Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I just showed my sons the tag game I made last night from the tutorials, and they had way more fun than I ever expected. We didn't even use joycons, but instead leaned in and used one 8bitdo controller :3:

GBG is already worth it, and it's only going to get better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

How robust is the modeling side of things? Do you have to use pre-made assets? Every shooter I've seen has you fighting the same blockhead dudes.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

How robust is the modeling side of things? Do you have to use pre-made assets? Every shooter I've seen has you fighting the same blockhead dudes.

Unless it's "to-be-discovered" , so far there are only a certain number of detailed 3D objects and characters. That video from the last page with 5 games that Gamexplain played involve a custom modeled dog, but it's blocky.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

As far as I can tell you can apply textures to the 3D models but you won't get control over animation frames. So theoretically that Doom one you could sit in the editor and recreate a sprite from Doom but it would just glide around while it chased you.

The Postman fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 13, 2021

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I'm feeling far too smug over solving the mystery room puzzle before the answer was revealed. Also that tutorial contains a bug, you can enter the answer and then break the crate.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Watching people play on Twitch. Seems like I stand corrected... You can make your own player sprite animations. I'm guessing you just have to work in texture changes with inputs or something

I have no idea if any of that can translate to 3D models though.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

The Postman posted:

You can make your own player sprite animations. I'm guessing you just have to work in texture changes with inputs or something

I’d like to see a proof of concept of this.
Another thing I really want to see is a menu area that tracks with the playable character.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

I’d like to see a proof of concept of this.
Another thing I really want to see is a menu area that tracks with the playable character.

https://youtu.be/GEOJekOoC-w

That's the one I saw somebody playing around with on Twitch. I haven't actually looked at the code to verify how they're doing it though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm thinking that you could make literally every Atari 2600 game with this. Thoughts?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm thinking that you could make literally every Atari 2600 game with this. Thoughts?

I think it's possible to do most of them once we work out a method for snap screen scrolling needed for games like adventure, however a couple, such as Raiders of the Lost Ark or Riddle of the Sphinx have both screen scrolling and menu tracking. So, we'll need menu tracking too. I guess I'm assuming there is some method of linking the movement of the screen with a menu.

I mean, it may be the case that the physics sim in garage is far too advanced to do something like pong accurately.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
https://twitter.com/Jalli128/status/1403830444236304387

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This is perfect.

Edit: a few more games to try:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPgfDnC8AT0

I think I'm only going to update the OP with goon games. Otherwise, we can just post pictures or videos for non-goon games ITT in general.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Okay, someone show me a better version of this that will lock to the camera position or something because I've been working on this for hours and I'm getting really pissed off.

Concept: Smooth tracking menu
G 000 CDF D8D

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Has anyone found a good way to create a player object that pitches up and down with the camera in a third person perspective (like in a plane sim or something)? The UFO entity doesn't have an angle port and using boxes doesn't seem to work for some reason.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

I’ve been a little frustrated with how limiting everything feels until I ran into this:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Polmo97/status/1403819136149557248

This Twitter account also has more mario like examples that mimic the actual games.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I’ve been a little frustrated with how limiting everything feels until I ran into this:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Polmo97/status/1403819136149557248

This Twitter account also has more mario like examples that mimic the actual games.

This is insane. Is the music done in post? It must be. Edit: I'm basing my question off of the video, I haven't played the game yet.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jun 14, 2021

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

This is insane. Is the music done in post? It must be. Edit: I'm basing my question off of the video, I haven't played the game yet.

Yep, the actual music is just the stock music. The video overdubbed it with 3DW music.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

DalaranJ posted:

I think it's possible to do most of them once we work out a method for snap screen scrolling needed for games like adventure,

Decided to take a crack at the scrolling you described here (what I dub "Zelda scrolling") and made a proof of concept. I tried to keep the code clean but the basic idea is:

1) Store a constant with the screen width.
2) Use a counter to represent how many screens the player is away from the origin.
3) Set the screen's x coordinate to the product of those two numbers.
4) Whenever the player's x coordinate exceeds that number, increment the counter.
5) Whenever the player's x coordinate is below the screen width times (counter minus one), decrement the counter.
6) Do the same with the height and z coordinate.

Example is at G-003-F6B-VJ2. Numbers output the current X and Z coordinate of the player character.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Given how remarkably nice the results are that first-timers are coming up with using GBG, I'm wondering how long until there's a de facto clone of it on Steam without the resource limits so people can make bigger "real" games using it and with Steam Workshop sharing.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I started out trying to make a simple RPG battle system and ended up with a fighting game somehow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNhjQdwpXx4

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Is there any way to do multiple controllers? Or is it a split joycon only kind of deal? I'm talking two pro controllers.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I regret buying this game, because even massively simplified coding is beyond me.

I'm enjoying some of the creations people have made, but don't find the design aspect fun or engaging. Hindsight, yadda yadda!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ratjaculation posted:

I regret buying this game, because even massively simplified coding is beyond me.

I'm enjoying some of the creations people have made, but don't find the design aspect fun or engaging. Hindsight, yadda yadda!

To be totally honest, if I didn't have kids who go absolutely nuts (in a good way) over the simplest of games that I've either made with the tutorial or downloaded, this likely wouldn't be worth it for me, either.

As it stands, I'm planning on making a pinball game, as well as a maze chasing game for them to play.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I'm honestly enjoying the tutorials a lot. I think a lot of connections I had trouble visualizing in Game Maker are actually coming together in Game Builder Garage. I don't think I'll build anything earth shattering in either language anytime soon, but this makes the learning process a bit more satisfying than what I'm used to. I'll be eager to see what the upper limits of this are over the coming months.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, it's astounding how much potential this has to actually 'take off' as time goes on.

I do really wish they had a lite version JUST for playing the games, maybe being able to look at the code underneath.

It'd also be nice to be able to export a more polished package. I don't mean polished gameplay, but have it so when you play a downloaded game from your list, it doesn't come across exactly the same way as something you built yourself, with the + button immediately going into the code side. I don't know, super small gripe, but I'm thinking of Mario Maker 2, how when you set up a level or especially a world, it sort of feels like a complete package when someone plays it; they don't see the behind the scenes stuff.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

looking behind the curtain of how other people are solving problems is the whole point

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

looking behind the curtain of how other people are solving problems is the whole point

No I get that, maybe I didn't explain it properly. And I just tried to write out a better explanation and it turns out, it's the dumbest and smallest gripe ever, so nm. Carry on! :shobon:

Bottom line: a bigger separation between seeing the code (which I agree is very useful) and playing a given game.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

Yeah, it's astounding how much potential this has to actually 'take off' as time goes on.

I do really wish they had a lite version JUST for playing the games, maybe being able to look at the code underneath.

It'd also be nice to be able to export a more polished package. I don't mean polished gameplay, but have it so when you play a downloaded game from your list, it doesn't come across exactly the same way as something you built yourself, with the + button immediately going into the code side. I don't know, super small gripe, but I'm thinking of Mario Maker 2, how when you set up a level or especially a world, it sort of feels like a complete package when someone plays it; they don't see the behind the scenes stuff.

Honestly I kinda agree with this. Having the programming button only show up on copies of downloaded games or something. That does hamper the whole "just hit a button to see how it works" thing though I guess.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

LeFishy posted:

Honestly I kinda agree with this. Having the programming button only show up on copies of downloaded games or something. That does hamper the whole "just hit a button to see how it works" thing though I guess.

I just think that there could be two options for downloaded games. One is Play and the other could be Inspect. That way, the games themselves can seem more like actual mini game packages, but whatever, functionally, it all still comes out the same.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Is there any way to do multiple controllers? Or is it a split joycon only kind of deal? I'm talking two pro controllers.

You can assign control input actions to a specific controllers input, yes. They just don't ever mention it in the tutorials.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

I was going to respond earlier but I forgot! Yeah the option is there for each button/stick input you can assign it to a controller 1-4.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Excellent, thanks!

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

I'm gonna be checking this out on-stream here in ten minutes if anyone wants to hang out. Warp world even allows you to submit level codes so feel free to do that as well!

https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

https://twitter.com/ShadowMewtwoY/status/1403467966612598787?s=19

Code is in the comments. Don't know if they're planning on going further, but at this point, Pac Man doesn't get anything from the power pellets.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

It may not be a lot, but even this much was exhausting.

https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1405389592283422720?s=20

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Fresh new batch of games from various people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROXTQWANQvU

Edit:

https://twitter.com/nintendolife/status/1405311736559833091?s=19

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 17, 2021

animesiter
Apr 12, 2005
My attempt at making a simple arcade style coin pusher game.
Game ID:
G 002 B0V PLW

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

animesiter posted:

My attempt at making a simple arcade style coin pusher game.
Game ID:
G 002 B0V PLW

I'll add it to the OP!

Additionally, here's a handy site to check out that's compiling a list of every game they can come across. I enjoyed Waluigi'd Taco Stand.

Edit: ok, so I loaded up the coin pusher, and it starts off with a ton of coins just flowing out of the triangle right away. I'm assuming that's unintentional? Eventually it stopped, and I was able to press A to shoot out one coin at a time.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 18, 2021

animesiter
Apr 12, 2005

I'll add it to the OP!

Additionally, here's a handy site to check out that's compiling a list of every game they can come across. I enjoyed Waluigi'd Taco Stand.

Edit: ok, so I loaded up the coin pusher, and it starts off with a ton of coins just flowing out of the triangle right away. I'm assuming that's unintentional? Eventually it stopped, and I was able to press A to shoot out one coin at a time.

Thanks for checking it out. That initial surge of coins was actually for setting up the table to give you more coins to push (have it set up to block the drain for the first 10 seconds as its loading them, and as soon as it breaks it enables the players coin shooter)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Found this on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Lassikko/status/1405909948266024965?s=19