Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I like the music a lot. It's definitely inspired by Zero Escape's music but it has its own unique flavor that's just a bit more tense on the whole (which is funny since the obvious stakes initially appear a lot lower; the protagonists have no time limit, have no apparent restrictions on how they can go about solving rooms or who to solve them with so long as they get solved, and even when Jasmine dies it just comes out of nowhere*).

Twins because they might actually want to converse vs. Ray who might just tell us to gently caress off unless talking is strictly necessary.

*: Contrast 999's opening where (minor spoilers for 999) the protagonist gets inspired to leave his starting bunk by the window breaking and letting water fill the joint, then the group is told they have 9 hours to finish the game or else the ship sinks and everyone drowns, then suddenly the Ninth man decides he's above the rules only to prove a visceral example that 1. he is not and 2. the collars will kill you if you violate the rules. It's a relatively minor thing and possibly unfair to compare the game against, but still...

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jun 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

E because she's the person we've interacted with the least and we should know something about her besides that we have to use Braille pens to communicate.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

that's not how that works

the odds of someone seeing a 'miracle'/something that 'should' only happen one time in a million goes up, sure

but it is still not a guarantee that anyone will still see it happen

and it is absolutely not a guarantee that you are the one to see it rather than one of the rest of the million people if it does happen

and there's no way to know if whoever's figured the math right on how often that event in fact happens. it might be way more common for one reason or another than once in a million

and even if you could tell that for sure, there's definitely one-in-a-million chance events you wouldn't even recognize as such because the only delineating factor is that they're very uncommon, not that they actually feel like anything special, interesting, or valuable to our goofy monkey brains

at least when 999 talked about ice-9 it was in a way that didn't destroy suspension of disbelief. this might as well launch into a sales pitch for The Secret

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

wasn't saying the referred thing wasn't a real thing, just that it's being abused heavily to imply "miracles happen all the time!!" rather than the more accurate "just because something's statistically improbable doesn't mean that it being observed is significant; throw enough numbers at anything and you WILL get a weird result somewhere"

e: even more accurate: "throw an experiment with a big enough sample size at a theory and you can get 'results' to 'prove' it, no matter what the theory is"

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 21, 2021

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

A is by far the most suspicious of them all, and if our protagonist were smarter than a box of hammers he'd at least have picked out Ray thanks to the use of "he" when referring to one of the other acquaintances A thinks is Smiley. But no, he's going to suspect Jasmine because she's chaaaaaaaaaaaanged. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Well, sure, in death games you can't really rule anyone out except yourself, but A's comment is "And if the one I suspect to be the accomplice is Smiley himself, then... I have no doubt he wouldn't even think twice before killing you, your friends, and everyone else." He clearly thinks Smiley is a man, and that the accomplice is a man as well, thus that it's not impossible that the accomplice is also Smiley. Or at the least, that's the clear hint he's chosen to drop. If he thought Smiley and the accomplice were different genders from each other, or both women, there's no way that statement makes sense, so that leaves Marco and Ray taking the comment at face value. He of course could be very wrong about Smiley or the accomplice being a man vs. a woman, but then at that point he could also be wrong about the accomplice being Simon's friend and then everyone's a suspect. If we stick to the 'acquaintance' language, well... A is now rather a bit of an acquaintance, in fact much more so than the twins and arguably Ray as well.