Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Has anyone found a good way to create a player object that pitches up and down with the camera in a third person perspective (like in a plane sim or something)? The UFO entity doesn't have an angle port and using boxes doesn't seem to work for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

DalaranJ posted:

I think it's possible to do most of them once we work out a method for snap screen scrolling needed for games like adventure,

Decided to take a crack at the scrolling you described here (what I dub "Zelda scrolling") and made a proof of concept. I tried to keep the code clean but the basic idea is:

1) Store a constant with the screen width.
2) Use a counter to represent how many screens the player is away from the origin.
3) Set the screen's x coordinate to the product of those two numbers.
4) Whenever the player's x coordinate exceeds that number, increment the counter.
5) Whenever the player's x coordinate is below the screen width times (counter minus one), decrement the counter.
6) Do the same with the height and z coordinate.

Example is at G-003-F6B-VJ2. Numbers output the current X and Z coordinate of the player character.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Found this on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Lassikko/status/1405909948266024965?s=19