Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Thanks for putting together the thread! I think mine is sitting in my mailbox right now. Going to dig into it a bit during lunch and see what garbage I can make this weekend before I exclusively play other people's good games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Enjoying it so far. I did the first lesson which was definitely very thorough, but I get that I'm not the target audience. Playing around in free programming definitely makes it clear the tutorials will go into a lot that isn't immediately apparent to me.

The Nodopedia has been fairly helpful too, but I think I'll definitely need to plug through each lesson just to understand everything at my disposal.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Does anyone know if you're able to edit downloaded games? I feel like I could learn a lot from looking behind the scenes in a well executed game.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I haven't been paying super close attention to every bit of text in the tutorials, but I appreciate that it's been trying to present some foundation for decent game design.

Mario Maker gives you all the tools to make a level and then doesn't really do anything to help the user understand what makes a compelling level. It's nice that Game Builder Garage seems to be planting little seeds to help direct the design process.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Huh, yeah, I'm one of the people that totally missed that. Good to know they at least made it available in-game then.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

Jesus christ it's been one day and someone already made DOOM

G 000 2HV VLG

This is great.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Was looking at the guts of the Doom game to figure out what BGM combo managed to be so spot on... I didn't even realize the sound Nodon has actual instruments and notes you can use to make your own music.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

How robust is the modeling side of things? Do you have to use pre-made assets? Every shooter I've seen has you fighting the same blockhead dudes.

As far as I can tell you can apply textures to the 3D models but you won't get control over animation frames. So theoretically that Doom one you could sit in the editor and recreate a sprite from Doom but it would just glide around while it chased you.

The Postman fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 13, 2021

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Watching people play on Twitch. Seems like I stand corrected... You can make your own player sprite animations. I'm guessing you just have to work in texture changes with inputs or something

I have no idea if any of that can translate to 3D models though.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

I’d like to see a proof of concept of this.
Another thing I really want to see is a menu area that tracks with the playable character.

https://youtu.be/GEOJekOoC-w

That's the one I saw somebody playing around with on Twitch. I haven't actually looked at the code to verify how they're doing it though.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I'm honestly enjoying the tutorials a lot. I think a lot of connections I had trouble visualizing in Game Maker are actually coming together in Game Builder Garage. I don't think I'll build anything earth shattering in either language anytime soon, but this makes the learning process a bit more satisfying than what I'm used to. I'll be eager to see what the upper limits of this are over the coming months.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/CarsonKompon/status/140595379667357286

Someone recreated VVVVVV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I just noticed the News channel for Game Builder Garage posted a little template for dashing with the B button you can download from Nintendo's own in-game account. I read a rumor they would be making some games available after launch so it might be worth keeping an eye on that.

As for interest levels... I also got sucked into Mario Golf. I don't think I'm ever going to create anything extensive, but I did get to toy with some ideas and see some cool creations so far. Worth the price of admission in my opinion, and I'll continue checking out people's creations. I have my doubts it'll maintain a solid following though.