refuse to make)

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

skasion posted:

People need to stop making jokes about how this game will be bad and like an Ubisoft game because their jokes are making me cry

I would guess from its location that Mind replaces Attunement/increases your FP. Arcane is probably for a third type of magic, pyro/dark or whatever. Maybe Bloodborne style off-beat magic tools

Magic = blue glowing orbs
Arcane = red glowing orbs

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

going to artificially limit my 3080 so I only get 20 frames in open areas.

You wanna put a rule on that so it drops to 12 for visceral and ripostes

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Why the hell is it taking so long, I want proof that my feet pics weren’t enough to get chosen for the network test

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

aaah AAAAHHH AUUUUUUGGFFH MY FEET WERE WORTHY OF MICHAEL ZAKI

:darksouls::darksouls::darksouls::darksouls:

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

goblin week posted:

gently caress YES

Wir speilen tonight boiz

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

I watched the Vaati video and now will not watch anything until I get to play it. I SHOULD'VE WAITED

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Anyone who got accepted for the network test can play the main menu and title music of Elden Ring right now!

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

The change to flasks is..simply awesome. I watched Skillup’s video and totally agree with him. Usually the flaks mechanic makes leaving a bonfire feel like an expedition of attrition: go as far as you can before running out of flasks, then go back or maybe get to the next bonfire.

Elden Ring? Killing packs of enemies or a difficult enemy grants flask refills. Literally a keep going, keep fighting, keep exploring mechanic. He says it dramatically increases uptime and in this open world type game, it’s truly made perfect.

loving awesome.

This actually was the case in DS1 and 3 at least but you’d only ever come across it once or twice and without knowing because the refill criteria were 1) too high 2) never explained

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Still died more to gravity than anything else. This is so good. I haven’t even done anything yet!

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

https://twitter.com/cataferal/status/1459316814081671174?s=21

Ah from soft never change

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Which of you did I help kill the Pumpkin head with in four seconds?

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Eldenring/comments/qtwscc/youre_playing_it_wrong_a_comprehensive_guide_of/

Apparently the game is less about DS3 spam rolling, and much more interweaving rolls with blocks. And R2 counters.

And it seems that even blocks with 2-handed weapons have decent damage reductions and stability, though I haven't seen precise numbers.

I agree from what I played at least. A shield for me un DS3 was either for specific tanking or just to have on your back for whatever buff it might give. There seem to be some enemy attack patterns that absolutely cannot be dodged through entirely.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Given this game is pretty much everything that's come before, it seems like a John Sekiro build is viable. Just a katana, no shield, ash of war in lieu of prosthetics and parrying and guard countering everywhere.

That said I really do hope they implement some balance changes as a result of the stress test. Shields, jumping R2s, viscerals/criticals, guard counters are just waaay too powerful at the moment (not to mention most magic and the ashes of wa). But who knows maybe the starting area or beta was designed to be easy as hell once you've experimented with the mechanics and after that it's tough as nails.

:edit: also it'll never happen but I wish you could 'equip' either rolling or quick stepping as your dodge style.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Colonel Whitey posted:

Illusory Wall put out a video explaining a pretty neat feature that I haven't heard talked about : Group passwords. You can set a community password separate from the normal online password, which causes summon signs, messages, phantoms etc to appear different for people in your group and it doesn't block out the general public, so we could set up a goon password and still be able to engage in regular online coop/pvp etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQeIHOOrPdI

That’s good! I set a goons group password in the network test and had no idea what it was supposed to do

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

AllisonByProxy posted:

Here are all of the out of bounds areas I was able to explore based on how I named the videos!

Don't forget to check out my playlist if you haven't already!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLP8oSCobo-oxeM9Ly4nyWRyKbvI-Zc1Vp

Also Kotaku features some of my videos in a recent article: https://kotaku.com/elden-ring-players-discover-terrifying-bear-monster-bey-1848069894

can't wait 4 months to watch these after I've finished the game!

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GodFish posted:

I was going to argue Sekiro in that the Oldest Man actively tries to help you move the world forward until he's reincarnated by his grandson to fulfill his dying wish but the other Old Men are definitely ruining the world so really it comes out in a wash.

I loved this about sekiro, two old men and one is actually good, but ooops, a young man’s vain dying wish caused by the former glory of said old good man literally forces him to come back from the dead to kill you even tho it’s the exact opposite of what he wants.
But also I’m still torn between: Isshin fights you because it’s Genny’s dying wish and he has to honour it, or the that the power of the black gate forces Isshin to fight you against his will

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Colonel Whitey posted:

Dark Souls has a lot of levels with good ideas but playing it after the later games feels pretty bad. Like the only areas I actually enjoyed playing were the Undead Burg/Parish and Sen's fortress, everything else was kinda boring or just frustrating.

I went from DS3 first to BB and then to DS1 and Dark Souls gave me the most holy gently caress wow factor out of any of them. Mechanically yes they’re both better but really one of the best gaming moments I ever had was going up the elevator in undead parish to firelink shrine and thinking “oh god it all fits together so perfectly”. DS3 as my first souls game genuinely rekindled that ‘love of gaming’ feeling but DS1 absolutely solidified the entire soulsborne genre as a paradigm shift

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

https://twitter.com/ELDENRING/status/1463175573056937990?s=20

Looks like we all have permission

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

LongDarkNight posted:

Thanks for the replies. Picked up DS1. Downloading now. Going to crack into it tomorrow morning.

Trip report please, or just do what everyone else is doing now on these them forums and let us support mock and deride you while giving you the most oblique hints in history on twitch stream

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

bop bop perano posted:

yall see that new elden ring https://twitter.com/ELDENRING/status/1465712350732775438?s=20

i hope that's the overworld music in certain areas that aren't Limgrave, or if it changes up when significant events happen, etc. because it's nice and also just better than the music in Limgrave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Pulcinella posted:

TBF Demon’s Souls’ story is very straightforward. Evil king awakened an ancient being devouring that is devouring souls of all living beings. You have to stop them and save the world.

The only twists being that the Old One is basically just a big dog that happens to eat souls rather that kibble. It’s probably not inherently evil. Also the god of the church is actually the old one. Also the church is pretty corrupt. Also Boletaria was probably practically enslaving the miners, even before the evil king. Also Latria probably sucked even before the old monk arrived. I doubt the nightmare prison was built only after the monk took over. Also the isle of storms religion seems pretty grim. And the whole world took a metaphorical and literal dump on all the poor and abandoned people in the swamp. And in a normal JRPG you would be playing as Ostrava, or would at least recruit him to your party, so you would have to defeat his father, the evil king. Instead he offs himself right before the finish line.

Ok it has some twists and turns.

Edit: Also for everyone thinking the space portion will be Armored Core themed, you’re wrong. It’s actually Nebula: Echo Night themed and turns the game into a survival horror.

Edit 2:
Isn’t “the death rune was stolen” literally the start of Suikoden 1?

I thought the big twist was that there was no dichotomy between God and the Old One, because God created the old one. Miracles and sorcery are in fact one and the same, as evidenced by the cracked talisman that allows you to cast both, and God sent the old one to kill everyone for their sins.