Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Oh, hey, I was wondering some things before I pick up this game.
Can you build animated sprite based 2d games?
Can you add menus?
Can you store game data in variables?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Argue posted:

You can!

In other news, I'm trying to work out design patterns for reusable components, but I'm being blocked primarily by my seeming inability to just store... a number. Like a flag, but let it output values other than 0 and 1.

You should use counters to store variables. Would be nice to, you know, name variables, but we’re the fools dumb enough to buy a programming game from Nintendo.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Okay, here’s a rudimentary HP tracker.
G 005 JJH NYB

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 12, 2021

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I'm feeling far too smug over solving the mystery room puzzle before the answer was revealed. Also that tutorial contains a bug, you can enter the answer and then break the crate.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

The Postman posted:

You can make your own player sprite animations. I'm guessing you just have to work in texture changes with inputs or something

I’d like to see a proof of concept of this.
Another thing I really want to see is a menu area that tracks with the playable character.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm thinking that you could make literally every Atari 2600 game with this. Thoughts?

I think it's possible to do most of them once we work out a method for snap screen scrolling needed for games like adventure, however a couple, such as Raiders of the Lost Ark or Riddle of the Sphinx have both screen scrolling and menu tracking. So, we'll need menu tracking too. I guess I'm assuming there is some method of linking the movement of the screen with a menu.

I mean, it may be the case that the physics sim in garage is far too advanced to do something like pong accurately.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Okay, someone show me a better version of this that will lock to the camera position or something because I've been working on this for hours and I'm getting really pissed off.

Concept: Smooth tracking menu
G 000 CDF D8D

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is there any way to do multiple controllers? Or is it a split joycon only kind of deal? I'm talking two pro controllers.

You can assign control input actions to a specific controllers input, yes. They just don't ever mention it in the tutorials.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

Is there a way to program hitscan weapons in this?

It should be possible.

1. Use an angle sensor nodon to get the firing characters facing direction.
2. Use position sensors between the firing character and the target and subtracted by calculator nodon to get relative position difference.
3. Do a trigonometric calculation to get the resulting angle value.
4. Compare facing angle with target direction angle and hit if they match.

Then you get to write a subroutine that calculates how much targeting error is allowed depending on the distance and size of the target so have fun with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Ratjaculation posted:

I tried my best and just can't grapple coding, sadly. But I'm loving the goons creations, you're all very talented.

Compared to Mario Maker it’s a real pain. The moment of realization when you put enemies on the screen and realize that if you want them to do anything you have to construct AI from scratch.