Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

June 11th, 2020, Nintendo gave the world the pseudo sequel to the LABO game maker thingy, Game Builder Garage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXG4KdstVw4

In-depth review from Nintendolife:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4bn6rk767g

Live footage of Alex from Nintendolife building a game. At this posting, it's about 3 hours long so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaDRRTJoT2g

Being goons, we obviously have to go crazy with this.

OP to be updated. In the meantime, post any and all GBG content you come up with. Really looking forward to seeing what people end up making with this. :allears:

This OP will also contain any and all game codes that are posted ITT, in two categories; one for goon made, and the other for non-goon made.

--------------

GAMES:

Goon-made:

DalaranJ posted:

Okay, here’s a rudimentary HP tracker.
G 005 JJH NYB

Sam Faust posted:

It may not be a lot, but even this much was exhausting.

https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1405389592283422720?s=20

animesiter posted:

My attempt at making a simple arcade style coin pusher game.
Game ID:
G 002 B0V PLW

Non-goon-made:

A big list can be found at The My Garage site, which is constantly updated.

shame on an IGA posted:

Jesus christ it's been one day and someone already made DOOM

G 000 2HV VLG

A few basic titles made so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZVpU6_UZcU

--------------

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

One thing I'm already thankful for is that you can use gyro aiming to control the pointer.

Why Mario Maker 2 didn't have this is beyond me. I love it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Bloop posted:

I appreciate this thread and I'm really looking forward to some goon creations

The name will always always make me think of this lady, though:

She's living her true self.

Also, drat, looking at the Switch thread title, I should have titled this one "Build your own Uncle from Nintendo"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Postman posted:

I haven't been paying super close attention to every bit of text in the tutorials, but I appreciate that it's been trying to present some foundation for decent game design.

Mario Maker gives you all the tools to make a level and then doesn't really do anything to help the user understand what makes a compelling level. It's nice that Game Builder Garage seems to be planting little seeds to help direct the design process.

Doesn't that pigeon get into level design ideas and logic? Not just "this does that", but really "this is what makes something fun"?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

Jesus christ it's been one day and someone already made DOOM

G 000 2HV VLG

Added to the OP.

Here's Andre from Gamexplain playing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8oUjTLzWpQ

Edit: also found this, adding to the OP as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZVpU6_UZcU

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 13, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I just showed my sons the tag game I made last night from the tutorials, and they had way more fun than I ever expected. We didn't even use joycons, but instead leaned in and used one 8bitdo controller :3:

GBG is already worth it, and it's only going to get better.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

How robust is the modeling side of things? Do you have to use pre-made assets? Every shooter I've seen has you fighting the same blockhead dudes.

Unless it's "to-be-discovered" , so far there are only a certain number of detailed 3D objects and characters. That video from the last page with 5 games that Gamexplain played involve a custom modeled dog, but it's blocky.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm thinking that you could make literally every Atari 2600 game with this. Thoughts?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This is perfect.

Edit: a few more games to try:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPgfDnC8AT0

I think I'm only going to update the OP with goon games. Otherwise, we can just post pictures or videos for non-goon games ITT in general.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I’ve been a little frustrated with how limiting everything feels until I ran into this:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Polmo97/status/1403819136149557248

This Twitter account also has more mario like examples that mimic the actual games.

This is insane. Is the music done in post? It must be. Edit: I'm basing my question off of the video, I haven't played the game yet.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jun 14, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Is there any way to do multiple controllers? Or is it a split joycon only kind of deal? I'm talking two pro controllers.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ratjaculation posted:

I regret buying this game, because even massively simplified coding is beyond me.

I'm enjoying some of the creations people have made, but don't find the design aspect fun or engaging. Hindsight, yadda yadda!

To be totally honest, if I didn't have kids who go absolutely nuts (in a good way) over the simplest of games that I've either made with the tutorial or downloaded, this likely wouldn't be worth it for me, either.

As it stands, I'm planning on making a pinball game, as well as a maze chasing game for them to play.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, it's astounding how much potential this has to actually 'take off' as time goes on.

I do really wish they had a lite version JUST for playing the games, maybe being able to look at the code underneath.

It'd also be nice to be able to export a more polished package. I don't mean polished gameplay, but have it so when you play a downloaded game from your list, it doesn't come across exactly the same way as something you built yourself, with the + button immediately going into the code side. I don't know, super small gripe, but I'm thinking of Mario Maker 2, how when you set up a level or especially a world, it sort of feels like a complete package when someone plays it; they don't see the behind the scenes stuff.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

looking behind the curtain of how other people are solving problems is the whole point

No I get that, maybe I didn't explain it properly. And I just tried to write out a better explanation and it turns out, it's the dumbest and smallest gripe ever, so nm. Carry on! :shobon:

Bottom line: a bigger separation between seeing the code (which I agree is very useful) and playing a given game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

LeFishy posted:

Honestly I kinda agree with this. Having the programming button only show up on copies of downloaded games or something. That does hamper the whole "just hit a button to see how it works" thing though I guess.

I just think that there could be two options for downloaded games. One is Play and the other could be Inspect. That way, the games themselves can seem more like actual mini game packages, but whatever, functionally, it all still comes out the same.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Excellent, thanks!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

https://twitter.com/ShadowMewtwoY/status/1403467966612598787?s=19

Code is in the comments. Don't know if they're planning on going further, but at this point, Pac Man doesn't get anything from the power pellets.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Fresh new batch of games from various people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROXTQWANQvU

Edit:

https://twitter.com/nintendolife/status/1405311736559833091?s=19

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 17, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

animesiter posted:

My attempt at making a simple arcade style coin pusher game.
Game ID:
G 002 B0V PLW

I'll add it to the OP!

Additionally, here's a handy site to check out that's compiling a list of every game they can come across. I enjoyed Waluigi'd Taco Stand.

Edit: ok, so I loaded up the coin pusher, and it starts off with a ton of coins just flowing out of the triangle right away. I'm assuming that's unintentional? Eventually it stopped, and I was able to press A to shoot out one coin at a time.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 18, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Seymour Buttz posted:

I don't think it's a dumb gripe at all. I don't have the game yet so I don't know what it actually looks like but like, this game/application is the only place where these games will be played, so it'd be nice if your finished projects could be presented and experienced as stand-alone products when people download them.

Well, I was thinking about this more, and realized that one of the reasons it bugs me is that at any moment, if you press +, you get all of the 'code' and the game you're playing just restarts afterwards. I'd definitely love something more standalone yeah. And then show off the code from a button press in the menu.

The way it is makes the games seem less like games and more like downloaded save files.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I get that, but to me GBG felt more like a nice and easy introduction to some central concepts in game programming and less like a full-fledged game development suite.

If you get the urge, you can take what you learned in GBG and start applying those lessons to more advanced tools*.

* admittedly GBG doesn't teach you actual programming, but I'm one of those guys who will to his grave insist that the most difficult thing in learning programming is learning algorithmic thinking, and once you've got that down the rest is just basically grammar. But then again aside from messing with Turbo Pascal back in the 90s, I basically learned programming at university, where they took us from pseudo to Python to Java and finally to whatever the hell any individual course might demand.

I agree with this, definitely. Like I originally said, it was an admittedly very small gripe. Just a presentation thing, really.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

EightFlyingCars posted:

I made a skeet-shooting game that you play by aiming with a detached joy-con's gyroscope. Give it a try!

https://mygarage.games/game/2119

I really liked this, though it was a bit difficult to determine where I'd be shooting. I hope you keep at it, because I'd love to play a slightly more polished version.

Really loves how my gun was mimicking how my controller was held :toot:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Pirate Radar posted:

Is there a way to program hitscan weapons in this?

My first guess would be to have an extended, invisible cylinder from your gun that's so long it goes the length of the playing area, and then you'd have to say that if the cylinder is touching an enemy AND you're hitting fire, destroy the enemy. Kind of like the punching in the tutorial, but expanded.

There's probably a better way though.

Edit: fake it with SUPER fast, invisible projectiles that have no gravity?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

Compared to Mario Maker it’s a real pain. The moment of realization when you put enemies on the screen and realize that if you want them to do anything you have to construct AI from scratch.

Yep. I have an idea from many years ago when I tried my hand at making something in Unity that I'll likely bring back with this, but man, it's gonna be quite the experience getting there.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

EightFlyingCars posted:

I experimented with that first method for other purposes and I'm not sure it would work. Objects can only be so long, so in order to get a hitscan weapon with any kind of reach you'd need to connect objects end-to-end. But when you do that, the game's physics kick in and make the whole thing really wobbly, kind of like you're waving around a pool noodle. So not only does that mean it wouldn't accurately track the player's aim because it would always lag behind where they're pointing, but there's also a good chance that the whole thing would just snap in half while you wave it around, especially if you're using gyroscopic controls. As far as I can tell, there's no way to disable physics acting on objects in the same way that you can disable gravity.

As far as the second idea goes, I already have the gun's launcher object ignoring gravity and launching as fast as the game will allow it to; a speed of 100 seems like the cap. It's not the worst thing for a skeet-shooting game where having to lead your shots is a part of how the actual sport works, but I do wish I could have made the shots go a liiiittle bit faster.

It might be worth experimenting with a kind of aim assist by attaching the attractor nodon to targets instead?

As for the speed, can you use a multiplier to increase it?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

EightFlyingCars posted:

So it turns out that if you attach even a super long touch sensor to the end of a gun and use that with an AND operator with a button press, it actually does work like a really long punch! Rupert Buttermilk was right all along!

We got hitscan weapons, baby

edit: Unfortunately, touch sensors can only be 10m in length and I don't see any way of sticking more of them end-on-end, so until that can be figured out, using touch sensors for hitscan guns is really going to limit your range

What about a combination of super long invisible block, plus a ball (bullet) spawner at the end of that so the bullets have less of a distance to travel, and hit the target much sooner?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Fixins posted:

So did this die out? I was looking at it with interest in a "I don't have much time to hobby program maybe I can get my output with this" but no one seems to talk about it anymore

I don't think it's dead or anything, but at least for me Mario Golf (esp with goons) has taken over my Switch time lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

animesiter posted:

Another update to my pinball game, figured out how to increase the speed of the ball quite a bit. And made various other fixes and tweaks.
Ultra Pinball (1.4)
G-004-BHW-0KV

Oh, meant to say earlier, I really enjoyed your pinball game, and can't wait to try this new version out. My only issue was the speed of the ball, so :toot: