Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

I made a skeet-shooting game that you play by aiming with a detached joy-con's gyroscope. Give it a try!

https://mygarage.games/game/2119

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I really liked this, though it was a bit difficult to determine where I'd be shooting. I hope you keep at it, because I'd love to play a slightly more polished version.

Really loves how my gun was mimicking how my controller was held :toot:

Hey, thanks for playing! I had a hard time tuning things exactly the way I wanted, since there's a pretty low hard cap to how fast launched objects (read: bullets) can move, which can make shooting games a little difficult to balance.

But the shooting itself feels really good, huh? I'm definitely going to be using it in more games down the road!

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

My first guess would be to have an extended, invisible cylinder from your gun that's so long it goes the length of the playing area, and then you'd have to say that if the cylinder is touching an enemy AND you're hitting fire, destroy the enemy. Kind of like the punching in the tutorial, but expanded.

There's probably a better way though.

Edit: fake it with SUPER fast, invisible projectiles that have no gravity?

I experimented with that first method for other purposes and I'm not sure it would work. Objects can only be so long, so in order to get a hitscan weapon with any kind of reach you'd need to connect objects end-to-end. But when you do that, the game's physics kick in and make the whole thing really wobbly, kind of like you're waving around a pool noodle. So not only does that mean it wouldn't accurately track the player's aim because it would always lag behind where they're pointing, but there's also a good chance that the whole thing would just snap in half while you wave it around, especially if you're using gyroscopic controls. As far as I can tell, there's no way to disable physics acting on objects in the same way that you can disable gravity.

As far as the second idea goes, I already have the gun's launcher object ignoring gravity and launching as fast as the game will allow it to; a speed of 100 seems like the cap. It's not the worst thing for a skeet-shooting game where having to lead your shots is a part of how the actual sport works, but I do wish I could have made the shots go a liiiittle bit faster.

It might be worth experimenting with a kind of aim assist by attaching the attractor nodon to targets instead?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

As for the speed, can you use a multiplier to increase it?

That's a good idea, and I checked, but since a launcher's launch speed is set within the node itself and not set with an input, there doesn't seem to be a way to crack the top speed baked into the node.

For my next game I'm just going to rely on having more targets closer to the player so that the relatively slow top launch speed doesn't cause too many problems.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

EightFlyingCars posted:

poo poo about the touch sensors that was actually wrong!

So it turns out that if you attach even a super long touch sensor to the end of a gun and use that with an AND operator with a button press, it actually does work like a really long punch! Rupert Buttermilk was right all along!

We got hitscan weapons, baby

edit: Unfortunately, touch sensors can only be 10m in length and I don't see any way of sticking more of them end-on-end, so until that can be figured out, using touch sensors for hitscan guns is really going to limit your range

EightFlyingCars fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 23, 2021