Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
The Ring is still a classic to this day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

O-Unit
Oct 22, 2005

down n out posted:

The Ring is still a classic to this day

Seconding this. The original Japanese version is incredible

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Martyrs is probably the most unsettling film I've ever seen. There might be a couple of jump scares in it - I've only seen it once, over a decade a go but it stuck with me. I will not watch it again.

Kill List is another off beat horror about two hitmen that take a contract from some weird hotel room dudes and the entire thing gets increasingly more bat poo poo.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Messiah of Evil

June 4 2021
Jun 4, 2021

by Pragmatica
Noroi (The Curse, 2005)
Possession (1981)
The Transfiguration (2016)
The Entity (1982)
Winterbeast (1991)
Haze (2005)

Not so much horror, but a weird thriller: White of the Eye (1987) Highly recommened.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsAhBvrFcqY

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Jacob's Ladder (1990)

iirc it's one of the movies the Silent Hill devs watched to get inspiration (one of the others is Kindergarten Cop for some reason but I don't think that's the sort of movie you're looking for), it does have one scene that I would very VERY loosely describe as a jump scare but it's really well done so it's worth it

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The old psychological thriller thread in CD has a ton of stuff.

Session 9 is good.
Folks already mentioned It Follows, Rosemary’s Baby, Jacob’s Ladder and Babadook, they are worthwhile.

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Martyrs is probably the most unsettling film I've ever seen. There might be a couple of jump scares in it - I've only seen it once, over a decade a go but it stuck with me. I will not watch it again.

This movie is loving horrifying and is basically “what if we made human centipede but tried to put emotional weight and meaning behind it”. I also will never watch it again. Still good though, even if it jumps the shark in the last 5 minutes.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

blatman posted:

Jacob's Ladder (1990)

iirc it's one of the movies the Silent Hill devs watched to get inspiration (one of the others is Kindergarten Cop for some reason but I don't think that's the sort of movie you're looking for), it does have one scene that I would very VERY loosely describe as a jump scare but it's really well done so it's worth it

Yesss, forgot about this one. I first saw it when I was a teen in the early 2000's and wasn't impressed because I'd seen it all before. I dumbly didn't realize it was the origin for the stuff I'd seen before.

I also haven't seen it in years, but I remember Angel Heart having a rich, unsettling vibe. Dirty and sordid.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

This thread reminded me that The Girl Next Door (Not the rom-com, the other film) exists. :smith: No jump scares or cheap thrills in it. Don't watch it if child abuse triggers you in any way whatsoever.

I'm going to take a long walk outside in the sun now.

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew
Lake Mongo and the Badlands are both all about atmosphere and Tension building and each has an unsettling ending to match.
Session 9 is similar with an incredible atmosphere and nice slow build, but I found the ending underwhelming, so if you absolutely need a good payoff, maybe don't do that one
Creep isn't bad for this either. There probably were some jump scares in there though

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew
Oh also Pulse(Kairo) is super unsettling. Pretty much all atmosphere, with a thin plot. Beautifully made film.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
this one is good but its in spanish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWtrJKnnTtc

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Kill List is another off beat horror about two hitmen that take a contract from some weird hotel room dudes and the entire thing gets increasingly more bat poo poo.

Fun fact: Kill List is a loose adaptation of Arthurian legend!

Add to the list The Wicker Man (1973). Freaks out every Christian I watch it with

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The Serpent & the Rainbow (1988)

Awful lot of good movies in this thread, but I don’t think I saw this one listed. It’s (I think) Wes Craven’s best work that deals with Haitian Vodou and an overall supernatural atmosphere. I actually saw this in theaters with my childhood friend and his older brother, and it’s stuck with me ever since.

Another similar film that came out a year prior dealing with brujería is The Believers (1987). Great performances from Martin Sheen and Jimmy Smits.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I dunno if it counts as horror but the original funny games is quite disturbing.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
How about DONNIE DARKO!!!!

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
The thing is the greatest movie ever you dumb sob wizard master

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
The Invitation is a slow burn of a movie but the ending is good and makes it worthwhile

I really liked The Taking of Deborah Logan but there may be like 2-3 jump scare moments, its been awhile since I've seen it

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Also the Ring is the only asian horror movie that got americanized where I prefer the american version. Every other time it was done they completely hosed it up (KAIRO) but The Ring is good

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I just watched the movie "Caveat", and it scared the poo poo out of me. The plot is intentionally a bit unexplained, but there's a scene where a seemingly dead body pops its head up in a crawlspace that is one of the scariest things I've seen on film in a long time, I jumped and freaked out my wife who was asleep at the time.

I'll also recommending both the US and Japanese Ring (along with the Japanese Ring 2), there's an incredible sense of dread built through those movies.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Hadn't heard of Caveat, definitely going to give it a watch, ty fancy

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Revins posted:

Hadn't heard of Caveat, definitely going to give it a watch, ty fancy

It's on Shudder, which every horror movie fan should have. Best streaming site, I cannot recommend it enough.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
The Invitation
The Loved Ones
The Babadook
Hereditary
Don't Breathe

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Savageland
Bad Ben

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Movies don't easily scare me for whatever reason but I can think of only two movies that ever did. They are

Vacancy

and

High Tension

However, High Tension probably had the worst ending I've ever seen in a movie in my entire life (Roger Ebert described it as "a plot hole so bad that you could drive a truck through it, and in fact a truck literally drove through it) so I would instead recommend The Visit even though I typically hate M Night's plot twists.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
The jump scene when the tremor spits out the generator scared the poo poo out of me but i was like 7

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
The Pitch Perfect series terrified the hell out of me

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Fruits of the sea posted:

This thread reminded me that The Girl Next Door (Not the rom-com, the other film) exists. :smith: No jump scares or cheap thrills in it. Don't watch it if child abuse triggers you in any way whatsoever.

I'm going to take a long walk outside in the sun now.

Came to post this. In some ways I feel the “movie” shouldn’t even exist. It’s wrenching.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Dead and Buried from 1981 is really good and criminally overlooked.

It has some really incredible special effects except for the acid pour into the head, which looks really fake and a constant feeling that something is very wrong with the town but you're just missing one piece of evidence to find out what it is.

And The House of the Devil is pretty much the definition of slow-burn horror. Extremely atmospheric, Tom Noonan is amazing in it, and there's a truly shocking scene about halfway through that sets the tone for the insanity that's about to come in the movie.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

CarpenterWalrus posted:

Add to the list The Wicker Man (1973). Freaks out every Christian I watch it with

The only person that gets hurt is someone who you very much want to see get burned alive in a wicker man. Everyone else is just having a fun costume party on their island utopia.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Paranormal Activity 5

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Archer666 posted:

Savageland

this movie convinced me that one of the strongest factors in making something scary/enjoyable is good sound design and pacing

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Suspiria, Hereditary, Rosemary's Baby, Possession, It Follows, The Wicker Man (70's)

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Also, Calvaire: The Ordeal

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Archer666 posted:

Savageland
Bad Ben

Another found footage fan. Savageland is excellent but I found Bad Ben to be a bit boring, I didn't finish watching it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Speaking of found footage, I still really enjoy the original The Blair Witch Project. I get that a lot of folks hate that it's just 3 kids getting pissed off in the woods, but it sells the desperation, frustration and hopelessness. I'm sure due in no small part to them not actually acting.

I'm a big fan of the Stumbling Across A Terrible, Silent Aftermath thing (see Come and See), and TBWP does it very well. This is always the best part of zombie movies, IMO.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Das Boo posted:

Speaking of found footage, I still really enjoy the original The Blair Witch Project. I get that a lot of folks hate that it's just 3 kids getting pissed off in the woods, but it sells the desperation, frustration and hopelessness. I'm sure due in no small part to them not actually acting.

I'm a big fan of the Stumbling Across A Terrible, Silent Aftermath thing (see Come and See), and TBWP does it very well. This is always the best part of zombie movies, IMO.

Yeah I'm a huge Blair Witch Project defender. The point is the witch is loving with the group and manipulating things to make them go in circles until they're exhausted and angry with each other then she comes in and does [insert whatever your imagination comes up with] and its an effective horror movie and I like it

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I want to see a director fully commit to the found footage gimmick and film an entire movie and then leave it to be discovered in a random basement or storage unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
Honestly people have listed the best in here so not much to contribute. BUT for a movie that isn't what you would consider traditional "horror," I suggest The Invisible Man (2020). Some truly terrifying parts in there that aren't jump scare related, but are psychological. The main actress does a great job.